Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New HC candidates

What kind of high dollars are people talking for Tate? I'm not seeing it. I think he'll get a decent little contract, but I don't see him breaking anyone's bank.

Tate would've been nice for a team like the colts to pair with Donald brown. Maybe the jags with mojo declining. Falcons...browns...

The falcons will be perfect for Tate. S-Jax will be cut and Gonzo will likely retire to free up some cap space and he will fit in nicely there.

What the hell...I'm talking the falcons on the texans MB. Guh.

What kind of high dollars are people talking for Tate? I'm not seeing it. I think he'll get a decent little contract, but I don't see him breaking anyone's bank.

Tate would've been nice for a team like the colts to pair with Donald brown. Maybe the jags with mojo declining. Falcons...browns...

If we let Tate leave who is Yates going to talk to while on the bench during games?

Bill O'Brien was mentioned and would be interesting. He might be ready to leave Penn State. He was with the Patriots during their prolific years but its easy with Brady and Moss. He coached McGloin into making an NFL squad.

No, no Irish, they will just come to Reliant and drink up all the liquor.

Pallilo is on the air right now (790 AM) talking about how ridiculous McNair's paramaters are for the HC job.

He pointed out that a slew of successful NFL head coaches were hired without having prior head-coaching experience at the pro or college level: Holmgren, Reid, Joe Gibbs, Dungy, Cowher, Tomlin, John Harbaugh, McCarthy.....even the legendary Lovie Smith.

Pallilo theorizes that McNair's prerequsites make it easier for him to say afterward, if the guys fails, "Well, he had head-coaching experience."

Smart guy, that Charlie.

Report: Texans not interested in Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden; LINK

If the Sunday morning report that Mike Shanahan wanted to resign last January because he was uncomfortable with the close relationship between Redskins owner Dan Snyder and franchise quarterback Robert Griffin III was all a ploy to get out of Washington to pursue the recently vacated Texans job, then we have some bad news for him.
According to the Houston Chronicle's John McClain, the Texans aren't interested in Shanahan. Same holds for ESPN's Jon Gruden.

That should squash any Shanny or Chucky rumors.

Let's see, you mentioned:
Colts
Jags
Falcons
Browns

Throw these into the mix:
Titans -- big chance they ditch CJ2K
Ravens -- Ray Rice has been a disappointment this year
Raiders -- McFadden is done, I think
Cowboys -- Demarco Murry is a walking injury
Niners -- If Gore really is at the end of his career
Patriots -- Because they're the Patriots

That's 10 possible landing spots other than the Texans. I don't know everyone who's going to be looking for a new team and I don't think Ben is going to be the biggest name in the mix, but I think he's going to command a long, hard look by a lot of teams looking to upgrade their run game.

Let's see, you mentioned:
Colts
Jags
Falcons
Browns

Throw these into the mix:
Titans -- big chance they ditch CJ2K
Ravens -- Ray Rice has been a disappointment this year
Raiders -- McFadden is done, I think
Cowboys -- Demarco Murry is a walking injury
Niners -- If Gore really is at the end of his career
Patriots -- Because they're the Patriots

That's 10 possible landing spots other than the Texans. I don't know everyone who's going to be looking for a new team and I don't think Ben is going to be the biggest name in the mix, but I think he's going to command a long, hard look by a lot of teams looking to upgrade their run game.

Tate has been inured a lot too. And in a what have you done for me lately business its not like tate is setting the world on fire. A long hard look? I dont see that.

Rbs arent really given big deals if they arent considered special. And tate isnt special. Im trying to think of a comparable player and what they got paid but im drawing a blank...

Tate has been inured a lot too. And in a what have you done for me lately business its not like tate is setting the world on fire. A long hard look? I dont see that.

Rbs arent really given big deals if they arent considered special. And tate isnt special. Im trying to think of a comparable player and what they got paid but im drawing a blank...

You know, you might be right. With the market for RBs as it is, he might not command that much money.

If we look back to last year, the two best RBs on the market were Steven Jackson and Reggie Bush. I don't think Tate has their reputation or notoriety and they're the only ones who really got a decent contract. Tate's probably more along the lines of a Chris Ivory or an Ahmad Bradshaw and I don't think either of those guys really broke the bank.

The question is going to be whether he thinks he can be a starter here vs. somewhere fresh.

So. I take it back. We might be able to re-sign Tate pretty easily... if we want to.

You know, you might be right. With the market for RBs as it is, he might not command that much money.

If we look back to last year, the two best RBs on the market were Steven Jackson and Reggie Bush. I don't think Tate has their reputation or notoriety and they're the only ones who really got a decent contract. Tate's probably more along the lines of a Chris Ivory or an Ahmad Bradshaw and I don't think either of those guys really broke the bank.

The question is going to be whether he thinks he can be a starter here vs. somewhere fresh.

So. I take it back. We might be able to re-sign Tate pretty easily... if we want to.

Its going to be interesring to see. Ive been wondering about tate and this supposed big pay day he has coming for a while now....

But with a new staff coming in, who knows who we re sign...,

Derrick Ward.

All you hatin' on Foster are crazy.....he will be back and will be fine. Get another guy to compete with Johnson as we let Tate walk.

All you hatin' on Foster are crazy.....he will be back and will be fine. Get another guy to compete with Johnson as we let Tate walk.

Hatin' on Foster = Being concerned he can return from BACK SURGERY?

Tate will be in the top 3 RB FA's this year. He might not command a huge salary, but he'll command more than the Texans can pay. Will Tate be a FA or a RFA in 2014? I think he'll be a FA with no leverage, at all, for the Texans.

Lovie Smith and David Shaw I am interested in but when it comes to Smith it is freaking imperative he gets the right offensive coordinator. That is where his main issue lies and that has to be part of the interview/plan if they went that direction. He needs to put a list together of coordinators he intends on hiring. They need to evaluate each name on it and the true possibility he will be able to bring that coordinator on board.

In 20-something pages I have not seen this issue discussed in detail.
THIS IS CRUCIAL.

A head coach's success is tied at the hip to the quality of coordinators (and other assistants) he brings in. See our team's struggles when we had sucky DCs. See Parcells' success when Belichick was running his defense. Or Pittsburgh's continued success with LeBeau running the defense.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but picking the right head coach is only one piece to the path to success. What assistants he can bring with him (and which ones here he might consider keeping) is crucial.

In short, if any of the HC possibilities are satisfied with Wade as DC, they're off my list. I want to see new ideas across the board.

Don't be surprised if Wade Philips becomes the HC of your fightin' Houston Texans!

Just listening to soundbites and the way he's pushing for the job. A win or two to end the season might just convince Bobby Mac.

In that nightmare scenario who gets OC duties next year?

Don't be surprised if Wade Philips becomes the HC of your fightin' Houston Texans!

Just listening to soundbites and the way he's pushing for the job. A win or two to end the season mi ght just convince Bobby Mac.

In that nightmare scenario who gets OC duties next year?

Jason Garrett. :goodluck:

Not sure trading him makes any sense. We owe him money, he should be ready for training camp, plus he could come back to form depending on his rehab.

This is a very optimistic outcome for a RB coming off of back surgery. Remeber Cody last yr? What team does he play for this yr?

IMO, we look fine at WR. We could use a serious upgrade at TE, though. I would also look hard at a running back. There are no gaurantees at all that Foster will be the back he was a couple of years ago. I think Kubiak and Dennison wore the majority of the tread off his tires in 2011 and 2012.

In 20-something pages I have not seen this issue discussed in detail.
THIS IS CRUCIAL.

A head coach's success is tied at the hip to the quality of coordinators (and other assistants) he brings in. See our team's struggles when we had sucky DCs. See Parcells' success when Belichick was running his defense. Or Pittsburgh's continued success with LeBeau running the defense.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but picking the right head coach is only one piece to the path to success. What assistants he can bring with him (and which ones here he might consider keeping) is crucial.

In short, if any of the HC possibilities are satisfied with Wade as DC, they're off my list. I want to see new ideas across the board.
:goodpost:

Couldn't agree more. MSR!

I can't see a situation where we bring in a head coach that came up through the defensive ranks and keep Wade Phillips on this team. I would imagine Wade would feel slighted that they chose a different defensive coach for the opening and would leave. If he didn't leave I imagine that him and the new head coach would not see eye to eye and it would be difficult to make that work.

I can't see Wade getting this job with the horrible defense that commits COUNTLESS terrible penalties and just plain sucks. You can't give him the benefit of the doubt for no depth on the defense because he was behind 90% of the failed high draft picks on defense. He has not earned anything and is just a placeholder until the new guy is hired, at which time his days are numbered.

Finally, everyone keeps saying he might look good to close out the season and keep the job... Peyton will beat the hell out of us, We have NEVER won in Indy, and the Titans suck. If he gets a head coaching job because he defeats the Titans in week 17 in the most meaningless game of all time, I'll seriously turn my back on this team, become completely fair-weather, and only care about my fantasy football squad.

I can see 2 scenarios unfolding, the one I am personally wishing for is the first:

1. David Shaw gets the job (obviously no NFL head coaching experience), but that's why Wade Phillips stays on to provide him valuable advice as a head coach that has been there before. The OC and ST Coach hired would be a complete guess for me.

2. Lovie Smith gets the job, this means Wade has a good probability of leaving. He brings in a yes man for DC. Then he hires an OC and ST coach that are a complete guess for me.

I don't want Wade to remain with this team, but I think him staying would be the best opportunity we get David Shaw, which I want far more than scenario 2. I'd really like Ray Horton, but I don't see a scenario where that realistically happens. And every other HC Candidate I've heard in this thread is a loser. Just my thoughts.

I can see 2 scenarios unfolding, the one I am personally wishing for is the first:

1. David Shaw gets the job (obviously no NFL head coaching experience), but that's why Wade Phillips stays on to provide him valuable advice as a head coach that has been there before. The OC and ST Coach hired would be a complete guess for me.

2. Lovie Smith gets the job, this means Wade has a good probability of leaving. He brings in a yes man for DC. Then he hires an OC and ST coach that are a complete guess for me.

I don't want Wade to remain with this team, but I think him staying would be the best opportunity we get David Shaw, which I want far more than scenario 2. I'd really like Ray Horton, but I don't see a scenario where that realistically happens. And every other HC Candidate I've heard in this thread is a loser. Just my thoughts.

The only scenario I see that includes Wade Phillips staying with the Texans is at HC. I don't think he will accept being DC for another coach for this team, nor do I think they would ask him to do it.

IMO, we look fine at WR. We could use a serious upgrade at TE, though. I would also look hard at a running back. There are no gaurantees at all that Foster will be the back he was a couple of years ago. I think Kubiak and Dennison wore the majority of the tread off his tires in 2011 and 2012.

:goodpost:

Couldn't agree more. MSR!

By Johnson I meant Dennis Johnson, my entire post was about the running backs lol

I think TE is a need especially if we cut OD.

Saw rumblings about Jack Del Rio somewhere....Damn i'd hate that more then Wade, Lovie, or Weisenuts.

I want to interview Ray Horton, O'Brien, and Shaw out of the guys being discussed. Not really excited about any of the candidates.

I want somebody who understands both offense and defense, so he can choose both coordinators, oversee them, and correct them when necessary. That's why I have misgivings about David Shaw, who seems to know offense only (like Kubiak), and Lovie Smith, whose expertise in only on defensive strategy.

I want somebody who understands both offense and defense, so he can choose both coordinators, oversee them, and correct them when necessary. That's why I have misgivings about David Shaw, who seems to know offense only (like Kubiak), and Lovie Smith, whose expertise in only on defensive strategy.

I want a guy that can lead grown men who also knows a couple guys that understand offense and defense

Exactly zero dollars and zero cents.
AMEN!!!!:clap:

And one would think that Snyder learned his lesson on this subject already.

Maybe Snyder will pull a fast one on the Texans and hire Phillips as HC and he takes Dennison with him!!!! PLEEEEEAAAAASSSE let this happen!!!!

I wonder if charlie weiss will get an interview. He sent matt cassell to the probowl and had some good yrs with nd. I like romeo crennel as a dc. No matter who, I really like romeo as a dc. I like mangini also as dcs.

I wonder if charlie weiss will get an interview. He sent matt cassell to the probowl and had some good yrs with nd. I like romeo crennel as a dc. No matter who, I really like romeo as a dc. I like mangini also as dcs.

Mangini is a cancer. Crennel as a D-line coach I could go with.

Romeo would be nice as DC

So you like all of the current names in circulation more then Saban?

For the Texans HC position yes.
As a UT fan, I'd take him in a heartbeat as Longhorn HC.

Obviously, he's one of the best college HCs of all time, and I'd love to have him, even though I don't care for his personality at all.

I just don't feel like he will ever be a good HC in the pros. I don't think his style and personality mix well with the players at the next level.

For the Texans HC position yes.
As a UT fan, I'd take him in a heartbeat as Longhorn HC.

Obviously, he's one of the best college HCs of all time, and I'd love to have him, even though I don't care for his personality at all.

I just don't feel like he will ever be a good HC in the pros. I don't think his style and personality mix well with the players at the next level.

That's agreeable. I'm not pushing for him. I just find him more intriguing then most of the names we see. Intriguing doesn't mean good.

Back