Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

New HC candidates

Don't have a link, but I'm looking.

Apparently that story that came out about Shanahan clearing out his desk last year just came out. He mentioned it 3 times in the clip I just saw and at the end said that people are insinuating that he is positioning to get out of Washington and into Houston. He said things are bad between Shanahan and Snyder and then said that there may be an ulterior motive for the story coming out.

Figured that was thread worthy. If you DVR'd the show it was at about 35 minutes into the show.

I'll look to see if a clip shows up on nfl.com

Not sure if I want Shanahan either. The Redskins have been a mess.

Mike

Edit: Didn't find the clip but found this:

Dan Rosenthall said:
Redskins officials reportedly have wondered if Shanahan is hopeful of leaving the Redskins in order to be a head coaching candidate for the Houston Texans. You know a relationship has turned irreparably ugly when the Redskins are wondering if their coach is trying to get fired.
link

LZ on twitter is pretty sure he's just using us to get fired from WAS. why would the texans hire Kubiak's mentor?

hire the Teacher of the student might has well since we a keeping Rick smith has well he shanny will want full control tho over smith

LZ on twitter is pretty sure he's just using us to get fired from WAS. why would the texans hire Kubiak's mentor?

Not sure how they would use Houston to get him fired and almost positive Houston wouldn't be complicit. Houston would get fined and/or lose draft picks for tampering and they were just saying that Washington would try to get some money back if they could prove he was trying to get out to get another job. Kind of makes me wonder if Washington is trying to muddy the waters to get some money back from him.

Mike

Not sure how they would use Houston to get him fired and almost positive Houston wouldn't be complicit. Houston would get fined and/or lose draft picks for tampering and they were just saying that Washington would try to get some money back if they could prove he was trying to get out to get another job. Kind of makes me wonder if Washington is trying to muddy the waters to get some money back from him.

Mike

easy, leak to the media that you're interested in the HOU job while doing a suckfest job with current employer since you're tired of their ****.

i see the attraction. long time head coach, superbowl rings, and he runs the same system as our previous coach. shanahan hasnt been the same without our previous coach though. he went 13-3 in 2005 with kubiak and it's been all downhill since. shanahan wants too much control, and in many ways is just like kubiak though a bit more extreme in the tendencies. if shanahan could learn to delegate and bring in better coordinators he can be a really good head coach ... he's unlikely to do that though and i wouldnt want him here.

easy, leak to the media that you're interested in the HOU job while doing a suckfest job with current employer since you're tired of their ****.

Yeah but what is the advantage? If Washington can prove he was trying to get fired they may be able to get back some of his salary.

Mike

Yeah but what is the advantage? If Washington can prove he was trying to get fired they may be able to get back some of his salary.

Mike

that's the point of using the national media, leak rumors through his people, they can't prove anything unless shanahan is dumb enough to do the dirty work himself.

that's the point of using the national media, leak rumors through his people, they can't prove anything unless shanahan is dumb enough to do the dirty work himself.

It would make sense for him to try to put out the locker room incident himself if he were trying to position himself for the job. It wouldn't make sense for him or his people to even breath the name of another team.

Putting out the narrative that things were bad is one thing. He's going to get fired anyway (3-10 I believe).

Considering the ties he has to Houston (his son was an OC here, he worked with Smith) and the situation here, if a media guy confirmed that someone in his camp said he wants to work for Houston that would probably get him in some serious trouble. That's why I say it doesn't make sense for his camp to leak the Houston rumor. It would make more sense that his camp leak the desk clearing out issue in an attempt to line up for the Houston job.

He is due 7 million next year. If Washington fires him without cause they have to pay him that. If they could prove he was trying to get out they can fire him with cause and not pay him 7 million. It just seems like the motivation to bring up Houston would be from the Washington side.
Mike

i see the attraction. long time head coach, superbowl rings, and he runs the same system as our previous coach. shanahan hasnt been the same without our previous coach though. he went 13-3 in 2005 with kubiak and it's been all downhill since. shanahan wants too much control, and in many ways is just like kubiak though a bit more extreme in the tendencies. if shanahan could learn to delegate and bring in better coordinators he can be a really good head coach ... he's unlikely to do that though and i wouldnt want him here.

To me,his biggest flaw is his hiring of dc's. He's been terrible and have been running through them like paper towels. When was the last time haslett has been any good? At the end in denver, he fired dc's every yr. Kinda like lovie and his oc's.

All the shenanigans and losing Shanahan has done the past few years in Washington has put a huge black spot on his coaching resume, imo. Any team/owner would be completely ignorant hiring this guy. Heck, going to the Skins actually hurt Kyle's future HC possibilities too.

I'm kinda wishy washy on Lovie.

A huge NO to Whiz

A yes for Shaw

But what do I know?!

BTW, does anyone know if other teams have hired employee search companies to find their HCs? I know McNair admitted he wasn't a great football mind years ago, but it's been over 10 years. You'd think he'd know the process. If not, surely the GM would for Pete's sake.

I think I would have put my fandom on hold if we hired Shanahan. He's just Kubiak Sr. The game has passed their coaching style by.

I think I would have put my fandom on hold if we hired Shanahan. He's just Kubiak Sr. The game has passed their coaching style by.

Me too. The whole Washington debacle he's created has all but ruined his chances as a HC any time soon.

Maybe not so much as Shanahan, but if we hire Wade as our HC it will be hard for me to watch week in, week out.

I'd have been ok with Gruden but not Shanahan. He's done. Gruden probably is too but I am not entirely certain of that and if he'd gone to the trouble of trying to get the job I'd have believed at least that he thought he still had the ability and interest.

But Shanahan? No way. He's dead in the water and doesn't even realize it.

I'm an old-school defensive guy, so I'd be happy with Lovie. Speaking of defensive coaches, who could be some potential candidates from that side of the ball? The best player on this team right now is JJ Watt, and IMO we need a coach that can maximize the opportunity we have with him.

Me too. The whole Washington debacle he's created has all but ruined his chances as a HC any time soon...

Part of that blame goes to the one consistent, owner Daniel Snyder. That guy has the Midas Touch -- everything (sports) he touches turns to isht...
Shanahan was upset that Snyder valued quarterback Robert Griffin III over all the other players on the team. Shanahan blamed Snyder for creating an atmosphere that he did not believe was conducive to winning. Shanahan reportedly told people close to him that Snyder's favorable treatment of Griffin was a "complete farce."

According to the report, Shanahan was content to leave the Redskins after winning the NFC East title but changed his mind after the team lost to Seattle in the playoffs and Griffin sustained a serious knee injury in the game...

But yeah, I have no interest in Skeletor or Baby Shanny. Same song, different verse.

Me too. The whole Washington debacle he's created has all but ruined his chances as a HC any time soon.

Maybe not so much as Shanahan, but if we hire Wade as our HC it will be hard for me to watch week in, week out.

I'm with you on Wade. Although, I'm hoping interviewing him is just a courtesy. I don't even want him kept on as DC. The whole team is stinking it up, and the defense has been exposed this year like crazy.

Anyone know if anybody in the Shanny coaching tree is seeing success. I'll admit to ignorance as to the scale of his coaching tree...perhaps it's only a little sapling that's about to be cut down? Unless lil' Shanny proves something...

At this point, I've just got a long list of guys I don't want: Wade, Whiz, Jon Gruden, Shanahan (either), Billick, Briles, Sumlin, Del Rio, etc. I'm not sold on Smith.

I don't know about Shaw. I'm going to have to watch some more Stanford games.

I'm with you on Wade. Although, I'm hoping interviewing him is just a courtesy. I don't even want him kept on as DC. The whole team is stinking it up, and the defense has been exposed this year like crazy.

Anyone know if anybody in the Shanny coaching tree is seeing success. I'll admit to ignorance as to the scale of his coaching tree...perhaps it's only a little sapling that's about to be cut down? Unless lil' Shanny proves something...

Don't think so, but you can check for yourself:

Coaching_Trees.GIF

I hope they wait and see who shakes out. If Pittsburgh was crazy enough to fire Tomlin, I'd wanna talk to him too

Again, if Rick Smith stays, we aren't going anywhere, but why not take the best offensive minded HC prospect, and the best defensive minded HC prospect, and make them co-captains of the ship?

Never been tried, so who knows ...

Again, if Rick Smith stays, we aren't going anywhere, but why not take the best offensive minded HC prospect, and the best defensive minded HC prospect, and make them co-captains of the ship?

Never been tried, so who knows ...

I'm reminded of the old saying about QBs that if you have a couple of guys, you don't have THE Guy.

Yeah, and its far fetched, but I think the league is ready for something new.

Something game changing ...

It's not that new. You still have to have one of the guys named the Head Coach. But in Tampa Bay, you had that setup with Jon Gruden and Monte Kiffin. In Baltimore, you probably had that in place with Billick and his string of defensive coordinators (Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan). In Dallas, you probably had that sort of setup with Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett.

Unfortunately, we probably had that sort of setup here during the course of Kubiak's tenure. He was pretty much entirely concerned with the offense and the DC, whoever that was, was in charge of the defense. He threw upper round draft picks at the defense hoping it would boost the talent level on that side of the ball so whoever he put in charge would be able to be successful. When that didn't work, they finally enjoyed some success with an experienced DC with HC experience. (I think he preferred to just turn over the ST to the ST coach, as well.)

Personally, I'd prefer if we go back to the structure where the HC is more concerned with all aspects of the team and he coordinates his coordinators.

I hope they wait and see who shakes out. If Pittsburgh was crazy enough to fire Tomlin, I'd wanna talk to him too

Yeah, but I'd want to know who thought Todd Haley was a good idea because all evidence was contrary to that before he was hired as OC.

Bill O'Brien was mentioned and would be interesting. He might be ready to leave Penn State. He was with the Patriots during their prolific years but its easy with Brady and Moss. He coached McGloin into making an NFL squad.

I would much prefer Shanahan Sr over Whisenhunt, especially if it means getting Kyle Shanahan back as OC. I think that young man has a very bright future in the NFL.

I'd rather get Kyle Shanahan by himself, if possible, as OC.

Lovie Smith and David Shaw I am interested in but when it comes to Smith it is freaking imperative he gets the right offensive coordinator. That is where his main issue lies and that has to be part of the interview/plan if they went that direction. He needs to put a list together of coordinators he intends on hiring. They need to evaluate each name on it and the true possibility he will be able to bring that coordinator on board.

Shaw is the wildcard and I think shaking things up with something/someone different may be a good direction. I think I favor him most honestly and not even certain why. A lot of these young coaches have been making some strides. Lovie is known and many teams will pull out tape on his past for those who didn't face him previously. Shaw they won't have much to nothing to go on.

Whisenhunt...eh. Not overly high on him but he did turn the Cardinals around which means a bit. Then again as soon as Kurt Warner was gone he turned them right back into what they were like Cinderella's coach turning back into a pumpkin. But I understand that he could have also learned from that and grown. The chance to work with McCoy may have helped as well. Not like we're hearing complaints about him in San Diego like we hear of Haley in Pittsburgh. I see that as a positive. Still he would be last on this list of three we have seen pop up thus far.

So I guess I'm more: Shaw (and I really have no idea why lol), Smith and then Whisenhunt.

I feel like I am in the minority of those who want a college coach. The NFL is headed towards flag football, so hybrid offenses where you sprinkle in some zone read, pro style, heavy, shotgun, wildcat, are going to be more effective IMO.

I think Bridgewater + Foster would be deadly in that type of scheme like what Shaw runs at Stanford.

I feel like I am in the minority of those who want a college coach. The NFL is headed towards flag football, so hybrid offenses where you sprinkle in some zone read, pro style, heavy, shotgun, wildcat, are going to be more effective IMO.

I think Bridgewater + Foster would be deadly in that type of scheme like what Shaw runs at Stanford.

I think Foster needs to be traded if he has any value left.

I think Foster needs to be traded if he has any value left.

This.

Only thing, is do you then re-sign Tate?

Because if not, your running back corps is Non existent.

Tate isn't the perfect picture of health himself.
Foster is going to cost us regardless.
So I'd probably let Tate walk and draft a mid to late round RB. Look at the scrap heap.

Texans fell in love with players. I'd have traded foster before he signed that deal.

When it comes to Foster and Tate, I haz a skaired.

I'm afraid we Larry Johnsoned/Shawn Alexandered Arian by leaning on him too heavily and giving him way too many touches. I'm afraid all the tread is gone from those tires.

That's why I've left him off of the discussions of the talent on this team.

With the contract we just gave him, I'm not sure we can get rid of him. So I think we're stuck with at least giving him a shot to return.

But that makes signing Tate hard. Tate's probably going to command some high dollars this offseason. But. I hate to say this but... I'm not sure he's going to be worth it.

So I've got... fears... about the RB position. Hopefully, the next OC isn't as wary of starting a rookie as Kubes was and we can get someone in the draft who'll be able to step up. Of course, that's just one more need we'll have going into the draft and we've already got a lot of them.

What kind of high dollars are people talking for Tate? I'm not seeing it. I think he'll get a decent little contract, but I don't see him breaking anyone's bank.

Tate would've been nice for a team like the colts to pair with Donald brown. Maybe the jags with mojo declining. Falcons...browns...

Back