Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

New HC candidates

I agree that Lovie is a smokescreen to get the interview with a black HC out of the way. That doesn't mean they wont hire him if their other choices don't pan out though. He is an improvement over Kubiak, just not a really big improvement.

It's 2013 about to be 14 somebody has to be black to cover the whole issue. How often do you see the gm? Head coach and quarterback are the main faces. I do think they would draft a black qb though. Coach meh...

You need to chill. We're lucky they're not blaming the whole 2-13 thing on us.

:kitten:

We will just have to agree to disagree. The Wiz is a below .500 coach and any interview with him is purely a smokescreen.

Sent from the future...

I think O'Brien already has the job so the 2nd choice may be irrelevant. The fact they are willing to pay 7 million to get him from Penn State further lets me know how much they think of Lovie. I like O'Brien though. His way can lead a team to the super bowl. I believe that.

You need to chill. We're lucky they're not blaming the whole 2-13 thing on us.

:kitten:

Yeah things could be worse. I just hope they kill and bury the good ol boy philosophy they've carried over from the oilers and finally do what it takes to win a superbowl. That means putting personal unjust ways to the side and hiring and firing whoever it takes to get the job done.

It's 2013 about to be 14 somebody has to be black to cover the whole issue. How often do you see the gm? Head coach and quarterback are the main faces. I do think they would draft a black qb though. Coach meh...

A GM is an executive who sits in the owners box most games . You saying the GM is a token is up there for show ? :smiliepalm:

The chances of the Texans hiring a black coach are like the chances of Kevin Hart playing for the Houston Rockets.

Funny how Bob kept the GM, but cut ties with the coach.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for saying it though.

Funny how Bob kept the GM, but cut ties with the coach.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for saying it though.

Bill O'Brien will be the next head coach bet you I know that. Rick Smith will continue to be a puppet doing what he's told... go fetch Ed Reed... oh ok now you need to cut Ed Reed...

Yeah things could be worse. I just hope they kill and bury the good ol boy philosophy they've carried over from the oilers and finally do what it takes to win a superbowl. That means putting personal unjust ways to the side and hiring and firing whoever it takes to get the job done.

Just remember, the "good ol boys" aren't limited to just one race.

Just remember, the "good ol boys" aren't limited to just one race.

The one man on top usually is but the organization or group never is I understand it's 2013 you at least have to appear to be a certain way professional wise but if your running your organization that way it's dumb and you will never win. Ironically The city of Houston has never been to the superbowl and ironically Tennessee got there with Steve McNair as qb just as they left this city.

lol the race card...

cstyle42 is probably Arthur in Spring. (if you listen to 790, you know)

Nope. Just a guy that addresses the real issues of this organization. I do see Bob was ticked off about how Kubiak made the team appear to be more about loyalty to certain players which made Bob himself look like he was doing the same to Kubiak. Then Bob finally fires him and says we are not about loyalty and we do hold everyone accountable. Sounds like change but it's been this way since the 70's in HOUSTON. I'm no young buck speaking from emotion. Right now with situation of hiring a new coach and getting a new QB there is opportunity for change. I don't care if the coach or QB is black or white just get one that has balls to speak up, make smart/creative decisions and play with some authority. You do that and we will all be happy with results. Saying all that my opinion is they won't hire a black coach. Lovie Smith is too much of a puppet to me and you already have Rick Smith playing that role under McNair.

This thing about using the "good-ole boy" system is not always even perceptible to the person responsible. Whether it's choosing the same gender, race, or just somebody you have more in common with (you're both hicks, or both city-slickers), people in control do it without even knowing they do it sometimes. You have to choose who you think is the best candidate, and doing so without any kind of prejudice whatsoever can take a lot of self-knowing. It's really easy to be most impressed with someone who thinks just like you do, most likely (whether you realize it or not) because they are the same race, gender, age, upbringing, religion (more or less), etc.

This thing about using the "good-ole boy" system is not always even perceptible to the person responsible. Whether it's choosing the same gender, race, or just somebody you have more in common with (you're both hicks, or both city-slickers), people in control do it without even knowing they do it sometimes. You have to choose who you think is the best candidate, and doing so without any kind of prejudice whatsoever can take a lot of self-knowing. It's really easy to be most impressed with someone who thinks just like you do, most likely (whether you realize it or not) because they are the same race, gender, age, upbringing, religion (more or less), etc.

:goodpost:

*you could drop this darn every thread in the FFA also.

I have always thought you were right.

I have seen Rick do nothing to earn the right to keep his job.

It's really embarrassing. I wish they would just fire him. I want the Texans to win like every fan does. However I hope we get the first pick and don't screw that up. We need a GM that's going to do the job and not just take orders and smile.

Another thread hi jacked by idiots spewing garbage about Rick Smith. You kids need to put your controllers down and step away from Madden. You have no idea how nfl organizations work and how to work a salary cap. Rick Smith is easily a top 10 GM in this league and the fact you mopes don't comprehend that is mind blowing.

Another thread hi jacked by idiots spewing garbage about Rick Smith. You kids need to put your controllers down and step away from Madden. You have no idea how nfl organizations work and how to work a salary cap. Rick Smith is easily a top 10 GM in this league and the fact you mopes don't comprehend that is mind blowing.

And that's because we are screwed cap wise and wasted all of our 3rd round picks last year ... or why? Make one single argument for Rick ... I dare you. There is none and people who hang on to him are just like all the fools that used to bash me for telling it like it was with Matt. Rick is a token, always has been.

And that's because we are screwed cap wise and wasted all of our 3rd round picks last year ... or why? Make one single argument for Rick ... I dare you. There is none and people who hang on to him are just like all the fools that used to bash me for telling it like it was with Matt. Rick is a token, always has been.

Thought this was a thread about head coach candidates

I'll kinda miss The Ninja next year. Apart from being a good DLineman, his interviews were gold!

edit: OOOPS, thought this was the game thread.

1- Rick Smith's 1st round pick record since 2008 is better than any other NFL team during that period:
2008- Duane Brown
2009- Brian Cushing
2010- Kareem Jackson
2011- JJ Watt
2012- Winston Mercilus
2013- Deandre Hopkins

* by the way, you may not be happy with the amount of cap room the Texans have this year... However, the Texans cap is healthy. By healthy I mean there are not a bunch of upside down contracts that will lead to a series of difficult decisions and compromises the next couple years, while kicking the can down the road for three years, leading to an inevitable blowup of the team due to cap constraints.

Instead, the Texans can immediately clear $20 million in additional cap space this off-season without sacrificing future years and without destroying the team's talent base. Other than Brian Cushing and maybe Duane Brown, the can cut any of their higher paid veterans this off-season and it would grow the cap savings... In other words, the accelerated cap hit would be less than the cap charge due for that season... So, the makeup of the roster can be quickly adjusted when the new staff comes in.

When O'brien (hopefully) starts reviewing the roster, he is free to consider cutting or trading anyone on the roster other than Cushing and DBrown... It's a very good situation for a new staff.

The fact idiots like you can't seem to get past the fact that EVERY team in the NFL misses on MAJORITY of their picks. Not every pick will remain on the team. Its actually better when late round picks AREN'T STARTERS. It means our team is talented and crappy players aren't relied upon to carry this team. Our picks got us to be the favorite to make the super bowl prior to this season. Not Ricks fault our defensive coordinator won't play zone every now and then, that our offensive head coach was too hard up with his ego that he wouldn't alter his offense to adapt to the new league or that our "franchise" qb forgot how to play football over the off-season. Fact is, this was a TEAM issue NOT a talent issue this season.

not to mention, your lack of the salary cap shows itself again, our cap situation is FINE. Not bad like dallas, but not over the top amazing. We do have GREAT players on this team that cost money to keep. So we have some money to play with this off-season and will be able to re-sign guys, bring in new guys and make a trade if we so choose to. Stop being ignorant and spreading dribble all over this site, too many naive people are listening to your stupidity.

The fact idiots like you can't seem to get past the fact that EVERY team in the NFL misses on MAJORITY of their picks. Not every pick will remain on the team. Its actually better when late round picks AREN'T STARTERS. It means our team is talented and crappy players aren't relied upon to carry this team. Our picks got us to be the favorite to make the super bowl prior to this season. Not Ricks fault our defensive coordinator won't play zone every now and then, that our offensive head coach was too hard up with his ego that he wouldn't alter his offense to adapt to the new league or that our "franchise" qb forgot how to play football over the off-season. Fact is, this was a TEAM issue NOT a talent issue this season.

not to mention, your lack of the salary cap shows itself again, our cap situation is FINE. Not bad like dallas, but not over the top amazing. We do have GREAT players on this team that cost money to keep. So we have some money to play with this off-season and will be able to re-sign guys, bring in new guys and make a trade if we so choose to. Stop being ignorant and spreading dribble all over this site, too many naive people are listening to your stupidity.

You just won the internet. Seriously, very well said. Thank you.

1- Rick Smith's 1st round pick record since 2008 is better than any other NFL team during that period:
2008- Duane Brown - i will give Rick credit for this one but it was a NEED pick which i hate
2009- Brian Cushing - if we are being honest, Matthews was the better choice
2010- Kareem Jackson - sucks
2011- JJ Watt - was Wades pick
2012- Winston Mercilus - not impressed so far
2013- Deandre Hopkins - no brainer ... fans basically made this pick for him

Realism ...

Cap is fine?

Ok, I really have nothing else to say to you. Wont matter.

Have any of the Obrien fans actually watched a single PSU game? I doubt it. He did a great job of keeping the players together but his ont he field coaching is nothing impressive. He went 7-5 in a really weak B1G. Is that AMAZING? OB is a good coach in a weak conference but he is not a great coach. He is still learning. He is not ready to be a NFL coach. OB is not going to get a SB in Houston. He NEVER even won won in New England. NE won BEFORE OB was there. Brady won THREE without OB.

I think OB is starting to feel the heat at PSU. His on field coaching is average. HE makes plenty of mistakes. This is his first head coaching job. He tries to copy Chip Kelly but he is no Chip Kelly. Even Kelly makes tons of mistakes in Philly. The only thing that OB really brought to the offense was up tempo but his play calling is shaky. The PSU offense always seems confused and tons of false starts. Their third down converstions were HORRIBLE. ONE in the first game vs Syracuse and TWO vs a really weak Eastern Michigan.

There is a small vocal segment of PSU fans who want OB to go. The masses want to keep him for stability(more than coaching) and to maintain the recruiting class. Most of the people who want to keep him would prefer he hired an offensive coordinator and many also want a new defensive coordinator.

IF he does leave, PSU has a good shot at hiring a better coach.

Realism ...

Absurd! Pointless to argue with someone so intent on twisting everything.

a few notes, though:

GMs almost always make selections based on input of coaches and scouts, not independently- the fact that Watt was "Wade's pick" means nothing... Rick Smith made the pick and the ultimate decision...

Asserting that the Cushing selection was a good pick doesn't mean that, looking back, there might not be a better potential pick. No GM would survive under that scrutiny.

Your criticism of the Duane Brown pick is that Rick Smith was able to draft an All-pro player at a position of need?! Okay- yeah, that's not something you want from a GM.

He gets no credit on the Hopkins pick because the fans wanted Hopkins? Ohh, okay. I guess you don't blame him for Ed Reed signing- after all, the majority of Texan fans were excited about it- so, he gets no credit or blame for that one.

Absurd! Pointless to argue with someone so intent on twisting everything.

a few notes, though:

GMs almost always make selections based on input of coaches and scouts, not independently- the fact that Watt was "Wade's pick" means nothing... Rick Smith made the pick and the ultimate decision...

Asserting that the Cushing selection was a good pick doesn't mean that, looking back, there might not be a better potential pick. No GM would survive under that scrutiny.

Your criticism of the Duane Brown pick is that Rick Smith was able to draft an All-pro player at a position of need?! Okay- yeah, that's not something you want from a GM.

He gets no credit on the Hopkins pick because the fans wanted Hopkins? Ohh, okay. I guess you don't blame him for Ed Reed signing- after all, the majority of Texan fans were excited about it- so, he gets no credit or blame for that one.

Don't waste your breath. The guy is a troll

Let me explain the Texans Salary Cap situation of the last 3 years in a way that more of the confused will be able to understand;

If the AFC South sat down to play a game of monopoly, each team would be able to start the game with $1500 plus a carryover from the last game, except the Texans who can only start the game with $1100 with no carryover from the the last game. The 2014 game has not changed.

I don't really know what to think of that aritcle. That's from 2005 - 2009. Two of those drafts weren't Rick's & the 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 draft isn't.

Houston & San Francisco, seen by many as up-and-coming teams, rated as the 6th and 7th best NFL teams in drafting efficiency. Houston was 18% better than the league average while San Fran was 17% more efficient than the norm;

Let me explain the Texans Salary Cap situation of the last 3 years in a way that more of the confused will be able to understand;

If the AFC South sat down to play a game of monopoly, each team would be able to start the game with $1500 plus a carryover from the last game, except the Texans who can only start the game with $1100 with no carryover from the the last game. The 2014 game has not changed.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

You have removed all doubts from my mind that you do not understand the cap.

Ohh, okay. I guess you don't blame him for Ed Reed signing- after all, the majority of Texan fans were excited about it- so, he gets no credit or blame for that one.

Thanks for making my point for me. Rick gets ALL the blame for Reed.

He never even asked Wade about Reed, just signed him. Don't even consult you DC before signing a starter?

I rest my case.

2008- Duane Brown
2009- Brian Cushing
2010- Kareem Jackson
2011- JJ Watt
2012- Winston Mercilus
2013- Deandre Hopkins

* by the way, you may not be happy with the amount of cap room the Texans have this year... However, the Texans cap is healthy. By healthy I mean there are not a bunch of upside down contracts that will lead to a series of difficult decisions and compromises the next couple years, while kicking the can down the road for three years, leading to an inevitable blowup of the team due to cap constraints.

Instead, the Texans can immediately clear $20 million in additional cap space this off-season without sacrificing future years and without destroying the team's talent base. Other than Brian Cushing and maybe Duane Brown, the can cut any of their higher paid veterans this off-season and it would grow the cap savings... In other words, the accelerated cap hit would be less than the cap charge due for that season... So, the makeup of the roster can be quickly adjusted when the new staff comes in.

When O'brien (hopefully) starts reviewing the roster, he is free to consider cutting or trading anyone on the roster other than Cushing and DBrown... It's a very good situation for a new staff.

Conviently left out OkOye.

There's more to the draft than the 1st rd. However I dont think Slick Rick had much say in the draft.

After his rook season, seems to me Okoye was more focused on promoting football in Africa than playing football. What he was trying to promote in Africa was good thing but, he seems to forget what made him able to do these things that he wanted to do.

This has to be one of the most misguided attempts to rationalize the Texans draft history. FTFA:

In identifying these metrics, we selected variables that could be (a) measured across all positions, (b) captured the usability and durability of each player (% of games played, career length), and (c) player quality (% of games started, Pro Bowl status).

So get this, even if you are starting horrible players and doing poorly (this case 2005-2009) you still get points as long as your team drafted those guys. So players like Okoye, Jacoby Jones, Travis Johnson, Fred Bennett, Zach Diles, etc starting, you still get points. No matter where they were drafted or how good they are in comparison to others at the same position around the league. That's just pointless to me. Case in point, the Cowboys were their number 3 team on that list. It's correlation, and nothing more.

This team is 2-14, and the GM who had an integral part in building it is still here. Debate all you want about his amount of power, if he can't take credit for the current state of the team, then he shouldn't have a job in the first place. Either he was an integral part of the Texans organization the last 5 years that has come full circle to a 2-14 record, or he's a useless yes-man that isn't worth keeping around in the first place.

Back