Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Most likely to happen. . .

Most likely to happen. . .

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rey

I like doing these threads before the season starts. I'm excited about the season starting and I always have a positive outlook at this time of year. I think someone on this team will do great things or perform better than what's expected and it's fun to see who folks think that'll be. Plus I like that this can be an overall football talk thread and not specific to one particular aspect. So I'm going to give somewhat lofty goals for a few players/the team as a whole and you can say what you most likely think will happen.

Matt schaub - 4856 passing yards
Arian foster - 1703 rushing yards
Andre Johnson - 12 td's
James Casey - 713 total yards
Offense - 29.8 Pts/gm avg
Mario Williams - 16.5 sacks
JJ watts - 7 sacks
Gq, j Jo, kjax - combine for 10 ints (has to be the three mentioned)
Special teams - 5 td's (scored in any way)
Defense - top 7 overall

Poll coming. I think maximum is 10 but if it's more I will add some.

I'm going to go with Arian as strange as it may seem. I think he is that good and even with more carries for the back ups I think he will get more carries if we are protecting leads late in games.

I went with 29.6 pts/gm. We left a lot of points on the field last year and I expect us to be more efficient in that area this year.

I'll take Mario with 16.5 sacks and AJ with 12 touchdowns hopefully he is targeted more this year beyond the 20 because he needs to be.

I went with the offensive averaging 29.8 points a game. All of our starters will be healthy plus OD looks like he's back to his old self.

I'm going to take Schaub. Without Leach, I think we utilize Casey as the "FB." He will allow more short yardage passes. Rather than Foster rushing for 20 carries, I see a lot of West coast dump passes to Foster and Casey eating up what would have been rushes. Also, factor in a healthy OD will help stretch the field.

I don't see Foster rushing for 1700 yards. AJ's tds will be cut by Foster and OD. Casey will be nowhere near 700. I don't see the offense getting that much better. I think Mario will get double digit sacks, but 16.5 is a lot. Don't see it. 3-4 DEs do NOT get sacks, they apply a ton of pressure. 7 sacks is Ngata of last year territory. I don't see it. I don't see the 3 DBs getting 10 ints, I am not sure Jackson plays more than nickel, and asking 10+ ints out of J Jo and Quin is a lot. Has the special teams scored a td in the last 5 years? If so, I don't recall it. Top 15, not top 7.

So Schaub it is.

I'm going to take Schaub. Without Leach, I think we utilize Casey as the "FB." He will allow more short yardage passes. Rather than Foster rushing for 20 carries, I see a lot of West coast dump passes to Foster and Casey eating up what would have been rushes. Also, factor in a healthy OD will help stretch the field.

I don't see Foster rushing for 1700 yards. AJ's tds will be cut by Foster and OD. Casey will be nowhere near 700. I don't see the offense getting that much better. I think Mario will get double digit sacks, but 16.5 is a lot. Don't see it. 3-4 DEs do NOT get sacks, they apply a ton of pressure. 7 sacks is Ngata of last year territory. I don't see it. I don't see the 3 DBs getting 10 ints, I am not sure Jackson plays more than nickel, and asking 10+ ints out of J Jo and Quin is a lot. Has the special teams scored a td in the last 5 years? If so, I don't recall it. Top 15, not top 7.

So Schaub it is.

1 KR TD in 2009 and 2 punt return TDs in 2008. and 3 KR TDs in 2007 by Andre Davis

So Schaub it is.

I totally agree with your logic. Except that if we have leads in the second half/4th qtr and play run-out-the-clock instead of having to air it out because we're playing catch up, I don't see Schaub getting nearly 4700 yds passing. I think a lot of Schaub's yds came from having to play catch up.

The most likely of those accomplishments to be achieved is AJ getting a dozen TDs.

Had you said the starting defensive backfield - no matter who they are - will rack up 10 ints, I'd might have gone with that.

I'll go with: Gq, J Jo, kjax - 10 ints combined

JoJo and GQ will be out there almost every play, and freeing up GQ at safety ought to allow him to pick off about 5 INTs this year. JoJo should get his usual 3-6 INTs as well, and KJ is bound to fall into an errant throw or two...

I voted for the top 7 defense.

I really should have voted for 10 INTs by our secondary.

That is really most likely to happen.

Except that he limited it to 3 specific guys, not the whole secondary. Even limiting it to just the four starting DBs would have been fair.

Last edited:

Not the secondary. Just those three players.

I went with foster. I think he's going go have a better year than last year. I think he'll be faster and I think that his vision and cuts will be just as devastating. I expect that we will be playing tighter games and/or ahead in second halves.

Next I'd have gone Andre.

*on a completely unrelated not Im watching king of the bill and they are talking about texans vs cowboys and are about to go to a texans training camp.

I went with Mario getting 16.5 sacks. I think Mario is going to have the light switch go on with this defense. I think he's going to discover the drive and determination to dominate. If he got double digit sacks in the crappy defense we've played, he'll flourish in this one.

I had my initial worries about him working out as an OLB. But from the reports I've heard from camp, I'm starting to drink this kool-aid.

I went with Mario getting 16.5 sacks. I think Mario is going to have the light switch go on with this defense. I think he's going to discover the drive and determination to dominate. If he got double digit sacks in the crappy defense we've played, he'll flourish in this one.

I had my initial worries about him working out as an OLB. But from the reports I've heard from camp, I'm starting to drink this kool-aid.
Don't forget it's a contract year for MW. He very well might go all crazy this season with that added incentive.

There should be a second version of this poll - which of these would you most like to see happen. Same ten options.

If that were the case, it would be a tough call for me between your selection, and the top 7 defense.

I voted Andre with 12 TDs. I feel that's entirely possible. Mario getting 16.5 sacks would be outta this world. I know it's only practice but I was watching Mario on the dummy drill on one of the clips on Texans TV. The man was moving like lightning while looking really smooth and fluid. If he can put that together on game day and not get washed by the QB he'll be simply awesome!:fans:

I voted Andre with 12 TDs. I feel that's entirely possible. Mario getting 16.5 sacks would be outta this world. I know it's only practice but I was watching Mario on the dummy drill on one of the clips on Texans TV. The man was moving like lightning while looking really smooth and fluid. If he can put that together on game day and not get washed by the QB he'll be simply awesome!:fans:
AJ getting 12 td's means we're throwing a lot more deep balls. He just attracts way too much attention inside the RZ and opens up too many opportunities for others. I sincerely hope he does get 12+ td's, but I'll take the points over the stats.

I went with 29.6 pts/gm. We left a lot of points on the field last year and I expect us to be more efficient in that area this year.

Damn near 30 a game .... thats tough to do. How many teams in the last decade have done that ?

You are right tho , they did leave a lot of points out there ..... Its possible.

Hell , any of the stats given is a stretch IMO. A great year for any of the above ....

AJ getting 12 TD's seems like the most reasonable.

Damn near 30 a game .... thats tough to do. How many teams in the last decade have done that ?

You are right tho , they did leave a lot of points out there ..... Its possible.

Hell , any of the stats given is a stretch IMO. A great year for any of the above ....

AJ getting 12 TD's seems like the most reasonable.
AJ has never even been close to 12 TD's a year. That's why I chose 29.6 pts/gm. He might not get the points, but he opens up the field to so many others. That's part of what makes him the best WR in the NFL.

There should be a second version of this poll - which of these would you most like to see happen. Same ten options.

If that were the case, it would be a tough call for me between your selection, and the top 7 defense.

Then my answer would be "All of the Above"
:D

...instead of "None of the Above" which it realistically should be as the poll stands right now.

AJ has never even been close to 12 TD's a year. That's why I chose 29.6 pts/gm. He might not get the points, but he opens up the field to so many others. That's part of what makes him the best WR in the NFL.

I dont disagree at all .... Just figure all of those numbers are pretty damn tough to reach and that would be the most plausable.

I almost went with Schaub getting 4800 .... Another thats very reasonable depending on game situations.

I'll go with 12 TDs for Andre. I think he is due for a year in which he gets alot of TDs.

Why hasn't AJ had as much success in that stat category as he has had in all others? Is it because of the safety help over on his side all game? I can't really think of a logical reason as to why it hasn't happened yet. Surely other top receivers get similar treatment.

AJ with 15 TDs isn't a crazy prediction IMO. It is only a matter of time before he has one of those years.

I dont disagree at all .... Just figure all of those numbers are pretty damn tough to reach and that would be the most plausable.

I almost went with Schaub getting 4800 .... Another thats very reasonable depending on game situations.
That's why I went with O scoring 29.6 a game. The points are there. Who cares who scores them? AJ will reach the HOF by being the most bad ass receiver of his generation, not by TD's. Every other stat will be there but TD's.

Not very many. Since 2002 (I decided to go since our first season instead of the decade):

2002 -- No one. The Texans averaged 13.3 points per game that year.

2003 -- The Chiefs scored 30.25 points per game. The Texans scored 15.9.

2004 -- The Colts scored 32.6 points per game, the Chiefs scored 30.2. Your Houston Texans scored 19.3.

2005 -- Nobody scored over 30 ppg. The Texans scored a wopping 16.3.

2006 -- Chargers scored 30.75. The Texans scored 16.7.

2007 -- The Patriots KILLED IT: 36.8 points per game. Insane. The Texans scored 23.7 points per game.

2008 -- No one scored 30 ppg. The Texans scored 22.9.

2009 -- The Saints scored 31.9, the Vikings scored 29.4. The Texans scored 24.3 ppg.

2010 -- The Patriots scored 32.4 ppg. The Texans scored 24.4.

The thing is... if our defense improves, that gives us shorter fields. An improvement in our defense could have the impact of making our offense appear even more potent. And that's not even taking a look at the fact that our defense and special teams scored 0 points last year. Most teams get at least some points from defense and special teams. If our defense starts scoring, that would really help out.

Not very many. Since 2002 (I decided to go since our first season instead of the decade):

2002 -- No one. The Texans averaged 13.3 points per game that year.

2003 -- The Chiefs scored 30.25 points per game. The Texans scored 15.9.

2004 -- The Colts scored 32.6 points per game, the Chiefs scored 30.2. Your Houston Texans scored 19.3.

2005 -- Nobody scored over 30 ppg. The Texans scored a wopping 16.3.

2006 -- Chargers scored 30.75. The Texans scored 16.7.

2007 -- The Patriots KILLED IT: 36.8 points per game. Insane. The Texans scored 23.7 points per game.

2008 -- No one scored 30 ppg. The Texans scored 22.9.

2009 -- The Saints scored 31.9, the Vikings scored 29.4. The Texans scored 24.3 ppg.

2010 -- The Patriots scored 32.4 ppg. The Texans scored 24.4.

The thing is... if our defense improves, that gives us shorter fields. An improvement in our defense could have the impact of making our offense appear even more potent. And that's not even taking a look at the fact that our defense and special teams scored 0 points last year. Most teams get at least some points from defense and special teams. If our defense starts scoring, that would really help out.
What was the top scoring offenses in the 3 years that no one reached 29.6? That should factor into the equation and help establish a mathematical reference point fo the top scoring offenses in the sample period. The teams you did list averaged over 30 ppg in 6 of 9 seasons. That tells me that 29 ppg is a very realistic number.

What was the top scoring offenses in the 3 years that no one reached 29.6? That should factor into the equation and help establish a mathematical reference point fo the top scoring offenses in the sample period. The teams you did list averaged over 30 ppg in 6 of 9 seasons. That tells me that 29 ppg is a very realistic number.

Yep. 29 ppg seems doable. I mean, we'd have to have a great year. But it happens almost every year.

To answer your question:

2002 -- The Chiefs led the league in scoring with 29.2 ppg.
2005 -- The Seahawks led the league with 28.3 ppg.
2008 -- The Saints led the league with 28.9 ppg.

That means that for the last 9 years, the highest scoring team has averaged 31.2 ppg. 29.6 seems much more doable in that light.

I wish we could vote twice. I voted Andre with 12 TD's, it's the obvious choice, but I'd really like to vote for GQ, J Jo, and KJ combining for 10 INT's, I can see this happening fairly easily as well.

Yep. 29 ppg seems doable. I mean, we'd have to have a great year. But it happens almost every year.

To answer your question:

Good point.

I think that the some of them could go hand in hand. If Matt throws for that many yards I think the offense would be at the thirty point mark

To answer your question:

My first thought was the rushing game would have to take a hit till I saw this:

2002 -- Priest Holmes rushed for 1615 that year.
2005 -- Seahawks rushed for 1740 yds
2008 -- Saints ran for 1594

Seeing that, I can see Arian and whomever else tearing it up, Matt airing it out and those points adding up.

Good point.

I think that the some of them could go hand in hand. If Matt throws for that many yards I think the offense would be at the thirty point mark

I wasn't as opptimistic until I looked those stats up. I can see it.

Go Texans! :fans:

I can see that happen if the secondary gets 10+ Ints.

Then we'll be a top 7 defense.

Arian Foster will probably top 1700 yards running games out because we averaged 29.5 pts per game... Since Andre had 12+ touchdowns & Matt threw for..... well it's going to be hard to fit that one in there.

I second that!!!:kingkong::kingkong::kingkong:

Double Ditto....
JJ gets 7. With 2 of them coming in week 1!!!! All the attention that the troubled Indy line will be giving Mario from a scheming stand point.. JJ will be overlooked and sneak a couple in on Manning and "LIGHT" him up!! .:lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb:

I voted 7 interceptions.

Quin, Nolan, Allen each had 3 INTs with the Texans last season; Jackson had 2. Allen had 3 more with the Dolphins and Joseph had 3 with the Bengals.

Quin and Joseph will clearly be starting, the tricky part is Jackson being part of that group vs. "#2 CB" that might be Allen or Harris more than Jackson.

The way I look at it is our CB1, CB2 and S last year had a combined 8-9 interceptions. I think we'll have a more active and aggressive front 7 coupled with a secondary that has better ball skills. I see our interceptions/turnovers increasing.

However, if we don't get any interceptions this season because JJ sWatt knocks them all down at the line, I'll be happy!

Mario gets hurt just a little bit and can't play to full potential.
Kubiak gets outcoached.
Kareem Jackson sits on bench.
Cushing doesn't perform like he did his rookie year.
JJ drops a critical pass.
Watts proves to be the 1st winner as a 1st round draft choice of the Smith era.

Last edited:
After seeing a few games I think I would change my vote to top seven defense. I could see that pretty easily.

Mario gets hurt just a little bit and can't play to full potential.
Kubiak gets outcoached.
Kareem Jackson sits on bench.
Cushing doesn't perform like he did his rookie year.
JJ drops a critical pass.
Watts proves to be the 1st winner as a 1st round draft choice of the Smith era.
You don't think Duane Brown is a winner? He's not a HOF'er by any stretch, but certainly not a bust.

You don't think Duane Brown is a winner? He's not a HOF'er by any stretch, but certainly not a bust.

Hey Doc, I consider a winner to be playing BETTER than expected. I know a winner for us in the first round is someone who is not a bust. We have low expectaions. Looking forward to the coming season. Just hope the Texans don't start counting their chickens before they are hatched.

Hey Doc, I consider a winner to be playing BETTER than expected. I know a winner for us in the first round is someone who is not a bust. We have low expectaions.

He was the seventh OT taken in the draft. Maybe the problem is you expected him to be Orlando Pace.

He was the seventh OT taken in the draft. Maybe the problem is you expected him to be Orlando Pace.

Winning fixes everything. If we actually make it to the play-offs this year & have another 2000 yard rushing team, I bet one of our tackles will go to the Pro Bowl. Winston seems to be the favorite, but I think Brown's chances are 50/50

Back