Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mock Texans Starting Lineup

A

Ali4Real

Texans fans, what would YOUR mock depth chart look like for the upcoming 2008-2009 season?

Houston Texans Depth Chat ~ Ali4Real

QB: Matt Schaub
RB: Ahman Green/Chris Brown
FB: Vonta Leach
OT: Eric Winston
OG: Kasey Studdard
C: Chris Myers
OG: Chester Pitts
OT: Duane Brown
TE: Owen Daniels
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Kevin Walter

DE: Mario Williams
DT: Frank Okam
DT: Amobi Okoye
DE: Rosevelt Colvin
OLB: Xavier Adibi
MLB: DeMeco Ryans
OLB: Morlon Greenwood
SS: C.C. Brown
FS: Nick Ferguson
CB: Fred Bennett
CB: Antawun Molden

Your thoughts?

DeMeco_Ryans.jpg

That looks like a mock starting line-up, not a depth chart.

I don't see Ferguson starting in any scenario... and as much as I liked the Okam pick, it would take a lot for him to be a starter in September.

Colvin as the starting DE? I dont' see that either, but I think he'll get more playing time than just on passing downs.

I don't agree with a lot of your starters - but you definitely took some chances with it, which is good.

Well, based on that lineup we have at least 7 questionable starters on defense and 2 on offense. There's alot that has to fall in place for this team to better last year's record.

Here are my thoughts...

What have we seen in Studdard to give him the starting nod over Brisiel and Weary? He didn't last but a few plays after Wearing went down until Brisiel came in. IMO, it's Brisiel's spot to lose.

Colvin's likely to be our 3rd down DE. Weaver will still get the starting spot.

Ferguson will be lucky to get a roster spot much less starting. It's Demps' spot to lose. I will say there will be alot of battling in TC for the S position.

TJ is NOT a bust. He was our best DT last season. Just because he doesn't harrass the QB like everyone wants doesn't make him a bust at the position. If TJ's healthy the starting DT next to AO is his.

:texflag:

Here are my thoughts...

What have we seen in Studdard to give him the starting nod over Brisiel and Weary? He didn't last but a few plays after Wearing went down until Brisiel came in. IMO, it's Brisiel's spot to lose.

Colvin's likely to be our 3rd down DE. Weaver will still get the starting spot.

Ferguson will be lucky to get a roster spot much less starting. It's Demps' spot to lose. I will say there will be alot of battling in TC for the S position.

TJ is NOT a bust. He was our best DT last season. Just because he doesn't harrass the QB like everyone wants doesn't make him a bust at the position. If TJ's healthy the starting DT next to AO is his.

:texflag:
I agree

I agree that it is Demps job to lose.

Maybe with out that thing on his arm this year he'll get some picks. If not lets spray some stickum on his hands. The guys been in position a lot, just can't seem to pick the ball with that bum arm last year. Well anyway a broken up past may not be as good as an INT, but it beets a completion so I'll shut it for now.

By my count, you have four rookies in the starting lineup (three of which are on the defense) - I just don't see it bro. That's a lot of inexperience to field on game day.

Duane Brown is the only one who is slated to be a starter... and thats a huge step forward for that kid.

Okam should find his way into the DT rotation, and if he plays well, could push TJ for more playing time. I see Molden as waiting in the wings for either the nickel or CB2 slot... and like Bennett, his chance to start could be a mid-season injury away. Adibi is most likely going to be groomed a little longer - I love the kid - I've written articles about him - I don't think the Texans are ready to throw him out there on opening day. Especially when they brought in two LBs with NFL experience in Thompson and Bentley.

I like the fact that you're hip to the talent the Texans acquired through the draft - I just think they need a little seasoning before they're anointed as "starters".

I see Okam as a situational/rotation player this upcoming season...

All this talk of him uprooting TJ and being the starter opening day is funny...

Amobi needs to step his game up to reach the level Travis played at last year...I expect he'll easily do that, but still...

Opening day, without going through TC and learning more, I expect this:

RB: Ahman Green
OG: Mike Brisiel

NT: Travis Johnson
DE: Anthony Weaver
OLB: Kevin Bentley (Although I think it's Zac's job to lose at this point)
FS: Will Demps
CB: Jacques Reeves

I'm hoping that Okam steps up and pushes TJ for the NT spot. And by mid-season, I'm hoping that Molden, Diles, and Adibi are pushing for playing time.

Pretty hard to just plain uproot a guy during the course of the season...

Most of the time a starter has to really mess up or prove he's not getting it done for a back-up to take his role...

It can happen, but it's rare.

If someone's gonna unexpectedly get their spot taken look for it to happen in pre-season/training camp...

I'm hoping that Okam steps up and pushes TJ for the NT spot. And by mid-season, I'm hoping that Molden, Diles, and Adibi are pushing for playing time.
Agree with your post but it will be interesting to see how Weary does by game one.

I agree PN. Hopefully the difference maker this season will be more talent on our depth chart and the core of our team staying healthy. :cool:

I think prior to TC this is the most realistic starting lineup. Weary is coming off surgery and will at least be healthy enough to battle for the RG but i think Brisiel will win it.

Weaver will get the starting nod this year again but I'm not expacting an abundance of production from him. I am real curious on Colvin's impact overall at LB and DE. His flexibility should ideally make things very interesting. I don't want to hear anyone saying Smith doesn't fully have pieces this season as an excuse for a bland unagressive scheme.

DB will be fun to watch during TC. I'm curious to see what the Harrison's will bring and I think Demps will be in the starting lineup. I really think people are sleeping on Reeves. I think he's a much more solid addition then some people here are wanting to give credit for. Molden has the tools it's just going to be the matter of getting him to game speed in the NFL as opposed to AA College. I know we're all abouy his raw ability but it's going to take time.

Most of the time a starter has to really mess up or prove he's not getting it done for a back-up to take his role...

If someone's gonna unexpectedly get their spot taken look for it to happen in pre-season/training camp...

I don't think it's that rare especially with rookies. I think over the years, there have been a lot of rooks that start the season on the bench and then work their way into playing time. I admit I don't have any examples at hand*, but I'm pretty sure it's not that unusual.

And not just because someone like Faggins is screwing up and that lets someone like Bennett in or because someone gets injured.

* Well I mean I have some but they're unusual. Like Dorsett eventually beating out Pearson.

Kubiak has not been afraid to uproot anyone if the player needs uprooting and an alternate is available . It is however a little unfair to call someone a starter on defense in houston since everyone is in a rotation up front .

I really hope Adibi can make the starting lineup. I think his style of play will make our D more dangerous. Even though he ran a slow time at the combine (4.8 I think) He really gets around the field and finds the ball quick. Playing next to Demeco will be fun to watch.

Well, based on that lineup we have at least 7 questionable starters on defense and 2 on offense. There's alot that has to fall in place for this team to better last year's record.

last year going into the season we had 6 ? on offence (everyone bar aj, winston, weary, daniels/leach and pitts)
and 8 ? on D (ex demeco, dunta and morlon)

I really hope Adibi can make the starting lineup. I think his style of play will make our D more dangerous. Even though he ran a slow time at the combine (4.8 I think) He really gets around the field and finds the ball quick. Playing next to Demeco will be fun to watch.

4/4 Update: Xavier Adibi did improve his speed at the Pro Day, reportedly running a 4.68 and 4.62. Yet, that is not much better than his 4.69 at the Combine. The rest of Adibi's numbers got a little better as well. His athleticism and instincts might keep him in the second round, but his speed may drop him down early into the second day.

Back