Mock Texans Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ali4Real, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Ali4Real

Ali4Real Guest

Texans fans, what would YOUR mock depth chart look like for the upcoming 2008-2009 season?

Houston Texans Depth Chat ~ Ali4Real

QB: Matt Schaub
    RB: Ahman Green/Chris Brown
    FB: Vonta Leach
    OT: Eric Winston
    OG: Kasey Studdard
    C: Chris Myers
    OG: Chester Pitts
    OT: Duane Brown
    TE: Owen Daniels
    WR: Andre Johnson
    WR: Kevin Walter

DE: Mario Williams
    DT: Frank Okam
    DT: Amobi Okoye
    DE: Rosevelt Colvin
    OLB: Xavier Adibi
    MLB: DeMeco Ryans
    OLB: Morlon Greenwood
    SS: C.C. Brown
    FS: Nick Ferguson
    CB: Fred Bennett
    CB: Antawun Molden

Your thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

That looks like a mock starting line-up, not a depth chart.

I don't see Ferguson starting in any scenario... and as much as I liked the Okam pick, it would take a lot for him to be a starter in September.

Colvin as the starting DE? I dont' see that either, but I think he'll get more playing time than just on passing downs.

I don't agree with a lot of your starters - but you definitely took some chances with it, which is good.

3. maddogmrb

maddogmrb All Pro

Well, based on that lineup we have at least 7 questionable starters on defense and 2 on offense. There's alot that has to fall in place for this team to better last year's record.

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Here are my thoughts...

What have we seen in Studdard to give him the starting nod over Brisiel and Weary? He didn't last but a few plays after Wearing went down until Brisiel came in. IMO, it's Brisiel's spot to lose.

Colvin's likely to be our 3rd down DE. Weaver will still get the starting spot.

Ferguson will be lucky to get a roster spot much less starting. It's Demps' spot to lose. I will say there will be alot of battling in TC for the S position.

TJ is NOT a bust. He was our best DT last season. Just because he doesn't harrass the QB like everyone wants doesn't make him a bust at the position. If TJ's healthy the starting DT next to AO is his.

:texflag:

5. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

rookie fourth rounder as starting OLB?

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I agree

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Kubes has identified Zac Diles as the starting OLB some time ago. He may turn out to be one of the best 4th rounders we've selected. Of course that can be debated as he has not played a down in 08.

8. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

you're starting lineup is all outta wack.

9. Polo

Polo Guest

Diles was taken in the 7th

10. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I agree that it is Demps job to lose.

Maybe with out that thing on his arm this year he'll get some picks. If not lets spray some stickum on his hands. The guys been in position a lot, just can't seem to pick the ball with that bum arm last year. Well anyway a broken up past may not be as good as an INT, but it beets a completion so I'll shut it for now.

11. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

By my count, you have four rookies in the starting lineup (three of which are on the defense) - I just don't see it bro. That's a lot of inexperience to field on game day.

Duane Brown is the only one who is slated to be a starter... and thats a huge step forward for that kid.

Okam should find his way into the DT rotation, and if he plays well, could push TJ for more playing time. I see Molden as waiting in the wings for either the nickel or CB2 slot... and like Bennett, his chance to start could be a mid-season injury away. Adibi is most likely going to be groomed a little longer - I love the kid - I've written articles about him - I don't think the Texans are ready to throw him out there on opening day. Especially when they brought in two LBs with NFL experience in Thompson and Bentley.

I like the fact that you're hip to the talent the Texans acquired through the draft - I just think they need a little seasoning before they're anointed as "starters".

12. Polo

Polo Guest

I see Okam as a situational/rotation player this upcoming season...

All this talk of him uprooting TJ and being the starter opening day is funny...

Amobi needs to step his game up to reach the level Travis played at last year...I expect he'll easily do that, but still...

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Opening day, without going through TC and learning more, I expect this:

QB: Matt Schaub
    RB: Ahman Green
    FB: Vonta Leach
    OT: Eric Winston
    OG: Mike Brisiel
    C: Chris Myers
    OG: Chester Pitts
    OT: Duane Brown
    TE: Owen Daniels
    WR: Andre Johnson
    WR: Kevin Walter

DE: Mario Williams
    NT: Travis Johnson
    DT: Amobi Okoye
    DE: Anthony Weaver
    OLB: Kevin Bentley (Although I think it's Zac's job to lose at this point)
    MLB: DeMeco Ryans
    OLB: Morlon Greenwood
    SS: C.C. Brown
    FS: Will Demps
    CB: Fred Bennett
    CB: Jacques Reeves

I'm hoping that Okam steps up and pushes TJ for the NT spot. And by mid-season, I'm hoping that Molden, Diles, and Adibi are pushing for playing time.

Goldensilence likes this.
  14. Polo

Polo Guest

Pretty hard to just plain uproot a guy during the course of the season...

Most of the time a starter has to really mess up or prove he's not getting it done for a back-up to take his role...

It can happen, but it's rare.

If someone's gonna unexpectedly get their spot taken look for it to happen in pre-season/training camp...

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Stupid,stupid. That's what I get for doing two things at once. Why does work keep interrupting. You are correct.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Agree with your post but it will be interesting to see how Weary does by game one.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree PN. Hopefully the difference maker this season will be more talent on our depth chart and the core of our team staying healthy. :cool:

18. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think prior to TC this is the most realistic starting lineup. Weary is coming off surgery and will at least be healthy enough to battle for the RG but i think Brisiel will win it.

Weaver will get the starting nod this year again but I'm not expacting an abundance of production from him. I am real curious on Colvin's impact overall at LB and DE. His flexibility should ideally make things very interesting. I don't want to hear anyone saying Smith doesn't fully have pieces this season as an excuse for a bland unagressive scheme.

DB will be fun to watch during TC. I'm curious to see what the Harrison's will bring and I think Demps will be in the starting lineup. I really think people are sleeping on Reeves. I think he's a much more solid addition then some people here are wanting to give credit for. Molden has the tools it's just going to be the matter of getting him to game speed in the NFL as opposed to AA College. I know we're all abouy his raw ability but it's going to take time.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I don't think it's that rare especially with rookies. I think over the years, there have been a lot of rooks that start the season on the bench and then work their way into playing time. I admit I don't have any examples at hand*, but I'm pretty sure it's not that unusual.

And not just because someone like Faggins is screwing up and that lets someone like Bennett in or because someone gets injured.

* Well I mean I have some but they're unusual. Like Dorsett eventually beating out Pearson.

20. pappy

pappy Veteran

Kubiak has not been afraid to uproot anyone if the player needs uprooting and an alternate is available . It is however a little unfair to call someone a starter on defense in houston since everyone is in a rotation up front .