Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Matt Schaub 2007 expectations

alphajoker

Veteran
Ok, now that we have our QB of the future, what kind of season do you expect from him? I would like to see at least 20 TD passes from our new QB and of course, more wins.

I expect him to struggle a bit out of the gate, then the team starts to "gel" and we start winning. I expect him to be capable of orchestrating a two-minute drill, never give up and pull off some come-from-behind wins.

If he manages to pull off the confidence he shows off the field, on the field, we are all going to be amazed at the results. The rest of the team will feed off his energy and confidence and we will look like a real NFL team for once.

I think alot will be determined by our RB's ability to gain yards. If we can chop 6-16 yards here and there like Dayne was doin at the end of last year. Hold on to your arse, for some fireworks. If Schaub can read D's, find recievers, and is as accurate as publicized it will be fun to watch.

I want to see him step up and make a big play in the 4th quarter, with the game on the line. That is something Carr did not do last season. There were at least 2 games last season where we needed a late drive to hold a lead and had to give the game back to a worn down defense, because we could'nt make a big play when we needed to.

hopefully our coach will let them play a little longer in the preseason, than is customary for the starters. We need the extra reps together.

Either way, I think we'll take a "Philip Rivers" aproach at least the first two, maybe three weeks. Make sure the game isn't to fast for him, by leaning on the running game heavely... Just like with David, there will be plays drawn up for him to make something happen. if he passes the test, we'll see the 25 points per game that Kubiak's offense is designed to produce.

He's not going to be flashy, or put up gaudy Peyton Manning stats, but he's going to put enough pressure on opposing defenses that they have to worry about the passing game, on more than 2 snaps a game.

hopefully our coach will let them play a little longer in the preseason, than is customary for the starters. We need the extra reps together.

Either way, I think we'll take a "Philip Rivers" aproach at least the first two, maybe three weeks. Make sure the game isn't to fast for him, by leaning on the running game heavely... Just like with David, there will be plays drawn up for him to make something happen. if he passes the test, we'll see the 25 points per game that Kubiak's offense is designed to produce.

He's not going to be flashy, or put up gaudy Peyton Manning stats, but he's going to put enough pressure on opposing defenses that they have to worry about the passing game, on more than 2 snaps a game.

That sounds like a pretty good approach to me.

My expectaion for Schaub in 2007?

Help the Offense not hurt it.

I think Schaub has a chip on his shoulder, and wants to explode and prove Atlanta they made a big mistake. He will dominate Vick in every category (except rushing) and win more games :). jmo!

I'll wait to see what the rest of our offense is going to look like until I predict how he'll do. If we're heading into the season with Kevin Walter as our #2 WR, I'm not going to have high expectations because AJ will just draw double coverage again.

I think Schaub's attitude and presence is going to do wonders for our whole team. offense and defense. I think our overally team is better than it was last year (wr2 is a ?, but it's hard to tell if we're actually going to miss moulds or we're assuming we are)

schaub is more of a leader than david. I think the players on the team are going to respect him and listen to him. This is very important because then they will PLAY for him. He's going to make the offense work harder. I think the whole attitude of our team is changing and our defense is going to be pissed off everytime they are on the field (not at the offense like last year, but at the other team) They are going to play hard. We have better LB's, the same DL (except weaver's surgery : ( And I hope to address secondary with a starter from the first day of the draft.

The texans have a new attitude and it's a totally different team. they have a year under their built of switching schemes and will be more confident.

I expect schaub to have a good year. If we can go 8-8 I will be very happy. I'd love more but am realistic. If schaub can give us our first non losing season in franchise history, I think Houston is going to worship him. I don't think .500 is too far out of the question.

Attitude is everything and now our Team finally has some.

No excuses. Wins are what counts. He has to be a leader on and off the field and chew nails for breakfast. He has to fight off those three defenders in his face within within 1.5 seconds, deal with it like a man, and throw touchdown passes. If receivers drop anything, that's his fault. He's the LEADER. If a player is injured, that's his fault too! If the cheerleaders are unhappy....his fault. Above all else, he has to measure up to comparisons, and....

win more than 2 games. :dontknowa

Here are some of the differences I will be looking for with Schaub vs last year.

A much lower three-and-out percentage for drives in a game.

More touchdowns in the red zone (which means seeing less of Kris Brown too).

An actual two minute offense.
Some fourth quarter drives.

Increased time of possenssion in a game.

5 step, 7 step and shot gun plays. Audibles would be awsome.

Less predictable play calling. Last year was ridiculously easy on opposing defense since the Texans only used about half a dozen plays (it seems).

More recievers thrown to in a game. The ball thrown more then 20 yards to a team mate and spread around the field.

While overall touchdowns to int and passing yards are the easy numbers to look for... these areas above are a true signs of how close we are running Kubiak's offense the way he envisions it.

Mainly, I need to see more deep passes caught over the shoulder, close to the sideline--like some, or not none. Practically the only time Carr did that seemed about once a year. Seems like all (as if it were a lot) of Carr's deep passes were thrown down the middle and to a sideways running receiver, which is fine, but can he hit them over the shoulder at all?

I think Schaub has a chip on his shoulder, and wants to explode and prove Atlanta they made a big mistake. He will dominate Vick in every category (except rushing) and win more games :). jmo!

Can't wait till we play Atlanta.

Watching Mario & 'Meco taking out their aggression on Ron Mexico...........

I espect Schaub to be our leader on offense and lead us to more wins. Statistically, I really don't have the slightest guess, but I'll say his rating is in the low to mid 80's and he passes for about 17 TDs, 9 INTs, and alittle above 3000 yards. If he does that, I'll be very happy and call this move a smart one.

I espect Schaub to be our leader on offense and lead us to more wins. Statistically, I really don't have the slightest guess, but I'll say his rating is in the low to mid 80's and he passes for about 17 TDs, 9 INTs, and alittle above 3000 yards. If he does that, I'll be very happy and call this move a smart one.

yep....3100 yrds 19 tds 9 ints 90 qb rating 62% passing would be good with me...:dance2:

Schaub to Johnson. Touchdown! All Day!
schaubtdpass.jpg

my expectations for the guy is realistic...i expect him to struggle at first since he will still be developing a relationship with his new guys...i expect him to spend extra time with guys like ahman green, andre johnson, and owen daniels to make sure they get on the same page quickly

for the season i expect him to put us in more winning situations than carr was able to since he hasn't been sacked 249 times...i expect him to see the open receiver and hit him instead of looking for the pass rush

i expect him to be the leaders he's talked about being

overall i think in the beginning of the season he'll struggle but by week 3 or 4 it'll start to click and he'll guide us to a multi-game win streak something we've never seen the texans do

Mainly, I need to see more deep passes caught over the shoulder, close to the sideline--like some, or not none. Practically the only time Carr did that seemed about once a year. Seems like all (as if it were a lot) of Carr's deep passes were thrown down the middle and to a sideways running receiver, which is fine, but can he hit them over the shoulder at all?

Who cares what the future QB of the Berlin Thunder can and can't do.

We are talking about Matt Schaub here.

It is hard for me to set any expectations on Schaub for this season, mainly because his play will depend on several other factors - mainly the offensive line. I think Schaub's biggest impact could be from the "intangible" factor (which was a great topic brought up earlier this weekend). As a result, my expectations are as follows:

(1) Leadership - This term has been thrown around so much in connection with Carr. Ultimately, I think we need to win for Schaub to garner the ultimate respect in the locker room. It will be some time before he has that sort of opportinity on the field, but I would expect for Schaub to show something in the camps and in practice that sets this tone for the season. I would expect for him to be someone who is well liked in the locker room and a player that his teammates want to see succeed. I expect him to be more "one of the guys" than Carr was.

(2) Confidence - I don't think Schaub has to put up incredible numbers next year to be an improvement over Carr. If he can prove to be someone who has confidence in the huddle and presence on the field, we give Kubiak's system a chance to succeed. Forget about the sacks, fumbles and interceptions, how many times the last couple of years (but especially last season), did we see Carr muff a snap or trip on one of his lineman's feet? I didn't keep track of this sort of thing, but I feel confident that something like this happened on average 2 times/ game last year. When those things happen on a four down series, you are done. Combine that with the fumbles, interceptions and predictable play calling due to a cut pack play book and it is no surprise why our offensive production was so poor.

There are going to be more sacks and interceptions next year for every team, but Schaub can't have those sort of issues.

(3) Consistency - The past couple of years it has been one step forward, two steps back. We would look good in one quarter and dreadful in the other three. Again, I don't think Schaub has to be a total game breaker, but I expect Schaub to bring some consistency to this offense.

Even if Schaub puts up moderate numbers, I expect him to be the presence/ personality on offense that David wasn't. If he can be that and just play consistent, we will be much better.

I expect Matt to struggle not as much as carr did but get his poise after maybe the 2nd or 3rd game,considering that he plays a decent amount of time in the pre-season games. All in all I see this team going 8-8.

I expect him to struggle a bit out of the gate, then the team starts to "gel" and we start winning.

I've seen this several times over the last few days, and it got me to thinking about how brutal our opening schedule was in 2006. Maybe with all of the news surrounding our team the last few days the schedule makers won't kill us out of the gate and give us a fighting chance for a good start this year. Please??? If I remember correctly, the schedule usually comes out 2-3 weeks after the spring owner's meetings.

Also, maybe the major changes we've made might actually garner us a prime-time game this season after all...I LOVE the night games!!!

I've seen this several times over the last few days, and it got me to thinking about how brutal our opening schedule was in 2006. Maybe with all of the news surrounding our team the last few days the schedule makers won't kill us out of the gate and give us a fighting chance for a good start this year. Please??? If I remember correctly, the schedule usually comes out 2-3 weeks after the spring owner's meetings.

Also, maybe the major changes we've made might actually garner us a prime-time game this season after all...I LOVE the night games!!!

Yeah, I think the schedule comes out April 5. Can anyone back me up on this?

Tough question. I think/hope that we'll start to see some more consistant play behind center, we'll see sacks and fumbles for sure, but I hope that we'll see a QB that gets right back on the horse, and a team that rallies around this position. Result-wise, if we gel early we're looking at a possible winning season and playoff chance, if it takes a while longer we're looking at a 6/10 - 8/8 season.

Personally the progress on the field this season is more important than the actual win-column, but often these two accompany each other.

Looking forward to seeing a leader on the field, leaders can accomplish amazing things, that's what I expect to see! :)

Schaub is taking us to the playoffs

I don't see that happening this year I woul dbe happy with 8-8 but playoffs be realalistic. We have Walters as a #2 reciever thats not going to get us anywhere with Andre in double coverage again. Everyone is just going to get pissed after the first few games when Schaub struggles, but he will pull it together eventually for an 8-8 season :elmo:

Did anyone see the interview on nfl.com? The clips they showed, ATL's Oline is not that good and his 3-step drop covers the distance of a 5-step drop his legs are so long, lol.

Night games are the worst, I have to stay up until 5-6 am to watch it all. More noon games please! :)

Schaub will struggle a lil bit during the first couple of games then we will see the player everyone is expecting to see. He will be calm, cool, collected, and will pick your defense apart. I say he throws for at least 24 td's and maybe less than 10 int. during the season. He will lead us to our first winning season. JMHO!!

I am simply expecting a competent player behind center that will be able to move a real NFL offense down the field on a consistent basis. I don't want to get wraped up in stats because I believe that if Schaub is leading the team like he says he will everything else will come.

Not really sure what to expect stats wise. Too much left to be determined. We need a #2 WR bad. I think we trade down and take one in round 1. That would help. How does Spencer do in his recovery, and if not, can Black/Salaam do well enough to cover in the interim? How does the rest of the Oline perform? Does Green do his best impression of the Ahman Green of old or the type of green on old moldy cheese? How long until Schaub feels comfortable with his teammates, and gets that onfield rapport going?

Well, I will take a stab - I think he starts a little slow, and gains steam, and by midseason, NOBODY will be talking about how much we gave up for him except in the postive. I will be somewhat conservative, I think he can beat these numbers potentially - 18-20 TD passes, 12-14 interceptions, 3400 yds, 30 sacks.

In 2008, he takes a big leap, and with a good FA and draft class, we make our first playoff appearance and win a good 11+ games. Go Matt! Go Texans!:dance2:

I expect him to struggle for the first third or half of the season as teams expect us to have O-line problems and blitz a great deal. Once he gets to trust the line better, reads the defenses a bit and feels confident leading the team things will get much better. I expect a 6-10 season without seeing a schedule. 7-9 if things go well.

Overall I'm trusting Kubiak and the staff when they say he is going to be a good QB. I suspect that he will be above average when all things are said and done.

Honestly....

I expect us to make the play-offs next year...

I expect a 10 win season...

Win Standpoint:
I expect us to go 8-8. I feel like Carr could have led this team to 8-8 this upcoming year, and if he is indeed an upgrade than he should do the same.

Moral Victory Standpoint:
Beat the Titans at least once, beat the colts once, and sweep the jaguars. Why? Carr was able to take this team and beat the jaguars twice, he was able to dethrone the colts (with a great pass to setup the game winning field goal) and Schaub needs to prove that houston doesn't miss Vince Young by beating the Titans at least once.

Statwise:
Be top 5 in pass completion, our offense is built for that, thats why Carr led the nfl with it. Throw at least 20 touchdowns and throw less than 17 interceptions.

Why the high expectations? He has had his whole career in the west coast offense, he doesn't need time to grow, he has had two starts against nfl teams, he knows what the feeling is like, so I don't expect to wait for him to grow. If he fails, it'll be ok, we will be a top pick next season and be able to grow with Brian Brohm, or if after two seasons he fails we can pickup Colt Mccoy.

I don't hate Schaub, but I haven't fallen in love with him, its all on how he does, we gave up quite a bit for him, and we have pretty much set aside and given him the keys to the team, well, lets see what you got.

Better decision making, especially under pressure.

More respect from teammates.

Better reads to find the open receivers, I expect the ball will get spread around a lot more this year.

Most of all, consistancy.

With Carr and the draft picks, I was expecting the Texans to go 8-8. For Schaub to be the better product, I expect nothing less than a winning season and a play-off berth. (This is essentially them winning one or two or three of those close games they used to find ways to lose.) Anything less than that would not be worth the trade.

2004 - 7-9
2006 - 6-10
2007 - 9-7/10-6

With Carr and the draft picks, I was expecting the Texans to go 8-8. For Schaub to be the better product, I expect nothing less than a winning season and a play-off berth. (This is essentially them winning one or two or three of those close games they used to find ways to lose.) Anything less than that would not be worth the trade.

2004 - 7-9
2006 - 6-10
2007 - 9-7/10-6

LOL...

This is probably the ONLY thing I've ever agreed with you on...and I like how you put it too...

2004 - 7-9
2006 - 6-10
2007 - 9-7/10-6

With Carr and the draft picks, I had us around 4-6 wins. I think he totally lost the team, and if we had shuttled him out there, the results would have been extremely poor. Six wins to me would have been very generous.

With Schaub, my initial guess is 8-8. I need to see the draft and other moves, and see how training camp goes, but my prediction won't be less than 7 or more than 9 most likely.

Back