Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mario Williams

6bce3141-5bfe-4079-97a0-c070b8ef91be.jpg

"I want my mommy!"

-Jay

I gotta eat my crow too, I said earlier this season that Mario hadn't given us any "wow" moments.

Tonight was wow.

Mario's the man.

couldn't see the game because of work, but a friend of mine texted me after his final sack, but all he said was "Texans get the last laugh. Reggie and Vince suck." i knew Mario must've done something sweet.

All doubters have been put to shame.

Mario has almost as many sacks as VY has interceptions.... and that is REALLY saying something. Way to go!

Mario has more TD's than Reggie Bust has had 25+ yard runs... in his career.

And hate to gloat but I always dreamed about getting Mario over RB and VY... and he finally is living up to his SUPER Mario tag.

I just walked in from the game. Nice to meet Edo and Overalls.....both very nice guys. Mario was lights out tonight and Okoye really helped with great push inside on two of Mario's sacks...this should be a great tandem next season. Seems the team is turning the corner as Mario turns his corner. Its been a while since I remember feeling this good about the team.

This was the best Texans home game i've ever attended!!! The crowd was electric, the team won decisively, and I think we've finally seen Mario turn the corner and become a legit superstar in H-Town as evidenced by the "MA-RI-O" chants throughout the stadium after every play he made tonight.

This was the best Texans home game i've ever attended!!! The crowd was electric, the team won decisively, and I think we've finally seen Mario turn the corner and become a legit superstar in H-Town as evidenced by the "MA-RI-O" chants throughout the stadium after every play he made tonight.

Man for sure. This was amazing. This was my third game (also was at the Indy and Titans games) and this one was by far the best. But that could also be because I was 7th row instead of 2nd deck last row...

I missed his performance because my sister wanted to watch Grey's Anatomy and the subsequent spinoff with Addison.
please tell me you're joking. please tell me you at least tried to give her five across the eyes just for thinking you might be willing to skip texans football for some trifling medical soap....

also, Mario Williams '08

Mario said in a post game interview on NFLN that he's never been to Hawaii and will never go unless invited.

I like the attitude! :texflag:

Never, ever tell anyone you watched Grey's Anatomy over the Texans. For shame.

Well, I watch with the wife. There are lot worse chick shows out there. Bonding time. It works. Twenty five years of marrage and counting. Pick your fights carefully, don't sweat the small stuff...carve out some bonding time. You will be king of the house.

Yes, but your sister conveintly forgot to tell you it was a re-run...too funny. See I knew becuse I let her watch her shows and when I decide to dump one... she lets me.

Excellent reasoning. :sarcasm:

« High marks for primetime Texans | Main

December 13, 2007
What an incredible 31-13 victory for the Texans (w/audio)
Before we dive into the Texans' 31-13 victory over the Broncos, let's give some credit to Charley Casserly, the former general manager who convinced owner Bob McNair and coach Gary Kubiak to draft Mario Williams over Reggie Bush.

Here you go dude, this is on todays blog.

Link

If John McClain said it, then it has to be true.

So what you're saying is that I'm supposed to believe you and some of the MB members instead of McClain who is a lot closer to the team?
Let me think about that one......the answer is no, I'll believe McClain.

So what you're saying is that I'm supposed to believe you and some of the MB members instead of McClain who is a lot closer to the team?

McClain has also stated on numerous occasions that the Texans made a mistake picking Mario over Vince Young, and has consistently stated that VY should already have his name engraved on the Hall of Fame.

So take McClain's spewage with a grain of salt. The dude is a weed in the wind, and if he was as smart as he thinks he is, he would be working for a team evaluating talent instead of just talking about one.

And actually, McClain is not that close to the team. He's a lot closer to the Tennessee Titans, though. They are his favorites.

McClain is closer to the NFL in general but isn't closer to this team. There has been a notable drop off in attributed quotes since Casserly left. McClain is doing nothing more than speculating like any other fan at this point.

« High marks for primetime Texans | Main

December 13, 2007
What an incredible 31-13 victory for the Texans (w/audio)
Before we dive into the Texans' 31-13 victory over the Broncos, let's give some credit to Charley Casserly, the former general manager who convinced owner Bob McNair and coach Gary Kubiak to draft Mario Williams over Reggie Bush.

Here you go dude, this is on todays blog.

Link

Digging a little deeper , you must thank them for extending Carr's contract . Then thank Bush for taking illegal money .

Take these two events and add Mario's off the chart combine and you get our present situation .

Did it seem like the lineman were standing nearly single file in the middle of the field prior to snaps, and then they'd move once the offense came to the line of scrimmage so the offense didn't know where Mario was going to line up until they set up? Have we always done that and I just never noticed?

That's freakin sweet that Smith is letting Mario call for his favorite five plays, and it seems to be working too.

Did it seem like the lineman were standing nearly single file in the middle of the field prior to snaps, and then they'd move once the offense came to the line of scrimmage so the offense didn't know where Mario was going to line up until they set up? Have we always done that and I just never noticed?

We've been doing that for most of the year. It's not entirely to keep the offense from knowing where Mario is; it's also about looking at the offensive alignment and then us putting our guys where they can do the most damage. For example, to put Mario weakside or strongside for a particular play.

I just walked in from the game. Nice to meet Edo and Overalls.....both very nice guys. Mario was lights out tonight and Okoye really helped with great push inside on two of Mario's sacks...this should be a great tandem next season. Seems the team is turning the corner as Mario turns his corner. Its been a while since I remember feeling this good about the team.

Good point on Okoye, looking back at the highlights he may not have any sacks to show for it but he was creating havoc last night.

Jim Rome:

Mario Williams is a Monster
Jim Rome / 12-14-2007

Quick shout out to Houston Texans stud, Mario Williams. Speaking on behalf the entire universe, sorry we crushed and vilified you before you had even stepped on to your first NFL field. Sorry, we annihilated you as the NFL’s Sam Bowie before you had even had a chance to rush your first NFL QB…and we’re all guilty of it.

Who amongst us didn’t jump the Texans for taking Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young. I mean, has there even been more pressure on a draft pick. Even if he succeeded, he still failed. No matter what he did, it would never be enough. Considering he went first and who he was taken over, he had to be a once in a lifetime player. Playing great wasn’t enough, he had to take over games by himself…and that’s exactly what he’s doing now. Taking over games. He hounded Jay Cutler last night like he owed him money or stole something from him…sacked him three and half times…giving him 9 in the last 5 games alone.

The guy is playing like a stronger Dwight Freeney…a faster Patrick Kerney. He’s playing like the number one pick overall…and he’s playing much better than Bush and V-Y. Bush and Young relied on their natural ability last year and both have taken big steps backwards this year. Williams, on the other hand, stayed the course and caught up with his ability, and now he dominating…and best of all, despite all the heat he took, he never once lashed out, got bent or demanded an apology. Well, here’s the apology you never asked for Mario, but deserve. You’re a beast on the field, a class act off it. You’ve blown by Bush and Young. You’re living up to the hype and it looks the Texans knew exactly what they were doing. See you in Honolulu, Mario!

Really good read. I think this also dispels a lot of rumors about how the decision was made (i.e. Bush was being unreasonable and McNair was pissed about the scandal).

But not everyone within the organization agrees on Williams. He didn't play hard at the beginning of last season, nor was he consistently productive. Casserly and Kubiak study all his games; they don't believe any of these negatives is persuasive enough. They also have questions about Bush. If he is this good, why did he play just part-time at USC? And why, near the end of the national championship game, did USC turn to LenDale White more than Bush? Do you pay No. 1 money to a guy who will not be a full-time back? They never answer these questions to their satisfaction.
May be not but I guessed this one correct. Still say leaving the owner of a NFL club dangling for two days wouldn't help any draft choice under any circumstances. Acroding to this, the desidsion was made way befor the scandals broke.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/12/what_an_incredible_3113_victor_1.html
McClain's Blog:
But the closer the Texans got to the draft, the more reports they heard about Bush and the controversy he would be in the middle of involving NCAA violations. First, it was Casserly who fell in love with Williams and recommended not drafting Bush. Then McNair and Kubiak came on board.

Last word from the horse's mouth:

On April 18, McNair meets with Kubiak, Casserly and the two coordinators so he can hear how each player would influence his respective side of the ball. Two days later, at a gathering of his minority partners, McNair is asked, "Isn't this a marketing as well as a football decision?" He responds: "Nothing is more important than doing what it takes to win games." McNair wants a contract signed before the draft but agrees a stalemate with either player won't prevent his selection.

http://www.sportingnews.com/exclusives/20060501/734742-p.html

Word

Did you also believe him when he stated in no uncertain terms that Pitts would be the left tackle under Kubiak, or when in January of this year he said Spencer's recovery was coming along nicely? Those two examples jump to mind, and can be found in old threads here (for anyone who cares to compare different points of view rather than relying solely on a newspaper's version of the truth).

I think I saw statements like the one quoted above then too when "some message board members" differed with his opinion. A lot of people argued with me and the couple of others who were not riding the "Spencer will be back for 2007" spin cycle. It was still a surpise to many when Spencer never made an attempt to play.

Does McClain have a lot of inside knowledge? Yes.

Is he infallible? No.

Is it easier just to believe everything one reads in the paper? I guess so.

=====================

Just for the record, I think the Capers coaching staff did far more damage to the team than Casserly. The reason I pointed out that Kubiak gets credit for good picks and Casserly gets credit for bad picks during that draft was to point out the irony of the situation.

That Sporting News article is right on, IMO. If you combine what it has with the press conference of Bob McNair, I think you get the full picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNw-tXyn6qM

In the press conference, McNair states that they had tendered both Reggie and Mario the same offer. (I think this was $26 million. But it sounds like both respective agents wanted $28 million (Sporting News). Sounds like Mario's agent was willing to relent the $2 million quicker than the Bush camp. Then again, McNair mentions they were "close enough" with Bush that it wasn't really an issue.)

As far as McClain goes, I'm really not quite sure why he keeps insisting that it was Casserley's pick. No doubt, he was still GM at the time and had input. Casserley liked Mario. But so did Kubes. Mr. McNair just wanted to win football games. In the youtube video, McNair explains that the coaches decided that they needed defense over offense with that pick. In the end, IMO, it was a consensus organizational pick. Not a one man decision. At least, that's the way I see it....

I was mixed up in the days leading to the draft. Honestly, I didn't want Bush because of exactly what's going on with him now. I knew that we couldn't get Young because of the Carr situation. And I was a little skeptical about Mario. To me though (and I know this sounds opposite of sexy) I thought Mario was the sexy pick. I thought he had the possibility of becoming great. The tangibles were there, but he was going from North Carolina State to the NFL after all. How it all translates is a crap shoot for sure, and like every college athlete, there were questions concerning Mario and his translation to the next level. Almost two seasons into his career, it looks like it's translating pretty well. I'm proud for him, for the organization, for the team, the fans, and everyone involved. All the positive press concerning him and our team is music to my ears. And I think that we all agree as he goes our team goes. One thing is for sure. He has set the bar pretty high for himself....:texflag:

There are going to be a lot of endorsements, schills, and degenerates coming after Mario this offseason wanting a piece of him. I hope he’s ready for it, because Reggie and VY clearly weren’t. I think that’s part of the reason they’ve regressed this year. While they were out doing their commercials, Mario had his nose to the grindstone.

There are going to be a lot of endorsements, schills, and degenerates coming after Mario this offseason wanting a piece of him. I hope he’s ready for it, because Reggie and VY clearly weren’t. I think that’s part of the reason they’ve regressed this year. While they were out doing their commercials, Mario had his nose to the grindstone.

Comments like this get you rep points. Well said.

Sorry to bring this old topic back up Joker, but this is in reference to why Mario didn't get nominated for Defensive Player of the Week and you said:

Mario didn't get nominated because his team didn't win their football game.

NFL Defensive Player of the Week Nominee's

So, here's an excerpt:

NFL said:
Brian Urlacher, LB, Chicago Bears
Urlacher was everywhere in the Bears' 20-13 loss to the Vikings on Monday night. He recorded six tackles, sacked Tarvaris Jackson two times, intercepted him once and recovered a fumble by the Vikings quarterback.

Impressive stats none the less.

1) Brian Urlacher is one of the most well known players in the league

2) The game was broadcast on MNF

3) That's one hell of a game.

• Mario Williams' breakout season validates his selection as the No. 1 overall selection in 2006 NFL Draft. Often compared to Bruce Smith as a prospect, Williams is becoming a dominant pass rusher off the edge due to improved footwork and hand usage. No longer relying solely on his athleticism to defeat blockers, Williams has developed a series of counter moves to handle the various short sets opposing tackles have used against him.

But the real key to Williams' stellar season has been the Texans' decision to use him primarily at left end after using him at several spots last year. By lining Williams to the offensive right, the Texans are often able to get their top pass rusher matched up against tight ends and running backs in pass protection (most offenses are right handed, so teams typically line up their tight end to the right). And move is paying off, as Williams has tallied 10 sacks in the past seven games, including three and a half against the Broncos on Thursday night.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/12/16/scouts.notebook/1.html

I still firmly believe that the Texans did right by lining up Mario all over the place in his first year.
A crash course, you may say. Throwing him into the fire. Throwing him into the pool. Whatever. That is how you fast track a good player, long as you trust that he can benefit from it. Let him match up with lotsa good-great players on the O-line.

I truly believe that it makes him a better player sooner for us. You can't be the best until you face all the best, IMHO.

2) The game was broadcast on MNF

I'm starting to think Mario is being punished because the Thursday night game was on NFLN.

I'm 90 miles east of Houston(Port Arthur Texas). I was at the Buccaneer game, but I set my DVR to record the game. The channel guide said it was going to be the Texans & the Bucs, but when I watched it, it was freak'n Dallas & the Lions.

My point, Mario's two best games weren't on TV.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ch___No__1_pick_turning_into_Super_Mario.html
TWENTY MONTHS ago, it seemed like a no-brainer. Reggie Bush or Mario Williams? A once-in-a-decade running back or a defensive end with a questionable motor.

When the Houston Texans went with the big guy behind door No. 2, well, the club's general manager, Charley Casserly, got a lot more votes for Village ***** than he did for NFL Executive of the Year. Bypassing Bush for Williams was considered Ryan Leaf-like lunacy.

"At least people believed in Ryan Leaf,'' said Casserly, who resigned shortly after the 2006 draft and now works for CBS. "Half the league would have taken Leaf [over Peyton Manning]. But we believed in what we were doing at the time. Now, I think people see what we saw then.''

Fourteen games into his second season, Williams is a blossoming star. He is second in the league in sacks with 13 and leads all NFL defensive ends in tackles.

Bush, meanwhile, who was taken by the Saints with the second pick in that draft, is not playing at all like a once-in-a-decade running back. Forced to be a carry-the-load running back after Deuce McAllister went down in Week 3 with a season-ending injury, Bush is averaging just 3.7 yards per carry and 5.7 yards per reception. Mr. Big Play has become Mr. Small Play.

"We had some questions about whether you could line Reggie up and play him every snap as a runner,'' Casserly said. "We did think he had big-play ability and did think he could have a role on the team. But would you have to have another back with him? That became a question.''

Bush is 6-foot and 200 pounds, which is 2 inches taller and about the same weight as the Eagles' Brian Westbrook, who also faced is-he-an-every-down-back questions when he came into the league. But Bush has a thinner lower body than Westbrook. His lower body resembles that of a wide receiver more than a running back. He also doesn't have near the leg strength that Westbrook does.

Casserly and the Texans felt they could get a running back later in the draft or even in free agency. They didn't think they could get a 6-7, 290-pound defensive end with 4.65 speed like Williams anywhere else.

"We were switching to a 4-3 from a 3-4 and needed a defensive end who could be a force,'' Casserly said. "When you're playing a four-man front, you've got to have a guy you can build that defense around. You saw the impact Reggie White had. I'm not trying to compare this kid to Reggie. But you've got to have that kind of guy in your defensive line. Somebody that people have to game plan against.''

Casserly scouted Williams several times in person and watched endless tape. He didn't see the inconsistent motor that many other scouts saw.

"I thought he played hard in every game I saw him play,'' he said. "What happens with a defensive lineman is, you can go stretches where you don't make any plays. You're playing hard, you're beating your man, but the ball might be going away from you or you just don't make the play."

Back