Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Looking ahead to the Washington Redskins

Had to laugh at these comments from DeAngelo Hall...

Link

The Skins players seem almost as upbeat about the game as their fans...

I haven't heard much about their negatives from that game...

If I'm a redskin player I would be making comments about how even though we won the game we have a heck of a lot to improve upon...

But I guess confidence is a good thing...

Paul Kuharsky said:
Open the screen door: Aaron Schatz tells us that the Texans averaged a league-leading 9.0 yards on screen passes last year, and the Redskins gave up 8.5 yards per screen pass, the third most in the league. Washington had better hope its switch to a 3-4 scheme has fixed that problem. If the Texans really want to test that out, Steve Slaton could have a bigger role in this game. They love him as a pass-catcher, especially on third downs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/15284/final-word-afc-south-14

Interesting tidbit here. We should try a couple of screens early and test the Redskins defense.

Hou-Tex, you keep your screen door closed. :D

HOU-TEX after Taco Hell!

Screen-Door-Repair.JPG

Love the fantasy projection this week for AJ by espn...

Matt Schaub threw only 17 passes in Week 1. That rumbling sound you hear is Andre Johnson getting ready to erupt in Week 2. Pity the poor Washington secondary about to get covered in volcanic ash.

:texflag:

I need to hear that story sometime...

No!! No, you really don't!

Oh, eff it!! We were talking about fast food. I forget whether it was Taco Bell, Wendy's - whatever! It gave
HOU-TEX the runs so bad he could shite through a screen door!

Check this video out....(NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwzcrTYXaw

It seems Redskin fans are getting a little overconfident about barely beating the 2nd best team in this state.

"I am "confidence" Awesome..... "I mean...."

:lol:

1 game?? Ummmmmm. :thinking: the last game Foster started in, plus one he didn't , he's had over 400 yards. If you add the Miami game that he didn't start, but still picked around a hundy---- he's at 5 hundy already!!

I generally don't pick on kids, but this guy is waaaaaaaaay off!!!

This is going to be a good game no doubt though.

The Cowboys played horrible, sure, but you would have to credit the Redskins defense.

Coming into this season the Cowboys have had one of the most explosive offenses over the past few seasons.

They have "played bad" and still put up 21 points on teams with lesser defense.

There is a reason the Cowboys could not hit on big plays downfield, with the exception of their final drive and the big pass to Miles Austin.

I will give yall credit but we here in Texas have the inconvenience of seeing their games every week. We also had the opportunity to play them in preseason. That Cowboys offense showed it was going to suck in preseason. They only scored one offensive TD in the preseason and that was because the defense ran a INT back to the 8 yard line. The argument that it's only preseason is nullified when you see how it translated to their opening game. They couldn't even get a FG. Yall brought the heat and trust me that worries me for our game but very quietly Schaub has been showing to be a better QB at dealing with blitzes than Tony Romo

Andre Johnson is a better WR then anyone on the Cowboys roster could ever hope to be, I'll give you guys that, but I am sure much of the focus of our secondary will be covering him with help from a safety over the top, to take away big play potential. He will probably still have a decent game, as most elite WRs still beat double coverage at times.

If he has a decent game, you will know it! This will also mean that Schaub is chucking it around to everyone because once he's on target with AJ, (count'em) Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels, David Anderson, Joel Dreesen all start to get touches because AJs decent game is better than alot people's decent game.

As far as Foster. To me the effectiveness of the running game is also going to come down to what the score is in the second half of the game. If the Texans are up, they will use Foster to try and wear down the Skins, set up for playaction. However if the game is tied or the Texans are behind, they will do what any other team would do and abandon the running game altogether.

No they will not. Kubiak, will remain dedicated to the run. The goal for this year is to become a more physical team and even though you can't see this in stats because our running game sucked...in many games where we were losing, Kubiak stayed with the run (causing many people to question the play calling) because it sets up Schaub's awesome ability to do play action pass. Remember Schaub did what he did last year without a running game. He also brought us back in games in which we were down 21-0 at halftime. You may want to ask for Foster to get his carries.]

To me, the biggest X factor in this game is the 'Skins offense. When you have a new coordinator and new QB, there are going to be struggles, but also there will be times where things seem to get on track ahead of time.

If the 'Skins can score 21-24 points on Sunday, I think they will win.

Again, don't misjudge our ability to score. 21 points is not going to put us away. Twice last year, we were down 21-0 and we came back to tie the game. I think that you misjudge our running game too because you feel the New England game was a fluke last year. Well take a look at the stats on our offense when we played @ Miami the week before. Miami's got a pretty good D - and yes Jason Taylor and all their big boys were playing because Miami still had a shot at the playoffs. Foster ran for over 100 and two TDs (You don't know because the media didn't care) on their 3-4 defense and Schaub threw for two more there also.
The Texans have a decent offense, but it is not a powerhouse. The 'Skins defense over the past few seasons has held better offenses to under 21 points, but the 'Skins offense was so horrible they could barely muster 17 points themselves.

As a 'Skins fan, I am not worried about our defense, I think we can handle or at least keep the damage to a minimum. It comes down to our offense and if we can put the ball in the endzone three times.

I agree to a point here but again I think you underestimate our offense, and really aren't giving our D any credit at all. You are still seeing the 400 yds of passing offense with 3 TDs that Manning put up and you are thinking Donovan can do the same. If this was Donovan 2nd year with you all, and maybe even December of this year I would understand. However it isn't and Donovan is nowhere near Peyton Manning. I know yall play Eli twice but trust me, he would be a cakewalk for us. Peyton Manning throwing for that many TDs and still losing is a good day at the office

This was my replies to this guy earlier in the week. He said they would win if they could put up 21 on us and I told him that even if they were up by that much it still wouldn't put us away. Schaub is just to calm for us to go down like that.

The Cowboys played horrible, sure, but you would have to credit the Redskins defense.

Coming into this season the Cowboys have had one of the most explosive offenses over the past few seasons.

They have "played bad" and still put up 21 points on teams with lesser defense.

There is a reason the Cowboys could not hit on big plays downfield, with the exception of their final drive and the big pass to Miles Austin.

I will give yall credit but we here in Texas have the inconvenience of seeing their games every week. We also had the opportunity to play them in preseason. That Cowboys offense showed it was going to suck in preseason. They only scored one offensive TD in the preseason and that was because the defense ran a INT back to the 8 yard line. The argument that it's only preseason is nullified when you see how it translated to their opening game. They couldn't even get a FG. Yall brought the heat and trust me that worries me for our game but very quietly Schaub has been showing to be a better QB at dealing with blitzes than Tony Romo

Andre Johnson is a better WR then anyone on the Cowboys roster could ever hope to be, I'll give you guys that, but I am sure much of the focus of our secondary will be covering him with help from a safety over the top, to take away big play potential. He will probably still have a decent game, as most elite WRs still beat double coverage at times.

If he has a decent game, you will know it! This will also mean that Schaub is chucking it around to everyone because once he's on target with AJ, (count'em) Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels, David Anderson, Joel Dreesen all start to get touches because AJs decent game is better than alot people's decent game.

As far as Foster. To me the effectiveness of the running game is also going to come down to what the score is in the second half of the game. If the Texans are up, they will use Foster to try and wear down the Skins, set up for playaction. However if the game is tied or the Texans are behind, they will do what any other team would do and abandon the running game altogether.

No they will not. Kubiak, will remain dedicated to the run. The goal for this year is to become a more physical team and even though you can't see this in stats because our running game sucked...in many games where we were losing, Kubiak stayed with the run (causing many people to question the play calling) because it sets up Schaub's awesome ability to do play action pass. Remember Schaub did what he did last year without a running game. He also brought us back in games in which we were down 21-0 at halftime. You may want to ask for Foster to get his carries.]

To me, the biggest X factor in this game is the 'Skins offense. When you have a new coordinator and new QB, there are going to be struggles, but also there will be times where things seem to get on track ahead of time.

If the 'Skins can score 21-24 points on Sunday, I think they will win.

Again, don't misjudge our ability to score. 21 points is not going to put us away. Twice last year, we were down 21-0 and we came back to tie the game. I think that you misjudge our running game too because you feel the New England game was a fluke last year. Well take a look at the stats on our offense when we played @ Miami the week before. Miami's got a pretty good D - and yes Jason Taylor and all their big boys were playing because Miami still had a shot at the playoffs. Foster ran for over 100 and two TDs (You don't know because the media didn't care) on their 3-4 defense and Schaub threw for two more there also.
The Texans have a decent offense, but it is not a powerhouse. The 'Skins defense over the past few seasons has held better offenses to under 21 points, but the 'Skins offense was so horrible they could barely muster 17 points themselves.

As a 'Skins fan, I am not worried about our defense, I think we can handle or at least keep the damage to a minimum. It comes down to our offense and if we can put the ball in the endzone three times.

I agree to a point here but again I think you underestimate our offense, and really aren't giving our D any credit at all. You are still seeing the 400 yds of passing offense with 3 TDs that Manning put up and you are thinking Donovan can do the same. If this was Donovan 2nd year with you all, and maybe even December of this year I would understand. However it isn't and Donovan is nowhere near Peyton Manning. I know yall play Eli twice but trust me, he would be a cakewalk for us. Peyton Manning throwing for that many TDs and still losing is a good day at the office

This was my replies to this guy earlier in the week. He said they would win if they could put up 21 on us and I told him that even if they were up by that much it still wouldn't put us away. Schaub is just to calm for us to go down like that.

That guy was just uninformed. We are a very high scoring team. Most people know that. 21 points isn't going to put us away automatically.

I had no idea Arian Foster's mom post on the HoustonTexans.com message board. Pretty cool

Originally Posted by TexMexMom
I know that because I'm his mom, people think I'm not objective. But his family might be more objective than many fans! So take all this with a grain of salt.

I think that's always been a knock on Arian...top end speed. He sure isn't the most speedy guy on the team. Not even close. But he has enough speed, good football speed as you can see, because he's run by many good SEC corners. I still think he's got enough speed to take one to the house, but he would need to prove that in this league.

It's been said, since he was 7 actually, that he's got a natural ability to shed tacklers. He tends to glide rather than cut, goes with the defense, has good vision and patience. His running style tends to be more fluid but still he has the size and power to deliver a blow. One thing you'll notice in the highlight film is that he rarely allows a good solid hit on him. He can turn his body to avoid a direct hit. He also has a great stiff arm and he will use it.

His hands are underrated. His dad played WR in his day so he taught both my sons how to see a ball in. That's been instilled at a very young age. He's worked on catching for a very many years. It's been said he's got soft hands, which is a good thing.

The one thing that stands out to me watching those highlights is how much better he is now at powering through tackles. In some of those where he was tripped up, I'm not so sure that would be as easy to do now. I think his offseason work out really focused on speed, footwork, burst and powering through tackles. I look at that film now and I think he's a much more solid ball player...in all areas of his game.

It's good to see his hard work pay off. I'm happy for him.
FYI, Arian's mom has posted on TT.com last year and this one. She never makes excuses for her son and offers a personal insight in a way I enjoy reading.

I think we will have good success with Walters and TEs seeing the ball a bit more to slow down the blitz. Also might see Slaton on the receiving end also. I think we are a 14 point favorite now.

Hopefully you didn't take that bet!

Great win by the Texans, but 14 points in the NFL is very, very rare. This was like watching a team play its mirror image

Back