Looking ahead to the Washington Redskins

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

So last night I watched the Dallas/Washington game and came to the conclusion that both of these teams are beatable.

Heres some interesting things to note about the Redskins:

1. McNabb looks out of sync with his new team. He was throwing passes off the dirt all night. His stat line was pretty dismal considering the hype that Shannahan's offense brought.

2. The new LT, 1st round pick Williams on the Redskins is the real deal. He's still a rookie, and Ware beat him a few times, but he's going to be a good player and will definitely be more challenging than whoever the Colts had.

3. The Redskins are good at defending the short, quick throws. Hall in particular was fantastic at jumping on the little quick outs from Romo to Bryant. We could exploit this with a nice fake.

4. Their run defense is better than the Colts. But it was still prone to giving up plays when the play calls were intelligent.

5. Haslett blitzes. A LOT. I was shocked at how often they brought the heat. Dallas never took advantage of this. Hopefully we'll throw over the top a few times to slow them down.

6. The Redskins defenders put 100% emphasis on stripping the ball. From an article on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/18196/redskins-strip-cowboys-of-dignity

If we can avoid turnovers and exploit the downfield passing attack, we should be in for a great game.

2. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I don't feel as though our offensive game plan changes too much here. Run the ball to set up the long pass.

I'm sure the 'Skins offense will improve a lot over the season. I imagine it will take some time, but they will get there. I think we are fortunate to play them early in the season rather then later. If our D-Line can get pressure like we did against the Colts then we will have no problems on D. Trent Williams is good, but he is still a rookie in his second NFL game. Go get him Mario.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think we will have good success with Walters and TEs seeing the ball a bit more to slow down the blitz. Also might see Slaton on the receiving end also. I think we are a 14 point favorite now.

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

14 points? I'd take the Redskins. No way would Vegas give us that kind fo line. I think we'll win, but not by 2 TDs

5. TexansForTheW

TexansForTheW Veteran

The Redskins were blitzing all night long. Get the screens ready. Put Slaton in and let him go to work. I have a feeling that we will be able to ram the ball down their throat again. It will be interesting on what we do on our 2nd and short next game. Hopefully we have plenty of chances and we can roll out the play action pass and take deep shots down the field. There should be plenty of check offs and screens by the Texans, and when the Skins start respecting it, let Foster tear them a new one. We need to run the ball effectively. Overall though, if we can score we are going to win the game.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

If Sunday night's Redskins show up then there is a real chance a double digit victory by the Texans. Simply did not have enough offense to stay with the Texans and the defense while okay is not dominating to regularly survive over the hill RBs and a blah WR core that McNabb is working.

The Vegas line will problably favor the Texans by one to three points. We can see for sure tommorrow.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Dallas has showed no sign of an offense preseason through now. They look lost and confused. Coach Phillips looked dejected. Washington barely wins and you don't think we are 14 point favs? Why? I anticipate Schaub to make up for his stats against the 'skins and I expect a blowout. I antcipate at least two INTs by our defense. Not over reaching just feel very confident. Do not under rate our guys. The Colts game will be a huge confidence builder for team and even more so Gary Kubiak.

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The current line is 3 points according to ESPN.

A 14 point line is reserved for undefeated patriots playing lowly lions or something like that.

You don't see 2 TD blowouts in the NFL very often, and certainly not when Vegas is setting odds for an away game

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I don't care if we beat them with a score of 2-0 on a safety as long as we win.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I thought this game was almost a two TD blowout and against a very good team. I don't think Washington could beat Colts if they were playing Sunday. I don't see what you see in that team.

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Mostly its just "Any Given Sunday"

The NFL is a pretty competitive league, the Redskins have always had a decent defense and Shannahan is a pretty good coach

12. Rey

Rey Guest

I keep hearing that the Redskins will have some kind of insight as to how we wil call plays...

Two things..We have beaten a Shanny Sr. run team before, and Dennison is the O. Coordinator here. Of course we will still have some of that Zone flair to our game, but I do not think the Redskins will be able to predict our offensive gameplan like I have heard some talk about.

If anything, I see Kubiak being able to give some insight to the defense as to how Shanny jr. calls plays...

13. Rey

Rey Guest

And I know this isn't a popular opinion...But Man....I'd love to make a trade for Haynesworth sometime in the next 24 hours...I seriously doubt the Skins would do that, but I'd love to have that fat Angry Man down in the middle of our D.

14. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Actually, you do see 2 TD or more blowouts quite a lot, but Vegas is smart enough not to predict them unless it is a situation such as has been mentioned. The winning team just wants to burn clock and win (usually), but who cares so much by how much.

15. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

I will have to give them some credit for a pretty funny "Texans look-alike" thread over at extremeskins.com.

I didn't see any offensive wizardry from the Shanahans last night, but it's early. And I think that plays to Kubiak's advantage. If anybody gets anything from the familiarity thing, I bet it's Houston.

16. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

Wow, big time homers over there. Refuse to see they don't match up well with us.

Plus, their hatred of Dallas spreads to us. Too bad they don't realize we hate them as much as more than they do.

17. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

I was not impressed at all with Washington. Fat Albert on the side pouting and the Washington Defense looked ok. I say if the Texans can runt he ball like they did yesterday, Washington is in for a long afternoon...

18. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Our next three games are very doable if the Texans show up like they did against Indy.

19. TexansForTheW

TexansForTheW Veteran

Some sound like they are banking on us having a let down game. They obviously did not watch our game. They look at the stats and see the 400 plus yards and 3 touchdowns. They fail to realize that Peyton passed 50 times. Gained a huge chunk of his yardage in garbage time, and if not for Schuab's Int and the last score when the game was over, the Colts could have very easily scored 10 points for the game. Peyton put up 30 against the Jets last year. The Texans had Manning laying on the ground in pain at the end of the game. He was feeling the heat a majority of his dropbacks as well. Im sorry but I dont see the confidence by beating a horrible Cowboys team and coming off such a sorry display of offensive football. Do they not realize that they did not score a touchdown against a line that the Texans previously destroyed a few weeks earlier. Im not saying we are going to win, but they act like we are the easy game. And it is laughable.

20. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Signing up at ExtremeSkins (you can't use a free email, so I suggest using the ImaTexan ones). Those fans over there seem to think Mike and Kyle know Kubiak's ins and outs and that's why they will win. They forget that Kubiak beat Shanny in the regular season, and knows them probably better than they know him.