Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak: Foster will be tough to unseat at RB

If he can keep the job and produce great. If a guy unseats him, obviously means that guy was better or outproducing him so good there. Don't read too much into this. Not saying Foster won't keep the job or won't start or isn't the leader or isn't looking good, whatever, but it's only the 4th day of camp. From what I hear, all the backs look good. Now that the pads are on, let's see what happens?!

If he can keep the job and produce great. If a guy unseats him, obviously means that guy was better or outproducing him so good there. Don't read too much into this. Not saying Foster won't keep the job or won't start or isn't the leader or isn't looking good, whatever, but it's only the 4th day of camp. From what I hear, all the backs look good. Now that the pads are on, let's see what happens?!

good point

There is an ESPN "insider" article titled "Rumor: In Houston Slatons Star is Fading". If someone here is an insider can you post up the article. I'm being cheap and don't wanna pay teh fee.:redface:

I think it is "shot across the bow" to the vets. We nowhave some competition in this position and Gary is doing the coach thing to push them to success. I'll be surprised if Slaton does not start, although I'd be pleased if gary says at end of TC "Slaton is out 3rd down guy as we drafted him." I'd like to see a tag team with Tate and Foster & Slaton getting a few RB touches and some as a slot receiver. AJ, JJ and Slaton linef up with Tate and Holladay in backfield...of course Schaub would have to plant and throw quickly or run a bootleg.

There is an ESPN "insider" article titled "Rumor: In Houston Slatons Star is Fading". If someone here is an insider can you post up the article. I'm being cheap and don't wanna pay teh fee.:redface:

Here ya go...

Slaton fighting for carries

UPDATE: Jordan Godwin of the Houston Chronicle writes that Houston Texans running back Steve Slaton has been looking good so far this offseason, and is poised to bounce back after his sub-par second-year campaign. If he can regain his rookie form, he could steal some of his carries back from Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

---

Frank Tadych of NFL.com writes that Slaton has recovered from his neck injury and will be returning to full-contact mode soon.

Slaton is not expected to have the featured RB role in the Texans' offense, as Foster seized the reins of the starting running back position in Slaton's absence last year and again during the offseason. Also, rookie Tate has entered the mix, and is in the mix to be the "bellcow" lead back as well.

Rather, it's expected that Slaton will be the third-down back, and he'll have opportunities to make an impact in the aerial attack as well. ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky checks in with his assessment of the Texans' RB situation below:

Paul Kuharsky
Texans hope Tate can step up

"The starting running back situation for the Texans will be fluid. For the start of camp they'll look to Arian Foster first. I think we'll see a combo of Steve Slaton, Foster and Ben Tate until someone distinguishes himself. Ultimately, they'd like Tate to lead and Slaton to be third-down type, I believe."

Link

Here ya go...

Slaton fighting for carries

UPDATE: Jordan Godwin of the Houston Chronicle writes that Houston Texans running back Steve Slaton has been looking good so far this offseason, and is poised to bounce back after his sub-par second-year campaign. If he can regain his rookie form, he could steal some of his carries back from Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

---

Frank Tadych of NFL.com writes that Slaton has recovered from his neck injury and will be returning to full-contact mode soon.

Slaton is not expected to have the featured RB role in the Texans' offense, as Foster seized the reins of the starting running back position in Slaton's absence last year and again during the offseason. Also, rookie Tate has entered the mix, and is in the mix to be the "bellcow" lead back as well.

Rather, it's expected that Slaton will be the third-down back, and he'll have opportunities to make an impact in the aerial attack as well. ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky checks in with his assessment of the Texans' RB situation below:

Paul Kuharsky
Texans hope Tate can step up

"The starting running back situation for the Texans will be fluid. For the start of camp they'll look to Arian Foster first. I think we'll see a combo of Steve Slaton, Foster and Ben Tate until someone distinguishes himself. Ultimately, they'd like Tate to lead and Slaton to be third-down type, I believe."

Link

this guy has no facts! that being said we got to wait and see but yes I believe that this could happen

But Fosters emergence as the early leader in this group shouldn't be surprising because like Tate last year Foster was one of the leading running backs in the SEC when he was in college, right, he just had a subpar senior year because of injury ?

From HoustonTexans.com on RB Chris Henry:

Daily Wrap: Training camp Day 3

Running back Chris Henry (5-11, 234) has been one of the surprises of camp after three days and six practices. The former University of Arizona star, a second-round pick of the Tennessee Titans in 2007, spent most of last season on the Texans' practice squad.

"You don't want to put too much on a player this early (in camp), but he's been a very bright spot by seeing how hard he goes, and he's doing a great job for (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano)," Kubiak said. "I think our players are impressed with him. I think that's the most important thing. He'll get a good chance, so let's see how he does."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6240

So, it looks like there are actually four serious contenders in the mix at the RB position.

been high on him since he was at tennessee. my depth chart would be foster, slaton & tate...only b/c tate's a rook & i wouldn't want to see him get schaub killed in pass protection this yr. In 2011, he'd be my 2nd guy though behind foster & i'd let slaton settle into his 3rd down back role.

This point has been made before, but let me make it again. It certainly is a nice change to have all this talent at the RB position. So far, on paper at least, our offense is looking to be better than even last year.

This point has been made before, but let me make it again. It certainly is a nice change to have all this talent at the RB position. So far, on paper at least, our offense is looking to be better than even last year.

This.

It's nice to have people actually fighting for a spot on this roster. We aren't just a bunch of scrubs anymore.

:fans:

He will have to actually show something in a game situation for that to ever happen.

This is what I've heard the knock on Henry was. Always looks good in practice, can't translate it to gameday on the field when given time. That was of course when he was in Tennessee though.

Slaton is dangerous as a 3rd down back. He can block, catch, and his acceleration is only matched by Chris Johnson. A defensive coordinator has good reason to fear him as a checkdown option for a QB. His first TD in the Bengals game last year is a good example.

There may be a problem with how the fused vertebra in his neck could affect his ability to turn his head and catch a pass, but the odds of this are small.

Slaton is dangerous as a 3rd down back. He can block, catch, and his acceleration is only matched by Chris Johnson. A defensive coordinator has good reason to fear him as a checkdown option for a QB. His first TD in the Bengals game last year is a good example.

There may be a problem with how the fused vertebra in his neck could affect his ability to turn his head and catch a pass, but the odds of this are small.

I'd rather see Holiday in there for a true burst of speed on 3rd down out of the backfield IMHO.

A third down back needs to be able to block a team's best pass rushers, which Slaton can do. Holiday, not so much.

No he needs to be able to understand blitz packages and what his assignment would be on a shift, nothing else. Schaub should be able to dump the ball off quicker this year and speed up on his progression instead of taking the sack.

I'd rather see Holiday in there for a true burst of speed on 3rd down out of the backfield IMHO.

If it were me drawing up these schemes, I would bring Holliday split wide as a reciever. Then motion Slaton out wide to the other side, motion Holliday into the backfield.

If we catch the other team in man, that should take a LB out of the box.

Jerome Solomon weighs in:

Running backs worth watching at Texans camp

Watching how the running backs work in practice, and especially when those practice games start could be the most interesting viewing of the Texans' preseason.

I like the kid, but if Arian Foster is the Texans' top back this season, the running game is not likely to be very good. I knew he would make the team as an undrafted free agent last year, and I thought he should have been given an opportunity sooner than he was, but that had a lot to do with the competition and how poorly Chris Brown was playing. I curious as to how much Foster has improved. He looked good in the couple of plays I saw him run on the first day, but again, those don't tell you much. Is he a front-line NFL running back? He thinks so, and he'll certainly have a chance to prove it.

Steve Slaton told me Friday that he is bothered (in a competitive way) about not being No. 1 on the Texans' depth chart at tailback. "I'm always going to feel like I'm the guy, that's a pride factor," Slaton said. That's good to hear, because the last thing you want is a player, particularly the most talented player on the team at a position, one who is returning from a serious injury, to be accepting of a backup role. Whether Slaton can return to form after neck surgery, is a major question. He is confident that he'll be fine, and says he is ready to go. Slaton said his biggest issue with the injury was not being able to get enough sleep because of the troublesome numbness in his arm caused by the pinched nerve in his neck.

As per the standard line that always sounds a little nutty to me, Slaton said he is looking forward to getting hit for the first time, as that is the official start of training camp to him. He probably got tapped hard Sunday, but today he'll get hit. We hope. Hey, it's a rough game. Slaton's return — especially since he is lighter now and should be more of a threat to break runs — and the expected power boost from rookie Ben Tate should give the Texans a solid backfield.

And thus far, Chris Henry has been running better than any back in camp. He's looking to earn a roster spot with his aggressiveness and work on special teams. "I'll tell you it's been impressive," Gary Kubiak said. "You don't want to put too much on a player this early, but he's been a very bright spot by seeing how hard he goes and he's doing a great job for (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano). I think our players are impressed with him. I think that's the most important thing. He'll get a good chance, so let's see how he does."

You can tell Tate is going to be a player. Texans coaches are putting heat on him to get up to speed in a hurry and take care of that thing that is almost an issue for rookies — consistency. "I think he's improving," Kubiak said. "I don't like the fact that he would correct a mistake and come back and do it again after a few plays later. He needs some consistency from that standpoint. That's part of being a pro.

Back