Kubiak: Foster will be tough to unseat at RB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HouSportsWriter, Aug 2, 2010.

1. HouSportsWriter

HouSportsWriter SIAB

2. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

If he can keep the job and produce great. If a guy unseats him, obviously means that guy was better or outproducing him so good there. Don't read too much into this. Not saying Foster won't keep the job or won't start or isn't the leader or isn't looking good, whatever, but it's only the 4th day of camp. From what I hear, all the backs look good. Now that the pads are on, let's see what happens?!

3. HouSportsWriter

HouSportsWriter SIAB

good point

4. pissknocker

pissknocker Veteran

There is an ESPN "insider" article titled "Rumor: In Houston Slatons Star is Fading". If someone here is an insider can you post up the article. I'm being cheap and don't wanna pay teh fee.:redface:

FirstTexansFan likes this.
  5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think it is "shot across the bow" to the vets. We nowhave some competition in this position and Gary is doing the coach thing to push them to success. I'll be surprised if Slaton does not start, although I'd be pleased if gary says at end of TC "Slaton is out 3rd down guy as we drafted him." I'd like to see a tag team with Tate and Foster & Slaton getting a few RB touches and some as a slot receiver. AJ, JJ and Slaton linef up with Tate and Holladay in backfield...of course Schaub would have to plant and throw quickly or run a bootleg.

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Here ya go...

Slaton fighting for carries

UPDATE: Jordan Godwin of the Houston Chronicle writes that Houston Texans running back Steve Slaton has been looking good so far this offseason, and is poised to bounce back after his sub-par second-year campaign. If he can regain his rookie form, he could steal some of his carries back from Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

---

Frank Tadych of NFL.com writes that Slaton has recovered from his neck injury and will be returning to full-contact mode soon.

Slaton is not expected to have the featured RB role in the Texans' offense, as Foster seized the reins of the starting running back position in Slaton's absence last year and again during the offseason. Also, rookie Tate has entered the mix, and is in the mix to be the "bellcow" lead back as well.

Rather, it's expected that Slaton will be the third-down back, and he'll have opportunities to make an impact in the aerial attack as well. ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky checks in with his assessment of the Texans' RB situation below:

Paul Kuharsky
    Texans hope Tate can step up

"The starting running back situation for the Texans will be fluid. For the start of camp they'll look to Arian Foster first. I think we'll see a combo of Steve Slaton, Foster and Ben Tate until someone distinguishes himself. Ultimately, they'd like Tate to lead and Slaton to be third-down type, I believe."

Link

7. HouSportsWriter

HouSportsWriter SIAB

this guy has no facts! that being said we got to wait and see but yes I believe that this could happen

8. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

But Fosters emergence as the early leader in this group shouldn't be surprising because like Tate last year Foster was one of the leading running backs in the SEC when he was in college, right, he just had a subpar senior year because of injury ?

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

From HoustonTexans.com on RB Chris Henry:

So, it looks like there are actually four serious contenders in the mix at the RB position.

10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

been high on him since he was at tennessee. my depth chart would be foster, slaton & tate...only b/c tate's a rook & i wouldn't want to see him get schaub killed in pass protection this yr. In 2011, he'd be my 2nd guy though behind foster & i'd let slaton settle into his 3rd down back role.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

This point has been made before, but let me make it again. It certainly is a nice change to have all this talent at the RB position. So far, on paper at least, our offense is looking to be better than even last year.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Sure would like to get a draft pick for Mr. Henry.

13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

He will have to actually show something in a game situation for that to ever happen.

14. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

This.

It's nice to have people actually fighting for a spot on this roster. We aren't just a bunch of scrubs anymore.

:fans:

15. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Wow, RB seems to be the "New TE".............

16. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

This is what I've heard the knock on Henry was. Always looks good in practice, can't translate it to gameday on the field when given time. That was of course when he was in Tennessee though.

17. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Slaton is dangerous as a 3rd down back. He can block, catch, and his acceleration is only matched by Chris Johnson. A defensive coordinator has good reason to fear him as a checkdown option for a QB. His first TD in the Bengals game last year is a good example.

There may be a problem with how the fused vertebra in his neck could affect his ability to turn his head and catch a pass, but the odds of this are small.

18. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

I'd rather see Holiday in there for a true burst of speed on 3rd down out of the backfield IMHO.

19. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

A third down back needs to be able to block a team's best pass rushers, which Slaton can do. Holiday, not so much.

20. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

No he needs to be able to understand blitz packages and what his assignment would be on a shift, nothing else. Schaub should be able to dump the ball off quicker this year and speed up on his progression instead of taking the sack.