Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kube's high on Taylor?

AT #18 I do not want a long term upside guy. I want a player that I think can start ASAP and definely before game 8.

Weren't Mario and Amobi both? Was just pointing out the history of first rounders under Kubiak. Both have had long term upside.

I'm not one of the people that say we won't go with a RB in the first. Mendenhall from the looks won't make it to us at 18 and while I have nothing against Stewart I just think we'd be better set using a later pick especially with a deep class at RB. Forte should be there in the third, despite what some people might think about him Slaton will be there, Allen Patrick is someone I'd like to see or OSU's Dantrell Savage.

Much as i like Bennett he doesn't have the upside of Cromartie and what's really digging away in my mind is Dunta's health especially since he will be starting the season on PUP(not to mention long term). Want to beat the top teams in the AFC or NFC? We better have 3 good CBs.

Far as OL goes Would be pleased if Willaims is there or maybe we take a flyer on Alberts. Sam Baker has only been pushed back because of a top heavy LT class.

Weren't Mario and Amobi both? Was just pointing out the history of first rounders under Kubiak. Both have had long term upside.

I'm not one of the people that say we won't go with a RB in the first. Mendenhall from the looks won't make it to us at 18 and while I have nothing against Stewart I just think we'd be better set using a later pick especially with a deep class at RB. Forte should be there in the third, despite what some people might think about him Slaton will be there, Allen Patrick is someone I'd like to see or OSU's Dantrell Savage.

Much as i like Bennett he doesn't have the upside of Cromartie and what's really digging away in my mind is Dunta's health especially since he will be starting the season on PUP(not to mention long term). Want to beat the top teams in the AFC or NFC? We better have 3 good CBs.

Far as OL goes Would be pleased if Willaims is there or maybe we take a flyer on Alberts. Sam Baker has only been pushed back because of a top heavy LT class.
Thanks for response. Mario and Okoye both were starters not long term hopefuls. Williams had 4 sacks and played hurt, If not injured could maybe had 6-8. Point is we need LT, CB and RB imo that start and I really don't care what round. I do not want to pass on Cason for example that many say could start day one for Cromartie who starts game 12. I don't want to pass on Stewart and hope that no one drafts Forte before us. I want to fill a need position with the best player available.

Here's my ZBS/RB write up. It's a review for some of you, but maybe it has a few things you might not have thought about:

Houston Texans to Draft Running Back, But Which One?

Bruener will be key in an offense that is determined to run the ball this year. With a healthy Ahman Green and Chris Taylor, the Texans could surprise some teams this season. Those two, coupled with a strong group of wide receivers, should make for a formidable group.

Yup, and with peace in the middle east, maybe my taxes would go down.

If the sun shown at night, it would be bright at midnight.

I'm not sure that there are great reasons to think that Green will be healthy.

And Taylor is a question mark. A hard working question mark but still a question mark.

If Chris Taylor and Ahman Green end up being the plan on what we are depending on to surprise people next year, I am going to smack someone in the face. I share Bruener's optimism for next year, but mostly because I think that the Texans are going to do a lot of things to help the running game next year, and it isn't going to be just depending on that Green and Taylor might be healthy. That is gravy. That ain't the meat.

I expect that there are going to be a ton of guys competing for the running back spot. Whoever they can find that they think might work. And whoever kicks the most ass and survives will be the man. Taylor and Green might not even be the final candidates for that spot.

Thanks for response. Mario and Okoye both were starters not long term hopefuls. Williams had 4 sacks and played hurt, If not injured could maybe had 6-8. Point is we need LT, CB and RB imo that start and I really don't care what round. I do not want to pass on Cason for example that many say could start day one for Cromartie who starts game 12. I don't want to pass on Stewart and hope that no one drafts Forte before us. I want to fill a need position with the best player available.

Let me clarify what i meant by long term upside. Mario has the measureables desired for a dominant DE what he didn't have was the technique and finesse at times the position requires. That can be coached giving he shows the willingness to soak up knowledge and put it to use on Sundays. This year showed a pretty good glimpse of a guy learning and putting it to use.

Amobi has played at the College level for four years and has still yet to grow completely into his body. His senoir year at Louisville showed glimpses of what could be a very disruptive DT. Out of the gates this year he looked very impressive then ran into the proverbial wall.But over the next few years as he grows more into his body and takes the NFL game on speed his upside is killer long term.

Do you now see where i am going with the DRC comparison? You can't coach that kind of athleticism. You are born with it.

Also Mario was a shoe in for starter but I don't think Amobi really was. With the injury history of this team we're pinning a lot on Dunta making it back this year. At some point in our minds much as we hate to think about it Duntas injury was pretty severe what are his chances of coming back being the Dunta we all know? Also add in this is a contract year for him(very bad timing too). Again want to beat elite AFC teams including the top team in our division? Better have three good corners.

IMO, if Taylor stays healthy I truly believe he'll be a large part of our running game. I think it'll also allow us to carry 3-4 RB's on the roster and force Cook off. Taylor could also be utilized as a FB if needed. IIRC, Kubiak was giving him some practice time at FB during camp last season.

Be easy, I'm just thinking aloud here. :)

IMO, if Taylor stays healthy I truly believe he'll be a large part of our running game. I think it'll also allow us to carry 3-4 RB's on the roster and force Cook off. Taylor could also be utilized as a FB if needed. IIRC, Kubiak was giving him some practice time at FB during camp last season.

I would like to see Vonta Leach'es role expand & become more of the offense, think that pushes Cook off more than anything.

Hou-Tex I really hope you are correct. But that is all you are doing, hoping. We have almost nothing to base Taylor being an integral part of team. That is no ones fault, simply the fact. Too often as fans, we project what we wantto happen into what must happen.

I doubt Taylor can be much of a factor early on this year. I have yet to see a running back come back from a serious knee injury the following year with much success. I don't doubt his desire and I liked his explosiveness, especially when compared to RB's like Dayne.

RB in round 3 or 4.

I doubt Taylor can be much of a factor early on this year. I have yet to see a running back come back from a serious knee injury the following year with much success. I don't doubt his desire and I liked his explosiveness, especially when compared to RB's like Dayne.

IIRC, an ACL takes approximately 9 months to fully heal. He'll have more than a years worth of healing when 08 begins.

RB in round 3 or 4

I can agree with that. Although, I think it'll be in the 4 or later rounds. OL and CB will be in rounds 1 and 3.:cool:

12 for LT starter or 8 for Rb starter is a stretch but not out of question. Point is OL should last longer USUALLY than RB. IMO there will be no "shut down CB" at #18 or later. That's why I go with Mendenhall or Stewart if Williams not avail. I think Lance Zerline said same thing on his thread recently.

There are some potential playmakers though. DRC and McKelvin(if he lasts) are ballhawks. If we do draft a rb in the first, I pray to all that is holy that its Stewert. Mendenhal scares me alot. He had one year in a weak confrence. Any but him.

Back