Kube's high on Taylor?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Errant Hothy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Or is McClain smoking the crack rock again?

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/03/im_excited_about_texans_rbs_fi_1.html

2. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Dude don't take the bait this is a complete smoke screen for the other teams to bite on. It's obvious the Texans are going to draft a running back really high because they haven't done anything in free agency to at least address the position. IMO the texans are poised to draft a running back in round 1 which one we don't know but all of moves are pointing in that direction.

3. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Hearing what exactly and from whom?

I to can write a bunch of speculative crap without saying any real details. :user:

GP likes this.
  4. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Any reason they can find not to use their #18 pick on a running back is fine
    with me. Hey, I'd rather see them draft another DLineman than a back.
    "Backs are a dime a dozen".
    But I'm also a Chris Taylor fan and I'm glad to hear he's his recovery/rehab from the knee has been a success and Kubiak & Co have positive vibes about him. I assume this includes Gibbs ?

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

AGREED

I can speculate better than Johnny Hollywood.
    We have the same sources (THE INTERNET).

Where's Anna-Meagan?

6. 281

281 Hall of Fame

i know we're going to draft a back sometime in the draft, but if we pass up on mendenhall at #18... i'll be sad.

7. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

8. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

I'm with you on this if he is one of the best lets grab him and move on I hate falling into the value talk we need a stud running back to take pressure off the qb.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, we don't have a 2nd round pick.

Second, Taylor has been in the league for two seasons. In his first season, he worked his way on to the team as an undrafted free agent, into the active roster, and rushed for 100 yards in his last game as a rookie- his only start.

Last year he tore his ACL and missed the season.

Perhaps your perspective is a little harsh?

10. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I don't think he'll be there at 18 but one year wonders make me nervous.

I think we'd find better value later in the draft for a RB. I think The Reeves signing and re-signing Demps made secondary a bit easier but I think it's very possible with the situation we could take DRC not looking to start him right away.

I'd be sad if Chris Williams makes it there to 18 and we pass him up.

11. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I like Chris Taylor and think he could be a good player but I'm certainly not going to take John McClain's word for anything.

b0ng likes this.
  12. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

I don't care who we have at RB. I don't care who starts. I don't care who the primary back up is. I don't care if we draft them, sign them, or already have them on the roster.

I don't care as long as they can:

1) Consistently get us 80-100 ypg.
    2) Pick up the blitz
    3) Not fumble
    4) Not tiptoe at the LOS
    5) Not cause any career ending injuries to our O-line
    6) Break an occasional long run
    7) Force the opposing D to at least contemplate the possibility that we may run and do so for positive yards.

Is that too much to ask for?

13. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i'm also super high on Taylor but I have to agree that he's shown little to us as fans. The coaches have seen alot more from him than we have and I trust in their personnel decisions. I'd love to see us loaded at RB and trade some away next year or in the draft but I'd also love to see our Defense solidified and feared. Our offense was already doing pretty well. Taylor may be "great" but he may also be "good enough" or at least he and Green and Walker may be "good enough".

DaleMurphy, call me about season tickets....

14. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

Kubaik has always been high on Taylor. Note that his keyword for a player he likes is "special." Like, 'He has a chance to be a really "special" player in this league." So if you hear Kub say "special" about a player, he likes likes him!

15. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

It shouldn't be a surprise that the team is high on Taylor, they were high on him last year before he broke down.

If he is fully recovered he will be a piece to the running back puzzle but I'm not going to assume that he is the answer by himself, then again who could have imagined Ryan Grant would of had the season he had last year.

The thing with Running Backs is that there are a lot of factors that can fall into place to make them good such as scheme, blocking, fit for the system, injuries or strength of the passing game. I trust our running game will be better this year because I trust the aforementioned things will be better this year because of our coaching staff/front office. Be it Taylor, Green, Walker, or player to be named, we will be better this year than last.

16. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

YA BOY, Pass that Taylor blunt this way......

I love this guy as well, I think he and walker can do some real damage behind the new look O line....

17. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Think about this...

After next season (or this season) Dayne leaves through FA and they release Ahman Green. 1st round goes towards OL or CB and they get a really solid RB in the 3rd (or 4th) Round this draft.

Gibbs and Kubiak find some quality guys that fit their system and the OL starts to improve and get better. They "gel" during the '08 season and going into '09 we finally have a viable Center that emerged during the season and competition all along the line weeded out who is going to be the starters in Gibbs OL.

So to recap: Going into the 2009 Season we have (1) A much improved Offensive Line that has spend the previous season playing together and learning the system and (2) A (running) backfield of Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, and the '08 Rookie' draft pick say a Matt Forte, Ray Rice, or Kevin Smith type of back.

Assuming that this would all be effective, and I think there is a great chance of that... do you realize how inexpensive our backfield would cost!!?? It'd probably be the cheapest in the league. That's a lot of bang for your buck.

On top of that but we're able to spend other draft picks to fix up the OL, improve the secondary, and defense as a whole. Going into 2009 season, Mario, Amobi, Travis Johnson all have played together more and are maturing, Demeco Ryans is still just as solid as ever + maybe an emergence of a solid OLB, Dunta Robinson should be completely healed (crosses fingers), Fred Bennett continues to grow and improve, Reeves proves to be a solid nickle back?? CC Brown + Glenn Earl as SS's, Demps as FS and possibly a 1st round CB in the '08 draft? Our defense would develop into a KILLER D.

18. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

Nice.....(looks up and to the right while thinking of this idea.....smiles:))

19. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I'm just surprised he got around to writing about sports and put his Anna Megan obsession aside for 5 minutes.

Remember, this is the same McCain that once said the Texans were going to draft VY. I really think one of his "sources" is a magic 8-ball.

20. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

If by "really high" you mean first round, I would call that far from obvious. If you mean 3rd round, I'd call that not "really high". If by really high you're talking about McClain - well, maybe.