Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kareem Jackson CB Alabama - 1st round pick

I played in a basketball tournament on that campus the Winter of 88. I believe Testaverde went there or one of the Miami QBs

wow, small world. I wouldnt have thought most people had even heard of fuma. Its just ~10 miles away from where I live. We did our dog training in fork union

This just in:

His nickname is Coco (from the article posted)

I wonder if this is his jersey...
koko_00_tshirt-p235447550321554922263w5_400.jpg

(First one who gets the reference gets a rep!)

I'll play.

Knockout?

I'll play.

Knockout?

hehe, nope.

I don't want to derail the thread, so I'l just fill it in :)

It was an episode of Seinfeld, where they gave George the nickname Coco. So he hired a maid named Coco so there couldn't be two cocos. Classic seinfeld.

I wonder why Jackson got the nickname?

hehe, nope.

I don't want to derail the thread, so I'l just fill it in :)

It was an episode of Seinfeld, where they gave George the nickname Coco. So he hired a maid named Coco so there couldn't be two cocos. Classic seinfeld.

I wonder why Jackson got the nickname?

Haha that is exactly what I thought of when i heard that nickname too

So did anyone have Kareem Jackson as our pick from the boards? I try to always acknowledge that individual by becoming their #1 fan :)

My buddy nailed it earlier this week. He was doing a mock for another site and called me to ask who I thought my Texans were gonna take at 20 and I told him to eschew Mathews for a CB. I was sure it would be McCourty. Then he told me, "I dunno man, that Kareem Jackson guy is really good. He's gonna go in the first round and I think ya'll will take him."

I just found this and thought it was interesting to see someone's opinion who had seen Jackson up close for 3 years.

LINK

Alabama CB Kareem Jackson was selected #20 overall by the Houston Texans in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft. Below you will find my immediate breakdown on the fit and my pre-draft profile on Kareem Jackson.

Vince’s View Immediate Breakdown
This is an outstanding spot for Kareem Jackson to land at. Cornerback was the biggest need for the Texans and Jackson is NFL ready. The only question was whether the Texans would take Boise State CB Kyle Wilson instead. Talk of Wilson out of Houston leading up to the draft may have been a smokescreen that worked to land the Alabama cornerback.

This is an exciting destination for Tide fans and Kareem Jackson. Kareem will be reunited with former University of Alabama Crimson Tide teammate Antoine Caldwell and previous Tide star DeMeco Ryans.

Jackson’s style, coverage versatility and tremendous tackling ability match the Texans aggressive style perfectly.

Kareem will have a great chance to start right away for the Texans. In fact, given the cornerbacks on the current roster (Jacques Reeves, Fred Bennett, Antwaun Molden, Mark Parsons, Glover Quin and Brice McCain) I’d be stunned if he wasn’t starting the first preseason game and beyond. I like this match better than Rolando McClain to the Raiders at #8 overall.

Kareem Jackson and the Houston Texans open the regular season Sunday, September 12 at 1pm ET at home vs. Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts.

Kareem Jackson’s Profile
Jr. CB (5’10 ½, 196 lbs – Macon, GA)

Accomplishments
2nd-team Freshman All-American in 2007. Recorded many weekly player of the week honors from numerous media outlets and the coaching staff in his three years as a starter at cornerback. He also played running back in high school.

2009 stats
49 tackles
3 TFL
1 INT
13 PBUs

Career stats
40 starts
159 tackles
8 TFL
5 INTs
29 PBUs

Impact on Alabama Football
Along with fellow starting cornerback Javier Arenas, helped bring a swagger to the Alabama program that Nick Saban wanted. He allowed the coaching staff to implement more and more complex coverages because of his ability to digest the information, process it and execute it. He brought great stability and toughness to a critical position. Defensive backs work with Nick Saban every day in practice. He set the tone for mental toughness and embracing the championship coaching he was receiving. He positively affected his teammates.

Skills
He’s a combination of good size, strength, competitiveness and intelligence wrapped into one. On top of that, the coaching he received from one of the great coaches in college football with an NFL style of coaching is second to none. Saban works with the DBs continuously. Kareem understands what his eyes see and trusts his recognition. He knows splits, motions and route-combinations of the offense. He can make quick adjustments to formations. He’s a physical cornerback that plays well near the line of scrimmage. He can play press, off coverage, zone, man-to-man and combo coverages, so he is very versatile. He’s strong and has great ball skills, which is important to play under Nick Saban. He’s a very good tackler who will gladly come-up and support the run game effectively.

Imperfections
From time to time, Kareem did get beat over the top, down the sideline when he didn’t get his hands on and jam the receiver off his route. Everyone gets beat some and Kareem like all the great ones has a short memory. No off the field concerns. Very solid.

His Game In The NFL
The phrase that best summarizes all of Jackson’s skills is “NFL ready.” That’s extremely accurate in describing Jackson. He will have a chance to start immediately. He will at least be able to jump in at nickel corner initially.

wow, small world. I wouldnt have thought most people had even heard of fuma. Its just ~10 miles away from where I live. We did our dog training in fork union

Yeah, playing in front of all of the students in their military uniform created a pretty strong home court advantage.

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Interesting to see it appears that he'll be locker mates with Brice McCain and Dominique Barber. I seem to remember the Texans sticking their new 1st rounders next to influential veteran team leaders.

Scott Wright's analysis on the pick:

- With Freno State’s Ryan Mathews off the board there was no doubt that this would be a corner. Many felt that Boise State’s Kyle Wilson would be the Texans guy but Kareem Jackson makes a lot of sense. It may surprise some to see Jackson selected this early but rest-assured he is a legitimate first round value. Similar in many ways to Dunta Robinson, Jackson is a big, physical cover guy who will fit in nicely in Houston’s secondary. In fact, there is no reason why he shouldn’t be penciled into the starting lineup immediately.

/\ PERFECT! So, when he get's his first pick 6, everyone in the stadium can do the Carlton! Maybe play some Tom Jones over the speakers!

After he picks one off and returns it for a TD I wouldn't mind seeing him do the Carlton dance. We don't have enough dancers on the team...Dre will never dance...he just likes to jump in the stands to showoff his 41" vertical leap.

Jackson and Wilson will be linked from here on out. Lots of folks are claiming the Jets got a steal when the best cover corner dropped to them. As with all drafts....time will tell. Jackson is certainly bigger and more physical, but with the illegal contact rules, physical corners who bump and jostle the receivers are less valuable.

I'm hoping for the best with this kid.

Go Texans

Jackson and Wilson will be linked from here on out. Lots of folks are claiming the Jets got a steal when the best cover corner dropped to them. As with all drafts....time will tell. Jackson is certainly bigger and more physical, but with the illegal contact rules, physical corners who bump and jostle the receivers are less valuable.

Go Texans

While you're probably on to something about being physical isn't much of an advantage any more in coverage, it sure is a big asset in run support. And the last time I looked, two of the three teams in our division - Tennessee & J-ville - make their living running the football.

I think he'll make a fine D-Rob replacement unit.

Go Texans

I actually don`t know much about the two, but I´ve read quite a few things about them. And most people describe Jackson as the better cover corner (perhaps the best of the draft), and Wilson as the one that is better at jamming the receiver at the LOS and plays better in zones.

I´m pretty sure we got the right guy for us. Being pro ready is really important for this team, that still lacks a #1 corner. The jets can let him play nickel and learn behind Revis and Cromartie.

I actually don`t know much about the two, but I´ve read quite a few things about them. And most people describe Jackson as the better cover corner (perhaps the best of the draft), and Wilson as the one that is better at jamming the receiver at the LOS and plays better in zones.

I´m pretty sure we got the right guy for us. Being pro ready is really important for this team, that still lacks a #1 corner. The jets can let him play nickel and learn behind Revis and Cromartie.

The Pats passed on Wilson for a CB also .

The Pats passed on Wilson for a CB also .

I noticed that on draft day. And I find it interesting that no one else - that I've seen - on this board mentioned that Wilson was the third of this CB trio that got drafted. If Wilson was all that, why didn't the Pats grab him??

I noticed that on draft day. And I find it interesting that no one else - that I've seen - on this board mentioned that Wilson was the third of this CB trio that got drafted. If Wilson was all that, why didn't the Pats grab him??

People talk about Chargers stealing Mathews from us.

But I think we stole Jackson from a couple of teams. What might be going on here is the massive hard-on everyone outside of Houston has for the Jets--Because Kyle Wilson went to the Jets, they got the better CB (It was AMAZING that the Jets were soooo fortunate to get Kyle Wilson, right?).

Or maybe we got the better of the remaining CBs, at least as they were ranked in the eyes of the coaches and GMs. It's funny how we had Mathews stolen from us, according to the Jets blue-ballers out there, yet we didn't sweep Jackson out from underneath the Jets or Patriots.

LOL. This is nothing more than draft jealousy, IMO. We got the Defensive Rookie of the Year in last year's draft. And they don't want to concede another year of us possibly making a great pick at our draft slot.

The nation-wide talking points memo is this: The Jets are already Super Bowl champs...it just hasn't happened yet. Anything they do is going to be lauded as being another stroke of genius just waiting to reveal itself on gameday.

(sigh)

Favre better hurry up and do something, or he's going to lose media attention forever. To the Jets. Maybe he could come BACK to the Jets? :thinking:

People talk about Chargers stealing Mathews from us.

But I think we stole Jackson from a couple of teams. What might be going on here is the massive hard-on everyone outside of Houston has for the Jets--Because Kyle Wilson went to the Jets, they got the better CB (It was AMAZING that the Jets were soooo fortunate to get Kyle Wilson, right?).

Or maybe we got the better of the remaining CBs, at least as they were ranked in the eyes of the coaches and GMs. It's funny how we had Mathews stolen from us, according to the Jets blue-ballers out there, yet we didn't sweep Jackson out from underneath the Jets or Patriots.

LOL. This is nothing more than draft jealousy, IMO. We got the Defensive Rookie of the Year in last year's draft. And they don't want to concede another year of us possibly making a great pick at our draft slot.

The nation-wide talking points memo is this: The Jets are already Super Bowl champs...it just hasn't happened yet. Anything they do is going to be lauded as being another stroke of genius just waiting to reveal itself on gameday.

(sigh)

Favre better hurry up and do something, or he's going to lose media attention forever. To the Jets. Maybe he could come BACK to the Jets? :thinking:

To me , Matthews and Tate were pretty much the same player . If that's the case then they way overpaid , besides I'll take the guy from the better conference .

I´m glad we didn`t take Matthews and got ourself a true #1CB! And Tate is a great HB to snatch at the very end of the 2nd round. He will help us out a lot!

But it will be very interesting to watch this years Hard Knocks and take a good lock at Wilson...

Congrats on getting the best pure-cover corner in the draft! He's also the type of corner that would be glad, no, excited to throw his entire body into Christian Okye with a full head of steam just to stop him from getting half a yard.

He does, however, need to work on wrapping up during the tackle. But, at least he's no Deshea Townsend in that regard.

I stopped caring about the NFL back when it stopped being....well, good. (1997, 1998?) I pay attention during the playoffs & draft always, but it looks like I'm back to having a full-time NFL favorite. The Houston Texans. The Ravens are pretty cool too.

Also, noticed someone referred to Nick Saban as "scum" or something like that....can anyone clue me into why anyone would think that about him?? So far, the only proven thing he did that would possibly make him scum worthy was making an NFL rookie cry. If I'm not mistaken, LOTS of coaches have done that to a football player. Of course there are lots of rumors & a massive amount of misinformation about him, but nothing that anyone can provide even the slightest bit of evidence for, much less prove.

Anyhow....Roll Tide & Go Texans!

Congrats on getting the best pure-cover corner in the draft! He's also the type of corner that would be glad, no, excited to throw his entire body into Christian Okye with a full head of steam just to stop him from getting half a yard.

He does, however, need to work on wrapping up during the tackle. But, at least he's no Deshea Townsend in that regard.

I stopped caring about the NFL back when it stopped being....well, good. (1997, 1998?) I pay attention during the playoffs & draft always, but it looks like I'm back to having a full-time NFL favorite. The Houston Texans. The Ravens are pretty cool too.

Also, noticed someone referred to Nick Saban as "scum" or something like that....can anyone clue me into why anyone would think that about him?? So far, the only proven thing he did that would possibly make him scum worthy was making an NFL rookie cry. If I'm not mistaken, LOTS of coaches have done that to a football player. Of course there are lots of rumors & a massive amount of misinformation about him, but nothing that anyone can provide even the slightest bit of evidence for, much less prove.

Anyhow....Roll Tide & Go Texans!

Welcome aboard! I think we got a terrific cb in Jackson. As far as Saban goes, wasn't there a massive failure at the NFL level? And something about loyalty when he was at LSU? Don't know for sure, but I always thought him a bit weasly myself.

Welcome aboard! I think we got a terrific cb in Jackson. As far as Saban goes, wasn't there a massive failure at the NFL level? And something about loyalty when he was at LSU? Don't know for sure, but I always thought him a bit weasly myself.

Oh, failure of epic proportions......but how does that make him scum?? Or even a "bad person"???

Loyalty....leaving LSU??? Okay, that's fine.....but uh, wouldn't that make every HC in football history scum?? I'm fairly certain Nick Saban was not the first HC to leave his job for a raise & a promotion (as far as league is concerned it was a promotion even though both positions were as a HC). No one at LSU, fans or administration, was upset with him for going to the NFL, so I don't see how anyone else could be. No one involved with the Dolphins had a problem with him leaving to go to Alabama. So of the fans did.....why I can't imagine. (Do they enjoy winning 7 or 8 games a season in Miami??) So I don't see how anyone else could be.* (*LSU fans sure were, but not because they thought it wrong to quit the Dolphins, but because they knew damn well what would happen once he got settled in at Alabama)

My favorite is when people try to insinuate that CNS is one of the dumbest human beings on the planet by saying that he thinks that 4 million dollars is more than 5 million.
"Nick Saban only went to Alabama for the money! All he cares about is money!!!"
Yes, people are actually dumb enough to say that a man making 5 million dollars a year quit that job to take another one making 4 million dollars a year.....because he wanted "more" money. Utterly brilliant.

And before anyone calls Homer on me.....I don't even own a pair of Crimson glasses, much less would I ever wear them if I did. I hate those type of Alabama "fans". Bammers, as we call them.

While you're probably on to something about being physical isn't much of an advantage any more in coverage, it sure is a big asset in run support. And the last time I looked, two of the three teams in our division - Tennessee & J-ville - make their living running the football.

I think he'll make a fine D-Rob replacement unit.

Still, a physical corner in this division is very valuable. One of the things that makes Nnamdi Asomugha one of the best in the league is his ability to be physical on the line. When we play in a division like the Colts, making those receivers work in that first 5 yards is going to be the difference between our success and failure.

I bet our sack numbers jump tremendously even though we haven't changed our starting DL.

Outside the five yards... when was the last time a Corner was praised for being physical beyond five yards?

I'd like to hear the differences and similarities between Dunta when we drafted him back in 2004 and Kareem now. I think Dunta was more a physical hitter and Kareem sounds like a more technically sound CB. Does Kareem have more upside or did Saban tap as much talent as he could out of Kareem?

I'd like to hear the differences and similarities between Dunta when we drafted him back in 2004 and Kareem now. I think Dunta was more a physical hitter and Kareem sounds like a more technically sound CB. Does Kareem have more upside or did Saban tap as much talent as he could out of Kareem?

Despite the fact that he was drafted in the first round, I agree with CNS's assessment that KJ should have returned for his Senior year. That being said, KJ is about as NFL-ready as any rookie can be. If I had to predict KJ's career, I don't think he'll be Mr. Superstar CB (Prime Time), but I think he'll make just about every QB decided to throw the football elsewhere. As far as run support, he'll make sure his body is an obstacle the runner has to get through, but he really needs to put in some work on refining his wrapping up technique.

After you get to this level, for a CB, it's about using your head. If he's a student of the game, and has the work ethic they say he has, there is no ceiling.

Oh, failure of epic proportions......but how does that make him scum?? Or even a "bad person"???

Loyalty....leaving LSU??? Okay, that's fine.....but uh, wouldn't that make every HC in football history scum?? I'm fairly certain Nick Saban was not the first HC to leave his job for a raise & a promotion (as far as league is concerned it was a promotion even though both positions were as a HC). No one at LSU, fans or administration, was upset with him for going to the NFL, so I don't see how anyone else could be. No one involved with the Dolphins had a problem with him leaving to go to Alabama. So of the fans did.....why I can't imagine. (Do they enjoy winning 7 or 8 games a season in Miami??) So I don't see how anyone else could be.* (*LSU fans sure were, but not because they thought it wrong to quit the Dolphins, but because they knew damn well what would happen once he got settled in at Alabama)

My favorite is when people try to insinuate that CNS is one of the dumbest human beings on the planet by saying that he thinks that 4 million dollars is more than 5 million.
"Nick Saban only went to Alabama for the money! All he cares about is money!!!"
Yes, people are actually dumb enough to say that a man making 5 million dollars a year quit that job to take another one making 4 million dollars a year.....because he wanted "more" money. Utterly brilliant.

And before anyone calls Homer on me.....I don't even own a pair of Crimson glasses, much less would I ever wear them if I did. I hate those type of Alabama "fans". Bammers, as we call them.

Dude you really need to get over yourself. I was asking questions. I never caled Saban scum. I just don't like him myself. My perogative. I really don't give a **** about the liitle slime ball. I think he is a great coach that has the personality of a weasel. JMO. You don't agree that is fine, I don'tcare. i don't care about Nick Saban or Alabama at all.

Back