Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jim Harbaugh

panamamyers

Waterboy
This guy has got to be the choice if we get a new coach right?

Took a 1-11 Stanford team...
Went 4-8 the first year
5-8 the second year
8-5 last year
Sitting at 9-1 right now with the #6 ranked team in the nation.

I know college results don't always translate to NFL success....but you would have to believe the odds are in Harbaugh's favor taking everything into account.

This guy has got to be the choice if we get a new coach right?

Took a 1-11 Stanford team...
Went 4-8 the first year
5-8 the second year
8-5 last year
Sitting at 9-1 right now with the #6 ranked team in the nation.

I know college results don't always translate to NFL success....but you would have to believe the odds are in Harbaugh's favor taking everything into account.

College results very seldom translate to NFL success.

Signed,

Steve Spurrier
Nick Saban
Bobby Petrino

He's on my list in the suggestions for a new head coach thread and though I think he might be a good head coach in the NFL someday, I want someone with NFL experience. I like Cowher, Gruden, and Frazier at the top of my list.

Jim has a couple of seasons of NFL coaching experience.

John Harbaugh had never been a coordinator before being hired as head coach in Baltimore.

Mike Tomlin only had one year of coordinator experience before being hired as head coach of the Steelers.

Andy Reid was never a coordinator at the NFL level.

Jim Caldwell was never a coordinator.

Tom Cable was never a coordinator.

Tom Coughlin was never a coordinator.

I would almost go so far as to say you would be better off to hire someone that has not been a coordinator.
At the very least there is little correlation between having been a coordinator and being a good head coach.

John Harbaugh had never been a coordinator before being hired as head coach in Baltimore.

Mike Tomlin only had one year of coordinator experience before being hired as head coach of the Steelers.

I would almost go so far as to say you would be better off to hire someone that has not been a coordinator.
At the very least there is little correlation between having been a coordinator and being a good head coach.

Jim Harbaugh has also turned down interviews for the last couple of years. He is happy where he is.

Signed,

Steve Spurrier
Nick Saban
Bobby Petrino

What you talkin bout willis? We always have a punchers chance right? I mean if you dont succeed the first time, you can always try again right?

Sincerely,

Pete Carroll

As long as you get an experienced GM in it could be ok. And as long as you hire coordinators with experience. Everyone on staff can't be learning as they go.

Signed,

Steve Spurrier
Nick Saban
Bobby Petrino

In all fairness and reality though....

Petrino left like a Tool little ***** after like week 6 or something.

Saban was Gonzo by choice after like a season max.

Neither of these guys gave it a legit chance.

Spurrier though.... :kubepalm:

Jimmy Johnson had success.

College coach = no.

I really like Jim Harbaugh as a prospective NFL coach. However, if we were fire Kubiak this year, the intent is to bring a coach in to win immediately. Perhaps he could. However, IMO, the biggest issue with a college coach is his ability to put together a quality NFL coaching staff for year one and be ready to win. If he can do that, I would be very interested.

Ah man, going out and getting any college coach at this point might make me just jump of this ship completely. Talk about a total gamble. College football is a totally different game and the Texans can't afford to get it wrong again. They have to go after a proven HC with a good pedigree next. They simply have to. If it goes South for several years again, at least you could say that Bob went after a proven guy. Way to many college HC's that fail for me to be okay with that.

At this point our choices should be Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren (If he'll coach again), John Fox, Rob Ryan, or Brian Shottenheimer as a last choice.

That's a great line of choices to pick from.

Wow, I thought were BS'n so bad had to look for myself, unbelievable...

As long as you get an experienced GM in it could be ok. And as long as you hire coordinators with experience. Everyone on staff can't be learning as they go.

This.

I think his skill set would translate to the pros. He comes from a coaching family and he's played and been an assistant in the NFL.

Nothing concrete to base it on, but I think this guy will be a success as a NFL coach. Love the killer instinct.

He's on my short list with Brian Schottenheimer.

Either you know how to coach football or you don't....

Jim Harbuagh is an exceptional coach. He's not a Steve Spurrier type college coach. Go watch Stanford play. They run all pro-style schemes.

For all of the examples of college coaches that failed in the NFL, I can give you just as many examples of college coaches that did great in the NFL. I can also give you just as many examples of NFL coordinators that became head coaches and were crappy head coaches. Romeo Crennel, Gary Kubiak, Wade Phillips, Marty Mornihnweg..........the list goes on and on.

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh were two excellent examples of college head coaches that were wildly successful in the NFL.

The fact that someone is coming from college or an NFL coordinator position is a complete non-sequitur.

Inheriting a star QB has a way of making anyone look good. Any coach can look good with good players. Let's just use Brian Billick as an example. When he had Randy Moss and that awesome Vikings OL, he looked like a great offensive coach. Then he went to BAL as a HC, had great players on defense, and won a SB like that. Now he's out of a job. A lot of the guys he drafted didn't pan out.

I'm not saying Harbaugh will or won't be a good HC, but I'd like to see what he does without Luck. Unless, of course, we get him and Luck in a package deal. :drool:

Ah man, going out and getting any college coach at this point might make me just jump of this ship completely. Talk about a total gamble. College football is a totally different game and the Texans can't afford to get it wrong again. They have to go after a proven HC with a good pedigree next. They simply have to. If it goes South for several years again, at least you could say that Bob went after a proven guy. Way to many college HC's that fail for me to be okay with that.

At this point our choices should be Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren (If he'll coach again), John Fox, Rob Ryan, or Brian Shottenheimer as a last choice.

That's a great line of choices to pick from.

I don't like Brian Schottenheimer as HC. I like him, but not as HC. I would take him as OC with Marty being the HC, but no way do we give an underperforming OC a chance here. If we are going the route of choosing someone without head coaching experience, he better have a defensive background.

For me here is my order of preference, and Jim isn't a bad choice as an NFL head coach, I just don't know if he has enough NFL experience for my taste. Even John Harbaugh had some NFL coaching experience before Ozzie gave him the gig.

Jimmy Johnson (pipe dream but its not completely impossible)
Bill Cowher
Mike Holmgren
Jon Gruden
Rob Ryan
John Fox
Marty Schottenheimer
then Jim Harbaugh or Leslie Frazier (he is Vikes HC in a week or two)

I think Jim is going to make a fine head coach, but we need someone with a proven track record after the failure that is the Kubiak era. Plus we need someone to come in with a decent group of assistants. Kubiak's downfall is that he sucks....I mean SUCKS!!! at hiring good defensive coaching. Proof is in the pudding. Almost 5 years and you have brought in Richard Smith (sucks donkey doodoo) and Frank Bush (sucks even more donkey doodoo *if that is possible)

get these carebear clowns out of here and bring someone in with some damn fire

KUBIAK SUCKS!!

Either you know how to coach football or you don't....

Jim Harbuagh is an exceptional coach. He's not a Steve Spurrier type college coach. Go watch Stanford play. They run all pro-style schemes.

For all of the examples of college coaches that failed in the NFL, I can give you just as many examples of college coaches that did great in the NFL. I can also give you just as many examples of NFL coordinators that became head coaches and were crappy head coaches. Romeo Crennel, Gary Kubiak, Wade Phillips, Marty Mornihnweg..........the list goes on and on.

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh were two excellent examples of college head coaches that were wildly successful in the NFL.

The fact that someone is coming from college or an NFL coordinator position is a complete non-sequitur.

Put the crack pipe down.

For starters, there is a TON of more parity in the NFL than there was even in the mid-90s when Johnson came in. As a result of that parity, the pressure is immense to turn a team around within a few years. It's doable, but you have to have a person with the right skill set to do it.

Second, you simply cannot compare leading/managing college kids to millionare GROWN-ASS MEN. You can't. They are totally different. Just ask Nick Saban. NFL players have to be managed a certain way. College players can be managed by the simple raw-power mode: I am the coach. You are the player. Do what I say.

That doesn't work in the NFL.

Rah-rah, go get em! Doesn't work with NFL players.

If we are going to go with Jim Harbaugh, I would much rather find out what we gotta do to get Kyle Shanahan back as HC.

If we are going to go with Jim Harbaugh, I would much rather find out what we gotta do to get Kyle Shanahan back as HC.

You mean Kyle Shanahan who has very little experience as an NFL coordinator?

No thanks. He called some good plays for us, but there is no evidence that he has the skill set to be a head coach.

Put the crack pipe down.

For starters, there is a TON of more parity in the NFL than there was even in the mid-90s when Johnson came in. As a result of that parity, the pressure is immense to turn a team around within a few years. It's doable, but you have to have a person with the right skill set to do it.

Second, you simply cannot compare leading/managing college kids to millionare GROWN-ASS MEN. You can't. They are totally different. Just ask Nick Saban. NFL players have to be managed a certain way. College players can be managed by the simple raw-power mode: I am the coach. You are the player. Do what I say.

That doesn't work in the NFL.

Rah-rah, go get em! Doesn't work with NFL players.

You are creating some sort of narrow criteria to make it seem like a coordinator is a better hire.
You can coach or you can't coach. It has NOTHING to do with what you have done in your past job history.
If Dungy had been head coach at U of Missouri, then went to head coach at Tampa, he would have had the same success. If Belichick had been head coach at Notre Dame before getting hired as head coach at NE, he would have had the exact same line of success that he has had right now.

You either have it or you don't.

Go watch the way they play. Become familiar with him as a coach before you draw an opinion one way or the other. If you give them equal players he would out-coach the crap out of Kubiak. All day, every day and twice on Sundays.

If the owner really is going to put someone out of the running because he is a college coach, then I need to find a new team. That would be the dumbest, most short-sighted decision I have ever seen.

The Texans need to try to win. They don't need to try to go by the proverbial "book" and hire a coordinator. That has gotten us 9 years of misery so far, so you can take your book and I'll take the good coach.

I think Jim will be the next HC of the Michigan Wolverines. So yall wont have to worry about having a quality head coach.

You are creating some sort of narrow criteria to make it seem like a coordinator is a better hire.
You can coach or you can't coach. It has NOTHING to do with what you have done in your past job history.
If Dungy had been head coach at U of Missouri, then went to head coach at Tampa, he would have had the same success. If Belichick had been head coach at Notre Dame before getting hired as head coach at NE, he would have had the exact same line of success that he has had right now.

Go watch the way they play. Become familiar with him as a coach before you draw an opinion one way or the other. If you give them equal players he would out-coach the crap out of Kubiak. All day, every day and twice on Sundays.

If the owner really is going to put someone out of the running because he is a college coach, then I need to find a new team. That would be the dumbest, most short-sighted decision I have ever seen.

The Texans need to try to win. They don't need to try to go by the proverbial "book" and hire a coordinator. That has gotten us 9 years of misery so far, so you can take your book and I'll take the good coach.

Harbaugh has already declined to inerview for HC jobs in the NFL. What makes you think he would say ok to the Texans?

Did you even read my post?

It has nothing to do with X's and O's. It's quite possible that Harbaugh can draw up a genius game plan for an NFL game.

I was speaking specifically about the skill set of managing and leading MILLIONAiRES. And, yes, that is a very narrow criteria, but it is a very, very, very, very important narrow criteria for an NFL coach.

Sorry, but coaching isn't a plug-and-play job. It's isn't about "either you can coach or you can't." It's like saying you would hangle your infant the same way you would handle your teenager. You wouldn't.

I'm not saying Hargaugh won't get a great NFL coach. But I am saying we should let him learn on the job for another team. Not this one.

No more on-the-job training in Houston.

You mean Kyle Shanahan who has very little experience as an NFL coordinator?

No thanks. He called some good plays for us, but there is no evidence that he has the skill set to be a head coach.

I'm just saying how ridiculous it would be to hire a guy with no NFL coaching experience.

At least Kyle Shanahan has NFL coaching experience going all the way back to when his dad was in Denver.

I'm not saying Harbaugh will or won't be a good HC, but I'd like to see what he does without Luck. Unless, of course, we get him and Luck in a package deal. :drool:

I want this.

Sign Harbaugh, and do what you need to do to get Luck. I would trade Schaub and our first to get him, he will be that good.

Luck is the next Peyton Manning, and I want the Texans to have that weapon.

I want this.

Sign Harbaugh, and do what you need to do to get Luck. I would trade Schaub and our first to get him, he will be that good.

That is a bit silly to say. You know as well as anyone that the draft is a crapshoot. And to 100% say that player A will be the next Peyton Manning is unbelievably risky. Not to mention you want to trade a proven NFL commodity that we have sunk draft high picks, tons of money, and 3 years into.

I want this.

Sorry, but, I'm also tired of the "bring the hometown kid back home" thing. I know Luck has ties to here, but I'm not willing to give up the franchise to get him here.

Pass.

That is a bit silly to say. You know as well as anyone that the draft is a crapshoot. And to 100% say that player A will be the next Peyton Manning is unbelievably risky. Not to mention you want to trade a proven NFL commodity that we have sunk draft high picks, tons of money, and 3 years into.

Yep, the draft is a crapshoot. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. Luck is the best pro ready prospect at QB I have seen. He plays in a pro style offense, in a big time conference, and has pro size. He has top notch arm strength and accuracy, and can move better than the forehead. In my opinion, he will be better than Schaub by the end of the year.

Sorry, but, I'm also tired of the "bring the hometown kid back home" thing. I know Luck has ties to here, but I'm not willing to give up the franchise to get him here.

Pass.

This has nothing to do with "bringing back the hometown kid". I think it is stupid to run a business (because that is what the NFL is) on emotion, on a sort of nostalgia.

And since when is giving up a QB (who has played like **** this year, and is already 29, and will be 30 by the start of next season) and a 1st round pick giving up the franchise? The NY Giants gave up Rivers and a 1st, so essentially 2 firsts to get baby Manning, and they won the Super Bowl a few years later.

A true franchise QB goes a long way to establishing a winning tradition. Luck is worth the risk.

If I were to evaluate a head coach college candidate, I would look more at how he develops players rather than wins/losses.

Did you even read my post?

It has nothing to do with X's and O's. It's quite possible that Harbaugh can draw up a genius game plan for an NFL game.

I was speaking specifically about the skill set of managing and leading MILLIONAiRES. And, yes, that is a very narrow criteria, but it is a very, very, very, very important narrow criteria for an NFL coach.

Sorry, but coaching isn't a plug-and-play job. It's isn't about "either you can coach or you can't." It's like saying you would hangle your infant the same way you would handle your teenager. You wouldn't.

I'm not saying Hargaugh won't get a great NFL coach. But I am saying we should let him learn on the job for another team. Not this one.

No more on-the-job training in Houston.

You're obviously not understanding the gist of what I am saying.
Of course it is a different animal dealing with adults that are getting paid millions. No one is saying that just because someone is successful in college that they will be successful in the NFL.

The point I am making is that someone is either going to be successful in the NFL or they are not. Whether they come from coaching a bunch of Pop Warner kids or from being an offensive coordinator does not matter. They are either destined to be a good NFL head coach or they are not.

Nick Saban is a horrible example either way as he was a defensive coordinator in the NFL long before he was a successful college coach. The fact that he was a coordinator first did not help him any more than the fact that he was a college head coach hurt him. Neither one of the facts has any effect on his ability to be a good head coach.

Chester Pitts became a great college lineman after sacking groceries. Is sacking groceries a prerequisite for being a good lineman? Of course not. Did the fact that he was found sacking groceries immediately preclude him from ever being a good lineman? Nope. He was either going to be good or he wasn't regardless.

If you feel Jim Harbaugh is not destined to be a good head coach in the NFL then that is one thing. If you are hanging your hat on the fact that he is now a college head coach, then that is really foolish and I hope to God that our front office is not making decisions on such surface level criteria.

Hiring a top tier college HC is still a "disaster ridden" idea for the Texans at this stage. When you've had 9 years of fail and embarrassment, you need to go after a proven HC with a good track record. That way at least the fans aren't going to be that upset over your decision to hire that guy typically. It just matters how long you hold onto that guy. We've already held onto Kubiak to long and held onto Capers to long obviously, so you don't just go hiring some wild card college guy that turned around some smaller programs and made contenders out of them.

There are guys like Cowher and Gruden available and even possibly Holmgren who has had a lot of success with two franchises. You don't go hiring some college prospect HC over guys with proven pedigrees like that after the history the Texans have had already with project coaches.

You're ready to hand Harbaugh the Lombardi Trophy after 5 games?

LMAO!!!

I swear, sometimes our fans are clueless as all get out.

Way to stick to your guns I guess...

SF is sitting at 4-1 (should be 5-0 except for the come from behind win by the Cowboys), has beaten a number of good teams, and all this by a group that seemed destined for a 4-12 type season.

I'd say Harbaugh is the #1 candidate for coach of the year atm.

the difference with Harbaugh is he was always an NFL guy he just had to cut his teeth coaching in College first more of exception to the rule. Hell I have no doubt you put him in a Texan uniform down on the five yard line with all that open field in front of him he would have run that thing in himself against da Raiders. Gary on the other hand probably would have done exactly what Matt did, therein lies the problem.

the difference with Harbaugh is he was always an NFL guy he just had to cut his teeth coaching in College first more of exception to the rule. Hell I have no doubt you put him in a Texan uniform down on the five yard line with all that open field in front of him he would have run that thing in himself against da Raiders. Gary on the other hand probably would have done exactly what Matt did, therein lies the problem.

Great post, BL!!! Your last two sentences nail it.

It truly is sad/sickening how alike Matty and Gary are. In the words of the great philosopher Forest Gump, they are just like peas and carrots.

SF is sitting at 4-1 (should be 5-0 except for the come from behind win by the Cowboys), has beaten a number of good teams, and all this by a group that seemed destined for a 4-12 type season.

I was thinking more like 7-9 or 8-8, mostly because of the horrible division they play in.

You cant shoulda woulda wins and losses. The Same could be said for their come from behind win against the Eagles.

You cant shoulda woulda wins and losses. The Same could be said for their come from behind win against the Eagles.
Good point. If SF "should have won" the Dallas game because of the Cowboys' comeback, then it would logically follow that they "should have lost" the Eagles game.

This guy can absolutely coach the s&%* out of some football.
It's amazing how much your head coach can affect the type of team you have.
Harbaugh is a winner.

This guy can absolutely coach the s&%* out of some football.
It's amazing how much your head coach can affect the type of team you have.
Harbaugh is a winner.

josh_mcdaniels.jpg

Back