Jim Harbaugh

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by panamamyers, Nov 15, 2010.

1. panamamyers

panamamyers Veteran

This guy has got to be the choice if we get a new coach right?

Took a 1-11 Stanford team...
    Went 4-8 the first year
    5-8 the second year
    8-5 last year
    Sitting at 9-1 right now with the #6 ranked team in the nation.

I know college results don't always translate to NFL success....but you would have to believe the odds are in Harbaugh's favor taking everything into account.

2. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

College results very seldom translate to NFL success.

Signed,

Steve Spurrier
    Nick Saban
    Bobby Petrino

3. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

College coach = no.

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'd be very cautious with anyone who hadn't been AT LEAST a co-ordinator at NFL level.

5. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

He's on my list in the suggestions for a new head coach thread and though I think he might be a good head coach in the NFL someday, I want someone with NFL experience. I like Cowher, Gruden, and Frazier at the top of my list.

6. panamamyers

panamamyers Veteran

Jim has a couple of seasons of NFL coaching experience.

John Harbaugh had never been a coordinator before being hired as head coach in Baltimore.

Mike Tomlin only had one year of coordinator experience before being hired as head coach of the Steelers.

Andy Reid was never a coordinator at the NFL level.

Jim Caldwell was never a coordinator.

Tom Cable was never a coordinator.

Tom Coughlin was never a coordinator.

I would almost go so far as to say you would be better off to hire someone that has not been a coordinator.
    At the very least there is little correlation between having been a coordinator and being a good head coach.

7. Dwade

Dwade Veteran

Signed, Jimmy Johnson?

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Jim Harbaugh has also turned down interviews for the last couple of years. He is happy where he is.

9. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

What you talkin bout willis? We always have a punchers chance right? I mean if you dont succeed the first time, you can always try again right?

Sincerely,

Pete Carroll

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

As long as you get an experienced GM in it could be ok. And as long as you hire coordinators with experience. Everyone on staff can't be learning as they go.

11. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

So you named one success out of how many tries? Notice the word seldom. Does not translate to never. Just sayin. Personally, I'm tired of experimenting. Bring someone in that is proven.

12. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

In all fairness and reality though....

Petrino left like a Tool little ***** after like week 6 or something.

Saban was Gonzo by choice after like a season max.

Neither of these guys gave it a legit chance.

Spurrier though.... :kubepalm:

Jimmy Johnson had success.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I really like Jim Harbaugh as a prospective NFL coach. However, if we were fire Kubiak this year, the intent is to bring a coach in to win immediately. Perhaps he could. However, IMO, the biggest issue with a college coach is his ability to put together a quality NFL coaching staff for year one and be ready to win. If he can do that, I would be very interested.

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Ah man, going out and getting any college coach at this point might make me just jump of this ship completely. Talk about a total gamble. College football is a totally different game and the Texans can't afford to get it wrong again. They have to go after a proven HC with a good pedigree next. They simply have to. If it goes South for several years again, at least you could say that Bob went after a proven guy. Way to many college HC's that fail for me to be okay with that.

At this point our choices should be Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren (If he'll coach again), John Fox, Rob Ryan, or Brian Shottenheimer as a last choice.

That's a great line of choices to pick from.

15. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Wow, I thought were BS'n so bad had to look for myself, unbelievable...

16. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

This.

I think his skill set would translate to the pros. He comes from a coaching family and he's played and been an assistant in the NFL.

Nothing concrete to base it on, but I think this guy will be a success as a NFL coach. Love the killer instinct.

He's on my short list with Brian Schottenheimer.

17. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Bill Walsh was the HC of Stanford when the 49ers hired him, how did that work out.?

18. panamamyers

panamamyers Veteran

Either you know how to coach football or you don't....

Jim Harbuagh is an exceptional coach. He's not a Steve Spurrier type college coach. Go watch Stanford play. They run all pro-style schemes.

For all of the examples of college coaches that failed in the NFL, I can give you just as many examples of college coaches that did great in the NFL. I can also give you just as many examples of NFL coordinators that became head coaches and were crappy head coaches. Romeo Crennel, Gary Kubiak, Wade Phillips, Marty Mornihnweg..........the list goes on and on.

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh were two excellent examples of college head coaches that were wildly successful in the NFL.

The fact that someone is coming from college or an NFL coordinator position is a complete non-sequitur.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Inheriting a star QB has a way of making anyone look good. Any coach can look good with good players. Let's just use Brian Billick as an example. When he had Randy Moss and that awesome Vikings OL, he looked like a great offensive coach. Then he went to BAL as a HC, had great players on defense, and won a SB like that. Now he's out of a job. A lot of the guys he drafted didn't pan out.

I'm not saying Harbaugh will or won't be a good HC, but I'd like to see what he does without Luck. Unless, of course, we get him and Luck in a package deal. :drool:

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

I don't like Brian Schottenheimer as HC. I like him, but not as HC. I would take him as OC with Marty being the HC, but no way do we give an underperforming OC a chance here. If we are going the route of choosing someone without head coaching experience, he better have a defensive background.

For me here is my order of preference, and Jim isn't a bad choice as an NFL head coach, I just don't know if he has enough NFL experience for my taste. Even John Harbaugh had some NFL coaching experience before Ozzie gave him the gig.

Jimmy Johnson (pipe dream but its not completely impossible)
    Bill Cowher
    Mike Holmgren
    Jon Gruden
    Rob Ryan
    John Fox
    Marty Schottenheimer
    then Jim Harbaugh or Leslie Frazier (he is Vikes HC in a week or two)

I think Jim is going to make a fine head coach, but we need someone with a proven track record after the failure that is the Kubiak era. Plus we need someone to come in with a decent group of assistants. Kubiak's downfall is that he sucks....I mean SUCKS!!! at hiring good defensive coaching. Proof is in the pudding. Almost 5 years and you have brought in Richard Smith (sucks donkey doodoo) and Frank Bush (sucks even more donkey doodoo *if that is possible)

get these carebear clowns out of here and bring someone in with some damn fire

KUBIAK SUCKS!!