Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is jabbar gaffney any good?

andrewm779

Practice Squad
Can one of you tell me about Jabbar Gaffney. I am an Eagles fan and would like to know if he was a player with potential or if he was looking like a dud before he left. Should he and Reggie Brown (2nd year player -2nd Rd Pick - with 43 catches last year) be an adequate WR combo?

He is a decent possesion type receiver. He isn't going to stretch D's or anything. I would say he's an OK 3rd guy. Nowhere near our new 3rd guy, though.

I'd never consider Gaffney to be a #1 reciever...... which it looks like you are going to be using him as.... he's a #2 at best, and I think he would be a much better #2 with you guys, than he could have been with us(when he was with us) because we had a weak passing game, where that's all you've got.

But with McNabb, that may be all you need........ two #2s...... where you are really lacking, is the running game...... you ain't got one. Your running backs are also WRs or QBs..... you don't have a real running back, and so you have no real running game, so you are up by 3(or was it six??), and still have to throw the ball, to keep the chains moving, to kill the clock, and what happens??

Roy Williams picks you off, and returns it for the score.....

That's not your only weakness though....... wait until Sept 10, and we'll show you a bunch of others......

Jabar is not a burner, but his hands are like glue, he should do well as a #3 WR, I wouldn't put him as a #1 or #2 due to lack of speed.

andrewm779 said:
Can one of you tell me about Jabbar Gaffney. I am an Eagles fan and would like to know if he was a player with potential or if he was looking like a dud before he left. Should he and Reggie Brown (2nd year player -2nd Rd Pick - with 43 catches last year) be an adequate WR combo?
Jabar has a nasty habit of not looking for the ball if his number isn't called in the huddle, so he is useless if the QB gets in trouble. He has decent hands but does not catch everything thrown his way. Average route runner has difficulty at times in getting open and spikes the football before getting over the goal-line. Does not have the best attitude in the world but not the worst either.

In my opinion not worth the first selection in the second round in 02.

Sub-par #2 very good #3 receiver.

thunderkyss said:
I'd never consider Gaffney to be a #1 reciever...... which it looks like you are going to be using him as.... he's a #2 at best, and I think he would be a much better #2 with you guys, than he could have been with us(when he was with us) because we had a weak passing game, where that's all you've got.

But with McNabb, that may be all you need........ two #2s...... where you are really lacking, is the running game...... you ain't got one. Your running backs are also WRs or QBs..... you don't have a real running back, and so you have no real running game, so you are up by 3(or was it six??), and still have to throw the ball, to keep the chains moving, to kill the clock, and what happens??

Roy Williams picks you off, and returns it for the score.....

That's not your only weakness though....... wait until Sept 10, and we'll show you a bunch of others......

ouch.

ouch.

and there'll be only 3 ways for the texans to win that game.

1. The eagles are flat like they usually are in an opener.
2. the texans have improved dramatically.
3. injuries

I think the eagles have as good of a roster as the 03, 02, and 01 eagles that went to the first 3 straight NFCCGs.

TEXANRED said:
Jabar has a nasty habit of not looking for the ball if his number isn't called in the huddle, so he is useless if the QB gets in trouble. He has decent hands but does not catch everything thrown his way. Average route runner has difficulty at times in getting open and spikes the football before getting over the goal-line. Does not have the best attitude in the world but not the worst either.

In my opinion not worth the first selection in the second round in 02.

Sub-par #2 very good #3 receiver.

Jabar has dropped 5 passes in the last 3 seasons.

andrewm779 said:
ouch.

ouch.

and there'll be only 3 ways for the texans to win that game.

1. The eagles are flat like they usually are in an opener.
2. the texans have improved dramatically.
3. injuries

I think the eagles have as good of a roster as the 03, 02, and 01 eagles that went to the first 3 straight NFCCGs.

There problem isn't personell....... it's lack of dedication to the run game, and McNabb....

Until he stops screwing up, they are on a downward spiral.......

I called the move from best to worse last year, because of the debacle of a SuperBowl the year before...... the problem was McNabb, not T.O. as long as they continue to ignore McNabb's faults, they won't move forward.

Last year, it was McNabb vs T.O. this year, it will be McNabb vs Reid...... I predict Ried will be looking for a new job come January. If that is true, the Eagles are in trouble for '07 & '08 as well...... Unless Ried gets control of that team, and start to seriously question McNabb, the Eagles are done.

He has a lot of potential but mentaly not there. I can count at least three times the ball actually hit him in the helment because he did not lookback to catch it. Multiple times he was open but not going full speed and could not get the ball thrown to him. If he is not the first option he tends to take the play off. His crack blocks are terriable. I got used to seeing Johnson paancake defenders and I watched Gaffney play patty cake with defenders. I believe the right coach can make him better but he needs an attitude adjustment.

Jabar in my opinion will be one of the best FA acquistions of the season from a value standpoint. Should have been a very good #2 for us and was an average #1 for us when he filled in for AJ.

texan279 said:
Do you have a link for that or are you being funny?

Of course according to some of those stat sights Bradford only dropped two passes last year.

Take it for what its worth.

texan279 said:

That just means that 5 passes that he touched, he dropped. That doesn't mean that he extended himself in anyway possible to make a dramatic catch . Gaffney was a descent receiver given all the chances to be a #2 and couldn't even beat out Cory Bradford. I love the receiver corp that we have now and wouldn't take him back.

andrewm779 said:

Jabbar Gaffney is the epitome of the University of Florida WR's. They enter the league highly touted and although they never are total busts...they never seem to reach their full potential. He will make some plays but he will never be the guy that will be the focal part of your offense. If he is...good luck.

He needs to take some of that glue on his hands and put it on his helmet. :)

Call his number on a 10 yd. route and watch him give you a first down. Don't call his number, throw the ball his way anyway, and watch him not watch the ball hit his head. He's extremely reliable....until he screws up really bad. :tease:

Kaiser Toro said:
Jabar in my opinion will be one of the best FA acquistions of the season from a value standpoint. Should have been a very good #2 for us and was an average #1 for us when he filled in for AJ.

Are you joking?? He couldn't beat out Bradford the 4 years they were here together.

texanfan2002114 said:
Are you joking?? He couldn't beat out Bradford the 4 years they were here together.

Are you joking?--judging players based on the ratings of a coaching staff which was so astute they all got fired and most haven't been re-hired.

Two words for you: Victor Riley

texanfan2002114 said:

yeah, but by the same guys that put Wand on the bench, McKinney at Center, took T.J. in the second, and Babin in the first.......

texanfan2002114 said:

No, just my opinion. However, your understanding of the facts are off.

Bradford 38 games started. Gaffney 50 games started.

Last year Gaffney was tied for 51st in the league in recpetions on the third worst passing team in the NFL.

You may see nothing, but I see value.

thunderkyss said:
yeah, but by the same guys that put Wand on the bench, McKinney at Center, took T.J. in the second, and Babin in the first.......

Travis Johnson was taken in the 1st round. After his senior year a lot of people had him ranked as the #1 defensive lineman prospect in the nation. I think I will give him another season, especially in the 4-3, before making a decision on Johnson. And Babin right now is battling for the starting DE spot, so I don't see a problem with where he was picked in the 1st round. That was part of the old regime's problem, drafting, acquiring players from 4-3 defense's and trying to plug them into Fangio's 3-4. Wong, Babin, Johnson, Sharper, Robaire, and Payne all came from teams or colleges that played the 4-3, and I am probably forgetting a few guys.

thunderkyss said:

you want to go that route then, they took gaffney over portis. and i still think gaffney is overrated.

texanfan2002114 said:
you want to go that route then, they took gaffney over portis. and i still think gaffney is overrated.

We took Chester Pitts one spot before Clinton Portis.

infantrycak said:
Two words for you: Victor Riley

Marcus Spears is another one to throw out there.

The trivia question: Which dubious cast of characters have been given the unappealing task of playing offensive left tackle for Texans in their brief history?

Just don't run gaffney on any trick plays near the redzone, he'll fumble the ball out of bounds in the endzone:stirpot: :stirpot:

He's decent, I think the eagles should either draft a 1st round reciever or try to make a big free-agent acquisition to be their #1, Gaffney can make #2 but his best value would be coming out of the slot. The Eagles WR corps seems a little lackluster to me :crying: ... but I guess thats a good thing since we're playing them first game of the season.

texan279 said:
That was part of the old regime's problem, drafting, acquiring players from 4-3 defense's and trying to plug them into Fangio's 3-4. Wong, Babin, Johnson, Sharper, Robaire, and Payne all came from teams or colleges that played the 4-3, and I am probably forgetting a few guys.

Every D player in the nation except those who went to Marlyand or Virginia played in a 4-3. I understand the argument that TJ is better suited because of his play style to a 4-3 but restricting your search for draft picks who played 3-4 in college would result in no team in the NFL playing the 3-4. Clearly successful 3-4 D's can be built from folks coming from 4-3's in college.

TheOgre said:
The trivia question: Which dubious cast of characters have been given the unappealing task of playing offensive left tackle for Texans in their brief history?

Pitts
Wand
Spears
Riley

at RT
Wade
Wiegert
Herndon

Who am I missing?

Seriously, he is a really good slot guy. A lot of these people are down on him. When Johnson was hurt this past year, Gaffney caught like 7 or 8 passes a game, and almost all of them for a first down. He runs GREAT routs and was the BEST route runner on this team. He will be killer for McNabb.

infantrycak said:
Pitts
Wand
Spears
Riley

at RT
Wade
Wiegert
Herndon

Who am I missing?

That guy who went to the Cowboys. Young or something like that? Repressed memories are so hard to pull back up.

Gaffney is a average receiver that with the right work could turn into a good receiver. I would compare him to TJ Housh from the Bengals. He runs decent routes, has good hands, and wants the ball. He will make a good 2 or 3 for the Eagles.

Good things: He has a shifty move, notice that move is singular; he will make one guy miss but most likely fall forward for an extra yard or two.

He can catch the ball. Put him in the slot and have him run an out route and if the defense doesn't know whats coming you've most likely got yourself a few yards.

Uses his body decently in blocking defenders from the ball.

Bad things: He is a gator.

He is slow. Not slow, slow, but for a NFL WR he isn't quick or fast.

Doom Capers said:
Seriously, he is a really good slot guy. A lot of these people are down on him. When Johnson was hurt this past year, Gaffney caught like 7 or 8 passes a game, and almost all of them for a first down. He runs GREAT routs and was the BEST route runner on this team. He will be killer for McNabb.

I think Gaffney will make a good #2..... like I said earlier..... I did misspeak, saying we took TJ in the second....

But I'm not downing TJ, Babin, or Wand..... just pointing to the mismanagement of talent of the previous staff....... hence, just because Gaffney played behind Bradford, doesn't mean Bradford was better than Gaffney.... that's all I'm saying.

& every post referring to our previous staffs drafts, or player management just proves my point.

thunderkyss said:
I think Gaffney will make a good #2..... like I said earlier..... I did misspeak, saying we took TJ in the second....

But I'm not downing TJ, Babin, or Wand..... just pointing to the mismanagement of talent of the previous staff....... hence, just because Gaffney played behind Bradford, doesn't mean Bradford was better than Gaffney.... that's all I'm saying.

& every post referring to our previous staffs drafts, or player management just proves my point.

That ain't no joke. I've been going nuts wanting them to play ANYBODY but Bradford for at least 2 seasons.

The way my lucks been, someway, somehow, Bradford will show up and start. He's not on the team....I don't even think he's on an NFL roster (could be wrong), but, somehow, that guy will show up for the Eagles game to start the season and Moulds will be sitting on the bench. :brickwall

Coach C. said:
Gaffney is a average receiver that with the right work could turn into a good receiver. I would compare him to TJ Housh from the Bengals. He runs decent routes, has good hands, and wants the ball. He will make a good 2 or 3 for the Eagles.

I think this is a decent comparison, Gaffney does have good hands and runs decent routes, although I think he lets himself get taken out of the game mentally too much and other posts on here are right that he doesn't always pay attention if the play isn't meant to go his way and he's not especially fast. He is a decent #2 option at WR, but is probably best in the slot as the #3 option.

HJam72 said:
That ain't no joke. I've been going nuts wanting them to play ANYBODY but Bradford for at least 2 seasons.

The way my lucks been, someway, somehow, Bradford will show up and start. He's not on the team....I don't even think he's on an NFL roster (could be wrong), but, somehow, that guy will show up for the Eagles game to start the season and Moulds will be sitting on the bench. :brickwall

Bradford is currently on the Lions.

TEXANRED said:
Maybe on a pee-wee football team he makes a good #2. There is a reason why his best offer was a one year deal.

That smells like an opinion with a splash of unadulterated sarcasm with little regard for the situation that he was in.

In a top 10 passing offense last year (3677 yds--that played a significant part of the season with the 2nd and 3rd QB's and moved to dumping to the TE and RB), the top WR's had 763 yds (TO part time), 571 and 561 yds. In the 30th passing O (2237 yds), Gaffney had 492 yds (632 yds 2004). If he is consistantly on the field there is no reason not to expect him to connect for 800+ yds.

infantrycak said:
In a top 10 passing offense last year (3677 yds--that played a significant part of the season with the 2nd and 3rd QB's and moved to dumping to the TE and RB), the top WR's had 763 yds (TO part time), 571 and 561 yds. In the 30th passing O (2237 yds), Gaffney had 492 yds (632 yds 2004). If he is consistantly on the field there is no reason not to expect him to connect for 800+ yds.

I concur

It feels good to be in accordance with Infantrycak..............

HJam72 said:

The way my lucks been, someway, somehow, Bradford will show up and start. He's not on the team....I don't even think he's on an NFL roster (could be wrong), but, somehow, that guy will show up ... to start the season and Moulds will be sitting on the bench. :brickwall

Do NOT say this... do not THINK THIS... (I happen to agree with you about Bradford but let's not tempt the devil.)

I liked Gaff in what I saw of him as a player, but I have it on limited inside word that he was lazy in practice and not a particularly fiery player; a theory which receives some validation in our new staff opting to cut him. Will be interested to see how he does in Philadelphia ... though I wouldn't mind seeing someone light him up across the middle when he comes here. I probably would have preferred we keep him, but oh well.

Kaiser Toro said:
That smells like an opinion with a splash of unadulterated sarcasm with little regard for the situation that he was in.
Sarcasm? NO........not me:spy:

All I am saying is that if you know your O line stinks and you know your QB takes a lot of sacks and you know that your QB will be under pressure on any given pass play, than maybe you should keep your head on a swivel and know your going to have to break your route early and give your QB some help.

Thats all I'm saying.

Back