Is jabbar gaffney any good?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by andrewm779, Jul 14, 2006.

1. andrewm779

andrewm779 Waterboy

Can one of you tell me about Jabbar Gaffney. I am an Eagles fan and would like to know if he was a player with potential or if he was looking like a dud before he left. Should he and Reggie Brown (2nd year player -2nd Rd Pick - with 43 catches last year) be an adequate WR combo?

2. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

If you need a slow receiver that runs sloppy routes, he's your man.

He does have good hands.

3. Bullpen Drew

Bullpen Drew All Pro

If he does great in Philly I at least have his autograph!

4. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

He should be a decent 3rd receiver.

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

He is a decent possesion type receiver. He isn't going to stretch D's or anything. I would say he's an OK 3rd guy. Nowhere near our new 3rd guy, though.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'd never consider Gaffney to be a #1 reciever...... which it looks like you are going to be using him as.... he's a #2 at best, and I think he would be a much better #2 with you guys, than he could have been with us(when he was with us) because we had a weak passing game, where that's all you've got.

But with McNabb, that may be all you need........ two #2s...... where you are really lacking, is the running game...... you ain't got one. Your running backs are also WRs or QBs..... you don't have a real running back, and so you have no real running game, so you are up by 3(or was it six??), and still have to throw the ball, to keep the chains moving, to kill the clock, and what happens??

Roy Williams picks you off, and returns it for the score.....

That's not your only weakness though....... wait until Sept 10, and we'll show you a bunch of others......

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Jabar is not a burner, but his hands are like glue, he should do well as a #3 WR, I wouldn't put him as a #1 or #2 due to lack of speed.

8. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Jabar has a nasty habit of not looking for the ball if his number isn't called in the huddle, so he is useless if the QB gets in trouble. He has decent hands but does not catch everything thrown his way. Average route runner has difficulty at times in getting open and spikes the football before getting over the goal-line. Does not have the best attitude in the world but not the worst either.

In my opinion not worth the first selection in the second round in 02.

Sub-par #2 very good #3 receiver.

9. andrewm779

andrewm779 Waterboy

ouch.

ouch.

and there'll be only 3 ways for the texans to win that game.

1. The eagles are flat like they usually are in an opener.
    2. the texans have improved dramatically.
    3. injuries

I think the eagles have as good of a roster as the 03, 02, and 01 eagles that went to the first 3 straight NFCCGs.

10. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Jabar has dropped 5 passes in the last 3 seasons.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

There problem isn't personell....... it's lack of dedication to the run game, and McNabb....

Until he stops screwing up, they are on a downward spiral.......

I called the move from best to worse last year, because of the debacle of a SuperBowl the year before...... the problem was McNabb, not T.O. as long as they continue to ignore McNabb's faults, they won't move forward.

Last year, it was McNabb vs T.O. this year, it will be McNabb vs Reid...... I predict Ried will be looking for a new job come January. If that is true, the Eagles are in trouble for '07 & '08 as well...... Unless Ried gets control of that team, and start to seriously question McNabb, the Eagles are done.

12. done88

done88 Veteran

He has a lot of potential but mentaly not there. I can count at least three times the ball actually hit him in the helment because he did not lookback to catch it. Multiple times he was open but not going full speed and could not get the ball thrown to him. If he is not the first option he tends to take the play off. His crack blocks are terriable. I got used to seeing Johnson paancake defenders and I watched Gaffney play patty cake with defenders. I believe the right coach can make him better but he needs an attitude adjustment.

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Jabar in my opinion will be one of the best FA acquistions of the season from a value standpoint. Should have been a very good #2 for us and was an average #1 for us when he filled in for AJ.

14. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Do you have a link for that or are you being funny?

Of course according to some of those stat sights Bradford only dropped two passes last year.

Take it for what its worth.

15. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

That just means that 5 passes that he touched, he dropped. That doesn't mean that he extended himself in anyway possible to make a dramatic catch . Gaffney was a descent receiver given all the chances to be a #2 and couldn't even beat out Cory Bradford. I love the receiver corp that we have now and wouldn't take him back.

16. trane

trane Rookie

Jabbar Gaffney is the epitome of the University of Florida WR's. They enter the league highly touted and although they never are total busts...they never seem to reach their full potential. He will make some plays but he will never be the guy that will be the focal part of your offense. If he is...good luck.

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

He needs to take some of that glue on his hands and put it on his helmet. :)

Call his number on a 10 yd. route and watch him give you a first down. Don't call his number, throw the ball his way anyway, and watch him not watch the ball hit his head. He's extremely reliable....until he screws up really bad. :tease:

18. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Are you joking?? He couldn't beat out Bradford the 4 years they were here together.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Are you joking?--judging players based on the ratings of a coaching staff which was so astute they all got fired and most haven't been re-hired.

Two words for you: Victor Riley

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

yeah, but by the same guys that put Wand on the bench, McKinney at Center, took T.J. in the second, and Babin in the first.......