Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is It time to fire David Culley after 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys do realize Minshew wasn't on the table right? Jags still had him on his rookie deal, and no way they trade to us without it costing an arm and a leg. Texans never had any chance of getting him so knocking them for not signing or trading for a player that wasn't available to be signed or traded for seems kind of silly.
So how did he wind up in Philly?

He’ll clear waivers because no one is taking on that dumb contract.

Whether he starts again for someone, I don’t know. There’s a lot of players starting in this league who probably shouldn’t be. Unfortunately most of them play for the Texans. Ba-da tsh! So I wouldn’t say there’s no way in hell he doesn’t start again for someone.

Like you you said, he’s a cover LB, drafted to cover, that’s never been able to. Definitely worth a 4 year $58M extension. Oh wait, no, that’s not true at all. Wow, 4/58 for that dude.

Starter? I don’t know, but I think he sees significant snaps with someone.

Oh, and I definitely don’t believe the Texans could have gotten a 3rd or 4th for him like I’ve seen a couple of mentions of. No way in hell. They’d have been lucky to get a 6th IMO, if that much, I think in large part because of the contract.

I don’t disagree with the Texans deciding they could move on from the lack of talent. I just don’t see why it had to be done right this minute, where it’s going to cost them next year. $12M+ is quite a hit.
This didn't age well 🤣🤣

You guys do realize Minshew wasn't on the table right? Jags still had him on his rookie deal, and no way they trade to us without it costing an arm and a leg. Texans never had any chance of getting him so knocking them for not signing or trading for a player that wasn't available to be signed or traded for seems kind of silly.
People are always on the table. Nobody thought Hopkins was on the table , yet the Texans got David Johnson and a 2nd for him 😆😆

Only the first sentence. And I’ve already admitted to being ignorant on the contract stuff. The rest of it is spot on though.
So he leaves Patriots south because of unexplained standards to go play for one of the most Patriots way coaches in the NFL? Cunningham is a good player, he's overpaid. Vrabel decided they could really use a 2 down run stuffing lb. They claimed him off waivers, will probably restructure his contract and he gets to see his former team for the next 4 years. He's the #1 player in run stop percentage since entering the NFL. Guess who gave him that contract? The character coach/vp of football operations.

So how did he wind up in Philly?
People are always on the table. Nobody thought Hopkins was on the table , yet the Texans got David Johnson and a 2nd for him 😆😆

So you’re saying the Jags would have traded a starter QB on a rookie contract for 3 years to a division rival for the same price as they did to someone not even in the AFC?

Okay.

On an unrelated topic would you be interested in a nice piece of ocean front property in Arizona? It’s going fast and cheap.

So he leaves Patriots south because of unexplained standards to go play for one of the most Patriots way coaches in the NFL? Cunningham is a good player, he's overpaid. Vrabel decided they could really use a 2 down run stuffing lb. They claimed him off waivers, will probably restructure his contract and he gets to see his former team for the next 4 years. He's the #1 player in run stop percentage since entering the NFL. Guess who gave him that contract? The character coach/vp of football operations.

This.

The Titans just got better with this acquisition.

The view in Music City is that this is a good pickup. We won't see him this weekend due to COVID protocols but considering the injuries we've had, he should be healthy (not playing two weekends in a row) and ready to go for us.

The 2022 Texans roster is going to be worse than their 2021 roster. Therefore, it is a MUST the Texans KEEP David Culley. (DO NOT FIRE) He is the best chance the Texans have at drafting Bryce Young in 2023.

After an awful 2022 season I hope Game Boy comes to his senses and FIRES the Preacher, the File Clerk and anyone else associated with them.

The 2022 Texans roster is going to be worse than their 2021 roster. Therefore, it is a MUST the Texans KEEP David Culley. (DO NOT FIRE) He is the best chance the Texans have at drafting Bryce Young in 2023.

After an awful 2022 season I hope Game Boy comes to his senses and FIRES the Preacher, the File Clerk and anyone else associated with them.

Agreed, except for the last paragraph. The Texans are going to suck again next yr with or without Culley. So that should make you happy. Seems to me you're hate for all things Foxboro is making you not wanting to embrace the full rebuild. The decks will be cleared and there will be plenty of cap space available after the 2022 season. Rebuilds take time.

The other question that may answer this one is, how many head coaches does a GM get? I believe the faster Caserio fires Culley the shorter Nick's own tenure will be. He can't afford to burn through his first HC after one year. Because it's looking like 2022 is going to be as bad as 2021 has been for the Texans.

For Caserio's own self-preservation it would be wise to let Culley dangle in the wind for another year.

The other question that may answer this one is, how many head coaches does a GM get? I believe the faster Caserio fires Culley the shorter Nick's own tenure will be. He can't afford to burn through his first HC after one year. Because it's looking like 2022 is going to be as bad as 2021 has been for the Texans.

For Caserio's own self-preservation it would be wise to let Culley dangle in the wind for another year.
In the Nick Caserio thread, the subject of tanking is discussed. If Caserio and Easterby have constructed a roster meant to "tank", why would they then fire the coach one year into a five year contract? Seems to me it is only one or the other.

Close, nice try 1976, but it's "twisting slowly in the wind".
But I get your point on a GM having a limit on the number of HCs he can hire during his tenure.
But see I've always been of the belief that Caserio was given strict guidelines on his first HC hiring because of DW4s demands on ownership, just as DW4 reportedly wanted Kelly retained as the OC.
Of course I don't know this, just my theory.

Caserio can't fire Culley on his own. He has to get buy in from Kyle (and likely Easterby). Kyle would have to explain to ownership (his mommy) why he's giving a guy 5 years of salary for one year of work. None of this is happening. Culley is back in 2022.

Caserio can't fire Culley on his own. He has to get buy in from Kyle (and likely Easterby). Kyle would have to explain to ownership (his mommy) why he's giving a guy 5 years of salary for one year of work. None of this is happening. Culley is back in 2022.
Culley is now set for retirement with his new salary, it's why he is always smiling.
Right and right. He's the perfect sock puppet head coach for what it is they're doing right now. Smile, be positive, say how hard they're working, smile, take the heat, add to retirement fund, smile. He ain't going nowhere.

Tim Kelly will be the scapegoat and be fired at season's end.

Because it's looking like 2022 is going to be as bad as 2021 has been for the Texans.

The goal should be to build a competitive team. He's only got so much time to do that. If he believes Culley is an asset working towards that goal he should keep him. If he thinks Culley pushes that timeline too far out, he should move on

In the Nick Caserio thread, the subject of tanking is discussed. If Caserio and Easterby have constructed a roster meant to "tank", why would they then fire the coach one year into a five year contract? Seems to me it is only one or the other.

Agreed

But looking at the stands you have to wonder if Culley is going to survive another year.

The goal should be to build a competitive team. He's only got so much time to do that. If he believes Culley is an asset working towards that goal he should keep him. If he thinks Culley pushes that timeline too far out, he should move on

The goal should be to build a championship level team.

Nothing else, they dont give out participation trophies in the NFL.

The goal should be to build a championship level team.

Nothing else, they dont give out participation trophies in the NFL.
Well.... they kinda do.

I mean their paychecks are reason enough for most to simply participate.

Would be interesting to see all players only recieve above league minimum if they make a playoff run.

Never happen... but I bet even the diva players would shut up and play for the higher pay.

Well.... they kinda do.

I mean their paychecks are reason enough for most to simply participate.

Would be interesting to see all players only recieve above league minimum if they make a playoff run.

Never happen... but I bet even the diva players would shut up and play for the higher pay.

Yep, I'm for all players in all sports being FA's on a yearly basis.

Never happen, but it would be much more interesting and put a true premium on evaluating talent and coaching. This is the reason I like football. The cream would rise to the top, very quickly.

No, we are still going to stink next year so it should have been our aim to get someone qualified enough to at least last two or three years. Was a joke and further degraded their already terrible brand.

I know I'm in the minority, but I could care less about the MCnair's brand. I care about the rebuild and building a championship team. Gotta suffer through 2-4 yrs to cleanup the mess BOB/Derrick left. The legacy of RS lives on. Wonder why we haven't heard from RS lately bragging about the Derrick pick.

I know I'm in the minority, but I could care less about the MCnair's brand. I care about the rebuild and building a championship team. Gotta suffer through 2-4 yrs to cleanup the mess BOB/Derrick left. The legacy of RS lives on. Wonder why we haven't heard from RS lately bragging about the Derrick pick.

Do you also wonder why you haven’t heard why anyone still employed with the Texans bragging about giving Derrick that $160 million contract and no trade clause?

Do you also wonder why you haven’t heard why anyone still employed with the Texans bragging about giving Derrick that $160 million contract and no trade clause?

I didn't know anybody with the Texans was bragging about that contract. I do know RS was bragging about the pick and talking about what great character Derrick had. Said that was one of the determining factors in him picking Derrick. Great stuff.

Reactions: JB
I didn't know anybody with the Texans was bragging about that contract. I do know RS was bragging about the pick and talking about what great character Derrick had. Said that was one of the determining factors in him picking Derrick. Great stuff.
Until we hear differently. None of Watson's alleged behavior occurred while RS was employed with the Texans. I always find it interesting that you want to blame RS for not knowing what Watson was going to do in the future, while giving a pass to Cal, Easterby and BOB for not knowing what he was doing under their noses. If you really want to be fair and read great stuff from the folks who gave Derrick that contract, here is the transcript filled with great stuff from your boy Easterby.

Houston Texans Quarterback Deshaun Watson meets with the media after signing his contract extension with the team.

HEAD COACH AND GENERAL MANAGER BILL O'BRIEN
I want to obviously thank the McNairs, Cal and Janice McNair are here tonight, their support of what we're trying to do here with Deshaun has just been awesome. It's just been tremendous support and we've only started this journey really. I also want to thank Jack Easterby. He's standing here too. Jack Easterby did a tremendous job. Along with Deshaun's representative, David Mulugheta, who was a tremendous representative of Deshaun. Jack and David worked together a lot on this contract and were able to come to an agreement this morning. And so we're thrilled, obviously we're thrilled. With that, I'll open it up to questions."

EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS JACK EASTERBY
How would you describe the effect that QB Deshaun Watson has on other people around him and their lives?

"Great question. I don't know if we have enough time. I think these cameras would go dead. You know, I think if you study what a person does with their gifts, you will be revealed what they will do with their treasures. So if you study how a person carefully uses and hones and works on their gifts, then when they're given more treasure, more responsibility, they'll probably get that same result. And so what I've been blessed to witness as probably the newest member of this franchise is how Deshaun has used his gifts, his gifts of presence. He has a gift of presence when he's with other people. His gift of being a good listener. He listens to his teammates really well. A gift of being consistent because he's a consistent person so people know what they're going to get out of him. I think a gift of being a good friend because you have to be a friend and teammate from the position. A gift of being a good communicator both verbally and non-verbally which I think really matters at the quarterback position. He's got gifts and he used those gifts to now then gain an opportunity to have treasure. Now he'll use the continued treasure both in leadership and financial wealth to influence this city and a lot of people for the right things, and we believe that wholeheartedly."

Like you said. Great stuff.

Until we hear differently. None of Watson's alleged behavior occurred while RS was employed with the Texans. I always find it interesting that you want to blame RS for not knowing what Watson was going to do in the future, while giving a pass to Cal, Easterby and BOB for not knowing what he was doing under their noses. If you really want to be fair and read great stuff from the folks who gave Derrick that contract, here is the transcript filled with great stuff from your boy Easterby.

Houston Texans Quarterback Deshaun Watson meets with the media after signing his contract extension with the team.

I want to obviously thank the McNairs, Cal and Janice McNair are here tonight, their support of what we're trying to do here with Deshaun has just been awesome. It's just been tremendous support and we've only started this journey really. I also want to thank Jack Easterby. He's standing here too. Jack Easterby did a tremendous job. Along with Deshaun's representative, David Mulugheta, who was a tremendous representative of Deshaun. Jack and David worked together a lot on this contract and were able to come to an agreement this morning. And so we're thrilled, obviously we're thrilled. With that, I'll open it up to questions."

How would you describe the effect that QB Deshaun Watson has on other people around him and their lives?

"Great question. I don't know if we have enough time. I think these cameras would go dead. You know, I think if you study what a person does with their gifts, you will be revealed what they will do with their treasures. So if you study how a person carefully uses and hones and works on their gifts, then when they're given more treasure, more responsibility, they'll probably get that same result. And so what I've been blessed to witness as probably the newest member of this franchise is how Deshaun has used his gifts, his gifts of presence. He has a gift of presence when he's with other people. His gift of being a good listener. He listens to his teammates really well. A gift of being consistent because he's a consistent person so people know what they're going to get out of him. I think a gift of being a good friend because you have to be a friend and teammate from the position. A gift of being a good communicator both verbally and non-verbally which I think really matters at the quarterback position. He's got gifts and he used those gifts to now then gain an opportunity to have treasure. Now he'll use the continued treasure both in leadership and financial wealth to influence this city and a lot of people for the right things, and we believe that wholeheartedly."

Bro exactly. That dudes hate for RS still weighs heavily on his heart. I’m still wondering what did he do to him personally.

I blame them all. He never should've been the pick in the 1st place and I said as much at the time. RS gets the most blame because he brought Derrick to Kirby. Cal gets the rest of the blame because he chose to give Derrick the money despite knowing at the very least somewhat of his character.

Bro exactly. That dudes hate for RS still weighs heavily on his heart. I’m still wondering what did he do to him personally.

He did nothing to me. He just wasn't very good at his job and was a politician rather than a GM. (Wasted decade) As far as Derrick goes, I dont like selfish people who take advantage of the gifts they've been given to take advantage of others. I think I've been quite clear about this. (Another wasted decade)

I blame them all. He never should've been the pick in the 1st place and I said as much at the time. RS gets the most blame because he brought Derrick to Kirby. Cal gets the rest of the blame because he chose to give Derrick the money despite knowing at the very least somewhat of his character.
If you pull that card. I can simply say that if McNair fired Smith when he fired Kubiak, RS would not have been around to make the Watson pick. Reading the transcript, it seems Easterby played a major role in that contract. But he always escapes criticism.

Many people contributed to the current state of the Texans. I will never understand your RS obsession.

If you pull that card. I can simply say that if McNair fired Smith when he fired Kubiak, RS would not have been around to make the Watson pick. Reading the transcript, it seems Easterby played a major role in that contract. But he always escapes criticism.

Many people contributed to the current state of the Texans. I will never understand your RS obsession.

You're correct that's exactly what Bob McNair should've done with Kubiak/Smith and what Cal McNair should've done with BOB/Easterby.

Correct there are many people who greatly contributed to the state of the Texans. McNair's, you could say Rootes etc... but nobody other than Bob McNair contributed more to the current state of the Texans more than the man who failed for over a decade and as a parting gift left the franchise with a perverted mess to cleanup.

He did nothing to me. He just wasn't very good at his job and was a politician rather than a GM. (Wasted decade) As far as Derrick goes, I dont like selfish people who take advantage of the gifts they've been given to take advantage of others. I think I've been quite clear about this. (Another wasted decade)

He had the roster looking better than it looks today, hands down. And we had ballers on both sides of the ball.

Further than this crap we’re seeing today. And we actually saw darn good competitive football.

This is what a rebuild looks like.

RS got to do 2 of them. They needed to rebuild before Derrick went full on Perv. So in a way this is a good thing. Does it really matter if they win 4 games or 2 games?

This is Caserio's 1st rebuild. Lets see where he is in 3-4 yrs. If they're struggling you can believe that I will be the same way with Caserio as I was with RS. I mean I was just as hard on Casserly as I was with RS. It's not my fault RS drafted Derrick and make all of the how would you have known etc... comments, (Not directed at you) but remember I didn't like the pick when it was made. Fact is if RS hadn't picked Derrick the franchise wouldn't be in the position they're in today. There no getting around this.

So you’re saying the Jags would have traded a starter QB on a rookie contract for 3 years to a division rival for the same price as they did to someone not even in the AFC?

Okay.

On an unrelated topic would you be interested in a nice piece of ocean front property in Arizona? It’s going fast and cheap.
They have the #1 overall pick in the draft at qb. You think they view the Texans and their dysfunctional franchise and Minshew as a threat? They traded him to Philly for Thanksgiving leftovers which is more than what Texans got for Ingram

RS got to do 2 of them. They needed to rebuild before Derrick went full on Perv. So in a way this is a good thing. Does it really matter if they win 4 games or 2 games?

This is Caserio's 1st rebuild. Lets see where he is in 3-4 yrs. If they're struggling you can believe that I will be the same way with Caserio as I was with RS. I mean I was just as hard on Casserly as I was with RS. It's not my fault RS drafted Derrick and make all of the how would you have known etc... comments, (Not directed at you) but remember I didn't like the pick when it was made. Fact is if RS hadn't picked Derrick the franchise wouldn't be in the position they're in today. There no getting around this.
Yeah, Nathan Peterman would've been awesome for Texans. Let your envy go bro

Whats funny is after all that, they asked Watson about Esterby and he stated he doesn't have a relationship with him. In the exit presser Watson spoke about people walking around with power. Whitney, they poster boy of poor contracts given out by Jack spoke about problems at the tippity top.

Close, nice try 1976, but it's "twisting slowly in the wind".
But I get your point on a GM having a limit on the number of HCs he can hire during his tenure.
But see I've always been of the belief that Caserio was given strict guidelines on his first HC hiring because of DW4s demands on ownership, just as DW4 reportedly wanted Kelly retained as the OC.
Of course I don't know this, just my theory.
You cant be serious

Yeah, Nathan Peterman would've been awesome for Texans. Let your envy go bro
That Mahomes guy that many on here wanted turned out to be pretty good.
Envy, LMAO can't get around the fact that RS traded for your guy and he turned out to be a perv. The fact that I didn't like the pick at the time doesn't make me envious. I like watching a trainwreck from time to time.

They have the #1 overall pick in the draft at qb. You think they view the Texans and their dysfunctional franchise and Minshew as a threat? They traded him to Philly for Thanksgiving leftovers which is more than what Texans got for Ingram

Considering they currently have the number 2 overall as well yeah I'd say they still view us as a threat. Seriously if you think we could have gotten Minshew for what Philly did then frankly I question how much attention you actually pay to drafts and trades.

That Mahomes guy that many on here wanted turned out to be pretty good.
Envy, LMAO can't get around the fact that RS traded for your guy and he turned out to be a perv. The fact that I didn't like the pick at the time doesn't make me envious. I like watching a trainwreck from time to time.
Many on here didn't want JJ Watt. So, what anonymous internet posters want doesn't matter and makes that point irrelevant. Posters always remember the players they want who became successful, but never remember the ones who were unsuccessful or the ones that they didn't want who became successful. I call it the Nate Peterman principle.

As mentioned previously. Pairing Mahomes with the BOB ED offense is not the guaranteed success or the panacea for all the problems with this offense. Mahomes has admitted he didn't really start reading defenses until his 3rd year. Would that fly in BOB's complicated scheme where the QB has to make the protection calls? Would BOB be willing to integrate many Air Raid concepts into his offense and terminology like Reid did for Mahomes? Would Mahomes have the luxury of sitting behind a veteran his rookie year? Is the surrounding cast Mahomes have in KC similar to what he would have with the Texans? There are many variables to consider before assuming Mahomes would be Mahomes in BOB's offense.

During practices his rookie season, Mahomes was throwing INTs all over the place. Many KC players were questioning the draft pick who had a reputation as a turnover prone gunslinger. I recall you mentioning Nate Peterman looked better than Watson in their preseason games. Would you have said Peterman looks better than Mahomes too?

So you mean the Texans had had great drafts between 2018-2020?
:hankpalm: :runaway:

Where did those ballers get them? They were never really contenders. Let's see what they look like in 5 yrs. Caserio is just getting started.
Your disdain for RS/Derrick is as strong as your fondness for Caserio/Easterby and their culture approach. As a Texans fan, I hope you are correct and Caserio succeeds. However, I also know if he fails...you will blame RS.

Are you saying there wasn't a mandate to hire a minority HC? Look at the candidates.
You post this like it's an excuse for the Texans. First taking a mandate from Derrick was dumb. Second, even if there was a mandate. Was Culley a better option than Leslie Frazier or even Jim Caldwell? Exactly what would Culley bring to the table to impress Derrick?

If Caldwell is selected, one of the first people calling Derrick would have been Peyton Manning to tell him what a great offensive coach was hired. With the 2020 defensive struggles, players who were coached by Frazier could call Watson and tell him what a great defensive mind was hired and how he would improve the defense. Who would call Derrick on Culley's behalf? A spokesman for Hubba Bubba?

Your disdain for RS/Derrick is as strong as your fondness for Caserio/Easterby and their culture approach. As a Texans fan, I hope you are correct and Caserio succeeds. However, I also know if he fails...you will blame RS.

Wrong, I don't care for Easterby at all. I just recognize that he was hired to do a job and he did his job well. Caserio is in charge of cleaning up the mess. The juries still out on him. So far I like some of what he's done and not so much other things he's done.

After Derrick's gone the book will finally be closed on the mediocrity of the RS era and the team can move on from this crap show. So once again you're wrong. I'm guessing you think it's personal with me and these guys? Truth is I don't like mediocrity or selfish people that are politicians more than being all in on the football side of things. It's not personal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back