Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Report: Texans vs. Jags

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
It isn't Wednesday yet, so no formal Injury Report, but I'll present some preliminary concerns.

Jackson didn't practice today.....rib injury.

A new development of questionable significance.....but still a concern........Watt did not practice today.......back soreness (may be insignificant, but this is how Cody and Foster, like many disc problems, first presented......hopefully, though, this time it will resolve as simple back muscle spasms)

It isn't Wednesday yet, so no formal Injury Report, but I'll present some preliminary concerns.

A new development of questionable significance.....but still a concern........Watt did not practice today.......back soreness (may be insignificant, but this is how Cody and Foster, like many disc problems, first presented......hopefully, though, this time it will resolve as simple back muscle spasms)

I'm never the one that wants to "phone it in" on a crap season but in an instance like this I think we should treat this extremely serious. No reason to risk anything with our "face of the franchise" over a 2-8 season just because.

Bench him. Let him get 100% and play him when he is. We need to baby the **** out of him for risk of next season.

Just my two cents.

Agree. We don't need a repeat of Adrian Peterson 2011 when he tore his ACL in the last week of a lost season.

The Jags look as banged up as us.

Yesterday's Injury Report (pertinent changes in red):

HOUSTON TEXANS
Wednesday (11/20/13)

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
WR DeAndre Hopkins Illness (the flu's going around Houston big time)
CB Kareem Jackson Ribs
CB Elbert Mack Hamstring
ILB Darryl Sharpton Foot/Toe/Back
G Wade Smith Knee
S Jawanza Starling Hamstring
DE J.J. Watt Back

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
T Duane Brown Illness
ILB Joe Mays Knee
ILB Mike Mohamed Hamstring
C Chris Myers Throat (interesting sometimes dangerous injury if severe enough...someone must have gotten under his mask)
ILB Jeff Tarpinian Groin
RB Ben Tate Ribs/Ankle/Toe

FULL PARTICIPATION
TE Ryan Griffin Concussion
G/C Ben Jones Ankle
S Shiloh Keo Achilles/Hamstring
T Derek Newton Knee/Elbow

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Wednesday (11/20/13)
DID NOT PARTICIPATE
DE Jason Babin Not Injury Related
WR Mike Brown Shoulder
WR Stephen Burton Concussion
LB Geno Hayes Knee
DT Abry Jones Back
RB Maurice Jones-Drew Not Injury Related
DT Sen'Derrick Marks Not Injury Related
C Brad Meester Not Injury Related
DT Roy Miller Not Injury Related

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
CB Will Blackmon Shoulder
CB Dwayne Gratz Hip
S Winston Guy Hamstring
TE Danny Noble Hamstring
LB Paul Posluszny Concussion
G/C Will Rackley Concussion
WR Cecil Shorts Groin
WR Kerry Taylor Toe
WR Stephen Williams Achilles

Damn. If Watt goes down with a back injury, Houston NFL teams are just pure snakebit and I'll have to find another team to root for. That makes me sad.

Jackson, Elbert Mack, Sharpton, and Jawanza still have not practiced this week.....all certainly questionable for Sunday.

Duane Brown has joined Hopkins on the Illness list.....hope this is not the beginning of a locker room spread.

Watt was "limited" with his back.............during non-contact practice.:kitten:

we can still win the divison at 8-8 and colts dont even have to lose out ..... LOL

FWIW, from HT.com

A day after watching his teammates from the sidelines, J.J. Watt was back on the practice field with the Texans. The defensive end missed Wednesday's work because of a "sore back", but was a full go at the Houston Methdoist Training Center on Thursday.

Again keep in mind, Thursday is not a contact practice.

Today, Watt completed a full sweat-pouring walk-through, making him probable for Sunday.

Of course, the real test of his back will be when he collides with a Jaguar.

Jackson is definitely OUT.

It looks that Tate will be again dealing with a Turf toe like last year.......we'll have to see how this affects his performance. It is likely that this could have more noticeable affect than his cracked ribs did.

HOUSTON TEXANS

Friday (11/22/13)
OUT
CB Kareem Jackson (DNP) Ribs
CB Elbert Mack (DNP) Hamstring
S Jawanza Starling (DNP) Hamstring

QUESTIONABLE
ILB Mike Mohamed (Limited) Hamstring
ILB Darryl Sharpton (Limited) Foot/Toe/Back
ILB Jeff Tarpinian (Limited) Groin

PROBABLE
T Duane Brown (Full) Illness
TE Ryan Griffin (Full) Concussion
WR DeAndre Hopkins (Full) Illness
G/C Ben Jones (Full) Ankle
S Shiloh Keo (Full) Achilles/Hamstring
ILB Joe Mays (Full) Knee
C Chris Myers (Full) Throat
T Derek Newton (Full) Knee/Elbow
G Wade Smith (Limited) Knee
RB Ben Tate (Limited) Ribs/Ankle/Toe
DE J.J. Watt (Full) Back
G Cody White (Full) Neck

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Friday (11/22/13)
OUT
WR Stephen Burton (DNP) Concussion
WR Stephen Williams (DNP) Achilles

QUESTIONABLE
WR Mike Brown (Limited) Shoulder
CB Will Blackmon (DNP) Shoulder
LB Geno Hayes (Limited) Knee

PROBABLE
CB Dwayne Gratz (Full) Hip
S Winston Guy (Limited) Hamstring
DT Abry Jones (Limited) Back
DT Roy Miller (Limited) Shoulder
TE Danny Noble (Full) Hamstring
LB Paul Posluszny (Full) Concussion
G/C Will Rackley (Full) Concussion
WR Cecil Shorts (Limited) Groin
WR Kerry Taylor (Limited) Toe

STATUS NOT APPLICABLE

DE Jason Babin (Full) Not Injury Related
RB Maurice Jones-Drew (Full) Not Injury Related
DT Sen'Derrick Marks (Full) Not Injury Related
C Brad Meester (Full) Not Injury Related

KJ out with a rib injury? Ben Tate says "what's up?"

I don't want to take anything away from Tate. That's tough regardless of why he's doing it.

I also heard today that KJ's is the very top rib(#1). It runs under the collar bone. They said its not possible to to pad extra like Tate. Maybe CND can elaborate it.

broken-ribs-cartoon.png

I don't want to take anything away from Tate. That's tough regardless of why he's doing it.

I also heard today that KJ's is the very top rib(#1). It runs under the collar bone. They said its not possible to to pad extra like Tate. Maybe CND can elaborate it.

broken-ribs-cartoon.png

Isolated 1st rib fractures are very uncommon because of the "protected" position of this rib. It is actually located behind the clavicle and upper sternum (breast bone), and not easily exposed to trauma as are the other ribs (See the diagram immediately below).

rib_anatomy.jpg

You see these type of injuries in front on high impact auto accidents.........and they are usually accompanied by other (many times massive) injuries such as clavicular fractures, shoulder fractures, other rib fractures, major vascular tears, and lung injuries. There have only been a handfull of isolated 1st rib fractures reported in athletes. Some of these are actually not caused by direct impact, but occur as a stress fracture over time with excessive muscle traction on the rib or a sudden violent contraction of the attached.......in the case of the 1st rib, this would most likely be the scalenus muscle (the diagonal muscle attaching to the top of the 1st rib in the diagram below).

shoulder_thoracic_outlet_syndrome_causes01.jpg

Fortunately, the athlete form of this injury is virtually never accompanied by the dreaded major vascular and lung injuries. This type of injury in the athlete is another example of a "perfect storm".......a very focused force delivered to a very small area that circumvents the protection of this structure in order for it to occur, and thus reinjury is unlikely. However, it is quite painful with any movement of the shoulder or pressure applied to the sternum. This can be expected to be a 4-6 week recovery, possibly longer if there are other structures involved that involved that are not being revealed.

Save KJ for next year. Screw the team this year. That ain't tanking, that's smart football.

roethlisburger also fractured his first rib didnt he? i seem to remember reading that it's a very dangerous injury.

Your memory is very good. The only time this injury, as I previously pointed out, becomes very dangerous or even life-threatening, is if the fracture is displaced and pushed back into the vital structures.....the major blood vessels like the subclavian (feeding the entire arm) or even the largest artery in the body....the aorta, or the lung structures. This evidently didn't occur in Big Ben's case or Kareem's case......or both would have been hospitalized......or dead. The main concern is that the fracture is allowed enough time to heal so that the unlikely scenario of a repeat "perfect storm" does not extend the injury next time and "complete the job" with dire consequences.

Food for thought:

All of our ILBs are on the Injury Report.....none better than "limited" status through Friday practice. Four of our OL starters and 2 of our backups are on the Injury Report but are expected to "play." Tate listed with 3 injuries.....last time Foster was listed a such, didn't make it out of the 1st quarter......... Three of our secondary are out........and the rest have played like they are "out" to lunch anyway.

But look at it on the bright side.........We don't see Ed Reed on our Injury report any more............and Schaub is healthier now than he has ever been.........just in Case........:kitten:

Your memory is very good. The only time this injury, as I previously pointed out, becomes very dangerous or even life-threatening, is if the fracture is displaced and pushed back into the vital structures.....the major blood vessels like the subclavian (feeding the entire arm) or even the largest artery in the body....the aorta, or the lung structures. This evidently didn't occur in Big Ben's case or Kareem's case......or both would have been hospitalized......or dead. The main concern is that the fracture is allowed enough time to heal so that the unlikely scenario of a repeat "perfect storm" does not extend the injury next time and "complete the job" with dire consequences.

The only time I've seen a 1st rib injury lead to a subclavian dissection and transection is in motorcycle collisions. It takes a **** ton of force to make that happen. That said, my patients don't go play football with a broken 1st rib, so who knows if reinjury could cause such a complication

Back