Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

If we pick up Carr's option we will suck for a decade

TexansFight

Veteran
Bench Carr, see if you have anything with Ragone for the rest of the season. Carr is horribly inaccurate and can only make a screen pass or a 5 yard out. His mechanics are terrible and he is shot. Chalk up him up as a bust and move on. The franchise will be better for it. If we pick up the option we will be in cap hell when we finally hire a GM and coaching staff who realize we have a bust on their hands.

I think it would be the worst move we could make by not picking up his option. 7 years down the road when he is leading the Lions or the Ravens into the playoffs and people are talking about his talent and why Houston ever let him go is when we will reget it. I think Carr has a lot of talent, and has become the leader of this football team and is the image of the city. If we let him go and draft Leinhart, we will just be 4 years behind. If we bring in a coach and let him work with Carr's mechanics and actually get some talent around him other than Davis and Johnson, Carr will prove he is worth his $8 million. Get rid of the overacheiving slot receivers, find some lineman that know what blocking is, set up a solid defense thats strong up the middle that gets a pass rush, and Carr can lead this team where we want to go.

The biggest reason to pay that $8 million, in all these years of being sacked and on a losing team, he never has complained once. That is a heart of a champion, something we want on this football team in the future.

na, that is good, please bring in Lienert so that he can throw the 8 yard hitches and dump passes. But better yet have him drop back in a 5 step drop and have him get nailed, ending his season with an MCL tear and we are starting Banks. I like this plan.

Well i went to the game today sorry to say i was one of the fans that left at halftime after David Threw the His Touchdown pass:sarcasm: i think we should pick up davids option he is the face of the franchise who cares if he cant play the position.:homer:

The bottom line is the Peyton Manning could not produce in this offense, the qb position is just one of many that must be upgraded for us to improve. A lot of people think that Leinart or Vince Young would be better than David, but neither can produce from his backside. It would be funny to see Peyton calling out audibles and doing everything else he does at the line of scrimmage, knowing that nobody on the offense would have a clue what he was doing, hell we can't get a play right when we huddle!

:texflag: I don't believe Carr does his OL any favors either . I also think they have to keep the offense simple for a reason ( somebody's not quick ). The bottom line is theres no way you extend his contract without a new deal .

:tomato: I understand that Carr is not going to be good anytime soon . I understand Carr is a loner on the sidelines cause the fellows won't hang out with him . I understand their playing the Kiss ( keep it simple stupid ) offense because of two reasons 1 . OL 2. Carr is a lock and load guy on one reciever . I understand the body language of the other players after Carr bounces the ball two them or fumbles .

Carr had time to throw the ball. He locks in on his primary reciever and never looks away to the secondary if the primary is cover. I watched this several times, his head never moved from the primary. He tries to throw the ball to the primary and it bounced on the ground at least 4 times. If he doesn't throw he runs, and throws it out of bounds or dumps it off. He never looked for a secondary reciever. He is not a NFL caliber QB. McNair is a fool to give him the 8 million to keep him.

bobby 119C:brickwall

touttail said:
Carr had time to throw the ball. He locks in on his primary reciever and never looks away to the secondary if the primary is cover. I watched this several times, his head never moved from the primary. He tries to throw the ball to the primary and it bounced on the ground at least 4 times. If he doesn't throw he runs, and throws it out of bounds or dumps it off. He never looked for a secondary reciever. He is not a NFL caliber QB. McNair is a fool to give him the 8 million to keep him.

bobby 119C:brickwall

Carr was constantly dumping the ball or throwing the ball quickly. He only "had time" becuase he was getting rid of it so fast. look at what manning does the next time he plays and you will see a big difference. Manning takes a few steps back and looks all over the field. Want to know why Carr doesnt? If he did, he's be sacked behind this pathetic Swiss Cheese line of ours. Put a real line in front of him, show him he atually will be protected, and then you will see his play.

Oh, and also we need to stop this Mickey Mouse style of Play calling.

I completely agree with touttail. The announcers were mentioning all the time during the game. He locks on his primary receiver and if the guy is covered he will either run out of bounds for a loss or throw an interception.

His mechanics are terrible and he is the most inaccurate QB in the NFL right now. He has more one-hoppers and throws that are 3 feet over the receivers heads than any QB that I have seen in the NFL this year. Our offensive line sucks but last night it gave him some time and he still couldn't do anything with it.

Draft Bush or trade out of the first pick to get Ferguson and another pick. Let Carr leave town and bring in a free agent veteran QB. Of course fire Casserly and Capers and bring in guys who can atually coach and spot talent. We will be back on the road to respectability if we do that.

TexansFight said:
he is the most inaccurate QB in the NFL right now.

But he wasn't like that in previous years. How many of our players are better now than when we got them? That is what frustrates me as a fan.

Our problems run deep, but much of them come from the coaching.

p.s. I did not say, or mean to imply, Carr had a good game or was blameless.

After being a Carr supporter for lo these many years, last night pushed me over the edge. I can't defend him any more. If we give Carr the new contract, my only hope is that a new coach can undo what the current coaches have done.

Carr has the talent to lead almost any decent team to wins. Hell last year he led us to 7. Yeah he has alot of issues be that because of the system or his own faults likely a combination of both. I dont know why everyone is talking about the 8 million option, because the 5.5 is the best way to go. it gives us one year with the new coach to decide if Carr is the guy for him and if not then you get rid of him and you are ok.

When he threw that pick last night and instead of chasing after the defender he threw his hands in the air...he lost me. Good for him if he can be successul elsewhere, but he is simply not worth an $8 million bonus and three year contract extension.

It's amazing that anyone can watch this guy and get the impression that he is a good quarterback. He is simply not an NFL level quarterback, plain and simple.

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:tomato: I understand that Carr is not going to be good anytime soon . I understand Carr is a loner on the sidelines cause the fellows won't hang out with him . I understand their playing the Kiss ( keep it simple stupid ) offense because of two reasons 1 . OL 2. Carr is a lock and load guy on one reciever . I understand the body language of the other players after Carr bounces the ball two them or fumbles .
Is see the offensive line next to him on almost every camera angle. I'm not there at the game but from what I can tell that is not the case.

If I recall correctly, when the Texans had the first pick David Carr was the best in the draft. The kid had talent, poise, guts, and everything you could want in a young quarterback. If that has changed, what caused it? If the Texans do not pick up his option, then given the same group we have, how is a new comer going to make things different? If the Texans pick up a veteran, who amongst them is going to want their career to go up in smoke? If it it a Liernert or Young who are we to go after the best only to see their careers put in jeopardy and then tossed aside like yesterday's newspaper? Is it possible that Carr could be injured and still trying to lead the team? Answers, please!

:texflag: I'm looking at Carr and not with a camera . I then looked across the field at Green . No I do not blame just Carr but I do believe he's part of the problem . I must have missed all the perfect throws ... oh wait you mean the one to Warfield .
I don't have the man love for Carr like some of you... to me he's not worth an extention . I'd rather take the money and start again building a team .
No I would not draft Lienert either .

I think Carr needs a year under the tutelage of the new regime we are bout to bring in next year. I would not be suprised if you see something comparable to Drew Brees. We are close to that we just need some guys to fill the wholes we have.

The interception wasn't a great throw but Bradford also ran the route wrong, not to mention he put up no fight for the ball, and some of the other balls that appeared to be missed throws were him just throwing the ball away to avoid a sack, but throwing it towards someone rather than out of bounds.

Hulk75 said:
Did you know we are set on giving up the most yards rushing by a Defense EVER.
I did not know that. Can you give us a link for that?

As I sit and watch ESPN News I hope that a Sports Announcer will utter the words, "And Carr from the Texans is fired." But wait, that could only be in mine and some Texan Fan's Dreams!

Outstanding Special Teams Very good game! Perhaps they should play offensive and defensive...

I'm just not ready to jump the gun on David yet. Yeah he makes some bad decisions, but giving up on QBs early can be trouble. Check back with me this time in 2006 with a new system and see what David is doing. Don't want to make a quick judgement TOO early with Carr like the Chargers did with Brees.

DRAFT MARCEDES LEWIS!!! That's Carr's Antonio Gates. :yahoo:

I have to agree, Carr is not a NFL caliber QB and the sooner he is gone and someone else takes over, the sooner the Texans can start winning again. I realize he is not the entire problem but with what is beginning to look like a number 1 pick in the Draft, the Texans should be able to obtain a much better QB. Also, a lot of the other players need to be let go, like Buchanan for one, has he made a tackle since being here? Maybe new management can turn them around in a couple of years. I have been supporting the Houston Teams for 35 years, good or bad, and will continue to do so, but chnges really need to be made now.

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:texflag: I'm looking at Carr and not with a camera . I then looked across the field at Green . No I do not blame just Carr but I do believe he's part of the problem . I must have missed all the perfect throws ... oh wait you mean the one to Warfield .
I don't have the man love for Carr like some of you... to me he's not worth an extention . I'd rather take the money and start again building a team .
No I would not draft Lienert either .
You mean the throw to Bradford in which he didn't even try to get? Yea I saw that one too. You mean the throw where the defense knows what we are going to do because we ran it like 20 times? Maybe we can spread it around a little and utilize the TE and FB in our formations? Nah that won't work either.

oldtexan said:
I have to agree, Carr is not a NFL caliber QB and the sooner he is gone and someone else takes over, the sooner the Texans can start winning again. I realize he is not the entire problem but with what is beginning to look like a number 1 pick in the Draft, the Texans should be able to obtain a much better QB. Also, a lot of the other players need to be let go, like Buchanan for one, has he made a tackle since being here? Maybe new management can turn them around in a couple of years. I have been supporting the Houston Teams for 35 years, good or bad, and will continue to do so, but chnges really need to be made now.
Hey, is this new QB going to play defense?

All I can surmise is that Carr is not as bad as some make it out to be and he is not as good as others think. The answer lies in the middle somewhere and that certainly doew not scale out to the money that we have to pay to pick up his option and the subsequent cap hit.

Some say he needs a better Oline or WR's or TE's or better coaching. This all may be true, but a franchise player finds a way to go outside the resources that are available to them and put it on their own shoulders and get it done. I have not seen it being front and center from him for the last 3.5 years, and when I have it has been few and far between.

We have a lemon of a QB and could not make lemonade. I am of the ilk now that we let David, the coaching staff and Cass go. When you are 1-9 it ususally is good a time to start over. Not having an open discussion on making changes at every position, which includes competiton, would the most asinine pocket veto by this organization.

SESupergenius said:
Hey, is this new QB going to play defense?

SES, although they may go hand-in-hand the majority of the time, there actually is a difference between poor quarterback play and winning/losing games. Just thought I'd fill you in.

David Carr reminds me of Jake Plummer and actually our team and his Arizona team are very similar. They both suck or sucked never got the past tense thing in english. Anyway Plummer had alot of problems and some were his fault some were the team. Carr has the same problem, now Plummer went to Denver received tutelage from our next head coach Gary Kubiak and the guy is killing people and quietly putting up MVP type numbers. So Carr haters I think you make some good points and as a supporter you may just dismiss what I am saying, but why not start lobbying for Kubiak and keep Carr on for one more year under the 5.5 option that would make him easier to move if he does not work out. He just might be the guy you expect him to be. On the other hand he may be terrible and a Ryan Leaf imitator without the horrid issues.

cadahnic said:
David Carr reminds me of Jake Plummer and actually our team and his Arizona team are very similar. They both suck or sucked never got the past tense thing in english. Anyway Plummer had alot of problems and some were his fault some were the team. Carr has the same problem, now Plummer went to Denver received tutelage from our next head coach Gary Kubiak and the guy is killing people and quietly putting up MVP type numbers. So Carr haters I think you make some good points and as a supporter you may just dismiss what I am saying, but why not start lobbying for Kubiak and keep Carr on for one more year under the 5.5 option that would make him easier to move if he does not work out. He just might be the guy you expect him to be. On the other hand he may be terrible and a Ryan Leaf imitator without the horrid issues.

Don't buy the Jake Plummer comparision. Jake at least was orchestrating comebacks while in Arizona. I wish Carr had the moxie Plummer had, instead of the fat contract our team extended him.

:texflag: I think the team gives Carr a no confidence vote . Its not all coaching and its not the WRs are flat out terrible and its not all the OLs fault . It seems the blame never lands on the QB and that is an injustice to the rest of the team and now he could'nt lead a bunch of starving miners to a buffett
We need Falco .

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:texflag: I think the team gives Carr a no confidence vote . Its not all coaching and its not the WRs are flat out terrible and its not all the OLs fault . It seems the blame never lands on the QB and that is an injustice to the rest of the team and now he could'nt lead a bunch of starving miners to a buffett
We need Falco .

One word sums up Carr's career in Houston, implosion.

Carr has played his best football coming from behind. Whether it be KC last year or Jacksonville, Minnesota, or Dallas. I mean Carr has tried also to engineer comebacks. I respect that you do not buy it, but I think the comparison is pretty accurate. Everyone said Plummer was a bust and stared down his receivers and always made a mistake when it was a big play. I remember Phil Simms saying tha Plummer will never be able to win in this league. If Carr goes to another team then that is fine and he may play well or not, likely he will if he goes to a team like Oakland, Arizona, or Baltimore. Arizona and Oakland are quite interested. D. Green has said that Carr has all the intangibles he likes in his QBs and thinks he can make tons of plays if he had the talent around him. I think D. Green knows some things about football. My question is why do you want Carr gone and who do you think will be able to do a better job next year or the year after that. This assuming that other holes in the team will be shored up.

There is one big difference in comparing DC with Plummer, expectations. DC was the first pick in the draft, Jake was not. I would argue that if DC were not the first pick in the draft we would have more money available to spend on other deficiencies.

As far as the four games that were mentioned we only won three of them and I would not classify them as great comebacks where the QB was surgical ala Elway, Marino, Brady etc.

Carr will be better wherever he goes, because he will have to compete and the team will not be exhausting cap space on him as we do, therefore able to get better players around him.

:ok: What would Denny give for Carr ? I think that this team is contaminated with the losing funk and it seems that the only course of action is to clean house . That being said Bob needs to hire a guy like Ron Wolfe to advise on the future of this team and what to do about Carr , Mckinney , Wiegert , Coleman and any other high paid under performing player

We are 1-9 ... you could play rookie free agents making the minimum and be 1-9 . This is a train wreck and nobody should get coddled any longer .

It will be shocking if it happens, but don't be surprised if both Carr and Casserly are back for another run. Capers is clearly gone though.

Can everybody stop harping on Carr? He can only do the plays that are called for him, with the time that is alloted to him.

:texflag: What if Capers played a bad hand for 3yrs and when he lost his veteran leaders he had to fold . Remember their Defense had some great stretches last year and that more than the offense won them games . What if out of the big 3 Cs he might have done the best job . I think he should be let go but not the first .

people harp on Carr because he stank it up against the Chiefs like 6 day old fish. He deserves it. Anyone that can't see that is either related to him, on his payroll in some capacity, or just plain football stoooopid.

Carr is part of the problem. Is he the entire problem, no, not at all. But he IS part of the problem, and specifically his poor playing, bad decisions, and lack of talent.

Now having said that, I don't see him as being totally wasted either. He does show some flash's of competence and instinct, occasionally. I would not be totally opposed to seeing him pick up the 2 year option and see what some new coach's could do to salvage him.

He will not EVER, not here in Houston, or anywhere else he goes, be a GREAT QB. He simply doesn't have the mental facility or overall talent to become one, IMO. But what he could become is an average NFL starting QB, that can learn how to manage the game and not throw the game away via INT's.

thegr8fan said:
people harp on Carr because he stank it up against the Chiefs like 6 day old fish. He deserves it. Anyone that can't see that is either related to him, on his payroll in some capacity, or just plain football stoooopid.

Carr is part of the problem. Is he the entire problem, no, not at all. But he IS part of the problem, and specifically his poor playing, bad decisions, and lack of talent.

Now having said that, I don't see him as being totally wasted either. He does show some flash's of competence and instinct, occasionally. I would not be totally opposed to seeing him pick up the 2 year option and see what some new coach's could do to salvage him.

He will not EVER, not here in Houston, or anywhere else he goes, be a GREAT QB. He simply doesn't have the mental facility or overall talent to become one, IMO. But what he could become is an average NFL starting QB, that can learn how to manage the game and not throw the game away via INT's.

I agree with your evaulation, which means he is drastically overpaid. If he is such a Christian, upstanding, family man, why doesn't he offer to renegiotate an extension? Is that possible? After all, I do believe theft is one of the ten commandements, and right now, the only distinction I see between him and a common criminal is he doesn't hold a gun to Mcnair's head. I also think the fact that he is extremely overpaid is leading to divesisness on the team. People see someone not carrying their load vis-a-vis their salary, and it causes issues.

Porky said:
If he is such a Christian, upstanding, family man, why doesn't he offer to renegiotate an extension? Is that possible? After all, I do believe theft is one of the ten commandements, and right now, the only distinction I see between him and a common criminal is he doesn't hold a gun to Mcnair's head.

Wow, that is just pathetic IMO. There is plenty of room for crticizing Carr's on field performance but the insults, character comments and now I guess accusations of mortal sins that are flying around here are out of line IMO.

I don't know of too many people who go back to their boss and tell him their pay raise was too much and would they take some of it back please, so NO Carr shouldn't do that either, IMHO. If he is being overpaid, and you'll get no argument from me that he ain't playing up to his payscale, that is Casserly's knock, not Carr's, IMHO.

I can see the sense in putting Carr out in FA and seeing what the market is willing to offer him. But I am betting it would be in the neighborhood of a 5.5 million signing bonus. I don't think he would be offered 8 million though. But I am sure that it would come with a multi-year contract offer also. So I would be very happy with the 5.5 million, 2 year option as it seems to 'give a little to get a little'

Back