Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ideal Offseason Scenario

Ok, this ought to be fun.

First, what am I moving for draft collateral? I'd also be saving additional Cap Space with these moves:

1. Trade Clowney. Should return a 2019 RD1 and RD3 / 2020 RD4. UFA 2019. Pro Bowl Season Ups Value.
2. Trade Mercilus. Should return a 2019 RD3. UFA 2020. Down season Drop Trade Value.
3. Trade Miller. Should return a 2019 RD4. UFA 2020. Up season could improve this to RD3.
4. Trade Fuller III. Should return a 2019 RD4. UFA 2022. Consistent Injuries Drop Trade Value.

I could be totally off on the numbers but these moves could add almost 13M to the cap. Clowney's Market value is projected at 16.6M annually which would be a figure I'd like to keep off the books.

This scenario could give the Texans (2) RD1 / (2) RD2 / (3) RD3 / (2) RD4. Which is 9 picks in the first four rounds. They'd have 3 more picks in rounds 5-7. 12 picks in all could get some good answers.

Players I would like to sign not currently with the Texans:

1. LT- Donovan Smith (TB) or LT- Trenton Brown (NE). Bridge for drafted LT.
2. RB- Leveon Bell. I think Texans could offer 3 Year Deal with 2 Years at 20M Guaranteed. It would make him the #2 paid RB. I think he could live with this offer.

Texans FA I would re-sign:

1. SS- Tyrann Mathieu
2. FS- Kareem Jackson
3. WR- Demaryius Thomas
4. RT- Kendall Lamm
5. DT- Christian Covington
6. OT- Seantrel Henderson *Vet Min Deal*
7. LB- Brian Peters
8. DL- Brandon Dunn

I think the Texans have plenty of Cap Space for this shopping list.

I am curious, How long have you had your Crack Addiction Problem?

I am curious, How long have you had your Crack Addiction Problem?
Why you saying something so silly? His post is reasonable and possible. I agree that the trades except Mercilus can be done. Actually think we can get more than Optimistic thinks. Fuller should get a round 2 for team like Green Bay with QB like Rodgers. Miller may be in play for day 3 pick now he's in pro bowl.

Why you saying something so silly? His post is reasonable and possible. I agree that the trades except Mercilus can be done. Actually think we can get more than Optimistic thinks. Fuller should get a round 2 for team like Green Bay with QB like Rodgers. Miller may be in play for day 3 pick now he's in pro bowl.

Not all agree that it is reasonable and possible

I agree it can be done as long as 4 other NFL teams agree to it, 2 players not with us agree to our price tag and no other teams match or beat our offer and 8 current players agree to our price tag and don't think they are worth more or have any other teams offer them a better deal. So as long as everything goes just the way the Texans want it to then it can be done. I get this is the Ideal Off Season thread, and therefore basically fantasy football, but many on here are giving their scenarios as if it would be that easy and the Texans stupid for not going that route.

Everyone seems to forget to make any deal in the NFL requires the other party to agree also. Just like everyone saying we can get team friendly deals, well the players want player friendly deals so what do you do there? Even if we tag someone like Clowney or whatever, who's to say he doesn't get mad and then either not play or just phones it in.

I agree it can be done as long as 4 other NFL teams agree to it, 2 players not with us agree to our price tag and no other teams match or beat our offer and 8 current players agree to our price tag and don't think they are worth more or have any other teams offer them a better deal. So as long as everything goes just the way the Texans want it to then it can be done. I get this is the Ideal Off Season thread, and therefore basically fantasy football, but many on here are giving their scenarios as if it would be that easy and the Texans stupid for not going that route.

Everyone seems to forget to make any deal in the NFL requires the other party to agree also. Just like everyone saying we can get team friendly deals, well the players want player friendly deals so what do you do there? Even if we tag someone like Clowney or whatever, who's to say he doesn't get mad and then either not play or just phones it in.
You can tag and trade Clowney to Green Bay for example. Miller to Pittsburgh to support and spell Conner and Fuller to Green Bay is a reasonable landing place especially if Antonio Brown leaves. A WR in first round to replace Brown and Fuller would be huge for Rodgers. This is not fantasy but solid possibilities.

You can tag and trade Clowney to Green Bay for example. Miller to Pittsburgh to support and spell Conner and Fuller to Green Bay is a reasonable landing place especially if Antonio Brown leaves. A WR in first round to replace Brown and Fuller would be huge for Rodgers. This is not fantasy but solid possibilities.

Except Antonio Brown is a Steeler.

Again that depends on Green Bay agreeing with your assessment. What if they say "Nope, we're good go ahead and keep'em".

Personally, if the Texans were to tag and put Clowney on the market.....I think Las Vegas would have the picks, cap, need and desire to make Clowney a Raider.

Personally, if the Texans were to tag and put Clowney on the market.....I think Las Vegas would have the picks, cap, need and desire to make Clowney a Raider.

If you really think this then you have to be smoking the crack.

I totally agree with "JB".

The Raiders let Mack (a better player than Clowney) go to the Bears for two (2) 1st Round picks. It wasn't that Mack wanted out of Oakland, he just wanted to get paid.

Gruden wants to pick his own players, with an eye to being a really good team when then arrive in Las Vegas in a few years. He is not looking to give up ANY draft picks for high priced veterans this year. Especially when they are likley to be playing in San Diego, this year because they are getting kicked out of Oakland, before their Las Vegas stadium is finished being built.

So no Oakland IS NOT a potential landing spot for your "Madden" trade scenario.

Green Bay has a deeper WR corp than the Texans. Trading a dude with a specific high-level skill (deep ball production) while still financially cheap from a position that already needs upgrading seems anti-roster development. Protection from Fuller's injury issue comes with relative cheap veteran depth and possibly a drafted developmental WR.

Except Antonio Brown is a Steeler.
Should clarify my statement which confuses even me when I re read. I think Clowney could go to Green Bay and as Packers also need a WR, Fuller could fill that need for their second round pick.

Another scenario is Steelers trading Brown to Green Bay for their #12 and #32 ish (Saints). Packers would use one of the firsts they would have for a WR and could also use a second for Fuller to benefit Big Ben. I think their will be landing places for Clowney and Fuller. I like both but we could use picks.

They just traded Mack because they didn't want to pay that kind of money. What makes you think they would want to give up picks to pay that kind of money?
Because it may not have been only a money move. There was info that it was a control move by new coach Gruden. They did get a pretty good offer but I also think he is facing heat for the deal and as I've said Clowney a three time consecutive pro bowler could do that. I am okay with Clowney as a Texan going forward but am open to offers.

Green Bay has a deeper WR corp than the Texans. Trading a dude with a specific high-level skill (deep ball production) while still financially cheap from a position that already needs upgrading seems anti-roster development. Protection from Fuller's injury issue comes with relative cheap veteran depth and possibly a drafted developmental WR.
Agree with all you say but--Randall Cobb 28 YOA UFA with only 383 yards in nine games. He may be gone. Davante Adams is their Hopkins.

Valdes-Scantling is intriguing but has 38 receptions. St. Brown another exciting young WR had 21 receptions 328 yards. J'mon Moore 2 catches 15 yards.

I like Fuller when he is on field. De'Andre Carter is our cheap vet who should be back. Vyncint Smith is our developmental receiver and don't have to use a draft pick to get him. Thomas with reworked contract could be our Randall Cobb. I like our projected corps better than theirs.

If you really think this then you have to be smoking the crack.

I totally agree with "JB".

The Raiders let Mack (a better player than Clowney) go to the Bears for two (2) 1st Round picks. It wasn't that Mack wanted out of Oakland, he just wanted to get paid.

Gruden wants to pick his own players, with an eye to being a really good team when then arrive in Las Vegas in a few years. He is not looking to give up ANY draft picks for high priced veterans this year. Especially when they are likley to be playing in San Diego, this year because they are getting kicked out of Oakland, before their Las Vegas stadium is finished being built.

So no Oakland IS NOT a potential landing spot for your "Madden" trade scenario.
I don't use crack. Raiders could get Clowney for the last of their three firsts [leaving two] plus their 2.35. Your saying Gruden will not trade for vet because they traded Mack is just an opinion. Clowney is locked in for two more seasons and regardless would not cost as much as Mack in all probability. JD would soothe fan anger.

Agree with all you say but--Randall Cobb 28 YOA UFA with only 383 yards in nine games. He may be gone. Davante Adams is their Hopkins.

Valdes-Scantling is intriguing but has 38 receptions. St. Brown another exciting young WR had 21 receptions 328 yards. J'mon Moore 2 catches 15 yards.

I like Fuller when he is on field. De'Andre Carter is our cheap vet who should be back. Vyncint Smith is our developmental receiver and don't have to use a draft pick to get him. Thomas with reworked contract could be our Randall Cobb. I like our projected corps better than theirs.

Our Wr corp is better only with healthy Fuller and still lacking NFL level depth. D. Thomas should not be counted on for anything in 2019 (see injury). Carter has been around but is hardly a veteran due lack of actual NFL snaps and probably a 5th WR and KR long term. IMO, the Texans need a full-sized NFL veteran at a minimum with Fuller.

Personally, not interested nor satisfied with Hopkins and QT and looking for three NFL WRs (which is what trading fuller means)

Our Wr corp is better only with healthy Fuller and still lacking NFL level depth. D. Thomas should not be counted on for anything in 2019 (see injury). Carter has been around but is hardly a veteran due lack of actual NFL snaps and probably a 5th WR and KR long term. IMO, the Texans need a full-sized NFL veteran at a minimum with Fuller.

Personally, not interested nor satisfied with Hopkins and QT and looking for three NFL WRs (which is what trading fuller means)
I am signing Desean Jackson and with a two for Fuller drafting LilJordan Humphrey

I am signing Desean Jackson and with a two for Fuller drafting LilJordan Humphrey

So the older (32), less current productive, more expensive, bad attitude version of the player you already have? Humprey is okay and draftable, but not sure he is off-season plan worthy.

Should clarify my statement which confuses even me when I re read. I think Clowney could go to Green Bay and as Packers also need a WR, Fuller could fill that need for their second round pick.

Another scenario is Steelers trading Brown to Green Bay for their #12 and #32 ish (Saints). Packers would use one of the firsts they would have for a WR and could also use a second for Fuller to benefit Big Ben. I think their will be landing places for Clowney and Fuller. I like both but we could use picks.
I think I'm more confused but I'm not sure.

Because it may not have been only a money move. There was info that it was a control move by new coach Gruden. They did get a pretty good offer but I also think he is facing heat for the deal and as I've said Clowney a three time consecutive pro bowler could do that. I am okay with Clowney as a Texan going forward but am open to offers.

The Raiders aren't making any Clowney type trades until they move to Vegas.

Right now Davis is cash strapped. But these FF trades are alot of fun. Are you still sniffing Bell's jock?

The Raiders aren't making any Clowney type trades until they move to Vegas.

Right now Davis is cash strapped. But these FF trades are alot of fun. Are you still sniffing Bell's jock?

I agree with SB, the Raiders traded Mack because of money issues. They had extended Carr for big bucks and they were worried about having so much cash tied up in 2 players. Gruden also felt their D needed a lot more players to be good (which they do)

The wild card here is Gruden. He loves veterans, they have zero pass rush, and a boatload of picks. So, while I highly doubt they’d make a trade, I wouldn’t be shocked if ended up happening

I don't know, I'm just not seeing any teams that would look at Clowney and go "That's the missing piece to get us to the next level". Not saying he doesn't have value but the teams that would give us something really helpful draft wise are either A: Going into rebuild like Miami is looking at doing or B: still looking for the key offense players like, you know, a QB.

Add to that he's going to want a big money deal and doesn't have a ring like say a Von Miller or the name recognition like a JJ Watt and I just can't see many teams biting. Maybe one of the playoff teams like Chiefs that are pretty happy with their offense and maybe looking to upgrade defense but again would we get the kind of value out of him to make it worth it?

Reactions: JB
I don't know, I'm just not seeing any teams that would look at Clowney and go "That's the missing piece to get us to the next level". Not saying he doesn't have value but the teams that would give us something really helpful draft wise are either A: Going into rebuild like Miami is looking at doing or B: still looking for the key offense players like, you know, a QB.

Add to that he's going to want a big money deal and doesn't have a ring like say a Von Miller or the name recognition like a JJ Watt and I just can't see many teams biting. Maybe one of the playoff teams like Chiefs that are pretty happy with their offense and maybe looking to upgrade defense but again would we get the kind of value out of him to make it worth it?

If I had to guess a team like the Packers maybe. Clowney has more value to the Texans than other teams.

If I had to guess a team like the Packers maybe. Clowney has more value to the Texans than other teams.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

So if I'm reading that right Packers have 41 million to play with and from what I've read Clowney is wanting Mack money so that could be 20+ million. That's a hard hit and on top of that you have a lot of other veteran pass rushers entering the market like Suh for less money. Also Green Bay needs weapons for Rogers so I think that's where their picks and FA money will go. I agree with you, Clowney is worth more to the Texans than other teams but not sure Clowney will see it that way.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

So if I'm reading that right Packers have 41 million to play with and from what I've read Clowney is wanting Mack money so that could be 20+ million. That's a hard hit and on top of that you have a lot of other veteran pass rushers entering the market like Suh for less money. Also Green Bay needs weapons for Rogers so I think that's where their picks and FA money will go. I agree with you, Clowney is worth more to the Texans than other teams but not sure Clowney will see it that way.

Suh is a pass rusher?

Sorry my mistake, article I read was just listing defensive players entering the market and I looked at it wrong then didn't stop to think about if it was correct.

On this list, JDC is #4 overall. Some really nice players there and some will surely hit the market. Seems to me to be a bit of a buyer's market and cost may be a bit lowered

So the older (32), less current productive, more expensive, bad attitude version of the player you already have? Humprey is okay and draftable, but not sure he is off-season plan worthy.
Then you have not watched LILJordan play. I would take Jackson as known over Fuller as known.

Jets is who I'm thinking, if Clowney does get traded. Jets have been hot and heavy for a pass rusher for a year + now. They were in on the Mack sweep stakes, they were trying to trade for Dante Fowler, and according to rumors contacted the Texans near the trade deadline about Clowney's availability. They can easily handle a huge contract and still be one of the best cap positioned teams in FA.

Although I think all of this is moot, I think Clowney stays here

I would go get Tyrell Williams from Chargers. They have a 1st rd pick in Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. Tyrell is a 4.4 guy at 6'4 with production and he's only 26.

I would go get Tyrell Williams from Chargers. They have a 1st rd pick in Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. Tyrell is a 4.4 guy at 6'4 with production and he's only 26.

What do you think the Chargers would want for him?

Back