Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ideal Offseason Scenario

This would be my ideal offseason.

Tag and trade Clowney: get at least a 1st (I think the Raiders have both draft capital and cap space). Clowney has been great for us, but I’m considering health and team needs first. This draft is loaded with defensive talent, and I think with Ejiofor and a draft pick we’d be able to afford the loss of JD.

Sign Mathieu: he’s been a great leader in the secondary, and I feel he’s earned his extension

Sign KJax: he’s had a great season, and has adjusted beautifully to the safety position as well as playing corner.

Draft:
Rd 1- Y. Cajuste, LT
Rd 1- D. Baker, B. Murphy, or B. Hall, CB
Rd 2- D. Risner, OL, Z. Allen, Edge, or C. Lindstrom, OG
Rd 2- K. McGary, RT, D. Montgomery, RB, T. Mullen, CB
Rd 3- D. Walker, Edge, C. Winovich, Edge, C. Wilson, TE, D. Baity, CB
Rd 5- M. Scharping, OT, D. Singletary, RB, H. Froholdt, OG, D. Raymond, TE
Rd 6- BPA
Rd 7- BPA

Tag and trade Clowney: get at least a 1st (I think the Raiders have both draft capital and cap space). Clowney has been great for us, but I’m considering health and team needs first. This draft is loaded with defensive talent, and I think with Ejiofor and a draft pick we’d be able to afford the loss of JD.

Sign Mathieu: he’s been a great leader in the secondary, and I feel he’s earned his extension

Sign KJax: he’s had a great season, and has adjusted beautifully to the safety position as well as playing corner.

Draft:
Rd 1- Y. Cajuste, LT
Rd 6- BPA
Rd 7- BPA
I haven't even thought much about the 2019 draft yet, but why would the Raiders be interested in giving up a 1st round draft pick on an injury prone player who is a FA in 2019? You do recall that Gruden traded one of the top two defensive players in the NFL to Chicago, don't you. You don't trade a known commodity like Mack for a draft pick, regardless of how high, unless you have a player in that draft that you think very highly of. Gruden isn't trading squat to get a player looking for a mega deal.
As far as the draft is concerned, I'd be going BPA at OT, CB, OG, RB, WR in that order. Just start over once you get a WR in the 5th. No reaching out of need or trading up. There are reasons that "stud" players fall in the draft and most of the time, it's legit.

100% agree on re-signing Honey Badger and KJax as safeties. The Texans have got to completely rebuild the CB corps, though. This is at least as important as fixing the OL. The Texans have trash for depth. That Wright guy is slow in more than one way.

Ideal off season scenario?

Brady and Luck both retire, Payton Manning signs on to be our QB coach, Belichick or Sean Payton have an uncontrollable urge to move to Houston and apply to be the new Texans coach and JJ Watt becomes a mondern medical miracle and heals till he is actually in better shape than he was when he was drafted.

Yep, that's my ideal off season scenario.

Edit: Oh and forgot to add Cal tells everyone damn the expense just get this team a ring.

I haven't even thought much about the 2019 draft yet, but why would the Raiders be interested in giving up a 1st round draft pick on an injury prone player who is a FA in 2019? You do recall that Gruden traded one of the top two defensive players in the NFL to Chicago, don't you. You don't trade a known commodity like Mack for a draft pick, regardless of how high, unless you have a player in that draft that you think very highly of. Gruden isn't trading squat to get a player looking for a mega deal.

Because Clowney is a really good football player, especially his run defense. The Raiders might want to go with a known player instead of an unproven draft player. He’d be a leader for the young defense.

I don’t know if they would, but I know teams were interested in him and inquired about trades.

I’m fine with tagging him, but I’d prefer to get draft capital for him.

Because Clowney is a really good football player, especially his run defense. The Raiders might want to go with a known player instead of an unproven draft player. He’d be a leader for the young defense.

I don’t know if they would, but I know teams were interested in him and inquired about trades.

I’m fine with tagging him, but I’d prefer to get draft capital for him.
Even in an "ideal" world, I don't see it happening. There isn't any sort of rationale for it. I certainly wouldn't mind if it happened, though.

As far as the draft is concerned, I'd be going BPA at OT, CB, OG, RB, WR in that order. Just start over once you get a WR in the 5th. No reaching out of need or trading up. There are reasons that "stud" players fall in the draft and most of the time, it's legit.

100% agree on re-signing Honey Badger and KJax as safeties. The Texans have got to completely rebuild the CB corps, though. This is at least as important as fixing the OL. The Texans have trash for depth. That Wright guy is slow in more than one way.

Why does any team sign or trade for veterans? It just happens and yes, if Clowney were to be actively shopped there would be a team a team willing to trade for him. I also think the same could be said for Mercilus and Miller.

@TexansFan15 What do you do with the extra 50 Million in cap space? Let it sit and accumulate interest? I read the cap is even going up to somewhere around 190M as well.

I'm not against your ideas, but why not tag and hold on to Clowney? Game disruptors like that are few and far between and Ejiofor is nowhere near a JDC replacement. I'm in the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE EVERY SINGLE PICK camp. If it happens to satisfy an existing need then its the cherry on top.

@TexansFan15 What do you do with the extra 50 Million in cap space? Let it sit and accumulate interest? I read the cap is even going up to somewhere around 190M as well.

I'm not against your ideas, but why not tag and hold on to Clowney? Game disruptors like that are few and far between and Ejiofor is nowhere near a JDC replacement. I'm in the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE EVERY SINGLE PICK camp. If it happens to satisfy an existing need then its the cherry on top.
Well a lot of that cap space would be on the defensive side of the ball if we tagged and kept him, and we still need OL and CB.

I don’t know what a franchise tag price would be for next year. Is he going to be classified as DE or OLB? That could be anywhere 16-19 million for one year.

I just want to explore all of the options.

So if the best player available is a quarterback would you take them? I never understood this way of thinking, yes you can look at all the rankings or whatever but those same rankings had Trubisky as graded higher than Watson or Mahomes. Also if that best player does nothing to help your team other than adding depth to a position that you didn't even need depth to or you're adding depth when you still have a major need then how have you helped yourself?

Those rankings are just the "experts" crunching a few numbers so they have something to fill empty air time with. There are 32 teams and everyone one of them ranks players differently. We just only get to hear the rankings of the talking heads on TV. If the rankings were the end all, be all then there wouldn't be any busts nor would Tom Brady have ever started a game.

We need to fix the O line and you are not going to be able to do that just with FA, most FA there is a reason for it. Either their team didn't think they were needed or they are looking for a major payday, either way buyer beware. I would have thought Osweiler taught us to be careful when trying to fill major holes with a FA.

Me, I'm in the fix your weaknesses as best you can, FA or draft, and then when you have a team that has no glaring holes that is holding the team back then you can start looking at just taking the best available to add depth.

So if the best player available is a quarterback would you take them? I never understood this way of thinking, yes you can look at all the rankings or whatever but those same rankings had Trubisky as graded higher than Watson or Mahomes. Also if that best player does nothing to help your team other than adding depth to a position that you didn't even need depth to or you're adding depth when you still have a major need then how have you helped yourself?

Those rankings are just the "experts" crunching a few numbers so they have something to fill empty air time with. There are 32 teams and everyone one of them ranks players differently. We just only get to hear the rankings of the talking heads on TV. If the rankings were the end all, be all then there wouldn't be any busts nor would Tom Brady have ever started a game.

We need to fix the O line and you are not going to be able to do that just with FA, most FA there is a reason for it. Either their team didn't think they were needed or they are looking for a major payday, either way buyer beware. I would have thought Osweiler taught us to be careful when trying to fill major holes with a FA.

Me, I'm in the fix your weaknesses as best you can, FA or draft, and then when you have a team that has no glaring holes that is holding the team back then you can start looking at just taking the best available to add depth.

Sigh. Yea dude I'd draft a QB first if he was the best available with Deshaun Watson as my starter. I mean common sense will get you far in life man. So should we use Maverick512000's 2019 NFL draft rankings when making the 'who's better than who' claims? I mean is it really that hard to be able to discern talent in the first few rounds? So you're going to box yourself into a lineman at all costs and pass on a better player just because of position?

We need to fix the OLine? Really? No way? I havent heard that before. Thanks for breaking new ground. So you'd like to 'fix your weaknesses the best way you can' and in that you will pick a LT in the first round even if he's the 4th best LT prospect left? Instead of maybe a 2-3 prospect? Okay cool!

I see almost 70M in cap space, which could turn into more depending on where the cap finally settles for next year and we will draft all our needs, and then spend the money to resign our in house guys (which is nice for a change) and then.....

Not sure what your gripe is really, 'not all things are answered in FA' .. I mean i feel like im reaching a state of Nirvana just reading your posts .. keep it up!

Sigh. Yea dude I'd draft a QB first if he was the best available with Deshaun Watson as my starter. I mean common sense will get you far in life man. So should we use Maverick512000's 2019 NFL draft rankings when making the 'who's better than who' claims? I mean is it really that hard to be able to discern talent in the first few rounds? So you're going to box yourself into a lineman at all costs and pass on a better player just because of position?

We need to fix the OLine? Really? No way? I havent heard that before. Thanks for breaking new ground. So you'd like to 'fix your weaknesses the best way you can' and in that you will pick a LT in the first round even if he's the 4th best LT prospect left? Instead of maybe a 2-3 prospect? Okay cool!

I see almost 70M in cap space, which could turn into more depending on where the cap finally settles for next year and we will draft all our needs, and then spend the money to resign our in house guys (which is nice for a change) and then.....

Not sure what your gripe is really, 'not all things are answered in FA' .. I mean i feel like im reaching a state of Nirvana just reading your posts .. keep it up!

And I feel like I get dumber every time I read yours. You'd draft a quarterback when our O line can't even protect the one we have now? You talk about common sense but then you turn around and say you would draft whoever is the best available, and again you base that either on your own arm chair GMing or based on what talking heads are saying, even if it doesn't fix any of your teams problems? Also yeah apparently it is that hard to discern talent in the first few rounds considering how many round 1s are bust and how many round 3+ turn into the back bone of a team.

Also again you are putting words in my mouth saying I would draft a LT. Please show me where I ever said I would draft a LT in the first round or hell show me where I said I would draft one at all. I said fix the O line, if that means drafting a LT then fine, if that means signing one in FA then fine, if that means shuffling the whole damn line and sticking the Toro on the line hey if it gets the job done then fine. Seriously, stop assuming you know what I'm saying, if I didn't say it, then you don't know it.

Frankly I haven't even looked at the draft class for 2019, so I have no idea what is coming up. I usually wait till more kids have declared or decided to play out their college years and then I barely follow college so even then I don't pay that much attention till after the Super Bowl.

I typically go needs first. I only go BPA when it’s the later rounds and I haven’t researched.

I mean is it really that hard to be able to discern talent in the first few rounds?!

well statistically speaking yes it is. Majority of NFL players who are drafted don't make it in this league, what the first round has like a 50% success rate, and it drops down every round after that.

well statistically speaking yes it is. Majority of NFL players who are drafted don't make it in this league, what the first round has like a 50% success rate, and it drops down every round after that.

and so since those numbers are already so low, wouldnt it be a bad idea to further exacerbate the decision by only entertaining certain players or positions? For the record I agree completely, your information is spot on and should garner some heavy consideration when trying to improve a team. Its a coin flip.

Hopefully a blue chip offensive tackle falls to the high 20s and this discussion is moot. I've already spoken about the defensive depth of this coming draft, and how it would be a real possibility to trade back and acquire more picks and still fill need without a 'project' pick.

I'd identify the primary needs first. In the Texans case, that's LT, RT, OC, WR, CB & OLB in my eyes. I would then go BPLTFAPN (Best Player Available That Feels A Primary Need). If my big board has targets that are sliding, then I have to contemplate a possible trade back if I feel that one of my targets may still be on the board if I move back.

I don't know where this comes from but I highly doubt we trade Clowney and honestly dont even see why, I'm sure a deal that makes sense on both sides will probably happen at some point.

Your way of drafting is how teams end up reaching for a player that is more likely to end up a bust. If you have a particular OL rated with a round 3 grade, are you going to draft him in the 2nd round when you have a 1st round grade on a ILB or CB that fell to the 2nd? The draft is a pure crapshoot. There is no magical formula to identify who should be drafted where, so taking BPA enhances your chances of drafting a player that will make an impact on your team. Your post reminds me of some on here who say "draft a tackle in the 1st, a CB in the 2nd, etc. WHICH tackle do you think will be available when the Texans pick? Lots of teams need OL help and the Texans appear destined to be drafting in the 20's or (hopefully) 30's in 2019.

I would change your "I'm in the fix your weaknesses as best you can, FA or draft" comment to "I'm in the fix your weaknesses as best you can, FA and draft". The two are not mutually exclusive. Drafting BPA isn't just for building depth. It can instantly impact your starting roster and allow a team more flexibility with contracts, etc. What would the Texans do at ILB without McKinney to replace Cushing? Quality competition also helps improve the roster by having young guys push established veterans.

To answer your direct question if a QB is BPA, would I draft him? Not with Watson on the team and the 1st 3 rounds. In the 4th round? Absolutely. You don't do BPA to the point of stupidity. You look at your roster, look at your player grades and look at your weaknesses. No matter how much I need OL help, I'm not reaching for a 3rd round grade in the 2nd. I'm taking the best graded player at positions of need.

That would be a shitty way to win a SB though..

Watson is sacked 6 times, throws just 1 TD to Nuk, defense scores another, Texans have 43 rushing yards, Fairbairn kicks 3 FG, Trubisky throws for 389 yards, 3 TD, Bears kick a 43 yard FG with 0:03 left in the game that doinks off the upright, Texans win 23-21 and are Super Bowl champions. That's still not good enough?

Watson is sacked 6 times, throws just 1 TD to Nuk, defense scores another, Texans have 43 rushing yards, Fairbairn kicks 3 FG, Trubisky throws for 389 yards, 3 TD, Bears kick a 43 yard FG with 0:03 left in the game that doinks off the upright, Texans win 23-21 and are Super Bowl champions. That's still not good enough?

I'd be ecstatic!

To me it's not. It's a collaborated effort. We took care of A in FA, we'll deal with the rest in the draft.

Yeah I thought that was what he was saying... not that they are mutually exclusive of each other in the same offseason

Draft:
Rd 1- Y. Cajuste, LT
Rd 6- BPA
Rd 7- BPA
Great work! Just my thoughts: I am pro Badger

Draft:
Rd 1- Y. Cajuste, LT
Rd 6- BPA
Rd 7- BPA
Appreciate your efforts! Some thoughts: I am pro Badger but recently thinking and working a mock without resigning him. Pruitt and Hal can be starters with K Jack rotating to safety as needed. He should be resigned and IMO more important as he can play SS and corner and about two games ago ranked by PFF as 4th best NFL CB. I hesitate because we have $ to sign him and KJack. Having said this I wish we knew more how Colvin will produce going forward as he did get on field late 4th Q. Joseph keeps growing older but keeps producing and almost as important he is on field regardless of his health. Why not get a starter at corner with one of our top three picks and a quality guy say round five or six?

On your selections, Cajusty could be there as mocks are still all over the place. Even if we lose out we still should draft around #25 ish (we should be about 28 if we win out and go two deep in POs) which becomes more important after round one in getting what we need. Seattle was where I was putting my hopes in round two but they keep hanging around. If you go OT round one he's better start game one. We cannot afford to miss on that pick. After Greedy, my best two corners are Byron Murphy who should be a Darrell Revis type guy and Notre Dame's Love who is third best corner in recent school history. He reminds me of Joseph and always takes opponent's best WR and mostly controls them. Like Johnathan, Love should be a many season player with Pro Bowl nominations sprinkled in his career. If Colvin is not the slot and I'm not sure he could play outside Jackson could play there with a Murphy or Love starting opposite Joseph. I have a guy later rounds who IMO could possibly replace Joseph going into 2020. We could then use a top two round selection to move KJack from starter. If Zach Allen is there in round two I think he would be BPA and I'd probably grab him as he is a Watt type who plays all over the line and just runs for ever over anyone in front of him.

Why do you have Scharping round five I've seen no one having him lower than round one. I've watched him a lot and I think he could go round two but I hope not as I have him at our third rounder, lol. If we could get Zach Allen for Clowney I'd move him.

Enjoyed the read.

Your way of drafting is how teams end up reaching for a player that is more likely to end up a bust. If you have a particular OL rated with a round 3 grade, are you going to draft him in the 2nd round when you have a 1st round grade on a ILB or CB that fell to the 2nd? The draft is a pure crapshoot. There is no magical formula to identify who should be drafted where, so taking BPA enhances your chances of drafting a player that will make an impact on your team. Your post reminds me of some on here who say "draft a tackle in the 1st, a CB in the 2nd, etc. WHICH tackle do you think will be available when the Texans pick? Lots of teams need OL help and the Texans appear destined to be drafting in the 20's or (hopefully) 30's in 2019.

I would change your "I'm in the fix your weaknesses as best you can, FA or draft" comment to "I'm in the fix your weaknesses as best you can, FA and draft". The two are not mutually exclusive. Drafting BPA isn't just for building depth. It can instantly impact your starting roster and allow a team more flexibility with contracts, etc. What would the Texans do at ILB without McKinney to replace Cushing? Quality competition also helps improve the roster by having young guys push established veterans.

To answer your direct question if a QB is BPA, would I draft him? Not with Watson on the team and the 1st 3 rounds. In the 4th round? Absolutely. You don't do BPA to the point of stupidity. You look at your roster, look at your player grades and look at your weaknesses. No matter how much I need OL help, I'm not reaching for a 3rd round grade in the 2nd. I'm taking the best graded player at positions of need.

We're saying the same thing and yes as JB said that is just semantics, of course I don't think if you draft you can't sign a good FA or vice versa. Also, again you said the same thing as the other post in making it sound like I'm saying draft X position first, I'm not.

Honestly I have no idea who will drop to us, or even who has declared for the draft at this point, so it's more of the idea of, instead of drafting say a LT, since that seems to be what everyone thinks I'm saying draft, I'm saying draft what will most help your biggest weakness and for us that's the O line. If that's a LT then fine, if it's a RT then fine, if you, you being coach/GM in this case, think a RB would best help it because they are the bulldoze type that doesn't need blockers then fine.

If you go back and look at the post I was replying to that poster was saying take the BPA every time no matter what to, as you said, the point of stupidity. That is what I most disagree with. If all the legit round 1 players that would help the O line are gone by the time we draft then yeah I would take a serious look at what is left as the BPA and maybe even trading back for more picks in later rounds.

Sharice Wright was played when Colvin could not get back on field and K Jack had to play outside. I've posted before perhaps in response to a post by you, some think Gruden traded Mack for a statement and screwed up. He probably hopes to get Bosa but that isn't looking good right now and even if he did, Raiders don't need Arden Key listed as DE. Clowney has played strong for three seasons and appears as if he will miss only the two games in 2014 and could be a third consecutive Pro Bowl nominee. Sure Texans or whomever need caution but any team controlling his contract can tag him for next two seasons.

Edit:

Man Scharping just opened a hole for about 20+ yards in the Boca Rotan Bowl.

Last edited:

$50? Clowney tag is about $18 m. What am I missing? We could use extra space to go after a vet corner and use some for Mathieu and our other level two free agents like Covington.

I like your thought process. I would draft a developmental QB in Rd 5-7 if there was one that fit our style.

What’s your ranking of current team needs?

I’m very interested to see how he performs in the senior bowl. He could be a sleeper for Rd2-3.
Yeah but no sleeper he has crept steadily up charts and is on most mocks round three. His pass efficiency is really great and this season rated 92.2 allowing only 8 pressures no sacks in 469 passing snaps. He is picture of consistency and has started every game IIRC playing all freshman and sophomore years at RT and junior and senior at LT. He has Greg Little's strength and anchor with Cajusty's agility and feet. I may just talk myself into moving him from round three to round two.

Yeah but no sleeper he has crept steadily up charts and is on most mocks round three. His pass efficiency is really great and this season rated 92.2 allowing only 8 pressures no sacks in 469 passing snaps. He is picture of consistency and has started every game IIRC playing all freshman and sophomore years at RT and junior and senior at LT. He has Greg Little's strength and anchor with Cajusty's agility and feet. I may just talk myself into moving him from round three to round two.
Then I’d definitely be willing to use one of our 2nds on him. I’m hoping he holds up well against the rushers at the Senior Bowl. There’s going to be a lot of talent there this year.

Ok, this ought to be fun.

First, what am I moving for draft collateral? I'd also be saving additional Cap Space with these moves:

1. Trade Clowney. Should return a 2019 RD1 and RD3 / 2020 RD4. UFA 2019. Pro Bowl Season Ups Value.
2. Trade Mercilus. Should return a 2019 RD3. UFA 2020. Down season Drop Trade Value.
3. Trade Miller. Should return a 2019 RD4. UFA 2020. Up season could improve this to RD3.
4. Trade Fuller III. Should return a 2019 RD4. UFA 2022. Consistent Injuries Drop Trade Value.

I could be totally off on the numbers but these moves could add almost 13M to the cap. Clowney's Market value is projected at 16.6M annually which would be a figure I'd like to keep off the books.

This scenario could give the Texans (2) RD1 / (2) RD2 / (3) RD3 / (2) RD4. Which is 9 picks in the first four rounds. They'd have 3 more picks in rounds 5-7. 12 picks in all could get some good answers.

Players I would like to sign not currently with the Texans:

1. LT- Donovan Smith (TB) or LT- Trenton Brown (NE). Bridge for drafted LT.
2. RB- Leveon Bell. I think Texans could offer 3 Year Deal with 2 Years at 20M Guaranteed. It would make him the #2 paid RB. I think he could live with this offer.

Texans FA I would re-sign:

1. SS- Tyrann Mathieu
2. FS- Kareem Jackson
3. WR- Demaryius Thomas
4. RT- Kendall Lamm
5. DT- Christian Covington
6. OT- Seantrel Henderson *Vet Min Deal*
7. LB- Brian Peters
8. DL- Brandon Dunn

I think the Texans have plenty of Cap Space for this shopping list.

Last edited:
I like your thought process. I would draft a developmental QB in Rd 5-7 if there was one that fit our style.

What’s your ranking of current team needs?
OL & CB are the most glaring and I would do my best to address them in that order. I have WR, RB, OLB, ILB in no particular order as other areas of need.

Ok, this ought to be fun.

First, what am I moving for draft collateral? I'd also be saving additional Cap Space with these moves:

1. Trade Clowney. Should return a 2019 RD1 and RD3 / 2020 RD4. UFA 2019. Pro Bowl Season Ups Value.
2. Trade Mercilus. Should return a 2019 RD3. UFA 2020. Down season Drop Trade Value.
3. Trade Miller. Should return a 2019 RD4. UFA 2020. Up season could improve this to RD3.
4. Trade Fuller III. Should return a 2019 RD4. UFA 2022. Consistent Injuries Drop Trade Value.

I could be totally off on the numbers but these moves could add almost 13M to the cap. Clowney's Market value is projected at 16.6M annually which would be a figure I'd like to keep off the books.

This scenario could give the Texans (2) RD1 / (2) RD2 / (3) RD3 / (2) RD4. Which is 9 picks in the first four rounds. They'd have 3 more picks in rounds 5-7. 12 picks in all could get some good answers.

Players I would like to sign not currently with the Texans:

1. LT- Donovan Smith (TB) or LT- Trenton Brown (NE). Bridge for drafted LT.
2. RB- Leveon Bell. I think Texans could offer 3 Year Deal with 2 Years at 20M Guaranteed. It would make him the #2 paid RB. I think he could live with this offer.

Texans FA I would re-sign:

1. SS- Tyrann Mathieu
2. FS- Kareem Jackson
3. WR- Demaryius Thomas
4. RT- Kendall Lamm
5. DT- Christian Covington
6. OT- Seantrel Henderson *Vet Min Deal*
7. LB- Brian Peters
8. DL- Brandon Dunn

I think the Texans have plenty of Cap Space for this shopping list.

you must love franchise mode on madden

you must love franchise mode on madden

Actually, little too old to toy with Madden.....this is my reality. I would make moves to better this team and with a draft this deep in defensive talent, those traded can be replaced and kept for less money over the next 4-5 years. Yeah, these moves could be reality....nothing too far fetched.

Actually, little too old to toy with Madden.....this is my reality. I would make moves to better this team and with a draft this deep in defensive talent, those traded can be replaced and kept for less money over the next 4-5 years. Yeah, these moves could be reality....nothing too far fetched.

So why would another team give up draft picks for a high priced aging player? Or players that can't stay off the trainers table?

Back