Ideal Offseason Scenario

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFan15, Dec 17, 2018.

1. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

This would be my ideal offseason.

Tag and trade Clowney: get at least a 1st (I think the Raiders have both draft capital and cap space). Clowney has been great for us, but I’m considering health and team needs first. This draft is loaded with defensive talent, and I think with Ejiofor and a draft pick we’d be able to afford the loss of JD.

Sign Mathieu: he’s been a great leader in the secondary, and I feel he’s earned his extension

Sign KJax: he’s had a great season, and has adjusted beautifully to the safety position as well as playing corner.

Draft:
    Rd 1- Y. Cajuste, LT
    Rd 1- D. Baker, B. Murphy, or B. Hall, CB
    Rd 2- D. Risner, OL, Z. Allen, Edge, or C. Lindstrom, OG
    Rd 2- K. McGary, RT, D. Montgomery, RB, T. Mullen, CB
    Rd 3- D. Walker, Edge, C. Winovich, Edge, C. Wilson, TE, D. Baity, CB
    Rd 5- M. Scharping, OT, D. Singletary, RB, H. Froholdt, OG, D. Raymond, TE
    Rd 6- BPA
    Rd 7- BPA

badboy and OptimisticTexan like this.
  2. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I haven't even thought much about the 2019 draft yet, but why would the Raiders be interested in giving up a 1st round draft pick on an injury prone player who is a FA in 2019? You do recall that Gruden traded one of the top two defensive players in the NFL to Chicago, don't you. You don't trade a known commodity like Mack for a draft pick, regardless of how high, unless you have a player in that draft that you think very highly of. Gruden isn't trading squat to get a player looking for a mega deal.
    As far as the draft is concerned, I'd be going BPA at OT, CB, OG, RB, WR in that order. Just start over once you get a WR in the 5th. No reaching out of need or trading up. There are reasons that "stud" players fall in the draft and most of the time, it's legit.

100% agree on re-signing Honey Badger and KJax as safeties. The Texans have got to completely rebuild the CB corps, though. This is at least as important as fixing the OL. The Texans have trash for depth. That Wright guy is slow in more than one way.

gafftop, Corrosion, Lucky and 3 others like this.
  3. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Ideal off season scenario?

Brady and Luck both retire, Payton Manning signs on to be our QB coach, Belichick or Sean Payton have an uncontrollable urge to move to Houston and apply to be the new Texans coach and JJ Watt becomes a mondern medical miracle and heals till he is actually in better shape than he was when he was drafted.

Yep, that's my ideal off season scenario.

Edit: Oh and forgot to add Cal tells everyone damn the expense just get this team a ring.

bigmck, CWTexansFan and ATXtexanfan like this.
  4. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Because Clowney is a really good football player, especially his run defense. The Raiders might want to go with a known player instead of an unproven draft player. He’d be a leader for the young defense.

I don’t know if they would, but I know teams were interested in him and inquired about trades.

I’m fine with tagging him, but I’d prefer to get draft capital for him.

5. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Ideal offseason scenario? Figure out best spot to view the parade, and hope that Cal gives out rings to the fans like Crane did.

6. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Even in an "ideal" world, I don't see it happening. There isn't any sort of rationale for it. I certainly wouldn't mind if it happened, though.

7. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Why does any team sign or trade for veterans? It just happens and yes, if Clowney were to be actively shopped there would be a team a team willing to trade for him. I also think the same could be said for Mercilus and Miller.

8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

@TexansFan15 What do you do with the extra 50 Million in cap space? Let it sit and accumulate interest? I read the cap is even going up to somewhere around 190M as well.

I'm not against your ideas, but why not tag and hold on to Clowney? Game disruptors like that are few and far between and Ejiofor is nowhere near a JDC replacement. I'm in the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE EVERY SINGLE PICK camp. If it happens to satisfy an existing need then its the cherry on top.

9. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Well a lot of that cap space would be on the defensive side of the ball if we tagged and kept him, and we still need OL and CB.

I don’t know what a franchise tag price would be for next year. Is he going to be classified as DE or OLB? That could be anywhere 16-19 million for one year.

I just want to explore all of the options.

Uncle Rico and OptimisticTexan like this.
  10. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

So if the best player available is a quarterback would you take them? I never understood this way of thinking, yes you can look at all the rankings or whatever but those same rankings had Trubisky as graded higher than Watson or Mahomes. Also if that best player does nothing to help your team other than adding depth to a position that you didn't even need depth to or you're adding depth when you still have a major need then how have you helped yourself?

Those rankings are just the "experts" crunching a few numbers so they have something to fill empty air time with. There are 32 teams and everyone one of them ranks players differently. We just only get to hear the rankings of the talking heads on TV. If the rankings were the end all, be all then there wouldn't be any busts nor would Tom Brady have ever started a game.

We need to fix the O line and you are not going to be able to do that just with FA, most FA there is a reason for it. Either their team didn't think they were needed or they are looking for a major payday, either way buyer beware. I would have thought Osweiler taught us to be careful when trying to fill major holes with a FA.

Me, I'm in the fix your weaknesses as best you can, FA or draft, and then when you have a team that has no glaring holes that is holding the team back then you can start looking at just taking the best available to add depth.

11. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Sigh. Yea dude I'd draft a QB first if he was the best available with Deshaun Watson as my starter. I mean common sense will get you far in life man. So should we use Maverick512000's 2019 NFL draft rankings when making the 'who's better than who' claims? I mean is it really that hard to be able to discern talent in the first few rounds? So you're going to box yourself into a lineman at all costs and pass on a better player just because of position?

We need to fix the OLine? Really? No way? I havent heard that before. Thanks for breaking new ground. So you'd like to 'fix your weaknesses the best way you can' and in that you will pick a LT in the first round even if he's the 4th best LT prospect left? Instead of maybe a 2-3 prospect? Okay cool!

I see almost 70M in cap space, which could turn into more depending on where the cap finally settles for next year and we will draft all our needs, and then spend the money to resign our in house guys (which is nice for a change) and then.....

Not sure what your gripe is really, 'not all things are answered in FA' .. I mean i feel like im reaching a state of Nirvana just reading your posts .. keep it up!

mussop and Corrosion like this.
  12. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

And I feel like I get dumber every time I read yours. You'd draft a quarterback when our O line can't even protect the one we have now? You talk about common sense but then you turn around and say you would draft whoever is the best available, and again you base that either on your own arm chair GMing or based on what talking heads are saying, even if it doesn't fix any of your teams problems? Also yeah apparently it is that hard to discern talent in the first few rounds considering how many round 1s are bust and how many round 3+ turn into the back bone of a team.

Also again you are putting words in my mouth saying I would draft a LT. Please show me where I ever said I would draft a LT in the first round or hell show me where I said I would draft one at all. I said fix the O line, if that means drafting a LT then fine, if that means signing one in FA then fine, if that means shuffling the whole damn line and sticking the Toro on the line hey if it gets the job done then fine. Seriously, stop assuming you know what I'm saying, if I didn't say it, then you don't know it.

Frankly I haven't even looked at the draft class for 2019, so I have no idea what is coming up. I usually wait till more kids have declared or decided to play out their college years and then I barely follow college so even then I don't pay that much attention till after the Super Bowl.

13. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

I typically go needs first. I only go BPA when it’s the later rounds and I haven’t researched.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  14. Max

Max All Pro

Wait, are you Rick Smith?

Corrosion and Uncle Rico like this.
  15. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Not the last time I checked. I’m just saying I haven’t gotten around to researching the further ranked players yet.

There’s 2 CBS I like, but I still have more work to do.

Max likes this.
  16. Max

Max All Pro

Using CBS? I'm still not convinced you're not him.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  17. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

well statistically speaking yes it is. Majority of NFL players who are drafted don't make it in this league, what the first round has like a 50% success rate, and it drops down every round after that.

noxiousdog likes this.
  18. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

and so since those numbers are already so low, wouldnt it be a bad idea to further exacerbate the decision by only entertaining certain players or positions? For the record I agree completely, your information is spot on and should garner some heavy consideration when trying to improve a team. Its a coin flip.

Hopefully a blue chip offensive tackle falls to the high 20s and this discussion is moot. I've already spoken about the defensive depth of this coming draft, and how it would be a real possibility to trade back and acquire more picks and still fill need without a 'project' pick.

19. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Two tackles, two corners, at least one guard. That's all I'm askin'.

20. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I'd identify the primary needs first. In the Texans case, that's LT, RT, OC, WR, CB & OLB in my eyes. I would then go BPLTFAPN (Best Player Available That Feels A Primary Need). If my big board has targets that are sliding, then I have to contemplate a possible trade back if I feel that one of my targets may still be on the board if I move back.

DocBar likes this.