Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How many of you aren't in Houston?

Where you at?

• Total voters
Apparently there's a lot of Muff-huggas NOT in Houston... They're all up in Dallas given that Texan fan turn-out yesterday!!

The Texans may have lost a heartbreaker in "Little-D" BUT Texans fans certainly won the day!! Much props to all y'all that made it to the game!!

HAHA!! The 'Gurls had to go to a silent count???? AEWSOMENESS!!!

Copenhagen, Denmark :)

Skoal, brother.
hqdefault.jpg

I know, I know... but somebody had to do it.

Originally from Sussex, England - now living in Vancouver though.

I think JJ's highlight reeling is helping get the international audience to get in touch with their brisket lovin', Cowboy hatin' dark side! :swatter:

I think JJ's highlight reeling is helping get the international audience to get in touch with their brisket lovin', Cowboy hatin' dark side! :swatter:
What's the Texans connection?

I will have to try that brisket thing one of these days. Is it hard to do?

I will have to try that brisket thing one of these days. Is it hard to do?

Not at all although you can spend forever trying to get it perfect. But basically you want to cook low heat for a very long time. You can google up a million descriptions for cooking it.

That's not bad. I'd add some powdered garlic to the rub and cook for longer. You could swap out the liquids they are using with beer. Just keep adding some as time goes by.

I would avoid liquid smoke like the plague. Instead soak some wood chips of your choice and then put some in a separate small pan or open foil in the oven. Monitor it and as they get dried out replace them with new soaked chips.

Good luck.

Can you even get brisket in Italy?
Never been there so I don't know.

probably not, the meat cuts are different. I think that maybe I can get my hands on something similar :)

but I have yet to look into it

-edit-

as per wikipedia:
wiki said:
In Italian cuisine, brisket is used to prepare bollito misto, a typical Northern Italy recipe.

so I should be able to find it.

a lot actually, not only the animals are different (i guess) but also the way you cut the pieces.

not only for beef, also pork and horse

but I don't know if you eat that, probably not
Soooo when I buy prosciutto or salami from Spec's I better check to see if there's horse in it?

somewhere cows are going
:cow::cow::cow:

Soooo when I buy prosciutto or salami from Spec's I better check to see if there's horse in it?

somewhere cows are going
:cow::cow::cow:

hahaha

both prosciutto and salame are made from pork :pigfly:

prosciutto should be in one piece (the thigh) so no horse in there
salame is from grinded meat, so maybe...

however horse meat shouldn't be in there, if it is, then that's some kind of scam (see IKEA's meatballs of some time ago)

actually here if you want horse meat you have to pay more than beef/pork, because those are farmed specifically for the meat

horse meat in the IKEA meatballs was most likely from race horses (you don't want to eat that!)

a lot actually, not only the animals are different (i guess) but also the way you cut the pieces.

Only a few places serve horse in the US and it is only recently back on the menu legally most places. There are just recently slaughter houses setting up for commercial production.

But it's tough as Americans think of horses as pets.

News to me. I was stationed there for three years. I do realize that they raise their pork differently than we do and also realized they don't have the same opportunity to beef that we have, BUT, I didn't think it was slaughtered any differently.

Interesting! :thinking:

*EDIT*
And yes, I was not surprised to the horse reference. I ate plenty of horse in Germany.

News to me. I was stationed there for three years. I do realize that they raise their pork differently than we do and also realized they don't have the same opportunity to beef that we have, BUT, I didn't think it was slaughtered any differently.

Interesting! :thinking:

*EDIT*
And yes, I was not surprised to the horse reference. I ate plenty of horse in Germany.

I don't know about the raising part, but I think more or less each coutry has it's own way of cutting the different meats.

I don't know about the raising part, but I think more or less each coutry has it's own way of cutting the different meats.

The raising difference is mainly in pork. America is raising much more lean pigs than 20 years ago.

And horse is good. All my kids have had it in Europe. It's just a foreign concept to most Americans.

The raising difference is mainly in pork. America is raising much more lean pigs than 20 years ago.

And horse is good. All my kids have had it in Europe. It's just a foreign concept to most Americans.

people can get all worked up about which meat you can and you cannot eat, personally I'll eat any meat provided it's either from wild animal or from animals raised specifically for their meat

hahaha

both prosciutto and salame are made from pork
:pigfly:

prosciutto should be in one piece (the thigh) so no horse in there
salame is from grinded meat, so maybe...

however horse meat shouldn't be in there, if it is, then that's some kind of scam (see IKEA's meatballs of some time ago)

actually here if you want horse meat you have to pay more than beef/pork, because those are farmed specifically for the meat

horse meat in the IKEA meatballs was most likely from race horses (you don't want to eat that!)
That's what I thought until I clicked that link you posted under horse.

That's what I thought until I clicked that link you posted under horse.

Of course you can find the horse version :)
But it is written if it's made from horse, like burgers. Usually they are from cow meat but you can find turkeyburgers and veggyburgers

people can get all worked up about which meat you can and you cannot eat, personally I'll eat any meat provided it's either from wild animal or from animals raised specifically for their meat

For some reason, while I have no problem with horse meat, I still have a problem with dog or cat meat... :Creepy:

For some reason, while I have no problem with horse meat, I still have a problem with dog or cat meat... :Creepy:

I won't have any problem eating dog if it was a breed of dog that evolved alongside humans specifically for meat (like pigs did)

Of course I wouldnt try to eat the occasional labrador that goes under a truck on the street by my house :D

spiders/insects/snails is where I draw the line

I won't have any problem eating dog if it was a breed of dog that evolved alongside humans specifically for meat (like pigs did)

Of course I wouldnt try to eat the occasional labrador that goes under a truck on the street by my house :D

spiders/insects/snails is where I draw the line

I'm certain we eat a lot of varmints we are unaware of every day. But I have no psychological hang up about the source of the meat. You get it where you can find it when the situation warrants. I do have a revulsion for the exotic foods that use rotting or digestion as a preparatory phase prior to it's consumption though.

ps Spiders are everywhere and I'm sure you've already consumed them/insects are the same/snails are actually quite tasty as escargot with a texture like overcooked oysters.

I'm certain we eat a lot of varmints we are unaware of every day. But I have no psychological hang up about the source of the meat. You get it where you can find it when the situation warrants. I do have a revulsion for the exotic foods that use rotting or digestion as a preparatory phase prior to it's consumption though.

ps Spiders are everywhere and I'm sure you've already consumed them/insects are the same/snails are actually quite tasty as escargot with a texture like overcooked oysters.

I tried escargot but didn't like it.
I'm not bothered with the accidental insect I could have eaten, just I wouldn't try a fried locust or something like that

maybe if it was processed in such a way the source wouldn't be recognizable I could try it.

I am a bit arachnophobic so maybe that's the hold up

I'm not bothered with the accidental insect I could have eaten, just I wouldn't try a fried locust or something like that

maybe if it was processed in such a way the source wouldn't be recognizable I could try it.

I am a bit arachnophobic so maybe that's the hold up

I understand. I'm just well aware that we are exposed to much more than we realize. Intentional eating of insects usually involves a chocolate covering for many.

Addiction vs Revulsion! WHO WILL WIN!

And they didn't throw you out of Italy?

Seriously, try it again a time or two before drawing a conclusion. It varies wildly. I can cook (intentionally) a steak you would freaking hate. You wouldn't want to draw the wrong conclusion due to one bad experience.

And they didn't throw you out of Italy?

Seriously, try it again a time or two before drawing a conclusion. It varies wildly. I can cook (intentionally) a steak you would freaking hate. You wouldn't want to draw the wrong conclusion due to one bad experience.

well technically escargot is a french word :)

my grandmother makes them (and I'm told she's very good at it) and I've tried them in a couple of restaurants that are famous for that dish, but still I don't like the taste.

It's surprising really, cause usually I can eat almost anything

I also tried these guys and I didn't like 'em (I don't even know how they are called in italian, I just know how they are called in venetian)

well technically escargot is a french word :)

my grandmother makes them (and I'm told she's very good at it) and I've tried them in a couple of restaurants that are famous for that dish, but still I don't like the taste.

It's surprising really, cause usually I can eat almost anything

I tell my kids I don't expect them to like anything, I just expect them to try it. I dislike things too. I have never had tongue I liked.

I also tried these guys and I didn't like 'em (I don't even know how they are called in italian, I just know how they are called in venetian)

I'm guessing you mean they served them whole somehow? I don't eat softshell crab except in sushi and there it is excellent.

Buy a ticket and come on down. The hill country of Texas looks an awful like parts of Italy. Bring a whole freakin' prosciutto and we'll trade out brisket and ribs.

hahaha maybe as a present to myself for my PhD when i'll get it!

and I want to go to a texans game also :fans:

Oh dude...
I LOVE that stuff.
I get mine from Sambuca's in downtown Houston.

Escargot En Croute

with lemon & garlic butter, spinach & smoked gouda, topped with puff pastry

Yum! I wish there was someplace down in Clear Lake where I could get it.

What's the Texans connection?

My Texan's connection? Well - back in England I used stay up pretty late and started casually watching football after years of criticising it as "rugby for softies in armor". I started watching properly in 2005, and toward the end of that season, I decided I needed a team to root for, and coming from a soccer background where everyone would bandwagon the biggest names such as Manchester United and Liverpool - I decided to make the most un-bandwagony team the one I'd follow.

Unfortunately for everyone here, the Texans happened to be on a roll toward a 2-14 record at that point - so Houston it was for me (although I already had a soft spot towards "Texan" football culture anyhow through things like the Friday Night Lights book/movie). I lurked around this forum for a while until I felt capable of contribution about football above "wow - that dude just got knocked the heck out!".

I have been to Houston once though - back in 2009 during a flight from DC to Vancouver I connected via IAH, and had the pleasure of sitting in the Fox Sports Bar for a few hours having a cold one, staring at the giant banner picture of David Carr, wondering how the heck no one had ripped it down in the 2 years since he left town.

My Texan's connection? Well - back in England I used stay up pretty late and started casually watching football after years of criticising it as "rugby for softies in armor". I started watching properly in 2005, and toward the end of that season, I decided I needed a team to root for, and coming from a soccer background where everyone would bandwagon the biggest names such as Manchester United and Liverpool - I decided to make the most un-bandwagony team the one I'd follow.

Unfortunately for everyone here, the Texans happened to be on a roll toward a 2-14 record at that point - so Houston it was for me (although I already had a soft spot towards "Texan" football culture anyhow through things like the Friday Night Lights book/movie). I lurked around this forum for a while until I felt capable of contribution about football above "wow - that dude just got knocked the heck out!".

I have been to Houston once though - back in 2009 during a flight from DC to Vancouver I connected via IAH, and had the pleasure of sitting in the Fox Sports Bar for a few hours having a cold one, staring at the giant banner picture of David Carr, wondering how the heck no one had ripped it down in the 2 years since he left town.

oh so you joined last year, welcome!

:troll:

Back