Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How Important Are Lockout Workouts?

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I've seen the thread about the Texans workouts and being a Cowboy fan have been following the Cowboys all off season. They have one of the highest turnouts per workout in the league at 40-45 guys per session. However some teams like the Giants and others think it is overrated and not needed. I'm a big believer that teams that succeed form bonds, leaders emerge and there is this "us against them" mentality when you start and get into seasons. You aren't being coached up or performing top stuff but you are definitely with teammates and getting in some sort of shape. Tuck is a loudmouth by the way..:)

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=535819&feedID=3742

DALLAS — Some folks believe Tony Romo's leadership during the current NFL lockout is somewhat of a breakthrough for the star-crossed quarterback. He has cajoled many of his teammates into giving up time in Malibu, Calif., to show up for player-organized workouts that, by all accounts, have been attended by 40-45 players at a time.

Meanwhile, we've heard Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclin scoff at those types of workouts, indicating that little can be accomplished. Video footage of Giants workouts suggests that quarterback Eli Manning hasn't had much company.

Cowboys linebacker Keith Brooking has told me throughout the offseason that his teammates, however, have been incredibly serious about the workouts and that he believes it will pay off once the regular season begins. On Tuesday, I called one of the biggest straight shooters in the league, Giants Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Tuck, to get his take on just how much can be gained from these sessions.

Told the Cowboys had as many as 45 players showing up to practice at a secret location, Tuck deadpanned, "They need the work."

In fact, he thinks some teams (not the Cowboys, he noted) are simply mugging for the cameras.

"We've had two sessions," said Tuck of his team. "The one thing about the Giants is, we don't love seeing ourselves on ESPN. Just because people don't hear us doing stuff doesn't mean we haven't been doing it. Eli, myself, Shaun O'Hara, lots of guys stepping up. We got done what we needed to get done. And because of my travel schedule this offseason, I wasn't able to be there as long as I wanted to be there. I made it a couple days. I'm happy with what we've done this offseason. I think we have a very veteran football team. A football team that knows what we need to do to get back to what we want to be. When this lockout is over and it's all said and done, I think we'll be in a great place to go back and compete for another Super Bowl title."

I think that the work-outs are more important for some units.

Like when I used to play in highschool and college, the O-line would get together and block dummies...We'd go over our assignments, practice our steps, our calls...We'd line the "defense" up in different formations and we'd form a good sense of timing and comunication between us all...

Tuck is a D-lineman so I can see why the team work-outs wouldn't matter much to him...But QB's, DB's LB's, and WR's, TE's and RB's need that work....

D-lineman and O-linemen don't get a whole lot out of it...Especially D-linemen...

I think that the work-outs are more important for some units.

Like when I used to play in highschool and college, the O-line would get together and block dummies...We'd go over our assignments, practice our steps, our calls...We'd line the "defense" up in different formations and we'd form a good sense of timing and comunication between us all...

Tuck is a D-lineman so I can see why the team work-outs wouldn't matter much to him...But QB's, DB's LB's, and WR's, TE's and RB's need that work....

D-lineman and O-linemen don't get a whole lot out of it...Especially D-linemen...

Agree. In high school we worked out and ran all summer but the season didn't officially start until we did conditioning for a week and our 2 a day football camp the week after that. Up until then we threw balls, went over sets, etc and it helped. It was also good to be around the guys. The lineman would go over calls and all..that helps..but it was harder to gauge their work without someone rushing, etc. Overall though I think the "team" function of it is good. Maybe in the pros they don't think like we did though.

Depends on the team I think. The Packers haven't had any workouts but I doubt it has any effect on them once they hit the field.

Back