How Important Are Lockout Workouts?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by HoustonFrog, Jun 30, 2011.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I've seen the thread about the Texans workouts and being a Cowboy fan have been following the Cowboys all off season. They have one of the highest turnouts per workout in the league at 40-45 guys per session. However some teams like the Giants and others think it is overrated and not needed. I'm a big believer that teams that succeed form bonds, leaders emerge and there is this "us against them" mentality when you start and get into seasons. You aren't being coached up or performing top stuff but you are definitely with teammates and getting in some sort of shape. Tuck is a loudmouth by the way..:)

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=535819&feedID=3742

2. Rey

Rey Guest

I think that the work-outs are more important for some units.

Like when I used to play in highschool and college, the O-line would get together and block dummies...We'd go over our assignments, practice our steps, our calls...We'd line the "defense" up in different formations and we'd form a good sense of timing and comunication between us all...

Tuck is a D-lineman so I can see why the team work-outs wouldn't matter much to him...But QB's, DB's LB's, and WR's, TE's and RB's need that work....

D-lineman and O-linemen don't get a whole lot out of it...Especially D-linemen...

3. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Agree. In high school we worked out and ran all summer but the season didn't officially start until we did conditioning for a week and our 2 a day football camp the week after that. Up until then we threw balls, went over sets, etc and it helped. It was also good to be around the guys. The lineman would go over calls and all..that helps..but it was harder to gauge their work without someone rushing, etc. Overall though I think the "team" function of it is good. Maybe in the pros they don't think like we did though.

4. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

Let me translate for you guys.

Tuck: "Why you aint take no advantage of da lockout, son?"

AnthonyE likes this.
  5. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Depends on the team I think. The Packers haven't had any workouts but I doubt it has any effect on them once they hit the field.