Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How does this Young quote sound?

Texans86

Rookie
In an article from CNN sportsline, Vince Young is quoted "I'm going to go after the Texans' guys for passing me up." That's all they get him as saying.

I really do question where his mind is sometimes. Tunnel vision maybe, but he still has 14 other games a season, and usually those are more important. He knew well beforehand he wasn't being drafted, and yet still refused to believe it. Maybe the rumored 6 wasn't too far off, he doesn't seem too bright.

Well, hopefully the Titans coaches can mold him into something, it's going to take a lot of time and effort. Good Luck to him in the future.

i'd like to hear the whole interview.. media has a way of picking bits and pieces out so you end up having a "Three's Company" moment

Sounds exactly why I wanted him in the first place...a fiery competitor. I'd want to make my hometown Houston pay for passing me too.

That's a good quote. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. He uses the negative criticism to motivate himself and play harder.

Texans86 said:
In an article from CNN sportsline, Vince Young is quoted "I'm going to go after the Texans' guys for passing me up." That's all they get him as saying.

I really do question where his mind is sometimes. Tunnel vision maybe, but he still has 14 other games a season, and usually those are more important. He knew well beforehand he wasn't being drafted, and yet still refused to believe it. Maybe the rumored 6 wasn't too far off, he doesn't seem too bright.

Well, hopefully the Titans coaches can mold him into something, it's going to take a lot of time and effort. Good Luck to him in the future.

NFL probably told him to say that..go ahead and amplify the HOU-TEN rivalry. Free publicity.

chuckm said:
we can worry about that in a few years ....
Well you were dead wrong with your take that he would fall like a rock in the draft...and I think you are wrong that he won't play for a few years. He plays this year...and starts I believe...JMO!

Wolf said:
i'd like to hear the whole interview.. media has a way of picking bits and pieces out so you end up having a "Three's Company" moment

I agree with that quote. Are you really going to have faith in what the media displays? I mean after listenening to ESPN for the past 4 months I thought i would be getting a Bush or Young jersey for my goddaughter...seems like the Texans had other plans.

The only thing that counts is when we face him, Lendale White and the Titans.

I support what he says -- he should want to go after the Texans. Rivalaries are hard to build and any new franchise needs to find a major competitor to hype each season. Big games like the Cowboys vs. Redskins Oakland vs. Chiefs etc. -- if the Titans turn out to be the Texans hated rival then that's a great thing IMO.

Vinny said:
Well you were dead wrong with your take that he would fall like a rock in the draft...and I think you are wrong that he won't play for a few years. He plays this year...and starts I believe...JMO!

please go find my post that predicted he would drop like a rock .... the only prediction I made was that Bush would go #1 .... we know how that turned out ...

bigcarlos said:
Mario and the rest our D-line:superman:
Yeah I can see it now: Week 17, winner of the Titans/Texans game gets the last playoff spot in the AFC, the game is in Houston, Texans up by 4 and it's 4th and goal from the 6 yard line and VY does to Mario and Texans what he did to that DE that dived in the USC game, lol.

All he can do is a zone read, one reciever ooops... hes not open RUN (as pointed out by all the talking heads). We might see him in 2 years.

Wolf said:

I heard the interview and he reminded me of my 6 y/o grandson who gets TERRIBLY pouty when he doesn't get what he wants. Very childish IMHO!!

Tale Gator said:
The way you've been nailing predictions around here lately I guess we can expect Vince to be starting by mid-season.

you'll want to go back through my posts and find the prediction I assume .....

I expected no less from Vince. He wants to win. He wants to be the best. When someone says he isn't the best (i.e. the Heisman, the draft), he wants to prove them wrong. Every game is a must win. And none of them are "must play well".

Vinny said:

I agree. I think he'll end up playing sooner than anyone expects. Partly because he shows the capacity to improve at rapid pace, and partly because his level of readiness is underrated right now.

Tulip said:
I agree. I think he'll end up playing sooner than anyone expects. Partly because he shows the capacity to improve at rapid pace, and partly because his level of readiness is underrated right now.

I think he'll play early as well, but I don't think he has the best situation there in TEN. Not expecting a Big Ben type rookie year if he plays.

wags said:
I think he'll play early as well, but I don't think he has the best situation there in TEN. Not expecting a Big Ben type rookie year if he plays.

Wonder how he takes to losing then, since he hasn't done it much, ever. It could be a wake up call.

Texans86 said:
In an article from CNN sportsline, Vince Young is quoted "I'm going to go after the Texans' guys for passing me up."
sniff sniff sniff :crying: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:crying: :crying:
mommy they didnt pick me. Boooooohooooooo:crying: The big kids wouldn't let me play with them. Mom make them want to play with me....................

I'll get you one day my pretty, and your little dog too.

wags said:

I agree. Big Ben is definitely the exception. He was very fortunate to go at 11 to a good team that had a bad season.

As much as I wanted us to draft Vince Young #1 overall, I hope Mario breaks him in half. The same goes for Leftwich, Manning, and any other opposing QB in the NFL.

Fiddy said:
VY will never allow himself to be sacked by Mario, lol...

Would never happen. Mobile QBs never get sacked. For that matter, Vince will go 16-0 this season. Next week he is going to call down lightning on Reliant Stadium and burn it to the ground.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
As much as I wanted us to draft Vince Young #1 overall, I hope Mario breaks him in half. The same goes for Leftwich, Manning, and any other opposing QB in the NFL.

I think Mario can help us beat Peyton and get to Vince, however, with Vince I think we need a stud "in the box" type safety. If only we had......

VY was my favorite player while he was here in Austin. Some consider him the greatest Longhorn of all time. Debatable, but I tend to agree. I've waited my whole life for UT to win the National Championship, and he made it happen.

That's over now. Now I hope the guy hears train whistles all day long when he plays us. We brought in the guys to make that happen.

Jevan Snead should be coming out in 4 years.....:stirpot:

Texans86 said:
Makes me like him even more!!!!!!!

It would be nice if Carr had a little "fire in his belly". More of that "IT" factor we like to argued about on this board all the time. Its the difference between winners/leaders (Vince Young) and losers/followers (David Carr).

CoastalTexan said:
All he can do is a zone read, one reciever ooops... hes not open RUN (as pointed out by all the talking heads). We might see him in 2 years.

If Vince plays next year, any decent NFL Defensive Coordinator will have his mind scrambled by the second series of the game. Vince will see so many looks, faints, blizes, he will have the deer in the headlights look.

Vince will be sacked twice by his fifth passing attempt. The next time he feels pressure he throws it up for grabs into double coverage and gets picked off.

Welcome to the NFL kiddo......

I hate to sound too negative about him... but if Vince plays TOO soon.. he will end up another Andre Ware..

Wharton said:
Makes me like him even more!!!!!!!

It would be nice if Carr had a little "fire in his belly". More of that "IT" factor we like to argued about on this board all the time. Its the difference between winners/leaders (Vince Young) and losers/followers (David Carr).
Thats why the "IT" factor will be riding the pine all year watching Billy Volick play ahead of him.

All David Carr has done over the last four years was start right away play hard, compete, and try and guide such star powered steller players such as Matt Stevens, Demingo Grahm, and James Allen.

Took five years, but after this draft, this finally looks like a real football team from the top down.

Nothing wrong with what he said. Randy Moss made teams pay. I'm sure Jordan had some of that in him when he got snubbed. Hakeem did it when he didn't get the MVP. I like that type of person.

Hulk75 said:
Well come get some cause Mario is ready I am sure, that is a pretty stupid thing to say, play your first down in a NFL game then tell me if you want to shoot your mouth off big dog.

Did Mario play in the NFL last year? Must have missed it.

All in all, jury is out until the season begins. With that said, I'm far from 'stoked'. These kinds of picks should have been made, oh I don't know a couple of years ago?

I'm of the mind of the guy that made the marriage analogy on another thread. Last two season's worth of 'dates' pretty much ended up in the equivelent of her puking out the window.

Wait and see who busts and who doesn't, but I'm not rushing out to buy tickets or gear.

Hulk75 said:
Moss
Hakeem
MICHAEL JORDAN!
If he comes to be one of them then he can talk, he is going to learn a lot this season.
I cant stand it when guys run their mouths, good luck to him but I dont like that stuff, cause it can and will back fire.

I'm not saying he is going to be one of them but I like guys who are competitive. If that is something that fires him up and he is hurt that his hometown team didn't want him...more power to him. Makes for a great rivalry.

Snapple said:
He plays with a chip on his shoulder. He uses the negative criticism to motivate himself and play harder.

So does that mean he would play half-assed without negative criticism? I've never understood people who need to play childish mind games to get off their arses and do their jobs.

Hulk75 said:
Moss
Hakeem
MICHAEL JORDAN!
If he comes to be one of them then he can talk, he is going to learn a lot this season.
I cant stand it when guys run their mouths, good luck to him but I dont like that stuff, cause it can and will back fire.

I will not be surprised if VY does back up his words. He did in college against a team that we all heard for the entire season was the best college team ever. USC was crowned national champs and the best ever before they even played Texas. I would have loved getting VY or even Bush, but the Texans are more concerned with MONEY than football (sounds like the former owner of a Houston Football Franchise. Oh sorry Bud, you did draft the best football player available.) We heard from the Texans for months they were going to draft the best football player (as a Longhorn Fan I thought that was VY). The Texans said it was Bush, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt having only seen him play in the Rose Bowl (wasn’t impressed with his decision making). Then they couldn’t sign him as cheaply as they wanted so they went to someone they could sign (CHEAP).

I hope Mario Williams has a great long career in the NFL. I only wish Vince Young backs up his mouth and destroys the Texans over his long career and the same for Reggie Bush. I hate Bud Adams, but I’m rooting for my Oilers again!

Erratic Assassin said:
So does that mean he would play half-assed without negative criticism? I've never understood people who need to play childish mind games to get off their arses and do their jobs.
Probably not. he was 30-2 in College.

He's just piggybacking on what he said in an SI interview...a quote that made the cover: "If you pass on me, that's your choice. But I will remember."

Fortunately for most of the league, only two teams passed on him. Unfortunately for Houston, they're one of 'em. ;)

Fiddy said:
Yeah I can see it now: Week 17, winner of the Titans/Texans game gets the last playoff spot in the AFC, the game is in Houston, Texans up by 4 and it's 4th and goal from the 6 yard line and VY does to Mario and Texans what he did to that DE that dived in the USC game, lol.
And about half the crowd will be cheering also:superman:

Vinny said:
Sounds exactly why I wanted him in the first place...a fiery competitor. I'd want to make my hometown Houston pay for passing me too.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the man. I wish him well. Vince and Lendale thats a good look.

Rashard Lewis did it to the Rockets. I'm still a Texans fan but I wish Vince well.

Not to harp on this subject but mannnnnnnnnn where's the excitement? We've NEVER had a player that can bring the kind of excitement that Vince or Bush could bring. They say winning is all that matters ...The Spurs win but there so doggone BORING nobody wants to see it.

I'm disgusted ...they just let a lot of wind out of my sail. I probably could have been ok with it if they hadn't pissed away the 2nd day.

Hulk75 said:
Ken Dorsey had a pretty good record too, we will see, thats the fun of it, I just hope people understand he is a Titan now.
Very astute observation. Ken Dorsey = Vince Young.

Geez

Actually Mario's poise has impressed me. Poor kid is under alot of pressure to perform next year, and to tell you the truth management didn't do him any favours. Anything less than Rookie of the Year, AFC MVP, AND a playoff appearence in '06 will haunt him.

Now that being said, VY didn't say anything stupid. He said what was on his mind. I can't fault the kid for it, just as much as I couldn't fault Lienhert for his "we're the better team' comment post RB. Though can you fault VY for stating the obvious? Especially how the draft panned out. Two O-line in later rounds and they pass on the two most electrifying players in the draft? I'd be insulted too. *shrug* As I said towards the end of my post, time will tell who was right, and I'll concede that, but IMHO the FO mucked it up.

Hulk75 said:
You would be what we as coaches like to call a Cancer to team or a "fan base".

No, he's a fan with an opinion different from yours. I'd rather have VY, but would have been happy with RB(sort of).

Any fall out from the fan base goes right on the FO, hope they can live with it.

Vinny, I would also like to say you've got my respect for your poise over the past couple of months.

I don't always agree with you, but I still respect your self-restraint.

Can you seriously blame him? All the moves in the past couple of years?

Like I said before, I am not married to this team. I'm dissapointed and bitter from their great decisions over the past 4 seasons.

I don't hide it, and I don't apologize for the attitude. Those years without a 'home' team was pretty damned instructional to me as a fan. (side note: if things get too bad you'll see the LA Texans) I would love for the Texans to do well, but they've got to earn my respect. Call me a scrub fan, fine...but IMHO they screwed this up as only the Texans can.

I'm not stoked at all, but I'll give them the season to prove me wrong. *shrug*

Back