Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How do the teams stack up?

How do you rate each position...?

QB: Texans, Carr has more experiance
WR: Bills, Andre Johnson is the best overall, Moulds and evans are the better tandem, by alot.
RB: Willis and DD are pretty equal, but that was based on last year when Willis was 85%
TE: Wash
OL: Bills, You have one of the few OL's that is worse than ours.

DL: Bills, Our D is nasty
LB: Bills, see above
DB: Bills, see above
ST: Bills, best in the league last year.
K: Houston, anyone is better than Lindell

I'd have to agree with that, but what do you think about the coaching? That comes into play a lot.

I agree with most of that, but have some problems:
TE: I dont know who your TE is, but Im sure he's better than our extra OL Bruener
DB: Our DBs (Robinson, Bucchannon, and Coleman) are one of the best in the league. Plus i heard Clements is injured
ST: Wash. with all the speed we have on returns now, this could be close.

SESupergenius said:
I'd have to agree with that, but what do you think about the coaching? That comes into play a lot.

IMO coaching will be the key in this game, with things like

1) Game Plan
2) Adjustments to game plan
3) Motivation
4) Ready to play/preparedness

Whatever coach puts his players in the best posistion to use their strengths
will have a team victory. This means exploiting the Bills weaknesses while
featuring the Texans strength and vice versa for the Bills. Too, another
key is going to be playing the game for 60 minutes. The Texans need to
rattle Loseman from start to finish, be relentless-same for the Bills on Carr.
When a team gets into the red zone--early or late--it needs to score TDs,
something the Texans have been harping on since their existence.

Both teams ended last season on a bad note, with the Bills unable to beat
the Pittsburg subs for a playoff spot and the Texans unable to take it
to the next level (.500) against the worse team in the league, the Browns.
It will be a long day for whatever team carries that play over to this first
game but--on the other hand--it could be very interesting if both teams
come to play.

WillisXPress said:

WR: Bills, Andre Johnson is the best overall, Moulds and evans are the better tandem, by alot.
RB: Willis and DD are pretty equal, but that was based on last year when Willis was 85%

I agree with most of your post. I would change the following.
TE: Bills....Texans are weak there.
DB: Not fimilar with your DBs but ours are Damn good. Any(or All) three could make the pro bowl this year.
ST: Wash......I know you guys are good but the Texans are STACKED at kick/punt return.

El Tejano said:
Remember our team had alot of INTs last year and are pretty stout throughout our depth.

True, and some forced fumbles with Antwan along with Dunta's work, but the only thing is what did we do with the ball afterwards? We can get 5 INT's and 3FF's but if you don't turn that into 3-7 after... :brickwall

LBC_Justin said:
I agree with most of your post. I would change the following.
TE: Bills....Texans are weak there.
DB: Not fimilar with your DBs but ours are Damn good. Any(or All) three could make the pro bowl this year.
ST: Wash......I know you guys are good but the Texans are STACKED at kick/punt return.

I didn't know yours either... Mark Campbell is our #1, he's good but underused... Tim Euhus is out with injury.

Our DB's

CB-Nate Clements (got dinged up, he will play)
CB- Terrance McGee (Pro bowl returner, played well down the stretch last year, and in preseason)
SS- lawyer Milloy (fear hitter, good run support)
FS- Troy Vincent (his first full time year at safety, had the offseason to pick it up.

wags said:
Good lord. Buffalo must have some terrible TE's for it to be a wash.

Not really, i just don't know much about you're guys, and our guys are just average... plus we have under used them in the past.

4 1/2, thats a close game.

The over under 39 1/2 is also attainable, but with us having a better D, and being at home on top of Losman playing conservativly I'd imagine that it will be under.... but who knows.

WillisXPress said:

I agree with some of your assessments, but you're off on some. Moulds and Evans are not better than Johnson and Gaffney or even Johnson and Bradford. Even if they are better, it's not by much, and definitely not alot. Our Oline isn't as bad as alot of people make it out to be. We're really good with run blocking, it has always been our pass blocking that has hurt us. As for RB, DD has been 85 percent the past 2 seasons and has gone over 1,00 yards there. His experience over Mcgahee is the difference.

I'd say your defense is better as a whole, but our seondary is better than yours. As for special teams, you just never know. Just because it was good last year, doesn't mean it will be good this year. It's called adjustment, Teams make adjustments to counter strengths, so don't expect them to be the same as last year. just a thought for you.

WillisXPress said:

The over under 39 1/2 is also attainable, but with us having a better D, and being at home on top of Losman playing conservativly I'd imagine that it will be under.... but who knows.

How do you know JP will play conservatively? If Mcgahee can't get his running going, he's going to have to throw the ball. You can't just run Mcgahee on every play, you'll get crushed. Expect the Texans to put 8 men in the box and dare Losman to throw at them.

atxcoolguy said:
How do you know JP will play conservatively? If Mcgahee can't get his running going, he's going to have to throw the ball. You can't just run Mcgahee on every play, you'll get crushed. Expect the Texans to put 8 men in the box and dare Losman to throw at them.

Mcgahee had 8 in the box all last year too, do you think anyone feared Bledsoe?

Losman will play conservativly because thats the game plan... I don't expect alot of points in this game.

atxcoolguy said:
I agree with some of your assessments, but you're off on some. Moulds and Evans are not better than Johnson and Gaffney or even Johnson and Bradford. Even if they are better, it's not by much, and definitely not alot. Our Oline isn't as bad as alot of people make it out to be. We're really good with run blocking, it has always been our pass blocking that has hurt us. As for RB, DD has been 85 percent the past 2 seasons and has gone over 1,00 yards there. His experience over Mcgahee is the difference.

I'd say your defense is better as a whole, but our seondary is better than yours. As for special teams, you just never know. Just because it was good last year, doesn't mean it will be good this year. It's called adjustment, Teams make adjustments to counter strengths, so don't expect them to be the same as last year. just a thought for you.

WR's:

Johnson- 1142yds 6TD's
Gaffney- 632yds 2TD's
Bradford- 399yds 3TD's

Moulds- 1043yds 5 TD's
Evans- 843yds 9TD's

I think its pretty safe to say that however you pair them up, the Bills WR's are more productive..... Johnson is only better than Moulds because he's younger. Keep in mind that Lee Evans didn't play on a regular basis until week 5 last year as he was a rookie, he would have easily had 1000 yards and 10-12 TD's had he been a starter on opening day.

OL:
Very debatable.... I haven't been a fan of our OL much in years, but yours isn't much differant, I'll call it a wash.

DB's: Dunta is very good, hes not clements good yet. McGee is underrated as a corner, but Buchanon is over rated IMO.... Our safties have like 15 probowls between them or something like that. With Troy vincent at safety we have three guys who can man up a WR at all times.

Our special teams will be great again, they have been all preseasn, and we have Jason Peters as our secret weapon... he s a 300lb guy who runs a 4.8, hes a lead blocker and wedge buster... I dare anyone on your team to try and hold a block against a man that big moving that fast on a mission to injure.

I think McGahee can catch the ball just fine. Matter of fact i wish they would throw it too him more often!

WillisXPress said:

Forget all the matchups.

I think the deciding point in the Texans vs Bills game is going to be JP Loseman.

If you think the Texans are going to sit back and let Losman handoff the ball all game to your RB you are crazy. The Texans are going to be throwing in a mix of crazy blitzes and run stuffing plays untill the Losman can prove that he can step up and get it done in the air.

Look for this game to be either Losman's coming out party or the Bills fan's "Oh Crap, this is our starting QB?" party.

Any way you look at it the Bills are not the '04 Steelers and Losman will not have the same luxuries that Rothlisberger had.

good luck both teams and I hope there are no major injuries.

PS: this game could actually mean alot, it might be the Wildcard tie breaker.

WillisXPress said:
Mcgahee had 8 in the box all last year too, do you think anyone feared Bledsoe?

Losman will play conservativly because thats the game plan... I don't expect alot of points in this game.

They feared Bledsoe alot more than Losman i guarantee that. We fear Holcomb alot more than Losman, Holcomb has played like a hall of famer against us. I guess since you know the gameplan, we better tell the texans coaches to read your posts to get an insight. Man, you don't know the gameplan, it's all your opinions as of now.

WillisXPress said:
WR's:

Johnson- 1142yds 6TD's
Gaffney- 632yds 2TD's
Bradford- 399yds 3TD's

Moulds- 1043yds 5 TD's
Evans- 843yds 9TD's

I think its pretty safe to say that however you pair them up, the Bills WR's are more productive..... Johnson is only better than Moulds because he's younger. Keep in mind that Lee Evans didn't play on a regular basis until week 5 last year as he was a rookie, he would have easily had 1000 yards and 10-12 TD's had he been a starter on opening day.

Those are last year's stats with a different QB. I thought Losman wasn't going to throw it much, isn't that what you said. Johnson isn't just better than moulds because he's younger, that's bad logic man. That would mean that Evans is better than Johnson because he's younger. Andre is a beast, He is better because simply he is better. Yards and TDs don't always show the whole picture. Don't let simple stats lead you to believe that your WRs are better than ours.

atxcoolguy said:
Those are last year's stats with a different QB. I thought Losman wasn't going to throw it much, isn't that what you said. Johnson isn't just better than moulds because he's younger, that's bad logic man. That would mean that Evans is better than Johnson because he's younger. Andre is a beast, He is better because simply he is better. Yards and TDs don't always show the whole picture. Don't let simple stats lead you to believe that your WRs are better than ours.

I'm not, I'm letting the fact that Moulds has been putting up Andre Johnson Numbers for years, and Evans came in as a rookie and was more productive than your number 2 and 3 guys combined.

We won't be throwing it much, but we will go deep 2-3 times to Evans, and he'll be open, unless you want to leave Moulds in single coverage which I don't recomend.

Andre johnson is a beast, but he has yet to establish himself as a top 5 reciever.

WillisXPress said:
I'm not, I'm letting the fact that Moulds has been putting up Andre Johnson Numbers for years, and Evans came in as a rookie and was more productive than your number 2 and 3 guys combined.

We won't be throwing it much, but we will go deep 2-3 times to Evans, and he'll be open, unless you want to leave Moulds in single coverage which I don't recomend.

Andre johnson is a beast, but he has yet to establish himself as a top 5 reciever.

Davis is our number 2 receiver as of now. check out his stats. Enough with the psychic crystal ball stuff. So now, you're going to go deep to Evans 2-3 times and he will be open? You're looking at stats too much to determine realpotential. You can't catch the ball 100 times if you're only thrown the ball 50 times. Just because your receivers get thrown at more, doesn't mean they're better. We throw alot more to our running back than most teams do. You probably don't see that though if you're only looking at WR stats.

atxcoolguy said:
Davis is our number 2 receiver as of now. check out his stats. Enough with the psychic crystal ball stuff. So now, you're going to go deep to Evans 2-3 times and he will be open? You're looking at stats too much to determine realpotential. You can't catch the ball 100 times if you're only thrown the ball 50 times. Just because your receivers get thrown at more, doesn't mean they're better. We throw alot more to our running back than most teams do. You probably don't see that though if you're only looking at WR stats.

I know what I'm talking about, I know how this offense works, I know how football works....

davis was you're 3rd best WR last year.

Heres the deal... Moulds is a proven vet who demands double coverage, always has, did last year, is healthier and in better shape this year....

Evans was a stud in his rookie year, consistantly open, great hands.

Thrown at more? Moulds and Evans had maybe 10-15 more catches than Gaffney and Johnson, yet had 100 more yards and 6 more TD's....

Maybe I know what my team will do because I know more about my team? No crystal ball stuff, We will go deep to evans 2-3 times on Sunday, when you have a deep threat thats what you do... not that difficult. And he will be open, because he was open all last year, you can't single cover him and expect to stop him,...evans runs crisper routes than i've seen from a rookie...

Lee Evans will be a clone of Marvin Harrison in 1-2 years. Mark my words.

WillisXPress said:
I know what I'm talking about, I know how this offense works, I know how football works....

davis was you're 3rd best WR last year.

Heres the deal... Moulds is a proven vet who demands double coverage, always has, did last year, is healthier and in better shape this year....

Evans was a stud in his rookie year, consistantly open, great hands.

Thrown at more? Moulds and Evans had maybe 10-15 more catches than Gaffney and Johnson, yet had 100 more yards and 6 more TD's....

Maybe I know what my team will do because I know more about my team? No crystal ball stuff, We will go deep to evans 2-3 times on Sunday, when you have a deep threat thats what you do... not that difficult. And he will be open, because he was open all last year, you can't single cover him and expect to stop him,...evans runs crisper routes than i've seen from a rookie...

Lee Evans will be a clone of Marvin Harrison in 1-2 years. Mark my words.

Wrong, Davis was our second best receiver last year. that's where you are wrong. 10-15 more catches and 100 more yards, sounds about right. 8-10 yards per catch. how does that show they are better? Alot of teams have a deep threat, Look at our Rookie Mathis 4.2 speed, fastest player out of the draft, is he not a deep threat? will we throw to him 2-3 times, i don't really know, i'm not psychic like you. So about Evans, did you go to every game last year? because it's hard if not impossible to see receivers run routes watching on TV. I think you're just saying that because someone on your message board said that or that's what you've read somewhere. Evans will never be anywhere near Harrison, dream on. oh wait, i forgot, you got a crystal ball.

atxcoolguy said:
Wrong, Davis was our second best receiver last year. that's where you are wrong. 10-15 more catches and 100 more yards, sounds about right. 8-10 yards per catch. how does that show they are better? Alot of teams have a deep threat, Look at our Rookie Mathis 4.2 speed, fastest player out of the draft, is he not a deep threat? will we throw to him 2-3 times, i don't really know, i'm not psychic like you. So about Evans, did you go to every game last year? because it's hard if not impossible to see receivers run routes watching on TV. I think you're just saying that because someone on your message board said that or that's what you've read somewhere. Evans will never be anywhere near Harrison, dream on. oh wait, i forgot, you got a crystal ball.

Umm... I have season tickets and watch every game. When they show replays of long TD's oTD passes in general they always show the coach cam shot, you watch the WR get off the line, you watch him run his routes...

Listen, just because you don't know anything about your team doesn't mean thats the case with everyone. Just because I know more than you shouldn't make you so angry, it should make you want to learn more....

Its not the yards (although Evans averages around 2.5 more YPC than anyone from Houston) its the TD's.....

WillisXPress said:
Listen, just because you don't know anything about your team doesn't mean thats the case with everyone. Just because I know more than you shouldn't make you so angry, it should make you want to learn more....

You're a troll dude, I'm not mad that would eb pointless. I know alot about my team, where do you come off saying things like you know more than me. You know nothing about me except my post name and my age. you know more about Buffalo, but not about Houston. Get off your high horse.

Again this game boils down to play of JP Losman.

Who has never started a regular season game.
His regular season stats are... 5 Attempts, 3 completions, 0 TDs, 1 Int

Really hard to forecast how he or the Bills offense is going to do based on those last season stats.

I just hope no one sustains any major injuries.

tsip said:
IMO coaching will be the key in this game, with things like

1) Game Plan
2) Adjustments to game plan
3) Motivation
4) Ready to play/preparedness

Capers always has a gameplan ..... and he wont change it even if its NOT working . :brickwall
I think the Texans staff is the worst in the league at making adjustments . :crying:

First...Evans may not have had a whole league of games to cover his stats but neither did gaffney or bradford. They switched out alot and we have another now who is all about speed (mathis)...
DD and W.M. are about even
Carr is more experienced and a little bit better
Our Secondary is better by a small margin.
I beleive our Linebackers are even
Yalls OL and DL are both better.

Texans I beleive will win this or lose this by a close margin

atxcoolguy said:
You're a troll dude, I'm not mad that would eb pointless. I know alot about my team, where do you come off saying things like you know more than me. You know nothing about me except my post name and my age. you know more about Buffalo, but not about Houston. Get off your high horse.
Dude, just from reading this thread, you are the one that is acting more like the troll. He isn't coming to our board and trashing anyone, he is saying what he believes and doing so in a calm and mature manner. Your bashing of him is more in the lines of what we call trolls. There are alot of us Texans fans that like to debate with fans of other teams like him.

Honestly, I was enjoying this thread until you started. I think your input has actually degraded this thread. Just my opinion.

Texas said:
First...Evans may not have had a whole league of games to cover his stats but neither did gaffney or bradford. They switched out alot and we have another now who is all about speed (mathis)...
Carr is more experienced and a little bit better Carr is alot better at this point, Losman is an unknown
Our Secondary is better by a small margin. Hard to believe, Milloy and vincent at Saftey, then Clements who is the best gut on either team
I beleive our Linebackers are evenDefinatly not, not even close, sorry.
Yalls OL and DL are both better. Who knows... Our OL might royally suck.

Thats what I think

Texas said:
Carr is more experienced and a little bit better
Our Secondary is better by a small margin.
I beleive our Linebackers are even
Yalls OL and DL are both better.

I don't really feel like debating this until the real football has begun, but please tell me you at least realize who the Bills have in their secondary. Nate Clements, Terrance McGee, Troy Vincent, and Lawyer Milloy. In your unbiased heart of hearts you feel Coleman, Earl, Buchanon, and Robinson are better?

WillisXPress said:
Thats what I think
And Clemens is the best corner in the league based on? Robinson was a rookie, early in the year all quartebacks were throwing to him and staying away from Glenn's side. BY about midway through the season they were throwing to Glenn and staying away from Robinson. Because he was a rookie and teams planned to consitently attack him until they got burned ( 6 picks), there is no real way to determine how good Dunta really is. He might be the next great Deion ( there is always hope for Texan fans) or he might just be a a good corner. I think this season will tell a lot more about his potenatial than the last...

corrosion said:
Capers always has a gameplan ..... and he wont change it even if its NOT working . :brickwall
I think the Texans staff is the worst in the league at making adjustments . :crying:

...almost seems like Capers has the same game plan for every game,
or maybe has 2 or 3 that he alternates

Clements is the best corner in the league based on his own hype. Truth is he's not a true shut-down corner. He's a ballhawk who gets burned for a deep touchdown about as frequently as he jumps and out route and takes it to the house. What makes his value rise is the fact that he's been relatively durable and contributes on special teams.

But from a pure cover perspective, Clements is top 10 at best, not #1 by any means.

#1 Bills Fan said:
In your unbiased heart of hearts you feel Coleman, Earl, Buchanon, and Robinson are better?

Earl won't start the Buffalo game. A rookie, C.C. Brown, will start the game and he's been pretty good in the preseason. Earl has been slowed by a shoulder injury.

corrosion said:

...admitting he is wrong is not a Caper's strong point

texasguy346 said:
Earl won't start the Buffalo game. A rookie, C.C. Brown, will start the game and he's been pretty good in the preseason. Earl has been slowed by a shoulder injury.
I know, but when healthy I assumed Earl would return to the starting lineup. The question still stands though. You'd take your secondary over the Bills? Again, I'm not debating, just looking for an unbiased answer and the reasoning behind it.

I think its pretty safe to say that however you pair them up, the Bills WR's are more productive..... Johnson is only better than Moulds because he's younger
I dont see your point
Johnson- 1142yds 6TD's
Gaffney- 632yds 2TD's
Bradford- 399yds 3TD's
Domanick Davis 588yds 1TD's

Moulds- 1043yds 5 TD's
Evans- 843yds 9TD's
Reed- 153yds 0TD's
McGahee- 169yds 0TD's

Johnson > Moulds
Gaffney < Evans
Bradford > Reed
Davis > McGahee

You'd take your secondary over the Bills? Again, I'm not debating, just looking for an unbiased answer and the reasoning behind it.
Honestly it depends if i was trying to win the superbowl this year. I would take the bills secondary. The Texans is much Younger and has the potential to be THE best.
Nate Clements in my opinion is the third best in the league behind Chris McAlister and Champ Bailey. Drob is arguably top five

I'm not so sure Earl gets his spot back. I think Brown might be getting the nod to see if he can take the job from Earl who's played well as a rookie. Brown has been a pleasant surprise, and he's shows good range at SS. If he comes out against the Bills and flops I'm sure Earl gets his spot back JMO of course.

As far as the secondary I really do like the Texans secondary over the Bills, but not by much. DRob is well on his way to being one of the best CBs in the NFL, and Faggins is a very good NB who would be a starter on most teams. PBuch is a bit of a question mark. He's sort of like Clements in the fact that he gambles (sometimes he wins and sometimes he loses), but he's not near the tackler of Nate and doesn't have the same great instincts as Nate. I'm sure the Bills will be testing him anytime they put it in the air. We have Coleman back at FS, and this will be his second season playing that position. He looked like a natural back there last year, and I figure he'll improve this season. He's got a great nose for the ball. Overall they make for a very good secondary, and I think the Bills aren't too far behind them. Of course the Bills have a good pass rush so that will help make their secondary look even better. The Texans have shown signs of improvement in the pass rush department (watch #98 Peek closely he's fun to watch), but we won't know for sure till Sunday if all the added blitzes will be effective. I hope so.

run-david-run said:
And Clemens is the best corner in the league based on? Robinson was a rookie, early in the year all quartebacks were throwing to him and staying away from Glenn's side. BY about midway through the season they were throwing to Glenn and staying away from Robinson. Because he was a rookie and teams planned to consitently attack him until they got burned ( 6 picks), there is no real way to determine how good Dunta really is. He might be the next great Deion ( there is always hope for Texan fans) or he might just be a a good corner. I think this season will tell a lot more about his potenatial than the last...

Let me preface this by saying Deion is sick, one of my favorite players who wasn't a Bill, but since you brough him up..Clements is on his way to being the next Deion, Nates not quite as fast, but 100X more physical.... check it:

First four years -

Deion: 89 Tackles, 1 Sack, 17 INT's 3TD's, 3 Forced Fumbles

Deion also had 2 Punt returns for TD's

Nate: 263 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, 18 INT's 4TD's, 8 Forced Fumbles

Nate also had 2 Punt returns for TD's

See what I mean.... You should hope Dunta is the next nate clements. And he might be.

Deion has never been known as a physical player.

Dunta's stats from one year are:

87 tackles
3 FF (two were returned for scores)
6 INT
3 sacks
13 Pass Def

Bubbajwp said:
Its a little early to compare Nate or Drob to Deion

How so, Nates been putting up Deion numbers since he was a rookie... Four years is forever in the NFL.

Deion was a better shut down, less big plays, But nate is better at tackling and stuffing the run.

Why the hard time recognizing greatness? Dunta's sick, but he's gotta put together years and years, and he probably will.

texasguy346 said:
Deion has never been known as a physical player.

Dunta's stats from one year are:

85 tackles
3 FF (two were returned for scores)
6 INT
3 sacks

Thats sick, if he does it again I'll be a believer. I see this Sunday.

No argument that Nate is a great. However to compare him to deion is like comparing AJ to Jerry Rice...Its just too early to tell...

I really don't want DRob to be the next Nate (no offense). I'd prefer he be DRob. One of the better things about him is that he's also a very good cover guy, to go along with his physical style of play and playmaker skills. Should be a fun game to watch.

Back