Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston as a dstination for FA's

Garoppolo forced the trade. He was on the last year of his contract and wasn't going to sign on for a backup contract & sitting indefinitely. But the tin foil hat of the month club came up with Kraft forced it so Belichick traded him cheap.

So to get back at Garoppolo Belichick sits a starting CB & tanks the Super Bowl?

Man, that Belichick is dumb.

Offer something more than guesswork.

Doesn't matter, and I cant prove anything.

But Belichick proved who runs the show.

I noticed how how Belichick's demeanor changed after the Jimmy G trade. Go check out his demeanor in the press conferences.

Never put anything past Belichick.

Watt & Clowney are not remotely similar and in no way tied. Watt is 30 with 3 years left & underpaid. It's entirely likely this is his last contract as he has stated he does not want to play past being dominant. If he were to get hurt there is almost no dead money.

Clowney is looking for a giant, long deal which would be Russian roulette for the Texans.

Trading Watt even for a 1st does not "maximize value." Odds of replacing his talent are minimal & he is cheap.

You're just doing one of your melodrama tantrums, 'well uf they won't get the FAs I want then they should blow it all up for as many draft picks as possible, damn however many more holes it creates, mocks will be more fun."

Or a new HC. That's much simpler.

You assert it but provide no argument or support. They have lots of cap room. Other than making a run at Brown they appear to have chosen not to spend.

Exactly. You just said what I meant. This isn’t the YMCA these guys number one motivation is money. If they can win a championship or two along the way, that’s great. The NBA, you have the lebron James and Kevin Durant’s of the world who can be pick where they play because there’s max contracts so the perennial all star players can choose where they play and get paid the same amount with fully guaranteed contracts (excluding state taxes) But in the NFL, because there’s no “max” deal. You play to get that second (and if you’re lucky, third) contract. We could cut JJ now and not pay him another dime. So yeah, basically summarizing the redundant post, we’re never gonna get any free agents so long as we keep on playing money ball. Even if we won 100 championships in a row, unless we take a risk and open up that checkbook (until deshaun re signs then you’re severely hindered in your he deals you make). We’ll keep cycling through one year prove it deals. Establishing no team chemistry due to significant turnover, all whilst our core loses a valuable year. But hey, Janice is profitable so it’s all good

Exactly. You just said what I meant. This isn’t the YMCA these guys number one motivation is money. If they can win a championship or two along the way, that’s great. The NBA, you have the lebron James and Kevin Durant’s of the world who can be pick where they play because there’s max contracts so the perennial all star players can choose where they play and get paid the same amount with fully guaranteed contracts (excluding state taxes) But in the NFL, because there’s no “max” deal. You play to get that second (and if you’re lucky, third) contract. We could cut JJ now and not pay him another dime. So yeah, basically summarizing the redundant post, we’re never gonna get any free agents so long as we keep on playing money ball. Even if we won 100 championships in a row, unless we take a risk and open up that checkbook (until deshaun re signs then you’re severely hindered in your he deals you make). We’ll keep cycling through one year prove it deals. Establishing no team chemistry due to significant turnover, all whilst our core loses a valuable year. But hey, Janice is profitable so it’s all good

You said it so much better than I ever could've

Thx

So... the Browns are winning the Super Bowl?

I mean..I bet almost $1000 last year on the browns winning 8 games. Everyone called me an idiot, and I probably was. I mean, I lost. But they were a total of about 5 plays maximum including missed field goals and extra points away from being a 12 win football team. And that’s with Hue Jackson leading the way for the first quarter of the year. They’ve only went out and added a top 10 RB to go with their young, and I’ll say it, stud RB. A top 5-10 WR to go along with Juice and their up and coming TE, oh, and Baker. Not to mention, they already have a great OL and solid D Line in place. If they can get a running mate for Denzel Ward on the perimeter, I don’t see why this team can’t win 12 games next season. And they’re young, and will continue to get better year by year.

This is all of course thanks to having a smart and aggressive GM who comes in ready to change a teams culture and prioritize winning. I’m not throwing shade at Gaine, I think he did an outstanding job with the draft last year, in particular stealing Justin Reid in the third. This free agency was lackluster to say the least, but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at least until the final roster is formed. But when you have a QB on a rookie deal, you have to take some risks. Especially when said QB will likely command a deal that will take up almost 20% of your total cap figure moving forward. Just think that prioritizing re-signing Angelo Blackson to a 12 million dollar deal over 3 (or 4?) years, then getting outbid by everyone for difference making FA’s including a divisional rival for saffold who is one of the leagues better talents at a huge position of need, sets a bad precedent. The one that’s been in the back of a lot of fans minds’, that the McNair’s pocketbook is worth more than a championship

I mean..I bet almost $1000 last year on the browns winning 8 games. Everyone called me an idiot, and I probably was. I mean, I lost. But they were a total of about 5 plays maximum including missed field goals and extra points away from being a 12 win football team. And that’s with Hue Jackson leading the way for the first quarter of the year. They’ve only went out and added a top 10 RB to go with their young, and I’ll say it, stud RB. A top 5-10 WR to go along with Juice and their up and coming TE, oh, and Baker. Not to mention, they already have a great OL and solid D Line in place. If they can get a running mate for Denzel Ward on the perimeter, I don’t see why this team can’t win 12 games next season. And they’re young, and will continue to get better year by year.

This is all of course thanks to having a smart and aggressive GM who comes in ready to change a teams culture and prioritize winning. I’m not throwing shade at Gaine, I think he did an outstanding job with the draft last year, in particular stealing Justin Reid in the third. This free agency was lackluster to say the least, but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at least until the final roster is formed. But when you have a QB on a rookie deal, you have to take some risks. Especially when said QB will likely command a deal that will take up almost 20% of your total cap figure moving forward. Just think that prioritizing re-signing Angelo Blackson to a 12 million dollar deal over 3 (or 4?) years, then getting outbid by everyone for difference making FA’s including a divisional rival for saffold who is one of the leagues better talents at a huge position of need, sets a bad precedent. The one that’s been in the back of a lot of fans minds’, that the McNair’s pocketbook is worth more than a championship
Amen,

When have the McNair's ever taken a risk other than Os?

Having a player fall in your lap is neither brilliance nor theft.

Identifying talent is a skill and so is being able to closely predict how the draft is going to go is also a skill.

Being able to watch a player a know how he will fit in your system is the greatest skill a GM can have.

Players fall in every draft, a good GM finds these guys. I know that Texans fa s aren't used to finding these type of guys, but it does happen. You need to have some luck, true. But the draft is much more of a skill than a exercise of luck that you seem to think it is.

Last edited:
Identifying talent is a skill and so is being able to closely predict how the draft is going to go is also a skill.

Being able to watch a player a know how he will fit in your system is the greatest skill a GM can have.

Players fall in every draft, a good GM finds these guys. I know that Texans fa s aren't used to finding these type of guys, but it does happen. You need to have some luck, true. But the draft is much more of a skill than a exercise of luck that you seem to think it is.

NO ONE thought Justin Reid would be available in the 3rd

Kirwan? Really? That's who you consider reliable? Prisco has been more reliable than Kirwan, and he's trash compared to LZ and many others

He's a former GM who gave his insights on players. I like to hear former GM's opinions over LZ's. Kirwan's opinion was right as to how other GM's viewed JR.

He's also very well connected. Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
then getting outbid by everyone for difference making FA’s including a divisional rival for saffold who is one of the leagues better talents at a huge position of need, sets a bad precedent.

Guard isn't a huge position of need, I don't think. Unless you're wanting to sign someone so you can move Fulton to Center. I'm thinking Rankin will be a starting Guard next season along with Fulton. Mancz & Kelemente in reserve.

Center is a huge need, imo, & tackle.

I’m not talking about Dave Gettleman picking Saquon Barkley 2nd overall (even though I think they should’ve gotten the QB) I’m talking about drafting a, not only starting NFL Safety, but a guy who could go to multiple pro bowls in the 3rd round. That’s never happened under rick smith. So I’ll give Gaine credit where it’s due. That was a fantastic pick

Guard isn't a huge position of need, I don't think. Unless you're wanting to sign someone so you can move Fulton to Center. I'm thinking Rankin will be a starting Guard next season along with Fulton. Mancz & Kelemente in reserve.

It’s not a highlighted position of need because the tackle situation was so bad and our running game was actually serviceable so the interior of the OL got overlooked but I believe all 5 spots could be upgraded. Whether that’s moving guys around or fresh blood. Nick Martin hasn’t graded out well as a center thus far so I think it’s time to move him out. I’d be fine with Rankin even playing Center with Martin at guard

I’m not talking about Dave Gettleman picking Saquon Barkley 2nd overall (even though I think they should’ve gotten the QB) I’m talking about drafting a, not only starting NFL Safety, but a guy who could go to multiple pro bowls in the 3rd round. That’s never happened under rick smith. So I’ll give Gaine credit where it’s due. That was a fantastic pick

That was a no brainer pick.

**cough**Foster, Quin, Brooks, Bouye**cough**

I'm so tired of hearing the justin Reid card being played . He was blackballed just like his bro. Last year no market for safeties. A settlement happens and money being thrown around on safeties suddenly

Coincidence???

Good job having the nerve to pick him regardless of situation, in any other draft he ain't there in third.

I'm curious to see this draft because I'm not happy with the offseason.

Just sayin

I believe Kelemente will have a bounce back season. Those injuries stunted his true potential. Dude was very solid at several positions on that line for the Saints.

That was a no brainer pick.

**cough**Foster, Quin, Brooks, Bouye**cough**

I’ll be the first to jump on that Rick Smith is a horrible GM train. Not franchise tagging or resigning Bouye is just stupid. If we still had him our secondary would be in pretty decent shape

I believe Kelemente will have a bounce back season. Those injuries stunted his true potential. Dude was very solid at several positions on that line for the Saints.

If he does that will help tremendously. Bill O’Brien preaches versatility and having guys that can play multiple positions but we end up with the jack of all trades master of none guys

I’ll be the first to jump on that Rick Smith is a horrible GM train. Not franchise tagging or resigning Bouye is just stupid. If we still had him our secondary would be in pretty decent shape

It's nice to say re-sign in a vacuum. A GM has to think of the team as a whole. Completely independent of RS, Gaine, whoever, I hope the Texans ALWAYS have a limit in mind, some small leeway, and then walk away. There is no such thing as an "at ANY cost" player.

They have made very substantial offers to Bouye, Solder, Brown, etc. Wisely they have walked away from stupid.

It's nice to say re-sign in a vacuum. A GM has to think of the team as a whole. Completely independent of RS, Gaine, whoever, I hope the Texans ALWAYS have a limit in mind, some small leeway, and then walk away. There is no such thing as an "at ANY cost" player.

They have made very substantial offers to Bouye, Solder, Brown, etc. Wisely they have walked away from stupid.

Bridesmaids

Cheapass franchise

The only McNair there is even a tinfoil whiff of interference about is DEAD.

Says the man that once said the McNair's we're hands off owner's

Good news is the franchise valuation is still in the top ten and that's what really matters to them

Says the man that once said the McNair's we're hands off owner's

Nope, said we had no evidence to show Bob was hands on more than average. By your definition if it can be speculated an owner is more than a potted plant they are hands on.

Young naive NFL owner didn't even decide on Carr himself. He hired Dan Reeves (damn him) on whether Carr could succeed.

Good thing for the Texans you're not the GM[/QUOTllo
Good thing for the Texans you're not the GM

Why? They would've had their QB 5 years ago and I can guarantee you the OL wpuld be much better.

Also I wouldn't have almost the most cap space in the NFL and a QB still on his rookie contract. Plus they're going to trade Clowney and have even more cap room.

Is this the way you really want the franchise to be run? Meanwhile Watson getting his lung punctured.

If you're ok with that then there's nothing to talk about.

Nope, said we had no evidence to show Bob was hands on more than average. By your definition if it can be speculated an owner is more than a potted plant they are hands on.

Young naive NFL owner didn't even decide on Carr himself. He hired Dan Reeves (damn him) on whether Carr could succeed.

I seem to remember a time when you called the McNair's hands off owner's.

Maybe my memory is failing me. Or maybe yours is. Revisionist history. I told you how the McNair's we're after the 2010 season and you disagreed with me. History has proven me to be correct.

Last edited:

Which QB would you have taken 5 years ago? Garropolo? I agree there, but with you as GM the Texans would be in perpetual cap hell. Your Utopia is not realistic imo

Which QB would you have taken 5 years ago? Garropolo? I agree there, but with you as GM the Texans would be in perpetual cap hell. Your Utopia is not realistic imo

No I wouldn't, I would have 5star level players 25 veteran level guys 7drafted guys, 6 Udfa/vets an a Punter/kicker

Believe me when I tell you know how to live within a budget

I agree. I'm not privy to negotiations, so I don't know. But he was/is good & it was a fool's bet to count on Kjo being healthy & good.

Like I said, wasn't in the negotiations but I think he knew he was going to start in Jacksonville where here he was going to have to compete in a system that values draft position a lot more than they say they do. His last year here, he was better than Kjo & Kjax.

They should have found a way to keep him & it may not have been the money that drew him away.

As a FA, why would you want to play in Houston as a Texan other than $$$ (and no state income tax) considering this organization's 18 year history of mediocrity??

They (the player) would get paid. Other than that, what would be attractive playing for this team??
As it turns out, I PAY MORE! With year after year of mediocre results, WTF??? year after year my ticket, parking and wrist bands increase$$!

I'm not saying this organization is completely dysfunctional. They are close tho.

Last edited:

What did they offer Bouye? I mean the contract he’s on now with the Jags seems to be working out. I can understand not paying Solder. Brown I guess I can understand as well. But Bouye? They could’ve used the tag on him if nothing else. He was a great CB in his last year here and graded out highly.

As a FA, why would you want to play in Houston as a Texan other than $$$ (and no state income tax) considering this organization's 18 year history of mediocrity??

They (the player) would get paid. Other than that, what would be attractive playing for this team??
As it turns out, I PAY MORE! With year after year of mediocre results, WTF??? year after year my ticket, parking and wrist bands increase$$!

I'm not saying this organization is completely dysfunctional. They are close tho.

Howdy stranger! Where you been?

No I wouldn't, I would have 5star level players 25 veteran level guys 7drafted guys, 6 Udfa/vets an a Punter/kicker

Believe me when I tell you know how to live within a budget

5 years ago you didn't think this way

Back