Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston a possible landing spot for Thomas Jones?

Decent post, man, I agree for the most part. As most know by now, I'm not a huge fan of bringing in older players. But, I think I'd make an exception for Jones. However, I'm still not going to want to shell out big money for a guy that'll be 32 come opening day.

Meh, it's probably a moot point anyway. He was unwilling to take a pay cut to stay with the Jets, so he'll likely be looking for good money. Are we willing to take a chance and sign him to a lucrative deal? I don't think so

Oh no neither would I want to shell out big dollars. He may end up like in Washington, where he can get a payday off of what he did with the Jets, but I was just saying that IF he were to come here, it wouldn't be the same situation as Green. Same could be said for LT, except his tread is gonzo.

Oh no neither would I want to shell out big dollars. He may end up like in Washington, where he can get a payday off of what he did with the Jets, but I was just saying that IF he were to come here, it wouldn't be the same situation as Green. Same could be said for LT, except his tread is gonzo.

I hear ya.

Just for poops and giggles, I went and got the career rushing and receiving attempts for the 5 big name FA RB's. Here's what we got:

Ladainian Tomlinson (9 years) - Rush: 2880, Rec: 530, Total: 3410

Thomas Jones (10 years) - Rush: 2280, Rec: 289, Total: 2569

Brian Westbrook (8 years) - Rush: 1308, Rec: 426, Total: 1734

Willy Parker (6 years) - Rush: 1253, Rec: 84, Total: 1337

Chester Taylor (8 years) - Rush: 1028, Rec: 265, Total: 1293

I'm surprised we aren't looking at Westbrook more than LT and Jones. Westbrook seems like he'd fit right in with our offense. I suppose his injury history is less than appealing.

LT has been used the most, but seems like the most durable of the 5 by missing only 3 games in 9 seasons. Pretty impressive.

I hear ya.

Just for poops and giggles, I went and got the career rushing and receiving attempts for the 4 big name FA RB's. Here's what we got:

I'm surprised we aren't looking at Westbrook more than LT and Jones. Westbrook seems like he'd fit right in with our offense. I suppose his injury history is less than appealing.

LT has been used the most, but seems like the most durable of the 4 by missing only 3 games in 9 seasons. Pretty impressive.

concussions as well. he might just retire...

I hear ya.

Just for poops and giggles, I went and got the career rushing and receiving attempts for the 4 big name FA RB's. Here's what we got:

LT has been used the most, but seems like the most durable of the 4 by missing only 3 games in 9 seasons. Pretty impressive.

I still like e: Chester Taylor.

Added! He's been used the least of all of them. I forgot about him, good call. Although, there have been rumblings of the Vikes keeping him.

I agree with this as well. Just when he got to the Vikes, hello ADAP. Kinda like just when Sage thought he would start, hello Flip Flopper #4

Ok guys and gals, let's look at this at a different angle....

Bringing in Thomas Jones would be NOTHING like Ahman Green and I can tell you why....

1: Thomas Jones, although 31 yrs old, does not have the same wear and tear Green did for the fact Thomas Jones was a backup or a partial player for many years. He has far less carries than most 30+ backs thus will last a little longer.

2. The Texans would not be bringing him in to be "tha man" If you remember, Sherman was a big reason Green came to Houston. At that time, the Texans were running Green Bay's power blocking scheme. Green had major knee surgery 2 yrs prior to being a Texans. Jones, to my knowledge, has not had any major injuries in his career.

3. Jones is a work horse. This coal miner's son knows what it takes to stay healthy and fit. He is a gym rat. He still has break away speed, see Texans vs Jets last year as reference, and is a beast in the red zone. Bringing him in with Slaton and Foster could be a really good experience for the young backs. You still can draft a back in the later rounds, I know they are eyeing that kid from the Div.II school, and you have veteran experience, something this Texans team lacks severely.

Totally agree.

Jones is one of the most respected people in all of football. It was no accident that he was the one who publicly ripped Favre after his one, phone-it-in season with the Jets: his word carries weight. Ced Benson was a pariah in the Bears lockerroom largely because his teammates were ticked that Jones was let go. Once Jones finally got his footing as a pro--for a few years, he was considered a first-round bust--he's been a leader everywhere he went.

I don't see how it would hurt to have a guy like Jones as a leader/mentor for our young, unproven group of backs (especially in getting them trained on picking up blitzes). The guy does everything the right way, and he still has a season or two left, though not as the primarly ball-carrier. I know McNair has publicly said he wants young and hungry, but Jones is a safe bet to not rest on his millions once he gets a contract.

If he wants big money, forget it. But if he's willing to sign for a reasonable price, it would be a very good match for both player and team. This could be my UVA bias talking, but we'd do very well to land this guy.

I wouldn't touch any of them except Chester Taylor. Chester has been used sparingly his entire career but has also shown that he is a very good rb. We don't need old rbs. If there is one position where a young player can step right in it is rb. They take a beating and generally don't have long NFL careers. So when you sign an 30 year or older rb you are betting against the odds big time.

Back