Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidates

Harbaugh... Former QB and proven winner both at the college and NFL level. Combine him with a good GM and you have a great situation for winning. And he will bring many coaches from Michigan. On being his OL coach who is one of the best OL coaches around... period. Something we need badly. As well as his DC who has had Michigan as a top 15 D in college football (I think he was a pro coach also) in all but this season if I recall correctly.

Sorry, but what has Harbaugh won at the collegiate level? He's been completely dominated by all of his rivals. This isn't to say he can't be a good NFL coach again, but his time at Michigan is not a selling point. I can't see his coaching staff doing much better at this level when they can't outscheme less talented Michigan State teams.

Harbaugh was hired to do one thing: Beat Ohio State. And he failed. Miserably. Not sure if that's the guy you want to change the culture of your franchise.

Sorry, but what has Harbaugh won at the collegiate level? He's been completely dominated by all of his rivals. This isn't to say he can't be a good NFL coach again, but his time at Michigan is not a selling point. I can't see his coaching staff doing much better at this level when they can't outscheme less talented Michigan State teams.

Harbaugh was hired to do one thing: Beat Ohio State. And he failed. Miserably. Not sure if that's the guy you want to change the culture of your franchise.

Harbaugh has a longer track record in CFB than just Michigan. Michigan just can't out recruit Ohio St overall but they do produce some solid NFL players. Playing football up North just isn't as attractive as playing football in the South at the moment. I think Harbaugh could've brought much more to Texas A&M than Michigan. I'm putting him at the top of my list based on what he did with the 49'ers.....he doesn't get the Texans luxury of 6+ years but would get a mulligan for 2021 and thru 2024 to show marketable team improvement.

He was doing his fair share of winning with the 49ers and yet they still got rid of him. I worry about him rubbing people the wrong way with our Texans. Of coarse it has been a fairly long time since he coached in the NFL. Maybe he has learned a thing or two since he went on to coach in college.

Last edited:
Harbaugh has a longer track record in CFB than just Michigan. Michigan just can't out recruit Ohio St overall but they do produce some solid NFL players. Playing football up North just isn't as attractive as playing football in the South at the moment. I think Harbaugh could've brought much more to Texas A&M than Michigan. I'm putting him at the top of my list based on what he did with the 49'ers.....he doesn't get the Texans luxury of 6+ years but would get a mulligan for 2021 and thru 2024 to show marketable team improvement.

The problem, though, is that Harbaugh can't consistently beat the teams up north that are not Ohio State. He's a combined 8-8 against MSU, PSU and Wisconsin.

I'd rather see a bolder hiring decision, but I can't see that happening. "Bolder," to me, would be Joe Brady. The knock on him is youth and inexperience, but his results speak for themselves. LSU's offense went from anemic to All-World within a year and he's got Teddy Bridgewater playing his best ball. I'd rather see a young, inexperienced guy with fresh and innovative ideas than an old steady hand with a proven track record but old and outdated schemes. Harbaugh to the Texans, in my view, would be like Shanahan to Washington, only not as good.

He was doing his fair share of winning with the 49ers and yet they still got rid of him. I worry about him rubbing people the wrong way with our Texans. Of coarse it has been a fairly long time since he coached in the NFL. Maybe he has learned a thing or two since he went on to coach in college.

He would not be on my short list though.

Sure. He had success with 49ers. I can't deny that. I only said his track record in college is not a selling point. At least his most recent stint in college football.

Bienemy and Harbaugh both seem like conservative choices to me. If people want this amazing and innovative scheme where Watson is slinging the ball all over the place and the Texans become the envy of the NFL, I don't see why you would hire either coach. Yeah, EB is the OC for the Chiefs, but that's really Andy Reid's offense. I get that the Chiefs are the hot stuff in the League right now, and everyone wants to imitate them, but New England was also the hot stuff in the League, and the Texans hired BOB to make the Texans "Patriots South." How did that work out?

My fear is that the Texans pass on Brady and then he goes somewhere else and builds an offense that destroys the rest of the NFL. And then we're stuck with BOB 2.0 or the guy whose offense couldn't put up points on Michigan State.

He would not be on my short list though.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-49ers-got-rid-of-jim-harbaugh-2014-12

Good story on the Harbaugh / 49'ers situation. He and the new GM didn't see eye to eye and York didn't stay on Harbaugh's side. If the Texans secure a GM who see's eye to eye with Harbaugh.....it could yield great results.

Sure. He had success with 49ers. I can't deny that. I only said his track record in college is not a selling point. At least his most recent stint in college football.

Bienemy and Harbaugh both seem like conservative choices to me. If people want this amazing and innovative scheme where Watson is slinging the ball all over the place and the Texans become the envy of the NFL, I don't see why you would hire either coach. Yeah, EB is the OC for the Chiefs, but that's really Andy Reid's offense. I get that the Chiefs are the hot stuff in the League right now, and everyone wants to imitate them, but New England was also the hot stuff in the League, and the Texans hired BOB to make the Texans "Patriots South." How did that work out?

My fear is that the Texans pass on Brady and then he goes somewhere else and builds an offense that destroys the rest of the NFL. And then we're stuck with BOB 2.0 or the guy whose offense couldn't put up points on Michigan State.

I'll take 44 wins in 4 years and 5 playoff victories any day of the week....and he did this with Smith and Kaepernick. Look at his CFB resume before arriving to the 49'ers....it wasn't chopped liver. Michigan just hasn't worked out like he had hoped but his 49-22 record isn't horrible. Many CFB teams would take that record for their school.

Everyone has pretty much failed at beasting OSU. But the staff and his ability is not in question. He won in the NFL and college (not OSU and no national championship) but won. And his OL and DL has been top 10-15 almost every single year

Not everyone.

We are an NFL team, pretty sure (unless we installed the Run and Shoot) we are going to be running a spread offence. And when you have the almost for certain top draft pick at QB and 2 five star recruit WRs and 3 five star OL. You can beat alot of people just by out scoring them.

Bottom line is Harbaugh is a great HC idea. And so is Bill Cowher who appears to be getting an itch to return to the sidelines. Stating that he was not going to be talking about any coaching position that is not open. Meaning unless they are already (Texans, Lions, Falcons) looking. He is not saying anything about it. True, he would be amazing but realistically Easterby and Cal would keep him away. Bob McNair was the only one who might have gotten him to come here. Sadly he was not interested in coaching at the time...

Read this. Proof that Cal is all but letting Watson pick a HC... not a GM perhaps. And read what Watson himself says. Then say that he is not all but the person picking from the list he gets

Good. Hopefully it’s a HC that actually has an offensive scheme. Unlike that incompetent, useless jag off we had faking it for the past 6-7 years. A good HC along with a good GM and we’re off to see brighter days...

I’m learning towards Eberflus, Saleh or even Bowles. The defense needs some serious help. The offense can get better instantly by just hiring a competent o-line coach.

All 3 are Defense minded coaches. Bowles didn't do anything in his single (and apparently why) HC job. We are going with an offensive coach. I can assure you of that almost 100% because Cal is leaning on Watson almost to the point Watson is the only one who matters (article is up you can see how it is worded). We already know he is going to not upset Watson. So a D minded HC is all but out. To a degree, I don't like it. But, we might have a slight chance of an ok HC... but doubt it unless Easterby leaves (not happening).

Read this. Proof that Cal is all but letting Watson pick a HC... not a GM perhaps. And read what Watson himself says. Then say that he is not all but the person picking from the list he gets

Lol the article says virtually nothing that you're claiming that it says

That was a massive leap in logic from “a lot of trust” and “A lot of respect between me and Mr. McNair.” to Watson is picking the HC. Seriously I know you often don’t research before you post but you could at least read the article you, yourself posted.
Just don’t even acknowledge is posts, that’s the only way he’ll go away. It’s like that one posters that thinks his opinion is fact/bible, repeating the same baseless bullsh1t every single say because everyone keeps replying.

I’m learning towards Eberflus, Saleh or even Bowles. The defense needs some serious help. The offense can get better instantly by just hiring a competent o-line coach.
So once the defense is fixed & the offense is in shambles are we going to fire him & get an offensive HC? When the ST is holding us back are we going to fire him & get a ST HC?

We need a HC, not another overpaid coordinator.

So once the defense is fixed & the offense is in shambles are we going to fire him & get an offensive HC? When the ST is holding us back are we going to fire him & get a ST HC?

How do most head coaches come to be? I was always under the impression that they usually earned their spurs as coordinators, especially at the NFL level.
Are the Texans enough of a dumpster fire to go full-on Cleveland Browns and hire their own Freddie Kitchens?

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-49ers-got-rid-of-jim-harbaugh-2014-12

Good story on the Harbaugh / 49'ers situation. He and the new GM didn't see eye to eye and York didn't stay on Harbaugh's side. If the Texans secure a GM who see's eye to eye with Harbaugh.....it could yield great results.
The concern with Harbaugh is at some point, his temperament and personality leads to him not seeing eye to eye with someone. I don't see him as a long term solution.

Jim Harbaugh admits his personality can 'wear out' his welcome, shows winning drive in 'Real Sports' interview - mlive.com

Enough with the Harbaugh crap. He's a hot head whose energy is a welcome site at first to teams that have been in the doldrums for a while. It helps the FO revive the fanbase initially. But eventually that "fire" turns to tempermental, childish behavior that puts the dude at odds with those in charge and in some cases those under him.

Come to think of it, Didn't we just fire this type of guy?

All 3 are Defense minded coaches. Bowles didn't do anything in his single (and apparently why) HC job. We are going with an offensive coach. I can assure you of that almost 100% because Cal is leaning on Watson almost to the point Watson is the only one who matters (article is up you can see how it is worded). We already know he is going to not upset Watson. So a D minded HC is all but out. To a degree, I don't like it. But, we might have a slight chance of an ok HC... but doubt it unless Easterby leaves (not happening).
Based upon your interpretation of an article.

I can't assure you or anyone else who, or even what kind of coach the Texans are going to wind up with. I was merely stating what my preference, right now, is. And that is based on the talent level on both sides of the ball. I feel like a better than adequate coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball will yield great dividends (especially if the Texans can find a legit #1 RB). On the other hand, the defense requires near stellar level coaching for the talent currently invested in that unit + the talent that will likely be exiting the team in the very near future.

That's my .02 cents. Others would prefer an offensive minded HC to elevate Watson to the next level, and I can certainly see that side of it as well. Seeing as how well he has preformed under Tim Kelly, and w/o any kind of running game whatsoever, I feel like they can get by with a good OC and whoever that person brings with him as his assistants.

Did I ever write "ignore the offense" as your comment alludes to?

Where do you think HC's come from? Do they just sprout of the ground? No. Many (most) of them were once positional and/or OC's/DC's.

He's a serial competitor and he's not right unless he's competing against someone...He'll invent some slight to him to create that fire. Those types of guys usually win at the highest levels at every level they've played on & its what makes them great, so people put up with it....Guys like MJ...Kobe....etc...

The thing with Harbaugh though, is to my knowledge he's never won at that highest level....except in like 1-AAA......which is right up there with Buddy Stephens and all the JUCO championships he's won.....i.e. that s&^% don't count lol.

Anyway, until he wins either on the college level and/or the pro level, I just think he'll continue to get worse. He needs to take a page from Dick Vermeil & Tom Coughlin. Guys who had a certain way of doing things for years & had enjoyed success but their ways irritated and/or ran people off or in the case of Vermeil, ran himself off. Anyway neither guy won the big one until they changed their approach & eased off the gas pedal a little bit.

DW4 will get the HC he wants

Regardless of how you want to interpret this article.

This org is so dysfunctional

Hey Cal, keep on cashing those checks.

Cal and Janice are going to pick who they are going to pick. I would not doubt that they are doing 'due diligence' and part of that process is talking with the franchise QB, but I have no doubt that the ultimate decisions of GM and HC will be by the McNairs.

Keep your eyes on the ball. They should get the credit - and blame - of the eventual results of who they pick. All this other stuff just seems like smoke and mirrors and a whole lot of subjective opinions.

He's a serial competitor and he's not right unless he's competing against someone...He'll invent some slight to him to create that fire. Those types of guys usually win at the highest levels at every level they've played on & its what makes them great, so people put up with it....Guys like MJ...Kobe....etc...

The thing with Harbaugh though, is to my knowledge he's never won at that highest level....except in like 1-AAA......which is right up there with Buddy Stephens and all the JUCO championships he's won.....i.e. that s&^% don't count lol.

Anyway, until he wins either on the college level and/or the pro level, I just think he'll continue to get worse. He needs to take a page from Dick Vermeil & Tom Coughlin. Guys who had a certain way of doing things for years & had enjoyed success but their ways irritated and/or ran people off or in the case of Vermeil, ran himself off. Anyway neither guy won the big one until they changed their approach & eased off the gas pedal a little bit.

As an ex-Washington Football Team fan, I'm always skeptical of the Big Name hire. Joe Gibbs was going to be the man to change our culture from a culture of losers to a culture of winners. He went 30-34. With Gibbs, though, it could be argued that he was too old and too far removed from the modern game. So Dan Snyder makes a 2nd Big Name in hire in Mike Shanahan. It made sense because Shanahan was a "winner," he knows how to run an organization, he's a leader of men, he coached Elway, etc., etc. He went 24-40.

The point is that I'm not sure hiring a Big Name coach is any better than hiring a relatively inexperienced coordinator. Mike Tomlin was a DC for a season in Minnesota. Sean McVay was a coordinator for a couple of seasons. Obviously, Mike Vrabel was a coordinator for only one year. And Clemson had a lowly wide receivers coach who got thrust into the HC job and won a couple of national championships.

How do most head coaches come to be? I was always under the impression that they usually earned their spurs as coordinators,
Did I ever write "ignore the offense" as your comment alludes to?

Where do you think HC's come from? Do they just sprout of the ground? No. Many (most) of them were once positional and/or OC's/DC's.

The point I had issue with is this,

I said the same thing to guys wanting Bieniemy because of the KC offense.

The offense/defense they run is obviously a part of the equation. But it should just be a part.

We need a HC. Not an overpaid coordinator.

The concern with Harbaugh is at some point, his temperament and personality leads to him not seeing eye to eye with someone. I don't see him as a long term solution.

Jim Harbaugh admits his personality can 'wear out' his welcome, shows winning drive in 'Real Sports' interview - mlive.com

If he could get the Texans to a SB within his 4th season....you'd have no interest? Harbaugh wants to win and that's his bottom line. You have to trust a guy like that and I think Harbaugh had his ideas and the GM/York had theirs....it didn't match. I believe Harbaugh is a coaches coach between the lines and the issues he had with SF was exclusively with the FO. The SF GM did not hire Harbaugh and that might've been the issue from the get-go.

Forgive me if this has been posted already.

After reading that, I think I'd be happy with Joe Brady as well. Seems like he's a guy who knows how to craft an offense around a qb's skill set without making it too gimmicky or overly depending on a guy's ability to run like Daboll and Roman.

If he could get the Texans to a SB within his 4th season....you'd have no interest? Harbaugh wants to win and that's his bottom line. You have to trust a guy like that and I think Harbaugh had his ideas and the GM/York had theirs....it didn't match. I believe Harbaugh is a coaches coach between the lines and the issues he had with SF was exclusively with the FO. The SF GM did not hire Harbaugh and that might've been the issue from the get-go.

Not true...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...baugh-didnt-know-what-he-was-doing-with-49ers

Check out the article I put up at post #680 and see if your opinion doesn't change. He treated everyone in the SF front office like an enemy.

He needs a good strain of medical marijuana and a doctor's note before he starts calling the NFL again.

Last edited:

I thought McCloughan was still there when Harbaugh arrived. In reality, the 49'ers had their heart set on Harbaugh and figured they needed a solid GM in place to make that happen. They promoted Baake to GM around the same time the team lured Harbaugh away from Stanford in 2011. In 2014, after a loss to Seattle, Baake's daughter tweeted out a recommendation that the team fire OC, Greg Roman which could've escalated an already simmering relationship. Baake got Harbaugh out and Chip Kelly in, that move got them both fired in 2016. Does all the blame for a sour relationship fall on Harbaugh or does Baake get some of the blame?

I'd still give Harbaugh a shot with the right GM based on his success in building the 49'ers into winners and doing it in short order.

Enough with the Harbaugh crap. He's a hot head whose energy is a welcome site at first to teams that have been in the doldrums for a while. It helps the FO revive the fanbase initially. But eventually that "fire" turns to tempermental, childish behavior that puts the dude at odds with those in charge and in some cases those under him.

Come to think of it, Didn't we just fire this type of guy?

You would have a problem with John Harbaugh coaching the Texans too.

Thing is McCloughan/Jim Harbaugh built those 49ers teams. They lost a power struggle to Baalke and the York's/Fans suffered the consequences of York's decisions.

It will never happen but my choices for the Texans GM/Jobs would be McCloughan/Harbaugh. Because they've proven they work well together and can put a SB worthy talented team on the field.

Yes. I would take a SB within his 4th season. But, what if it's just a SB appearance? What next, another HC search. Also, as far as getting along with his coaches:

David Shaw explains the good and bad with Jim Harbaugh, U-M coach takes heat as compliment - mlive.com

"One person who knows as much about the inner-workings of Harbaugh's brain as anyone is Stanford coach David Shaw, who road the wave -- good and bad -- as an assistant with Michigan's new coach at San Diego and Stanford before becoming the Cardinal's head man in 2011.

According to Shaw, working with or under Harbaugh is no picnic. But, again. It produces results.

"I don't have a medical degree, I don't have a Ph.D in psychology or psychiatry," Shaw said on the Rich Eisen Show earlier this week, when asked if Harbaugh's actually insane. "Jim is out there, Jim is who he is. There's no hiding it. Everybody's seen it. He drives people, he pushes people, he is the most competitive person on the planet. It's just who he is.

"He's going to rub some people the wrong way. He's going to find a way to win football games, because that's what he does. Some people are going to wear out (being around him). Jim admits that himself. He has a tendency to wear people out at times. You get the good with the bad and what you get from Jim is 100 miles an hour from day one."

Yes. I would take a SB within his 4th season. But, what if it's just a SB appearance? What next, another HC search. Also, as far as getting along with his coaches:

David Shaw explains the good and bad with Jim Harbaugh, U-M coach takes heat as compliment - mlive.com

"One person who knows as much about the inner-workings of Harbaugh's brain as anyone is Stanford coach David Shaw, who road the wave -- good and bad -- as an assistant with Michigan's new coach at San Diego and Stanford before becoming the Cardinal's head man in 2011.

According to Shaw, working with or under Harbaugh is no picnic. But, again. It produces results.

"I don't have a medical degree, I don't have a Ph.D in psychology or psychiatry," Shaw said on the Rich Eisen Show earlier this week, when asked if Harbaugh's actually insane. "Jim is out there, Jim is who he is. There's no hiding it. Everybody's seen it. He drives people, he pushes people, he is the most competitive person on the planet. It's just who he is.

"He's going to rub some people the wrong way. He's going to find a way to win football games, because that's what he does. Some people are going to wear out (being around him). Jim admits that himself. He has a tendency to wear people out at times. You get the good with the bad and what you get from Jim is 100 miles an hour from day one."

how’s that 100 mph working out in Michigan?

You would have a problem with John Harbaugh coaching the Texans too.

Thing is McCloughan/Jim Harbaugh built those 49ers teams. They lost a power struggle to Baalke and the York's/Fans suffered the consequences of York's decisions.

It will never happen but my choices for the Texans GM/Jobs would be McCloughan/Harbaugh. Because they've proven they work well together and can put a SB worthy talented team on the field.

Indeed they do and they built a winner pretty quick in San Francisco.

Back