Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

I don't think the Texans would get a lot of pushback if they reached out to Bill Polian as a consultant/mentor for the McNair's so he could really teach them what is involved in building a championship organization.

I think they need to bring someone in & step aside.

I think bringing in Dan Reeves a while back was the best thing Bob ever did. I never understood why Dan disappeared afterwards. That opened the door for Kubiak to “hire” his GM.

Peyton Manning as VP of football operations works for me. GM? No.

Heck, I’d bring Belichick in as VP of football operations if he’s tired of Boston.

Whoever it is, Cal should have a (one) football mind that he & the family can lias through

Someone to get the ship sailing in a straight line. Cal and Co are not the answer. And a firm and committee is not working. You have to have feet on the ground that know football. That is going to find a GM who is a good talent eye for getting someone who can evaluator talent and make an impact in the FA periods. And mostly that can pick a HC who he can work with day in day out. Since Dom and Charles we have not had that.

This is interesting. The Chronicle have an article on 34 year old Patriots LB coach, Jerod Mayo. Is he on the Texans HC list? Are they expecting him to be the next Brian Flores? He's only been coaching for two years and the Chronicle have him as a rising star? What has he accomplished to be a rising star? Has the Chronicle extended their PR services to every assistant coach on the Patriots' staff? Inquiring minds want to know.

New England’s Jerod Mayo a rising star in NFL coaching circles - HoustonChronicle.com

This is interesting. The Chronicle have an article on 34 year old Patriots LB coach, Jerod Mayo. Is he on the Texans HC list? Are they expecting him to be the next Brian Flores? He's only been coaching for two years and the Chronicle have him as a rising star? What has he accomplished to be a rising star? Has the Chronicle extended their PR services to every assistant coach on the Patriots' staff? Inquiring minds want to know.

New England’s Jerod Mayo a rising star in NFL coaching circles - HoustonChronicle.com

Lowering the bar for when the guys they like go somewhere else.

It's the Chronicle? :lol:

I'd like to see a HC, OC and DC unit featuring these coaches:

HC- June Jones / NFL HC'ing experience as well as CFL and the XFL. / First QB to make Mouse Davis's Run-N-Shoot offense relevant in CFB while at Portland State. Knows the intracacies of the Run-N-Shoot as good as anyone left in the business. I like his sideline demeanor.

OC- Art Briles / A very good friend of June Jones who also not only fully understands the Run-N-Shoot offense but he really made his Spread Offense special at Baylor University. I believe.....if Jones and Briles get to put their knowledge together and allow the talented Watson run whatever they conceive, it could be pretty high octane and special.

DC- Jerry Olsavsky / Long time Steelers player and coach who learned a lot under the guidance of Steelers great DC, Dick LeBeau. Olsavsky has served as the Steelers Defensive Assistant and is currently their ILB Coach (since 2015). I'd sure like to lure this guy from Pittsburgh and let him bring the Steelers 3-4 defense to the Texans. Dude was a hard nosed player and coaches in the same manner. I also like the knowledge he would bring to the LB'ers.

To be fair it ain't just the chronicle..

NBC Sports - Could Pats assistant Jerod Mayo become a head coach soon?

and SI a year ago - Patriots' Joe Judge and Jerod Mayo Are Gaining Ground as Young Head Coaching Candidates in NFL

I think I have an idea of a very good HC who might be interested and available soon. With a trip to the SB and working with mobile QBs on his resume. Seeing I just saw this and I was born in Michigan and have friends who knows people who work in the higher end of the athletic department. They said that they will be talking to him about stepping down after the season.

It’s time for the Jim Harbaugh era at Michigan to come to an end
The hardest thing to do is to say goodbye to a place or thing you love dearly. Both sides must come to this conclusion.

I think I have an idea of a very good HC who might be interested and available soon. With a trip to the SB and working with mobile QBs on his resume. Seeing I just saw this and I was born in Michigan and have friends who knows people who work in the higher end of the athletic department. They said that they will be talking to him about stepping down after the season.

It’s time for the Jim Harbaugh era at Michigan to come to an end
The hardest thing to do is to say goodbye to a place or thing you love dearly. Both sides must come to this conclusion.

Interesting, but he will probably want full control... in that case no thanks

After that ass whipping they took last week, I thought about Harbaugh as a potential HC candidate. But he’s a slightly less irritable BoB..and when you consider the circumstances of how he was dismissed in SF...do we really want another red ass coming here to shake up an already fragile situation?

After that ass whipping they took last week, I thought about Harbaugh as a potential HC candidate. But he’s a slightly less irritable BoB..and when you consider the circumstances of how he was dismissed in SF...do we really want another red ass coming here to shake up an already fragile situation?
Good point. Fair or not. After this experience with King BOB, when Harbaugh is mentioned, I immediately think of the reports of his behavior in SF and how he might have less interpersonal skills than BOB.

Good point. Fair or not. After this experience with King BOB, when Harbaugh is mentioned, I immediately think of the reports of his behavior in SF and how he might have less interpersonal skills than BOB.

BOB Trumps Harbaugh by miles lol. Dude wasn’t trying to be the GM, HC, OC, VP and etc like ole Bull O’Brien. Harbaugh did adjust his offense to fit Kap and go deep into the playoffs unlike O’Brien.

BOB Trumps Harbaugh by miles lol. Dude wasn’t trying to be the GM, HC, OC, VP and etc like ole Bull O’Brien. Harbaugh did adjust his offense to fit Kap and go deep into the playoffs unlike O’Brien.
True, but the environment around the team was just as toxic. There were reports that Harbaugh wasn’t speaking to the owner, GM and even players. Would see them in the building and just walk right pass them without acknowledging them.

True, but the environment around the team was just as toxic. There were reports that Harbaugh wasn’t speaking to the owner, GM and even players. Would see them in the building and just walk right pass them without acknowledging them.

Reports are rumors. No way he stayed at Michigan this long if that was a fact. He has to answer to multiple people above him. He has a say but it is the athletic director of the football program (I think that's his title) about who they go after player wise. And while no national championship in Michigan, he has won everywhere he has been. With a good GM and owner and a hand picked OC and O coaches and the same with DC and coaches...why would he not be a good pick.

Lord knows the owner will feed a guy like him grapes.

Reports are rumors. No way he stayed at Michigan this long if that was a fact. He has to answer to multiple people above him. He has a say but it is the athletic director of the football program (I think that's his title) about who they go after player wise. And while no national championship in Michigan, he has won everywhere he has been. With a good GM and owner and a hand picked OC and O coaches and the same with DC and coaches...why would he not be a good pick.

There's no 'athletic director of football'. There's an Athletic Director who oversees the coaching staffs of all athletic programs of a university, but not any one for any one sport. The 'athletic director' of any big time program in D1 football is in fact the Head Coach. And that head coach decides what players to go after.

just like the reports about BoB and what he was doing on Kirby were “rumors” until he got fired...then according to media outlets here, turned out to be fact.

Jim Harbaugh has been a successful HC at every stop in his coaching career. His contract with Michigan is up after the 2021 season and the university hasn't started discussion about an extension. I believe Harbaugh is available now and wouldn't cost a NFL team anything to get him away from Michigan. I believe no matter who comes to Michigan.....they'll be playing catch-up to Ohio St. Just like the SEC and Alabama. To this day, Texas A&M would've done so much better had they pursued Harbaugh and I believe Harbaugh would've been better served had he been coaching the Aggies versus the Wolverines. Expectations were high in Michigan when they landed the HC who played for them and had taken the 49'ers to the SB......reminds me of when Walsh left the 49'ers for Stanford and the expectations of their fans b/c of his NFL success.

I don't see Harbaugh as a hard guy to get along with after reading several articles about him last night. He's an absolute competitor and expected the same from everyone around him. None of us will ever really know why there was such a fall-out with the 49'ers GM but it was 100% certain that they didn't see eye to eye. By the same token, I didn't see anything that would've led me to believe he was obstinate when it came to working with a GM and that he would demand to be in total control. His brother has worked very well with his GM's in Baltimore and has had plenty of talks with his brother. So in all reality, I think it would come down to who the Texans hired as GM and whether they can sit down and come together on a singular direction.

Harbaugh's coordinator's with the 49'ers:
OC- Greg Roman (Currently OC for Baltimore)
DC- Vic Fangio (Currently HC for Denver)

Harbaugh's coordinator's with Michigan:
OC- Josh Gattis ( New OC brought in to install new and current offense. His offense is a lot like the spread and has been named, "Speed In Space Offense" that is run in a "No-Huddle" formation. This offense was put in at the start of 2019 and hasn't been fully installed as the team is now recruiting to add players to fit the scheme. I think this would be a really cool offense at the NFL level

DC- Don Brown (A defensive whiz who's successfully applied his desire to win at every stop in his coaching career. His 'VIPER Defense" is an all out attack scheme with DB's playing extremely aggressive. His base scheme is 3-4 but often morphs into a 4-6 attack. He's a solid teacher and has a proven track record of coaching his players up.)

What is so cool about this hierarchy.......Harbaugh hands the reins to the offense and defense to his coordinators instead of trying to micro-manage those coaches. Harbaugh prefers to manage the team. In the NFL.....their key to success would involve both Harbaugh and the GM being on board with the approach and knowing exactly what type of players will be needed to make the schemes successful. It would be imperative that the GM and Director of Player Personnel be talented at identifying talent and be flexible enough to be able to identify players who fit the scheme.

Jim Harbaugh has been a successful HC at every stop in his coaching career. His contract with Michigan is up after the 2021 season and the university hasn't started discussion about an extension. I believe Harbaugh is available now and wouldn't cost a NFL team anything to get him away from Michigan. I believe no matter who comes to Michigan.....they'll be playing catch-up to Ohio St. Just like the SEC and Alabama. To this day, Texas A&M would've done so much better had they pursued Harbaugh and I believe Harbaugh would've been better served had he been coaching the Aggies versus the Wolverines. Expectations were high in Michigan when they landed the HC who played for them and had taken the 49'ers to the SB......reminds me of when Walsh left the 49'ers for Stanford and the expectations of their fans b/c of his NFL success.

I don't see Harbaugh as a hard guy to get along with after reading several articles about him last night. He's an absolute competitor and expected the same from everyone around him. None of us will ever really know why there was such a fall-out with the 49'ers GM but it was 100% certain that they didn't see eye to eye. By the same token, I didn't see anything that would've led me to believe he was obstinate when it came to working with a GM and that he would demand to be in total control. His brother has worked very well with his GM's in Baltimore and has had plenty of talks with his brother. So in all reality, I think it would come down to who the Texans hired as GM and whether they can sit down and come together on a singular direction.

OC- Josh Gattis ( New OC brought in to install new and current offense. His offense is a lot like the spread and has been named, "Speed In Space Offense" that is run in a "No-Huddle" formation. This offense was put in at the start of 2019 and hasn't been fully installed as the team is now recruiting to add players to fit the scheme. I think this would be a really cool offense at the NFL level

DC- Don Brown (A defensive whiz who's successfully applied his desire to win at every stop in his coaching career. His 'VIPER Defense" is an all out attack scheme with DB's playing extremely aggressive. His base scheme is 3-4 but often morphs into a 4-6 attack. He's a solid teacher and has a proven track record of coaching his players up.)

What is so cool about this hierarchy.......Harbaugh hands the reins to the offense and defense to his coordinators instead of trying to micro-manage those coaches. Harbaugh prefers to manage the team. In the NFL.....their key to success would involve both Harbaugh and the GM being on board with the approach and knowing exactly what type of players will be needed to make the schemes successful. It would be imperative that the GM and Director of Player Personnel be talented at identifying talent and be flexible enough to be able to identify players who fit the scheme.

Lol, Jim Harbaugh might possibly be more unstable than BoB was...and that's saying something. Over the course of his football CAREER, Dude has gotten into it with EVERYBODY.

As a player, broke his hand trying to go after media members.

As a college coach, bad mouthed 2 of his own players headed to the draft & caused their stocks to drop ...either b/c he didn't care for them or b/c he was upset they were entering the draft & he didn't want them to leave. ....Beefing with his former NFL players on twitter....

As a pro coach - fighting with opposing coaches at mid field....beefing with the GM & owner.

Just about everywhere he goes, controversy follows & folks quickly get tired of his act. No reason to believe it would change if he came here. It's 1 thing to be so competitive, you can't stand losing...it's another to let your competitive keep you in "resting asshole face" mode.

Lol, Jim Harbaugh might possibly be more unstable than BoB was...and that's saying something. Over the course of his football CAREER, Dude has gotten into it with EVERYBODY.

As a player, broke his hand trying to go after media members.

As a college coach, bad mouthed 2 of his own players headed to the draft & caused their stocks to drop ...either b/c he didn't care for them or b/c he was upset they were entering the draft & he didn't want them to leave. ....Beefing with his former NFL players on twitter....

As a pro coach - fighting with opposing coaches at mid field....beefing with the GM & owner.

Just about everywhere he goes, controversy follows & folks quickly get tired of his act. No reason to believe it would change if he came here. It's 1 thing to be so competitive, you can't stand losing...it's another to let your competitive keep you in "resting asshole face" mode.

If Houston, arsehole face and Super Bowl had to be uttered in the same sentence in regards to the Texans....I’d take his personality for 4+ years.....hail, we put up with OB for 6+ years and didn’t even get a courtesy reach around.

If Houston, arsehole face and Super Bowl had to be uttered in the same sentence in regards to the Texans....I’d take his personality for 4+ years.....hail, we put up with OB for 6+ years and didn’t even get a courtesy reach around.

What about "asshole face" Harbaugh costs team a trip to AFCCG/SB? Does that sound good? & the key phrase in your statement above is "put up with"...As we saw with BoB, that type of nonsense grates on players and we as a fan base should be worn out from BoB of guys coming in with that type of crap.

Catch more bees with honey. Need a uniter, a leader..... not a guy who still thinks and acts like he's a player on the field.

We can also hope a failed retread can work some NFL magic, like Belichick, Carroll, Vermeil...
Yeah you can always hope but those guys had/have full and complete control of all football operations. At this point that is not part of the Kirby boardroom logic and general thinking, especially after they just suffered through it with O'Brien.

My point exactly. I would love to have him and a GM that get along with each other here.

Do not bring Jim Harbaugh here!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, NBC Sports is quoting Aaron Wilson of the Chronicle.

"Mayo is "emerging as a rising star in NFL coaching circles," the Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reported this weekend, sharing conversations with NFL sources who believe the ex-Patriot could be a head coach very soon".

To be fair, NBC Sports is quoting Aaron Wilson of the Chronicle.

"Mayo is "emerging as a rising star in NFL coaching circles," the Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reported this weekend, sharing conversations with NFL sources who believe the ex-Patriot could be a head coach very soon".

I have seen him mentioned a little more now. However, I honestly don't know much about him. As they said "emerging rising star"

Another interesting HC candidate could be Keith Butler, current DC for the Steelers. I seen his name mentioned as a solid candidate in an article I read. They mentioned he could be a great hire if he takes a page from Steelers HC's past and hired a top flight OC to run the offense while he focused his help on rebuilding the Texans defense in short order....2023 by my calculations would be fair. The article also mentioned his amazing relationship with TJ Watt who will be available come 2022....same year JJ is also available and maybe uniting them in Houston versus Pittsburgh. I could live with option if even remotely possible.

Listening to NFL Radio this morning....both Charlie Weiss and the other host stated that the Texans would be the most desired job opening at the moment based strictly on the new staff having "Watson" to work with. I would suspect, if asked, an overwhelming amount of football minds would concur with this sentiment.

Listening to NFL Radio this morning....both Charlie Weiss and the other host stated that the Texans would be the most desired job opening at the moment based strictly on the new staff having "Watson" to work with. I would suspect, if asked, an overwhelming amount of football minds would concur with this sentiment.
I wonder why Weiss isn’t a HC anymore.

I hope Bo’b reached out to him when he became available. Probably would have saved his job.

Too much risk for me. We have to hit home run with these choices.

Are you crazy ?! He'd still be running the same garbage offense.

I want an upgrade and a WCO guy.

Kelly has actually been doing a better job without Bull O’Brien. The only issue we still have is the blocking in run pro. Get rid of Delvin and improve your oline play all around and Kelly and the offense will be even better.

So now you want a QB to switch to a WCO offense after playing in this system for basically 3 seasons. Why change that up when he’s playing at a very high level?

So now you want a QB to switch to a WCO offense after playing in this system for basically 3 seasons. Why change that up when he’s playing at a very high level?

Because I think you can get even more out of his talents in that scheme Vs the current one. His greatest attribute is his mobility - Make use of it and put pressure on the DB's forcing them to commit one way or another which will result in easy yards rather than asking him to stand in the pocket - the square peg in a round hole that we've all complained about at one time or another.

Are you crazy ?! He'd still be running the same garbage offense.

I want an upgrade and a WCO guy.
A case and point is Dan Quinn (who has similar resume as Saleh) was DC for SEA before he was HC for ATL, went to the Super Bowl with Kyle Shanahan (a WCO guy) as his OC. After Kyle left the offense sucked and Dan got fired.

Back