Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gary Kubiak Press Conference

[Caller]: I've heard about mediocre changes or things we hope for, we're playing against an arrogant coach in Rex Ryan. I imagine he's confident. I havent heard anything on what we are going to change. Or is anything going to change? What are some of the mediocre things you hope to see change? Anything you can tell us you have planned that will be different or noticeable?

GK: No big changes. We gotta give more guys opportunities. No lineup changes. No lack of effort on our part. We're just not doing good. Nothing will change on who is calling the D. We need to improve and will do everything we can.

:mariopalm::kubepalm::wadepalm::facepalm:

:wow:

I think he's done and packed it in. He is just going through the motions now. He is lost and doesn't know what to do. He gambled on a young inexperienced secondary and lost. The players have lost focus as a team. The Kubiak experiment is over and it failed. He knows it too. Too bad. I really liked the guy and really wanted him to work out here. It just didn't happen.

This is the thing he said that really bothered me... while he basically admitted our D sucks...he's not changing anything..
That makes absolutely NO sense...can anyone explain it to this obviously low minded fan??? 'Cause I just don't get it.

I've got a group of guys that have a job to do. They are over their head, but doesn't change the fact, that I've got a job to do, & I've got to do it with the guys I've got.

It's not that my guys are stupid, or can't do the work, it's that they are inexperienced. When we're working with a good job plan, we're very good at what we do. When things start going to hell, & we have to adjust on the fly, pressure is on, and things are happening at a fast pace... we have issues.

I'm not going to tell them they suck, or that I don't believe in them. I'm going to blow smoke up their butts, just like I'll blow smoke up to the people I report through.

When they screw up, I get on them. I work with them to correct deficiencies. But I don't ratt on them to the people I work for. I hold them accountable. They might not be fired next week, I might have the same guy leading the next job.... it's just the way it is.

I've got a group of guys that have a job to do. They are over their head, but doesn't change the fact, that I've got a job to do, & I've got to do it with the guys I've got.

It's not that my guys are stupid, or can't do the work, it's that they are inexperienced. When we're working with a good job plan, we're very good at what we do. When things start going to hell, & we have to adjust on the fly, pressure is on, and things are happening at a fast pace... we have issues.

I'm not going to tell them they suck, or that I don't believe in them. I'm going to blow smoke up their butts, just like I'll blow smoke up to the people I report through.

When they screw up, I get on them. I work with them to correct deficiencies. But I don't ratt on them to the people I work for. I hold them accountable. They might not be fired next week, I might have the same guy leading the next job.... it's just the way it is.

Bullshit. You fire them.

Not right away, but after seeing the same old mistakes, YOU FIRE THEM.

Goddamn these excuses are getting SO old!

Bullshit. You fire them.

I wonder if TK watches "The Apprentice."

When The Donald taps that desk, and points at you, you know what time it is.

Bullshit. You fire them.

Bullshit.

If I don't think they can do the job, that they'll never catch on..... yeah, I'll fire them.

If they keep making the same stupid mistakes....... yeah, I'll fire them.

If they blatantly do something I told them not to do...... yeah, I'll fire them.

I'm not making excuses, no more sunshine from me.

My point is holding someone accountable does not mean firing them, doesn't mean to call them out to the media. That's playground ****.

Doesn't work like that for you in your job, doesn't work like that for anyone...... depending on how bad the infraction of course.

Agree to an extent. I have guys that work for me that have been with me for several years. I've covered for them and tried to teach them, but sometimes they just don't get it (or don't care). I recently had to sit a few of them down and tell them that "by them not doing their job, eventually it's going to jeopardize mine, and I will not tolerate that". I then explained to them how I have covered for them long enough and that we are only as strong as our weakest link. They were put on notice that their work ethic has been below acceptable and if they continue to perform as such, they will be terminated. One of them has been with me for about 8 years and I've taken him under my wing, mainly because I feel sorry for him. Regardless, I have a job to do and they get paid to do theirs. Like I told them, "I don't see you giving your paycheck back when you're not doing your job, so from here on out, don't expect to keep receiving one when your not performing your duties."

Bullshit.

If I don't think they can do the job, that they'll never catch on..... yeah, I'll fire them.

If they keep making the same stupid mistakes....... yeah, I'll fire them.

If they blatantly do something I told them not to do...... yeah, I'll fire them.

I'm not making excuses, no more sunshine from me.

My point is holding someone accountable does not mean firing them, doesn't mean to call them out to the media. That's playground ****.

Doesn't work like that for you in your job, doesn't work like that for anyone...... depending on how bad the infraction of course.

I am not saying to call someone out to the media. I am saying FIRE THEM. CUT THEM. GET RID OF THEM.

If I make a mistake, my bosses give me a break. But if I keep making the same mistakes over, and over, and over and over and over and over again, and my bosses see that I am not getting it, I will get fired.

As will you. As will anyone.

No one has lifetime job security.

I then explained to them how I have covered for them long enough and that we are only as strong as our weakest link. They were put on notice that their work ethic has been below acceptable and if they continue to perform as such, they will be terminated.

That's basically all I'm saying. You don't have to fire someone to hold them accountable.

You don't need to call them out in a press conference.

What you told them you may have shared with your boss.... no one else.

That's just plain respect for a person.

If you're going to tell me our offense is fine, based on statistics, & those same statistics tell you our defense is bad, it's not too hard to go back to last season.... heck, 10 months ago when our defense was ranked just outside the top 10.

Three months later you want to fire that same guy??

Bull ****!

That's basically all I'm saying. You don't have to fire someone to hold them accountable.

Well, sure. That's one reason I felt that the response to McNair's comments about Kubiak were totally overblown. I don't expect McNair to call out Kubiak in the press.

But, that doesn't mean that I don't expect Kubiak to not be fired, either. Kubiak has not gotten the job done.

If you're going to tell me our offense is fine, based on statistics, & those same statistics tell you our defense is bad, it's not too hard to go back to last season.... heck, 10 months ago when our defense was ranked just outside the top 10.

Three months later you want to fire that same guy??

Bull ****!

I get what you're saying TK. My conversation was strictly between me and my employees, it went no further. My concern with Gary though, is will he be able to drop the axe if the time comes?

I am not saying to call someone out to the media. I am saying FIRE THEM. CUT THEM. GET RID OF THEM.

If I make a mistake, my bosses give me a break. But if I keep making the same mistakes over, and over, and over and over and over and over again, and my bosses see that I am not getting it, I will get fired.

As will you. As will anyone.

No one has lifetime job security.

keep in mind, I agree with you on how pathetic our defense is.

Whose job are we talking about here.

Kareem Jackson?? He fell down three times (maybe four)...... other than that he has had more "good" plays, than "bad" plays.

Amobi?? I agree, but let's wait until we get someone who plays better. If that means we'll have to wait until Bush & Kubiak are gone, then we'll have to wait.

Frank Bush?? Fire him? Now? He did a good job (maybe better than good) last year. It's a little early to fire him now, if you ask me.

I would have fired Quinn right there on the feild, give me your helmet and your jersey son, I will sign you up for volly ball lessons when we get back but that was not a football move.:wadepalm:

keep in mind, I agree with you on how pathetic our defense is.

Whose job are we talking about here.

Kareem Jackson?? He fell down three times (maybe four)...... other than that he has had more "good" plays, than "bad" plays.

Amobi?? I agree, but let's wait until we get someone who plays better. If that means we'll have to wait until Bush & Kubiak are gone, then we'll have to wait.

Frank Bush?? Fire him? Now? He did a good job (maybe better than good) last year. It's a little early to fire him now, if you ask me.

A little early?

You know what. Never mind. You think this team is headed to the Super Bowl.

I really can't believe that GK thinks we're all that naive. Good lord.

I don't know why I'm listening to all of this, it only infuriates me more.

So....he's still keeping Bush because he "believes in him"? That's a bunch of BS. I believe I can jump over the moon, but we all know that **** ain't happening either!

So....he's still keeping Bush because he "believes in him"? That's a bunch of BS. I believe I can jump over the moon, but we all know that **** ain't happening either!

Working for the Texans coaching staff must be a government job. Once you're hired you can't get fired.

McClain: Considering how bad things have been are you worried about your job?

Kubes: I don't worry about such things.

He'd better give it some thought. It might change his sense of urgency from none to some.

He'd better give it some thought. It might change his sense of urgency from none to some.

He said he doesn't worry about himself or what might happen to him but he always worries about his players and coaches. McClain followed it up with, 'so are you worried some of your coaches might get fired' (something like that and Kubiak responded 'that's what I said, I worry about them.' LOL

I'm so sick and tired about hearing him talk about effort.

Kubiak: "Those guys are playing hard and giving great effort."

Fukin' BS! I can run around for 60 minutes too, doesn't mean I know what the hell I'm doing out there. This jackass has got to go....him and his cast of dumbasses he calls coordinators.

hemad.jpg

I would have followed it up with this "What did you tell your players in the locker room after that loss? What was the mood? Are there any players that you can see, after a loss like that, who are addressing the team and trying to keep them all focused, to exhibit leadership? How do you re-focus them after that loss?"

Just pound him with inside fastballs, one right after another, until he freaking explodes and goes Dennis Green out there.

He said he doesn't worry about himself or what might happen to him but he always worries about his players and coaches. McClain followed it up with, 'so are you worried some of your coaches might get fired' (something like that and Kubiak responded 'that's what I said, I worry about them.' LOL

Yeah, I was doing the hurry-up paraphrase...lol.

You know, I actually believe him. I don't think he worries about his job at all. If he's fired, he's fired. He will still eat and pay his bills.

But, he's got an entire staff of people that he brought in and relocated, and they would be affected. That includes significant others, kids, the whole nine. That's got to weigh heavily on him.

I would have followed it up with this "What did you tell your players in the locker room after that loss? What was the mood? Are there any players that you can see, after a loss like that, who are addressing the team and trying to keep them all focused, to exhibit leadership? How do you re-focus them after that loss?"

Just pound him with inside fastballs, one right after another, until he freaking explodes and goes Dennis Green out there.
Yeah except what you just said isn't a fastball at all. It's a typical makes-no-sense press conference question.

LOL! "Oh-and fourteen?? Whaa?? I don't think that's right.

Alot of that going around Kubes. :foottap:

Actually I was looking up the "stat" that the TV posted about that and it's EXTREMELY deceiving. I only got through the first 4 games but I'll go back tonight and make a new thread about it.

We've scored within the final 2 minutes but I think the stat the TV/this reporter was references was talking about the START of the drive being under 2 minutes AND us not scoring. There are several instances where we got the ball late in the half/game and were winning and wanted to run out the clock. lol - but that counts as a no score.

The basis of what we want to look at in that reference is there, it seems we've been unable to move the ball... but it is VERY misleading.

You know, I actually believe him. I don't think he worries about his job at all. If he's fired, he's fired. He will still eat and pay his bills.

But, he's got an entire staff of people that he brought in and relocated, and they would be affected. That includes significant others, kids, the whole nine. That's got to weigh heavily on him.
Maybe he should of thought about that before hiring all his buddies, instead of the ones best suited for the job.

McGobbler told him about the breakdown of the long play at the end of the game that Dungy broke down last night on Football Night in America. Gobbler told him that they said he was in the wrong position and that he should have never given up the outside. Kubiak said he had no idea about the show, but he said that he was in the right coverage. He said he was supposed to be playing the inside.....which is fukin' retarded! Why give up the outside? That statement right there just solidified that he has no idea what he's doing!

Yeah except what you just said isn't a fastball at all. It's a typical makes-no-sense press conference question.

Well, you can't just sit there and RANT on Kubiak like we do. They are JOURNALISTS, wagonhed. They have to phrase it in the form of a question, and you can't very well present a question that is obviously NOT a question.

You have to work the pitch count.

Or you get your press pass revoked.

I want to see someone who has a nasty splitter, someone like Richard Justice, who could pepper Kubiak with a series of questions that just makes Kubiak flip his wig. I think Justice could do it. He's evil like that. And he loves being the bad guy.

Transcript anyone?

Yeah, I was doing the hurry-up paraphrase...lol.

Just trying to relay some more info, it was going really quick. I agree too about believing him. I think he's a guy that REALLY REALLY cares for his players, his staff and his coaches. I think he worries a lot about those guys getting injured, cut, fired, etc. I think you've hit one of the reasons why McNair/Kubiak don't believe in "change for the sake of change" and that's the bolded. But I do have this feeling that there could be some changing that happens sometime in the nearish future.

The only questions that matter to me are the ones that get real answers. I don't give a **** what Gary is doing to re-focus the team. I don't even know what that means. I want to know what actual changes he is going to make, scheme, coaching, players, and how he expects to fix our problems.

Of course, I know he doesn't have any answers to those things, so to be honest press conferences are kinda pointless. There is nothing I can learn from listening to Kubes in a presser that I don't already know after watching him for 5 years.

Back