Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game Review - taped games

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I'd like to do something different this season when it comes to reviewing and critiquing games. I like to tape games and review them and look for the many things I miss during the fast paced and emotional game as it goes down in real time. I pick up many blocks or moments that I miss during the flow of the game as I watch it unfold live.

I'd like to see if any of you guys had an interest in meeting in a chat room on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings 16 times a year (after each game obviously) and we can all watch the our taped games together & we can share what we are looking at and perceive from the broadcast. Viewing taped game film from a TV broadcast isn't as good as watching game film but it is really all we have and I think it would be fun to get together with other Texan fans and point out the little things we perceive from the game that some of us may otherwise miss. We can all fast forward though the commercials and we can probably break down a game in little over an hour or so as we pause to chat about good stuff and some bad stuff from the previous weeks game.

Vinny said:
I'd like to do something different this season when it comes to reviewing and critiquing games. I like to tape games and review them and look for the many things I miss during the fast paced and emotional game as it goes down in real time. I pick up many blocks or moments that I miss during the flow of the game as I watch it unfold live.

I'd like to see if any of you guys had an interest in meeting in a chat room on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings 16 times a year (after each game obviously) and we can all watch the our taped games together & we can share what we are looking at and perceive from the broadcast. Viewing taped game film from a TV broadcast isn't as good as watching game film but it is really all we have and I think it would be fun to get together with other Texan fans and point out the little things we perceive from the game that some of us may otherwise miss. We can all fast forward though the commercials and we can probably break down a game in little over an hour or so as we pause to chat about good stuff and some bad stuff from the previous weeks game.

Good idea!

My wife already makes fun of me for posting during games - tape review at the computer? Ouch - I don't know if I could take the abuse.

On one hand, that sounds awesome.

On the other hand, uh, I would like to keep my marriage intact.

I'd enjoy reading what y'alls thoughts on things are, and if the planets align, be able to participate a time or two.

I'd love to be a part of it. Of course, I'd have to duct tape my four year old to the bedpost, but hey, it's football season. Do what you've gotta' do. ;)

Great idea, Vinny. I think the insight would prove to be invaluable and worth the effort. :thumbup

TexanFan881 said:
How can we watch the game in a chat room? Sounds like a cool idea.
you tape the game in your own home...we watch it together as we all FF thru the commercials. Each quarter generally only has a couple of offensive and defensive possessions. I don't think it would take long to review a game.

I've always taped games. And I watch them during the off season because I love football so much.

I don't watch the NBA or baseball (both seasons are too long among other things). I do watch some college basketball and I really love hockey.

But football is the BEST. So I tape as many college and pro games as I can and keep the tapes because you never know what might happen. And as the original post stated, you can watch different players each time.

Vinny said:
you tape the game in your own home...we watch it together as we all FF thru the commercials. Each quarter generally only has a couple of offensive and defensive possessions. I don't think it would take long to review a game.

That's not going to work for me...I get a maximum of 3 or 4 games on TV a year...

i'm deffinately in. i should have a computer setup near a TV by the time the season starts, but either way it's a great idea. even watching the games live with the chatroom running there are things that one person will catch that everyone else misses. it'd be fun to disect those plays and have more concrete information on the team & how they're playing.

Does the NFL Network replay games during the week?

I would like to do this, but I am little short on time out here during the evenings. Also, I am two hours behind, among other things.

This is really cool though. Good idea.

Great idea Vinny. Perhaps you could do it in a thread format rather than a chat. That way the dialoge wouldn't be lost and could be reviewed by those unable to attend. Prossibly a lttle more cumbersome, but would retain the data.

I re-watch every game but can't commit to a schedule. I usually do it on Monday nights, sometimes on Tuesdays, sometimes at 6 pm, sometimes at 2 am. Chat is not my bag either. I like to watch, rewind, watch, process, watch again, then document. Chat doesn't lend itself to my method of game review. But have fun, I'm sure you'll find several people willing to do it.

Having no idea of how DFW stations are going to handle the Texans in term of telecasts, I probably will be hit or miss in terms of game tape, but i would like the chatroom to join when I can or even just ot take part in the banter.

aj. said:
I re-watch every game but can't commit to a schedule. I usually do it on Monday nights, sometimes on Tuesdays, sometimes at 6 pm, sometimes at 2 am. Chat is not my bag either. I like to watch, rewind, watch, process, watch again, then document. Chat doesn't lend itself to my method of game review. But have fun, I'm sure you'll find several people willing to do it.

What he said. Love to see everyone's ideas. My thought last year when I was posting about the passing O was to get a group of people who would watch certain facets of the game and post their thoughts and let conversation flow. The loose schedule might work better. Then have a Thursday night chat follow up if wanted.

Just traking the game via game book @ NFL.com is pretty good. No it's not like seeing the play, however might help those keep up with the chat who don't have the game. Perhaps the rest of the clan could fill in the gaps.
I got a real beef with the channel for not repalying more games. Enough with the cheerleaders already. Seen one Venus, seen 'em all.

Vinny said:

Sounds like a great idea, count me in assuming you schedule these at a convenient time. Is there a way to try to control it and keep it to intelligent conversation so we don't have a breakout of "X player sucks" posts if someone has a particularly bad game?

We can set up a time that works for most of us....we can move it around depending on our schedules....I'll put up an AIM chatroom that is invite only so that we can breakdown the games in peace. I'll make a thread and have people PM me their AIM screen names to keep out the trolls & I can save the group talk and post it in the game review thread....or something along these lines.

Vinny said:
We can set up a time that works for most of us....we can move it around depending on our schedules....I'll put up an AIM chatroom that is invite only so that we can breakdown the games in peace. I'll make a thread and have people PM me their AIM screen names to keep out the trolls & I can save the group talk and post it in the game review thread....or something along these lines.

Count me in ... I'm sort of conditional because of my sometimes unpredictable schedule, but it sounds like a great idea to me.

Vinny said:

Im in..

edo783 said:
Great idea Vinny. Perhaps you could do it in a thread format rather than a chat. That way the dialoge wouldn't be lost and could be reviewed by those unable to attend. Prossibly a lttle more cumbersome, but would retain the data.

I love that idea, I would like to see what people think as well. :thumbup

I record them all on the Tivo and before last season I was saving them all to DVD. Very long process that is not much fun to do during the good times. Last season I was out by week 5. I just couldn't "archive" that mess. I couldn't stand to watch most of the games more than once.

I'm in on this but I've never so much as touched AIM. I guess I can figure it out easily enough though. I think it's a great idea personally.

I also see where aj and Infantrycak are coming from though. Different people process this stuff at different speeds and in different ways. I always look forward to reading what those two have to say after games so if it needs to be absorbed in peace and quiet then so be it. Now that I think about it I usually do something like that so this will be a change of pace for me too. I'll give it a shot though no promises. I might not be able to contribute squat.

I'll give it a shot too. My schedule is a little bit unpredictable, but I should at least be able to do 4 or 5 games. I'm a bit like aj in that I review games at a bit of an irregular schedule. If I wake up late at night I might pop in the DVD and review the game, or if I'm not doing anything too important during the day I'll spend some time reviewing the game. Definately a good idea.

Is it possible to host it online like on a torrent? On the Rockets board, after every game, the entire game is hosted as well as a highlight package.

We could easily figure something out. If we have enough people we could have two rooms just so things dont get too loud in one room. Pre-season would be a good time to try things out.

edo783 said:

if it were to be in a chatroom, i doubt it'd be difficult at all to save a transcript and create a forum topic based off of the chat. since it'd be fairly difficult to have a forum thread that progresses through the game in a reasonable amount of time (without an insane amount of jumping around through the game), it'd give those who could attend a chance to break down the game in a live format, and then a chance for all others to join in at their leisure - both to add their input and to argue what's been reviewed.

ArlingtonTexan said:
Having no idea of how DFW stations are going to handle the Texans in term of telecasts, I probably will be hit or miss in terms of game tape, but i would like the chatroom to join when I can or even just ot take part in the banter.

Can someone tape the games for us out of towners and make it available for download? Or is that something that can't be done...

Just curious.

EDIT: Didn't see dtran ask about it already...hehe.

Technically, it's not 100% illegal to tape games and send them to somebody...the real crime is in either (A) Charging people to watch the game live, such as at a bar when the game is on live, or (B) Taping the game and then re-airing it for a profit or selling it for a profit.

Think about this: By the time you buy 16 DVDs, ask a person to burn each DVD for you (on their own personal time) and then pay the person to ship each DVD to you, the bill is going to be about as steep as if you'd purchased Sunday Ticket with DirecTV. Granted, you might not have DirecTV for whatever reason. And that's something that's unfortunate. I see a lot of posters gripe about not getting to see the games, and it's actually a simple fix: Get DirecTV, which is practically free to obtain nowadays, pay $45 a month for basic service each month (NFL Network is in the basic package), which is not too far out of line with other cable providers, and save up an extra $200 or $240 bucks each year to get Sunday Ticket--That's roughly $20-a-month. Then, you will have all the access you need: Watch Texans games all season long, watch the re-broadcast on NFL Network, and video tape it all on your own. I will sell plasma if I had to in order to get Sunday Ticket.

Not preaching, just offering to most people what would be the most logical solution (to me) to the problem of "not seeing enough Texans games."

'Cuz you know we ain't seeing them every Sunday on network TV until they've rattled off a couple Super Bowl wins. That'd be the only way the Texans would get shown season-round on CBS (in Texas, at least).

Unfortunately, DirecTV isnt an option for those of us living in apartments with crappy rules about things like satellite dishes on the building, etc. :(

I was sending copies of games to anybody who asked in 2002 and 2003. I did some in 2004 too but not nearly as many. It's insanely exhausting to fill those orders. You're literally spending all of your time burning DVD's.

I'd record the games on my DVR and then save them to DVD. Then I'd make an image of that DVD and from there make copies. Each game was originally around 4GB but I didn't like the quality and I started doing dual discs (one half per DVD) and things got better.

That's 32 discs for a season though. Do you guys have any idea how long it takes to make 32 DVD's? Then do it for 11 people who want the entire season and you look up and there are 352 discs waiting to be burned. It's literally a full time job. By the start of 2005 I was ready to give it up.

MadBurgerMaker said:
Unfortunately, DirecTV isnt an option for those of us living in apartments with crappy rules about things like satellite dishes on the building, etc. :(

If anyone else is having this kind of problem, call DirectTV and check... there used to be (and I think still is) a federal law that allowed dishes on almost any structure if the dish is less than 18 inches across.

This problem popped up recently at the University where I work, they had to allow Dish and DirectTV to install dishes at the dorms. We are currently in talks with both DISH and DirectTV to install one dish each, then feed it to a "data communications" closet for distribution to the rooms... from what I was told this equipment would be supplied at the vendor's expense. So if your apt. bld. has a spare broom closet, suggest to the management they look into upgrading the complex so they can raise your rent!

Back