Game Review - taped games

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'd like to do something different this season when it comes to reviewing and critiquing games. I like to tape games and review them and look for the many things I miss during the fast paced and emotional game as it goes down in real time. I pick up many blocks or moments that I miss during the flow of the game as I watch it unfold live.

I'd like to see if any of you guys had an interest in meeting in a chat room on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings 16 times a year (after each game obviously) and we can all watch the our taped games together & we can share what we are looking at and perceive from the broadcast. Viewing taped game film from a TV broadcast isn't as good as watching game film but it is really all we have and I think it would be fun to get together with other Texan fans and point out the little things we perceive from the game that some of us may otherwise miss. We can all fast forward though the commercials and we can probably break down a game in little over an hour or so as we pause to chat about good stuff and some bad stuff from the previous weeks game.

TexanFan881 likes this.
  2. bayoudreamn

bayoudreamn Veteran

Good idea!

3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

My wife already makes fun of me for posting during games - tape review at the computer? Ouch - I don't know if I could take the abuse.

4. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

Great idea I might get to see more than one or two games that way. If this comes about please keep me posted. Thanks.:yahoo:

5. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

On one hand, that sounds awesome.

On the other hand, uh, I would like to keep my marriage intact.

I'd enjoy reading what y'alls thoughts on things are, and if the planets align, be able to participate a time or two.

Runner likes this.
  6. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

How can we watch the game in a chat room? Sounds like a cool idea.

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I'd love to be a part of it. Of course, I'd have to duct tape my four year old to the bedpost, but hey, it's football season. Do what you've gotta' do. ;)

Great idea, Vinny. I think the insight would prove to be invaluable and worth the effort. :thumbup

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

you tape the game in your own home...we watch it together as we all FF thru the commercials. Each quarter generally only has a couple of offensive and defensive possessions. I don't think it would take long to review a game.

9. afcman

afcman Veteran

I've always taped games. And I watch them during the off season because I love football so much.

I don't watch the NBA or baseball (both seasons are too long among other things). I do watch some college basketball and I really love hockey.

But football is the BEST. So I tape as many college and pro games as I can and keep the tapes because you never know what might happen. And as the original post stated, you can watch different players each time.

10. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

That's hardcore. Good idea.

11. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I do that with my family and friends. It'd be fun to get together with other Texan fans and talk about a game.

12. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

That's not going to work for me...I get a maximum of 3 or 4 games on TV a year...

13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i'm deffinately in. i should have a computer setup near a TV by the time the season starts, but either way it's a great idea. even watching the games live with the chatroom running there are things that one person will catch that everyone else misses. it'd be fun to disect those plays and have more concrete information on the team & how they're playing.

14. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Does the NFL Network replay games during the week?

I would like to do this, but I am little short on time out here during the evenings. Also, I am two hours behind, among other things.

This is really cool though. Good idea.

15. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Great idea Vinny. Perhaps you could do it in a thread format rather than a chat. That way the dialoge wouldn't be lost and could be reviewed by those unable to attend. Prossibly a lttle more cumbersome, but would retain the data.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I don't know how often I'd be able to join in (the whole "keeping my marriage intact" thing) but it sounds like a blast.

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I re-watch every game but can't commit to a schedule. I usually do it on Monday nights, sometimes on Tuesdays, sometimes at 6 pm, sometimes at 2 am. Chat is not my bag either. I like to watch, rewind, watch, process, watch again, then document. Chat doesn't lend itself to my method of game review. But have fun, I'm sure you'll find several people willing to do it.

18. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Having no idea of how DFW stations are going to handle the Texans in term of telecasts, I probably will be hit or miss in terms of game tape, but i would like the chatroom to join when I can or even just ot take part in the banter.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

What he said. Love to see everyone's ideas. My thought last year when I was posting about the passing O was to get a group of people who would watch certain facets of the game and post their thoughts and let conversation flow. The loose schedule might work better. Then have a Thursday night chat follow up if wanted.

20. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Just traking the game via game book @ NFL.com is pretty good. No it's not like seeing the play, however might help those keep up with the chat who don't have the game. Perhaps the rest of the clan could fill in the gaps.
    I got a real beef with the channel for not repalying more games. Enough with the cheerleaders already. Seen one Venus, seen 'em all.