Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know what game you watched. That WAS as embarrassing as they come. That final score was not indicative of the play on the field. The colts rained it in in the second half. They could of ran that score up easily.

momentum was lost early in that game, similar to how it was 3 years ago against the chiefs in the playoffs. Something that has seemed to be O'Brien's achilles heel, regaining momentum once it is lost

Because the offense sucks. Hard to regain momentum when you struggle so much to score TDs

Even with that we were a couple deep passes in our first 2 drives from having momentum not go completely to one side. If Hopkins makes his normal Hopkins like catch we are in prime position to counter their first TD instead of going 3 and out, and if Smith caught what would have been a deep ball TD on the 2nd drive we are sitting at 14-7 instead of going 3 and out

Those plays didn't go our way, and all momentum got sucked to the Colts side.

momentum was lost early in that game, similar to how it was 3 years ago against the chiefs in the playoffs. Something that has seemed to be O'Brien's achilles heel, regaining momentum once it is lost
He’s absolutely horrible at making adjustments. His situational awareness is off the charts bad.

Good coaches have options in place for situations where needed. I watch other teams line up fast and run a play when there is a questionable call. For instance, we’re behind and time is running out in the first half and Miller loses the ball but is called down after making a long run to get us in field goal position. Every good coach should have his team prepared for that situation so that they know to line up fast and get a play off so the opposing coach doesn’t have time to watch the replay and call a timeout. Not OB. I have never seen our team do that.

Every time Watson makes an amazing sideline catch we should have a play ready and get lined up quickly. If nothing else it puts pressure on the opposing coach to make a fast decision.

We never line up fast on fourth and short and try and draw the other team off sides.

We hardly ever change pace.

We are the Houston vanillas. God I hate OB.

Last edited:
just read in the TexansWire that OB wants to keep same staff together for 2019. That concerns me as I'm of the opinion we are in a full rebuild mode, starting with head coach

I was on the fence before, but after hearing him say he wants to keep the same staff in place, and specifically mentioned Mike Devlin, and how he has done an excellent job I have come to the conclusion that OB is blind. And while I support opportunities for people with disabilities being blind is obviously a huge issue when it comes to being a head coach. So yes it is time to fire O'Brien

So next year we are going to make the playoffs and do a 1 and out again I suppose?

Even with improvements to our team, with the schedule we have to face next season playoffs might not happen. Besides playing the AFCS you have the Pats and Ravens plus the AFCW and NFCS which are arguably the 2 best divisions in their respective conferences

I'm starting to get the feeling this ain't happening this year.

Book it. BOB is going down on his own terms and it shouldn't surprise us. I had hoped he would reflect on "look in the mirror", "just got to coach better", and "it starts with me" and see that change is needed but I'm sure as hard-headed as this Ivy League graduate is he's still thinks he's the smartest guy in the room so he thinks it's "hey if I'm going to get run out of town I'll do it my way" :bigboss:

Even with improvements to our team, with the schedule we have to face next season playoffs might not happen. Besides playing the AFCS you have the Pats and Ravens plus the AFCW and NFCS which are arguably the 2 best divisions in their respective conferences

Haven't looked at that yet....dang...we in trouble for sure then....

Texans long time scout Ed Lambert said a lot of people in the draft room wanted to take David Johnson in the 3rd that year, O'Briend pounded the table for Jaelen Strong and got his wish.

Obviously with the benefit of hindsight it makes that look really bad, I do understand O'Brien's reasoning at the time. Foster was coming off of a productive year probably figured he'd get another year or 2 out of him. We just cut Dre to make way for Nuk to be #1, and had no one opposite of him. strong was considered a 1st round talent by many. I get it, and I won't kick him into the sun for it but O'Brien had a lot more involvement with who we drafted and signed then a lot of you O'Brien apologists and Rick Smith haters like to admit

This whole debate reminds me of the "Schaub audible" commentary that ran his entire tenure here. Every damn monday morning after a loss you'd have some dumb ass fan calling in to the show asking that dude if he could audible or not...after he & kubiak had already given their convulted answers so many times before.

So to answer your question, No one has ever said that BoB didn’t have input....at least not me. But the BoB haters like K-dog sure are in here definitely saying "BoB traded 3 picks for Strong..." like BoB was running the draft & making the moves all by himself & Smith the guy responsible for the drafting, scouting and trading was playing second fiddle.......which obviously isn't likely how all that went down. Smith asked his opinion i'm sure, but the draft was Smith's wheelhouse...so let’s not act like final say didn’t rest with him on how things went down. The power dynamic was clearly in Smith's favor when it came to such things.

ultimately Smith had 5+ years before BoB even got here to prove to everyone that he was a better GM than most here now think he was and most of his draft picks and FA Acquistions over 2 different regimes were ass cheeks. if you wanna be real, His drafting actually improved when BoB arrived....but its not hard to improve from where Smith's drafting record was prior to 2014.

& if so many wanted David Johnson, How or why did they get overruled? If the draft room felt that strongly, me thinks Smith would've had the nuts to overrule BoB. But obviously that didn't happen. Sounds to me like a little embellishment on Lambert's part.

Last edited:
This whole debate reminds me of the "Schaub audible" commentary that ran his entire tenure here. Every damn monday morning after a loss you'd have some dumb ass fan calling in to the show asking that dude if he could audible or not...after he & kubiak had already given their convulted answers so many times before.

So to answer your question, No one has ever said that BoB didn’t have input....at least not me. But the BoB haters like K-dog sure are in here definitely saying "BoB traded 3 picks for Strong..." like BoB was running the draft & making the moves all by himself & Smith the guy responsible for the drafting, scouting and trading was playing second fiddle.......which obviously isn't likely how all that went down. Smith asked his opinion i'm sure, but the draft was Smith's wheelhouse...so let’s not act like final say didn’t rest with him on how things went down. The power dynamic was clearly in Smith's favor when it came to such things.

ultimately Smith had 5+ years before BoB even got here to prove to everyone that he was a better GM than most here now think he was and most of his draft picks and FA Acquistions over 2 different regimes were ass cheeks & if you wanna be real, His drafting actually improved when BoB arrived....but its not hard to improve from where Smith's drafting record was prior to 2014.

& if so many wanted David Johnson, How or why did they get overruled? If the draft room felt that strongly, me thinks Smith would've had the nuts to overrule BoB. But obviously that didn't happen. Sounds to me like a little embellishment on Lambert's part.

I'm sorry Mrs. O'Brien but your husband sucks as an NFL HC. Please go to Boston in the springtime. Stay with some friends, they've got lots of room. Maybe he can sell some paintings on the sidewalk by a cafe where his talents can be better used.

I'm sorry Mrs. O'Brien but your husband sucks as an NFL HC. Please go to Boston in the springtime. Stay with some friends, they've got lots of room. Maybe he can sell some paintings on the sidewalk by a cafe where his talents can be better used.

Wow, that really got me....:rolleyes:

Tell u what Porkster, i’ll “Divorce” Mr. O’brien when u step up your weak ass posting game or post anything worth a lick.

ultimately Smith had 5+ years before BoB even got here to prove to everyone that he was a better GM than most here now think he was and most of his draft picks and FA Acquistions over 2 different regimes were ass cheeks. if you wanna be real, His drafting actually improved when BoB arrived....but its not hard to improve from where Smith's drafting record was prior to 2014.

Dude they had a few articles saying Obrien wanted them to take Strong. It's been posted on here as well. And why wouldn't that man have any inputs on the drafts. He's the HC/OC it's his freaking system so he's going to give the GM a list of players he wants. He does his homework on these players as well. Again it's his freaking system.

Dude they had a few articles saying Obrien wanted them to take Strong. It's been posted on here as well. And why wouldn't that man have any inputs on the drafts. He's the HC/OC it's his freaking system so he's going to give the GM a list of players he wants. He does his homework on these players as well. Again it's his freaking system.

Reading is fundamental. Again I’ve never said he didn’t have INPUT. But having input and ultimately pulling the trigger on a pick and/or making the decision to give away 3 picks to get a guy...those are 2 different things and neither the pick or the moves happen without Smith.

BoB can give his input on why he wants Clowney back, but does that mean Gaine should give Clowney the Aaron Donald-esque contract he wants to keep him at all costs for BoB? Of course not.

Reading is fundamental. Again I’ve never said he didn’t have INPUT. But having input and ultimately pulling the trigger on a pick and/or making the decision to give away 3 picks to get a guy...those are 2 different things and neither the pick or the moves happen without Smith.

BoB can give his input on why he wants Clowney back, but does that mean Gaine should give Clowney the Aaron Donald-esque contract he wants to keep him at all costs for BoB? Of course not.

Exactly reading is fundamental so practice it sometimes. And we are talking draft picks.

Girls, girls you're both pretty. Seriously though we don't actually know how much BoB or Smith was calling the shots. I don't see BoB as the "give me who I want or I walk" type of coach but likewise I never saw Smith as the Draft Day "you coach the team I give you" type of GM.

I think BoB made his wish list, maybe naming some guys by name and maybe just saying I need a good RB or I need more speed on defense. And Smith filled it best he could. Don't forget McNair was also in those draft rooms so how much say did he get as well?

Unless somebody around here has been in that draft room for the last 5 years, please speak up if you have and provide pics to back it up, then it's all guessing and one guess is as good as the next.

That changes yearly

Tex said BOB had input but Ricky made the final call.

Girls, girls you're both pretty. Seriously though we don't actually know how much BoB or Smith was calling the shots. I don't see BoB as the "give me who I want or I walk" type of coach but likewise I never saw Smith as the Draft Day "you coach the team I give you" type of GM.

I think BoB made his wish list, maybe naming some guys by name and maybe just saying I need a good RB or I need more speed on defense. And Smith filled it best he could. Don't forget McNair was also in those draft rooms so how much say did he get as well?

Unless somebody around here has been in that draft room for the last 5 years, please speak up if you have and provide pics to back it up, then it's all guessing and one guess is as good as the next.

Well one is still here and one isn't

That should tell you who made the final calls.

And you're petty for the name calling.

In theory Bob got who he wanted is my point. He wanted Strong and not Johnson. So Rick went with Strong for that selection. How hard is that to understand.

Name calling?

I know this could be true, but a confident GM would've said we're picking David Johnson.

That didn't happen enough and poof Ricky is finally gone.

Name calling?

I know this could be true, but a confident GM would've said we're picking David Johnson.

That didn't happen enough and poof Ricky is finally gone.

That wasn't meant for anybody. Old buddy said both yall are pretty, but at first glance O thought he said petty. I deleted my initial response to that comment. But for some reason it pops on my response to you. I hate that it does that on here

Well one is still here and one isn't

That should tell you who made the final calls.

Or you know the guy really did just want to be there for his wife. Seriously why is the narrative for you that the McNair's fired Smith? If my wife was, God forbid, diagnosed with cancer and I had made enough money that I could step away from working for awhile you damn well better believe I would do it. If for no other reason than just to get the max time possible with her should the worse happen, If Smith had right away gone to another team I would agree it was a smoke screen but he didn't and in fact hasn't seemed to even give football a passing glance.

In fact this is an update interview with him from August.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/31/rick-smith-houston-texans-gm-sabbatical

Let me give you one highlight though.

“Some of that stuff is cruel,” Smith says. “Like, that she’s not even sick, which is just unbelievable. I’ll tell you exactly what that is. A lot of it has to do with my relationship with Bill, coupled with the fact that, as I stepped aside, they summarily replaced most of our football operations. They fired a ton of people, so it looks like Bill got rid of me. And that’s not true.”

Smith does admit that he and O’Brien didn’t always agree on fundamental issues, starting with their organizational philosophies. He also says he approached McNair in recent years to lay out his vision for how the team should operate, and that some of his suggestions—he declines to discuss specifics—did not align with O’Brien’s vision. But Smith also describes any feud as “overblown” and characterizes his relationship with the Texans’ coach as “fine.”

So I know you'll point the part of laid his vision and say the McNair's didn't agree and that's why he's gone and BoBs still here. Completely ignoring that, again, his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he made, in my mind, the right choice of her over work. Smith may not be back with the Texan's but you're crazy if you think that some other team wouldn't sign him in a heartbeat. Despite what the narrative is his draft picking was average at worse, he did have trouble with FA but not anymore than Elway's I've set my price and I won't move from it philosophy.

Or you know the guy really did just want to be there for his wife. Seriously why is the narrative for you that the McNair's fired Smith? If my wife was, God forbid, diagnosed with cancer and I had made enough money that I could step away from working for awhile you damn well better believe I would do it. If for no other reason than just to get the max time possible with her should the worse happen, If Smith had right away gone to another team I would agree it was a smoke screen but he didn't and in fact hasn't seemed to even give football a passing glance.

“Some of that stuff is cruel,” Smith says. “Like, that she’s not even sick, which is just unbelievable. I’ll tell you exactly what that is. A lot of it has to do with my relationship with Bill, coupled with the fact that, as I stepped aside, they summarily replaced most of our football operations. They fired a ton of people, so it looks like Bill got rid of me. And that’s not true.”

Smith does admit that he and O’Brien didn’t always agree on fundamental issues, starting with their organizational philosophies. He also says he approached McNair in recent years to lay out his vision for how the team should operate, and that some of his suggestions—he declines to discuss specifics—did not align with O’Brien’s vision. But Smith also describes any feud as “overblown” and characterizes his relationship with the Texans’ coach as “fine.”

So I know you'll point the part of laid his vision and say the McNair's didn't agree and that's why he's gone and BoBs still here. Completely ignoring that, again, his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he made, in my mind, the right choice of her over work. Smith may not be back with the Texan's but you're crazy if you think that some other team wouldn't sign him in a heartbeat. Despite what the narrative is his draft picking was average at worse, he did have trouble with FA but not anymore than Elway's I've set my price and I won't move from it philosophy.

Nice long post.

With his record he will never be a GM anywhere again.

So I hope his wife is OK because they are going to be spending alot of time together.

Nice long post.

So I hope his wife is OK because they are going to be spending alot of time together.

I've no doubt his wife's health is a major factor. I also understand spin. He wasn't bested or a cause for drama in the organization...

I'd expect him to say no less if he has his sights set on another GM position.

And "average in the draft" was swayed heavily by our first round picks. Rounds 2-4 were downright vomitable (did I just create a new word?)

Regardless of football, best of luck to them.

Nice long post.

You of course are basing this on your long conversations with all the owners or at least hiring groups of the other 31 teams. Or Hell even your long conversations with the McNair family. You are basing this solely on your theory that the McNair's picked BoB over Smith and that his whole thing about being with his wife is a mere smokescreen. Man as much as you talk about the BoB haters not being objective and changing things to fit their idea, which in some cases I do agree with you on, you are just as bad when it comes to Smith.

You of course are basing this on your long conversations with all the owners or at least hiring groups of the other 31 teams. Or Hell even your long conversations with the McNair family. You are basing this solely on your theory that the McNair's picked BoB over Smith and that his whole thing about being with his wife is a mere smokescreen. Man as much as you talk about the BoB haters not being objective and changing things to fit their idea, which in some cases I do agree with you on, you are just as bad when it comes to Smith.

Did you feel this way after last seasons 4-12 debacle?

I'm not telling you OB is free of blame...I just find rick more culpable. Rick Smith was the marvin Lewis of GM's and I'm glad he's out.

In a 4 team division we have the second best quarterback and the third best coach. Considering it was basically Watson's rookie season, he did a great job, especially when considering Luck is a 6 year veteran. Unfortunately, it's just the opposite for our head coach. As a five year veteran of the league, he was just out coached by two rookies! And to think Vrabel was already here before we extended a 4-12 coach's contract. I wonder what he could have done with the Texan's talent considering what he did in Tennessee... as a rookie.

Next year we'll be facing #1 teams in the AFC west and NFC south. Things are gonna get a helluva lot tougher then they were this year - and I don't expect fortune to favor us like it did in 3-4 games this season.

More importantly, in 2 out of 3 games this year Luck went NEARLY untouched. The indy line is fantastic. If we can't get to him we're phucked for the long haul here in the AFC south.

I expect next year to be Ob's do or die season.

Last edited:
Did you feel this way after last seasons 4-12 debacle?

I'm not telling you OB is free of blame...I just find rick more culpable. Rick Smith was the marvin Lewis of GM's and I'm glad he's out.

Yeah I did, I've been pretty consistent in saying that I think Smith and Bob are equally to blame for the problems the team has had.

Yeah I did, I've been pretty consistent in saying that I think Smith and Bob are equally to blame for the problems the team has had.

I guess were mostly eye to eye then. I did want OB out last year. However, I still blame rick for the depth on this team (like I did casserly) for a couple of years after their exit.

Fix the GD offensive line. It's not rocket science.

Want to make a bet? PM me, I will give you 2 more yrs. That will make 3 yrs total since he's been gone. Fair enough?

Ever heard of a soft landing for a CEO of a major company? Happens all of the time.

But you're right, Smith is the kind of person I dont care for. He's a faker IMHO.

#proofpeterprincipleisaliveandwellintheformofricky

Last edited:
Want to make a bet? PM me, I will give you 2 more yrs. That will make 3 yrs total since he's been gone. Fair enough?

Ever heard of a soft landing for a CEO of a major company? Happens all of the time.

But you're right, Smith is the kind of person I dont care for. He's a faker IMHO.

#proofpeterprincipleisaliveandwellintheformofricky

First yes I have heard of a soft landing so I guess it was great timing his wife getting cancer huh.

Second that's a sucker's bet because it assumes he even wants a job as a GM.

Last time I had what you would consider a soft landing from my old profession I decided that it was the perfect time to do what I actually like doing and went into IT.

Sometimes people don't get jobs in the same field simply because they don't want to be in that field.

Last, I never understood people saying they don't like someone they've never met. I mean ok if you want to go extreme pretty sure I didn't need to meet Hitler to know I wouldn't like him but again that's extreme example.

You say he's a faker based on what? Because you have decided to believe that Smith was the main setback of a sports team? Have you ever met him, talked to him, even been in the same room as him? You didn't like the job he did as GM, that's fair, but for you it has always seemed personal. Like his even being the GM was a personal insult to you.

Didn't understand it when I first starting talking to you about this two years ago don't understand it now.

1st game 4 sacks, 2nd 2. In fact, the Texans had 6 of 18 sacks on Luck in the regular season

4 sacks
2 sacks
0 sacks

In 2 out of 3 games we ONLY sacked Luck TWICE. In his last 73 pass attempts we got him twice. I think my premise stands about getting to Luck.

Cant deal in absolutes here though even when im clearly right. Captain spell check will try to be a hero.

The word NEARLY was added to my previous post.

Last edited:
Nice long post.

He could have a job in the league's FO yesterday. Still highly respected around the league especially in the league office. They called him in to help formulate the new rules changes last year even though he wasn't apart of the competition committee anymore

4 sacks
2 sacks
0 sacks

In 2 out of 3 games we ONLY sacked Luck TWICE. In his last 73 pass attempts we got him twice. I think my premise stands about getting to Luck.

Cant deal in absolutes here though even when im clearly right. Captain spell check will try to be a hero.

The word NEARLY was added to my previous post.

What find interesting is that as our sack totals went down so did our overall performance against the Colts.

First yes I have heard of a soft landing so I guess it was great timing his wife getting cancer huh.

Second that's a sucker's bet because it assumes he even wants a job as a GM.

Last time I had what you would consider a soft landing from my old profession I decided that it was the perfect time to do what I actually like doing and went into IT.

Sometimes people don't get jobs in the same field simply because they don't want to be in that field.

Last, I never understood people saying they don't like someone they've never met. I mean ok if you want to go extreme pretty sure I didn't need to meet Hitler to know I wouldn't like him but again that's extreme example.

You say he's a faker based on what? Because you have decided to believe that Smith was the main setback of a sports team? Have you ever met him, talked to him, even been in the same room as him? You didn't like the job he did as GM, that's fair, but for you it has always seemed personal. Like his even being the GM was a personal insult to you.

Didn't understand it when I first starting talking to you about this two years ago don't understand it now.

Fair enough

I dont like people who tell you how great they are at their jobs and they really aren't good at all.

I dont like how he basically threw Kubiak under the bus to save his own hide.

He could have a job in the league's FO yesterday. Still highly respected around the league especially in the league office. They called him in to help formulate the new rules changes last year even though he wasn't apart of the competition committee anymore

A league job yes, that's where failed NFL politicians go when they've failed. Good to know Ricky has contributed his best to make Sundays seem like flag day instead of NFL football.

A NFL GM, not a chance, I guess I should've been more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back