Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the most disappointing is that the defense couldn't get a stop when their life depended on it

A problem we suffered since the Browns. Yeah, I know we won that one... but it was the Browns.

I wanted to say since the Eagles... but the truth is the Browns. Philly. Colts... & yesterday. Something is wrong.

1st round
Clowney, Mercilus, JJ, Jjo, Kjax, Matthieu

2nd round
Cunningham, McKinney

8 out of 11 positions

We can't keep saying it's a talent issue.

A problem we suffered since the Browns. Yeah, I know we won that one... but it was the Browns.

I wanted to say since the Eagles... but the truth is the Browns. Philly. Colts... & yesterday. Something is wrong.

1st round

2nd round
Cunningham, McKinney

8 out of 11 positions

Lets not forget the other 1st Kevin Johnson who even though sidelined all season by injury in 4 years never developed....in fact he regressed every year.

1st round

2nd round
Cunningham, McKinney

8 out of 11 positions

It's because the cornerbacks are rubbish.

K Jack had gone off the cliff at that position but looked much better as a safety. Ended up playing CB due to injury.

JJo is regressing due to age, getting by on vet savvy at the most athletically demanding position isn't ideal.

Mathieu ends up as your slot CB because Colvin was a bust FA signing.

The fact that your 2 star safeties end up at CB, leaves a banged up Reed and Andre Hal to play every down at CB, again not ideal.

Then you sprinkle in some Shareece Wright to mix it up a bit. It's good that they are decent at every other position, but if you can't cover anybody on the outside it's always going to set you back.

Number 1 priority in the off season should be trading for a premier CB and drafting at least 1 great prospect.

That's before the OL imo.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh pulled an O'Brien today by not benching Lamar Jackson, probably the worst NFL QB I have ever seen. I haven't seen such stupidity since the time O'Brien failed to yank Brian Hoyer, who practically threw more interceptions than completions in that playoff game three years ago!

Ravens coach John Harbaugh pulled an O'Brien today by not benching Lamar Jackson, probably the worst NFL QB I have ever seen. I haven't seen such stupidity since the time O'Brien failed to yank Brian Hoyer, who practically threw more interceptions than completions in that playoff game three years ago!
It's not like the guy on the bench was a stiff, Flacco has proven he can win playoff games. Maybe they didn't want to bruise the fragile ego of a young QB going forward.

It's not like the guy on the bench was a stiff, Flacco has proven he can win playoff games. Maybe they didn't want to bruise the fragile ego of a young QB going forward.

Jackson pulled a couple of miracle plays of his arse, but there was a definitely an agenda in keeping Jackson and not turning to Flacco

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...on-is-qb-of-future-flacco-will-have-a-market/

Reactions: JB
At half time my daughter said she was raised better then to sit there and watch a rape. So I am done with BOB but accept he will be here for a couple more years of 9-7 ball and get beat by the real coaches. Finding your HC is like your QB, gotta keep trying

I totally agree, but given we've signed BOB to what his likely $5M/year guaranteed thru 2022...doubt we make a change anytime soon.
I don't see Cal eating $20M a year after giving BOB is extension....and on top of an 11-5 season.

Jackson pulled a couple of miracle plays of his arse, but there was a definitely an agenda in keeping Jackson and not turning to Flacco

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...on-is-qb-of-future-flacco-will-have-a-market/

Yea no surprise... but hindsight being 20/20 and all, they screwed up! We know what happened with Jackson we don't know what would have happened with Flacco. I'll never forget many years ago Steve Young threw 2 or 3 ints against Dallas in the playoffs with Joe Montana sitting on the bench. I couldn't wait for Montana to come in and bring the team back and beat the Cowboys and go on to win another SB. Never happened though and Montana went on to win playoff games with the Chiefs. Of course Young went on to be a great QB, but the 49rs could have 6 rings now. They stuck with the new guy instead of bringing in the veteran who had already proven he could do it... just like the Ravens today.

I'll never forget many years ago Steve Young threw 2 or 3 ints against Dallas in the playoffs with Joe Montana sitting on the bench. I couldn't wait for Montana to come in and bring the team back and beat the Cowboys and go on to win another SB. Never happened though and Montana went on to win playoff games with the Chiefs. Of course Young went on to be a great QB, but the 49rs could have 6 rings now. They stuck with the new guy instead of bringing in the veteran who had already proven he could do it... just like the Ravens today.

You'll never forget something which never happened. New guy Steve Young didn't play the Cowboys in the playoffs until 1993 (2 INTs), his 9th year in the league. Joe Montana was in his 1st year in KC.

You'll never forget something which never happened. New guy Steve Young didn't play the Cowboys in the playoffs until 1993 (2 INTs), his 9th year in the league. Joe Montana was in his 1st year
You'll never forget something which never happened. New guy Steve Young didn't play the Cowboys in the playoffs until 1993 (2 INTs), his 9th year in the league. Joe Montana was in his 1st year in KC.
And it was such a good game...

I guess at the time I was thinking they never should have traded Montana and through the years... well you what they say about the first thing to go.

LOL I forgot what I'll never forget.

Now if I can just forget that game Sat.
If you wanna forget, may I suggest you talk to Thorn? He may be able to help you.

So just curious but why among all this yelling for O'Brien's head is no one, other than JB, mentioning the fact that our vaulted D has been made to look like a high school team in the last two games that actually mattered? I'm not defending BoB, no playoff team should ever get shut down for 3 quarters and then only score because the other team is winded, but good God if we're going to start up a lynch mob lets make sure we get everyone rounded up.

The word you were looking for there is "Vaunted" ….

As for why I'm not crying about the defense …. they are beat up in the secondary. RC had to play who suited up …. and Colvin was so damn bad they didn't even suit him up healthy.
We went into the season knowing the corner position on this team was a weak spot … That front 7 is good but they weren't good enough to make up for the poor play on the back end.

OL and CB were the weak spots going into the season and they were what allowed the Dolts to end our season.

Add to that OB being a very poor play caller with an unimaginative offense that doesn't get anyone open AND all the little game management mistakes he's made …. and continues to make ….

Reactions: JB
Get Kubiak as OC, lets see what happens :)

Wishful thinking ….

Gary's quite content as a consultant for the Bronco's organization … Don't see him coming back to the league full time.

Well then we'll just have to wait and see - the season only ended yesterday.
Gaine did well with what he had last off season so with a 1st and 2 2nd's more than he had last draft it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Cant complain about what he did with limited draft ammunition …. wish they could have added another corner or OT but the market was bare outside a couple guys at either position.

Looking forward to free agency and this years draft …. lots of cap space and a full compliment of draft picks to work with , should be interesting.
Am kinda concerned about their own FA's - particularly Mathieu , Clowney and KJax.

Last edited:
The word you were looking for there is "Vaunted" ….

As for why I'm not crying about the defense …. they are beat up in the secondary. RC had to play who suited up …. and Colvin was so damn bad they didn't even suit him up healthy.
We went into the season knowing the corner position on this team was a weak spot … That front 7 is good but they weren't good enough to make up for the poor play on the back end.

OL and CB were the weak spots going into the season and they were what allowed the Dolts to end our season.

Add to that OB being a very poor play caller with an unimaginative offense that doesn't get anyone open AND all the little game management mistakes he's made …. and continues to make ….

Well first thank you for the correction. Now as to the actual point, so let me be sure I understand.

The defense has a few bad positions but all the big name, big money players were there.

The offense basically consisted of Nuk and Watson with pretty much all other key players either out or one good hit away from being out.

In your world these two things equal RAC has to just struggle with whatever he can but BoB just sucks as a play caller and should have got a bunch of backup players open? Am I understanding you correctly? If so you get points for imagination if nothing else.

In your world these two things equal RAC has to just struggle with whatever he can but BoB just sucks as a play caller and should have got a bunch of backup players open? Am I understanding you correctly? If so you get points for imagination if nothing else.

OB was essentially missing WR #2. Not really much excuse there Fuller & Coutee put up 113, 101 in 2 regular season losses and 110 in the playoffs.

OB refused to scheme in the obviously more talented rookie TEs. Total self-inflicted wound. When Mancz played he did as well as the starters. The offense didn't suffer near as much as the D due to injury.

OB was essentially missing WR #2. Not really much excuse there Fuller & Coutee put up 113, 101 in 2 regular season losses and 110 in the playoffs.

OB refused to scheme in the obviously more talented rookie TEs. Total self-inflicted wound. When Mancz played he did as well as the starters. The offense didn't suffer near as much as the D due to injury.

Maybe because the rookie TEs can't block, but he knew that (or should have kown that) when he drafted them.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2018_injuries.htm

The injuries break down, I'm still seeing more key players on offense than defense that were down but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Agree that BoB doesn't use TEs very well, I'd kill for us to counter those blitz like Brady does with quick, short passes but then we don't have Gronk either so there's that.

I'm not saying BoB didn't **** the bed on that game, he did, but RAC doesn't deserve a pass either. We wouldn't have even played that game if they could have kept Philly from scoring just one time.

My entire point is that there is plenty of blame to go around in all areas. The hardcore BoB lovers don't have a good arguement but then neither do the hardcore BoB haters.

About the only ones that did their job on the field Sat were the cheerleaders because even in the middle of that Charlie Foxtrot they gave me something to smile about.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2018_injuries.htm

The injuries break down, I'm still seeing more key players on offense than defense that were down but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Agree that BoB doesn't use TEs very well, I'd kill for us to counter those blitz like Brady does with quick, short passes but then we don't have Gronk either so there's that.

I'm not saying BoB didn't **** the bed on that game, he did, but RAC doesn't deserve a pass either. We wouldn't have even played that game if they could have kept Philly from scoring just one time.

My entire point is that there is plenty of blame to go around in all areas. The hardcore BoB lovers don't have a good arguement but then neither do the hardcore BoB haters.

About the only ones that did their job on the field Sat were the cheerleaders because even in the middle of that Charlie Foxtrot they gave me something to smile about.

Sorry, not seeing the argument the offense was close to impacted as the D. Other than WR#2 what was the significant loss?

Not trying to absolve anyone. There is plenty of blame to share.

Has nothing to do with Kubiak but safe bet. He's 5 in and about to start a 4 year extension. Absent humiliating failure he's here at least 2 of those 4.
Yes, I agree and I actually think better choices than him are limited right now. Unless you go to the college ranks but that is chanccy too.

With NO offense against the Colts in a playoff game maybe we should get an OC and not worry bout Billy O.

Wonder if backing up a Brinks truck in Romo's drive would entice him into OC role.

The guy sounds like he has a complete grasp on offenses.

Probably too comfortable where he is.

Just don't want in-house promotion of someone indoctrinated into Obrien's "offense".

Maybe Todd Monken if he doesn't get a HC gig.

:coffee:

Drew Dougherty

✔@DoughertyDrew

Bill O'Brien at the podium. "We'll take a look at everything," when asked if he would plan on giving play-calling duties to another coach.

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1081959181337481217

11:02 AM - Jan 6, 2019

OVERREACTIONS FOR WILD-CARD LOSERS

Texans coach Bill O’Brien is on the hot seat
Deshaun Watson picked a lousy day to play his worst game of the season. DeAndre Hopkins hurt his shoulder. The Texans couldn’t block anybody, so they couldn’t run the ball. They didn’t score until the fourth quarter, and it took a 17-play, dink-and-dunk drive to do it. It looked as if Colts coach Frank Reich was playing chess when his team had the ball and O’Brien was playing some sort of scaled-down checkers when Houston did. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong for the Texans on Saturday, and we haven’t even mentioned the defense yet.

Graziano’s verdict: OVERREACTION. O’Brien just signed an extension a year ago and won a power struggle that saw the ouster of GM Rick Smith. He steered this season’s Texans out of an 0-3 ditch to a division title. He and GM Brian Gaine have work to do to build a more complete offense around Watson, but O’Brien should get the chance to do it. A good place to start? How about committing some draft capital to the offensive line? Watson was sacked 62 times in the regular season. The team that beat the Texans Saturday has first-round picks at left tackle, left guard and center, and a rookie second-rounder at right tackle. If that doesn’t bring it home for you, what does?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25698720/nfl-wild-card-overreactions-looming-questions-next-round

All this depends on your perspective honestly. What infuriates you more:

an offense that sputtered pretty much all season, struggles to do anything in the playoffs? Shocker :rolleyes:.......or
a supposedly good defense that doesn't play even close to its talent level, ranking or even seasonal performance? For me its the latter.

The drive charts tell the story. 3 of Indy's 1st 4 drives covered no less than 65 yds...on average about 8 plays.......
3 of our 1st 4 covered like 30 yards...despite 2 double digit drives in there.

The long and short of it is their defense made us work hard for everything...a true bend but don't break defense & I've never seen DW4 check down so much in his young career.

on the flip side, our defense went spread eagle & couldn't stop ****. Indy moved the ball pretty much at will.

I don't want to hear **** about the defense stopping them in the 2nd half either. Yes part of it was they played a little better than that trainwreck of a 1st half, but more of it was Indy took their foot of the gas.

The offense was a certified trainwreck as well & BOB should be held accountable for that, but everyone here & elsewhere knew that the offense was basically DW4 and NUK. Miller is too damn inconsistent & shook, Smith was playing in his 4th game ever, Coutee was only playing in his 6th ever...The young TE's the same And all but 2 of those were playing in their 1st playoff game. Way more experience on the other side of the ball which is why it was so disappointing how the defense played as opposed to the offense.

Neither can Griffin. Next excuse?

20 rec. 215 yds 4 TDs.

Those are Jordan Thomas' numbers this year. Despite him spliting reps with 2 other guys in Akins (17 rec 225) & Griffin (24 rec 305), his numbers compare
favorably with the numbers of other TE's.....HOF or otherwise during thier 1st years.

Please stop with the belly aching about TE usage.

Wonder if backing up a Brinks truck in Romo's drive would entice him into OC role.

The guy sounds like he has a complete grasp on offenses.

Probably too comfortable where he is.

Just don't want in-house promotion of someone indoctrinated into Obrien's "offense".

Maybe Todd Monken if he doesn't get a HC gig.

:coffee:

Well, that's certainly a 'pie in the sky' idea out of the blue

20 rec. 215 yds 4 TDs.

Those are Jordan Thomas' numbers this year. Despite him spliting reps with 2 other guys in Akins (17 rec 225) & Griffin (24 rec 305), his numbers compare
favorably with the numbers of other TE's.....HOF or otherwise during thier 1st years.

Please stop with the belly aching about TE usage.

What a fu@kin joke. The point was Griffin wasn't being played for any non-existent blocking skill.

2 TEs next in front and 2 next behind Akins were 333-552 yds. But thanks for eyeballing normal. Kinda matters what other TEs are on the team too. We had jack.

The rooks caught better too:

Griffin 55.8%
Thomas 74.1%
Akins 68%

What a fu@kin joke. The point was Griffin wasn't being played for any non-existent blocking skill.

2 TEs next in front and 2 next behind Akins were 333-552 yds. But thanks for eyeballing normal. Kinda matters what other TEs are on the team too. We had jack.

The rooks caught better too:

Griffin 55.8%
Thomas 74.1%
Akins 68%

Lol your point is still invalid mainly b/c it's most likely that's exactly why he was played more. Just b/c he was still **** at it doesn't make your assertion true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back