Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder where DT head is at. He has rings and money, so it could be playing where there is a chance and for a good locker room and situation with fair money is appealing. At the right price he is a proven piece we can use especially red zone

OB almost cost us the game on that TO after the defense stopped them on 4th and 1.
He’s also responsible for the offense declining every year.

needing a 4th quarter comeback to beat the Jets isn't exactly impressive. Offense looked bad for big chunks

I’ve tried to be objective but the Jets game....how does it take so long for him to adjust and call plays with the correct routes to beat the blitz the Jets were sending? It makes no sense, I just can’t fathom the reasoning there

Week 1-3 "We need to improve in the red area and with play calling.

Week 15 "We still need to improve in the red area, etc....."

Takes that long to fix an an issue?

A couple of years ago, it took an entire season for O'Brien to recognize the TEs needed to be more involved in the game plans. It might take just as long for him to realize he can help Watson and the OL by using DT on slants and in the red zone.

Lol...it wasn’t that bad. Well, maybe it was depending on your mindset. Mine is they’ve already exceeded my expectations after starting 0-3. I guess that’s where I’m coming from.
I think this game verified what many already knew—we are missing a few critical pieces. We need a CB and help on the o-line.

It appears the NFL's answer to Watson is to bring the blitz. He has not demonstrated he can consistently beat it and until he does, he is going to see a lot of it.

I think this game verified what many already knew—we are missing a few critical pieces. We need a CB and help on the o-line.

It appears the NFL's answer to Watson is to bring the blitz. He has not demonstrated he can consistently beat it and until he does, he is going to see a lot of it.

He was 22/28 of 294 yards and 2 TDs.

His fault was taking a sack when no one was open. But that also made me question the playcalling

I'm really missing Bob McNair.

After this debacle I'd have hope that he would strong arm the HC he just signed to an extension into bringing an OC to his staff.

At least some one who can manage more than three plays a game.

Week 1-3 "We need to improve in the red area and with play calling.

Week 15 "We still need to improve in the red area, etc....."

Takes that long to fix an an issue?

And will continue to be until the OL gets fixed and Watson's internal clock improves.

Good thing is Watson is coming up big in the fourth quarter. He's still learning about reading defenses though.

Yes, but for mos t the second half he was struggling against the blitz and had three and outs.
Hard to blame him when he hands the ball off on 1st & 2nd down.

& our longest run of the night was one & a half yards.

I know we had a one point lead & that's the prudent way to manage a 2nd half... just saying we can't blame Watson for the 3 & outs

Yes, but for mos t the second half he was struggling against the blitz and had three and outs.

Might that be because his options were limited?

OB lives in his head. He pictures perfect players executing perfect plays. Ain't the way good coaches operate.

But that's why so few slants and drags. 'We don't need those if we execute our base correctly.'

Do we have a 100 yds rushing minus Watson the last 2 games combined?

We are not a rushing team. We have neither the RB nor the OL to be a rushing team. Miller perfectly healthy won't pull a busted shoulder Emmitt v Giants one man show. Hell he won't pull a mundane RB afternoon. And yet this is what OB game plans for.

The 2 greatest talents on our offense are passing. OB wants to run. Pretty much sums it up.

And will continue to be until the OL gets fixed and Watson's internal clock improves.

Good thing is Watson is coming up big in the fourth quarter. He's still learning about reading defenses though.

Before Kubiak we had this same discussion. We'd have 3 of 5 brand new OLmen every year, but still couldn't protect our QB.

Same QB in 2006. Same 3 new OL. New HC/OC & we're among the least sacked teams.

I hope you're right. But this guy had been given three 2nd rounders & a viable starting center (Mancz) & the problem is as bad as I've ever seen it.

In the past the problem was compounded by lanky uncoordinated baby giraffes or geriatric one more for the Gipper types .

This year he has a dynamic, young, accurate gamer... & it's worse.

Sorry, but we could draft the two best OL in the upcoming draft, sign two of the best FA OLmen this offseason & I think we'll still have the same problem.

Woosaaaaa

OB lives in his head. He pictures perfect players executing perfect plays. Ain't the way good coaches operate.

I think that is what some here would have you believe. I think he has no clue. Doesn't know what his offense is supposed to be. Doesn't know how to staff it. Doesn't know how to install it.

He coached at Brown. Was brought into an established system at GT. Walked into an established system at NE.

This is the first time (the last 5 years) he's been part of installing a system in the NFL. The first time he's had to build or rebuild an offense in the NFL.

I hope Cal & Norv Turner are hunting buddies or yacht club mates or something.

But that's why so few slants and drags. 'We don't need those if we execute our base correctly.'

Do we have a 100 yds rushing minus Watson the last 2 games combined?

We are not a rushing team. We have neither the RB nor the OL to be a rushing team. Miller perfectly healthy won't pull an Emmitt v Giants one man show. Hell he won't pull a mundane RB afternoon. And yet this is what OB game plans for.

Takes pressure off of him to really gameplan and come up with creative plays.

He can just ram the ball up the middle get a few yards then hope deshaun and Hopkins can do something to move the sticks.

He doesn’t call plays to make it easy on the team at all.

Hard to blame him when he hands the ball off on 1st & 2nd down.

& our longest run of the night was one & a half yards.

I know we had a one point lead & that's the prudent way to manage a 2nd half... just saying we can't blame Watson for the 3 & outs
In the second half we were throwing more than running.

I'm really missing Bob McNair.

After this debacle I'd have hope that he would strong arm the HC he just signed to an extension into bringing an OC to his staff.

At least some one who can manage more than three plays a game.
Debacle? Watson was 9 of 10 for 90 yards and a TD in the 4th quarter. The defense made the stops when it counted most. Win.

I get the emotional in-game criticism of O’Brien. I don’t understand your post game, time-to-examine responses from you and others.

The Texans (which includes O’Brien) calmly won the game in the 4th. I was impressed by the poise of this team. Where does that come from?

I think the last drive shows Watson can put up points when given a chance. Problem is when the Texans are ahead by any amount OBrien does the turtle.

I think the last drive shows Watson can put up points when given a chance. Problem is when the Texans are ahead by any amount OBrien does the turtle.
Usually I would agree with this take. But turtle was the only speed this game.

Debacle? Watson was 9 of 10 for 90 yards and a TD in the 4th quarter. The defense made the stops when it counted most. Win.

I get the emotional in-game criticism of O’Brien. I don’t understand your post game, time-to-examine responses from you and others.

The Texans (which includes O’Brien) calmly won the game in the 4th. I was impressed by the poise of this team. Where does that come from?

I generally really respect your opinion, but OB is inflexible as all hell. You see change in desperation. He's behind instead of in front.

And he's stifling a great young QB.

One of the possible GOAT HCs IMO, Tom Landry, was scared of a brash, scrambling QB who wanted to have last call on plays. Landry learned. Will OB?

Up until that last drive it was like watching a root canal in 3-D.

Like scraping fingernails on a blackboard for 55 minutes.

Yeah, I'd rather win a botched game that way as opposed to hoping a kicker miss a career long attempt.

But tonight, for the first time this season I believe the only chance we have in the playoffs is if our defense can hold a playoff team to 14 points.

I use to think hold the Chiefs to 28 we got a chance against any team. Now I don't think our defense can hold the Chiefs to 44.

& if we can't figure out how to keep Watson on his feet with this OL we're screwed. Kubiak could do it. With this OL & this QB, Kubiak could do it.

Kubiak ain't here. I get it. But don't tell me the clown we have our there with bifocals & a Denny's menu is as good. He just ain't. I don't care what his record is. I don't care how many playoff games he's been embarrassed in at home.

He's not an offensive coordinator & whether he's calling plays or has his hand up Sean Ryan's ads you can't fix the problem no matter who you draft or how much you spend in FA.

Last edited:

Yes they comely won the game after a terrible decision by Obrien in which put the defense in a bad position. Especially after they got the stop. Wait one minute defense I called a timeout. Run it again, 1st down, then a TD to take the lead.

Look here I extremely happy we won but come on coach. I thought you knew situational football. Why would you call timeout, when they actually got the 1st down. Bad spot by the refs and they should've challenged.

During the 9 game winning streak, defenses were showing their hand during Watson's pre snap reads. His pre snaps reads seems to be predicated off the movements of the MLBs and safeties. In the Colts game, the OLBs were shooting the gaps and DBs were blitzing late. This game, the LBs didn't move as much, but they still sent DBs off the corner.

Teams have caught on to the Texans' pre snap reads. It's now on O'Brien to help Watson counter this approach. He can start by calling plays similar to the game winning TD drive.

Yes they comely won the game after a terrible decision by Obrien in which put the defense in a bad position. Especially after they got the stop. Wait one minute defense I called a timeout. Run it again, 1st down, then a TD to take the lead.

Look here I extremely happy we won but come on coach. I thought you knew situational football. Why would you call timeout, when they actually got the 1st down. Bad spot by the refs and they should've challenged.

Yes, that was a first down, he rolled on the players. = That was a weird to say the least TO call. = All of you realize that BOB is going to be with us for a few years. We better get used to him.

During the 9 game winning streak, defenses were showing their hand during Watson's pre snap reads. His pre snaps reads seems to be predicated off the movements of the MLBs and safeties. In the Colts game, the OLBs were shooting the gaps and DBs were blitzing late. This game, the LBs didn't move as much, but they still sent DBs off the corner.

Teams have caught on to the Texans' pre snap reads. It's now on O'Brien to help Watson counter this approach. He can start by calling plays similar to the game winning TD drive.
The game winning drive had quick slants and they were effective. We need to do more of that. Have we seen a TE seam route all season?

BoB only wants to go empty when he has to. But honestly that’s when Deshaun is his best when passing. He makes quick reads and gets rid of the ball fast.

I really want to believe in OBrien for head coach but he disappoints almost every single game. His win record will protect him at least into next season first quarter. We should have beaten Jets assertively. Even more of a concern is RAC in last couple games if not more with this allegedly great defense looking lost too many times. If we look away from JJ I'm confused at many of the plays called.

I’ve been critical of O’Brien the last two years. He makes terrible decisions during the game, fewer than earlier this year but more than I would like. The offense at times IS like watching a root canal. That said, the players fight for him. Earlier this year a member of this board wrote that he knows a players something or another hear that O’Brien had lost the locker room. Yet they’ve gone on to win 10 of 11.

I wish the Texans offense was more exciting and were blowing teams out by 28. I’d like the defense to create more TO’s. But I like wins more than anything.

Just win, baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back