Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yer right about OB.

Yer Wrong about RAC. His schemes are usually spot on - its the execution of those schemes that are lacking more often than not. That and letting all the talent he's had get away.

I cant recall the last time I saw an RB screen …. its like they tore that page out of the playbook and burned it. It is the "rush beater". You invite the rushers to commit …. and now your back is in space with DB's trying to stop him.

Seems they run a lot of plays where multiple routes terminate outside the numbers on the same side of the field .... That's counter to everything I've ever been taught - You want to spread the defenders out , not bring them into proximity.

Fuller …. go take the top off of the defense - 7,8,9 route (corner , go , post) every time! Instead you have him running 6,4,3 in's outs and hooks … on top of someone else.

No picks ? no Rubs ? …. Just beat your guy!

How about creating a mismatch with a route combination …. new concept ?! ugh.

Where's the relief valve in the flat ?? Oh …. He's blocking cause the rest of the routes take all day, nevermind.

What is a TE ? What have we spent multiple high draft choices on them for if you don't use them for anything other than a poor excuse for a 3rd OT ?

Ob's only tool is a hammer ….
Exactly! Well except the part about RAC. I disagree with that part. This offense is so unimaginative. The frustrating part is OB is capable of designing a good scheme. He did it when Watson was a rookie. He built the offense around Watson even threw in a few plays from Clemson’s playbook and kept it simple with quick hitting plays. Then Watson got hurt and the off-season came and ol Bill decided he wanted to go back to his special offense that he has been trying to develop his whole coaching career.

He should of just stuck to what was working and developed that. I just don’t understand why he doesn’t get that. It seems like his ego is the problem.

RAC runs his defense like an old school DC. Lot of big slow guys up front and the secondary playing to keep the play in front of them. I hate it. I want an aggressive defense that uses stunts and deception and sends at least one surprise player after the QB every play. His style works against crappy QBs but it allows the good ones to get in a rhythm. You never want to allow a good QB to get comfortable and get his rhythm. I would rather give up a few big plays a game and have the opposing QB on edge than allow them to just sit back and pick us apart all day with wide open guys and easy completions. Hell our front seven on defense just get wore down at the end games because of this style.

Heard O'Brian on his radio show today talking about the time out he took at the end of the game. He said it was great time management & that nobody is talking about it. I agree it was a good move.

He completely ignored the no time out called at the end of the first half.

I think the media coverage is getting to him. He sounded really put out about the whole thing.
I’m changing OBs name to EGO! That’s how I will refer to him from now on. I’m starting to wonder if he’s not one particular poster on this board that thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and is always defending EGO.

I’m changing OBs name to EGO! That’s how I will refer to him from now on. I’m starting to wonder if he’s not one particular poster on this board that thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and is always defending EGO.

I've been watching to many Marvel movies because all I pictured was BoB taking Kurt Russels place in Guardians 2 and flying around space spreading his seed. Now I don't think I'll be able to eat all week so thanks for helping my diet.

He just left too much time on the clock for Brees on Monday night.
Not going to hold that against OB, in that situation you don't want to get cute and no score and/or run out of time. The loss falls squarely on the defense and particularly on Colvin who totally screwed up his assignment on the play that put them in position for the game winning field goal. If he would of played it like the other DBs on the filed, that should have been an incomplete pass.
Akins was open multiple times down the seam and Watson only found him once. This is for the why don't they use the TE crowd.

Truth is Watson had a very avg game at best.
Missed a wide open FB on the check down on another play. I think Watson tends to zero in on the WRs and wants the home run strike (sometimee too much and to his detriment). This causes him to oberlook the the short stuff at times. He is still young and learning.

Last year RAC had all his talent and we still got chewed up by any half way decent team. Also if the players can't execute the scheme then come up with a new scheme and stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, isn't that one of the big issues with BoB and the offense. The only reason we were in that Colts game was because the defense couldn't stop Philly from doing pretty much whatever they wanted. Even in the Saints game lets say Colvin had not played his man from 4 yards away and was right on top of him, he still had already been beat 8 out of 9 times in that game and Brees knew exactly who he was going to throw to before the play even started so why run that risk? If we are going to clean house, and I'm thinking now we should, then lets not do a half ass job and clean it all the way.
Romeo had to cover up for holes in the secondary all last year. I think that was a bigger problem than his play calling. There is only so much you can do to cover up lack of talent at CB against good QBs.

Reactions: ROO
I cant recall the last time I saw an RB screen …. its like they tore that page out of the playbook and burned it. It is the "rush beater". You invite the rushers to commit …. and now your back is in space with DB's trying to stop him.

Seems they run a lot of plays where multiple routes terminate outside the numbers on the same side of the field .... That's counter to everything I've ever been taught - You want to spread the defenders out , not bring them into proximity.

Fuller …. go take the top off of the defense - 7,8,9 route (corner , go , post) every time! Instead you have him running 6,4,3 in's outs and hooks … on top of someone else.

Where's the relief valve in the flat ?? Oh …. He's blocking cause the rest of the routes take all day, nevermind.

What is a TE ? What have we spent multiple high draft choices on them for if you don't use them for anything other than a poor excuse for a 3rd OT ?

Ob's only tool is a hammer ….

All this stuff about O'Brien above is exactly right. I want Corrosion to be the Texans' OC. Hell, make him the head coach, cuz I doubt he could work under OB without getting fired.

I am really getting tired of O'Brien's offense... not the players, but the scheme. BOB, it seems, is just a total dumbass. A shame that the fans are missing out on what could be a really exciting offense.

I'm trying to remember, but there was one game, maybe 2 seasons ago or early last season, where the offense was really creative and exciting. It was almost as if O'Brien was letting the offense call their own plays. Does anyone remember that game? I remember thinking "Wow, this is what a modern NFL offense should be! And the very next game, back to the OB bullcrap play calling. He is really taking the fun out of the game for me.

All this stuff about O'Brien above is exactly right. I want Corrosion to be the Texans' OC. Hell, make him the head coach, cuz I doubt he could work under OB without getting fired.

I am really getting tired of O'Brien's offense... not the players, but the scheme. BOB, it seems, is just a total dumbass. A shame that the fans are missing out on what could be a really exciting offense.

I'm trying to remember, but there was one game, maybe 2 seasons ago or early last season, where the offense was really creative and exciting. It was almost as if O'Brien was letting the offense call their own plays. Does anyone remember that game? I remember thinking "Wow, this is what a modern NFL offense should be! And the very next game, back to the OB bullcrap play calling. He is really taking the fun out of the game for me.
It was Watson’s rookie year. He was scared his offense was too much for the rookie so he got creative and even implemented some of Clemson’s playbook to make Watson comfortable. It was beautiful. There was a lot of motion and misdirection and it had defenses off balance. Now why you would discard something that worked so well and continue to keep trying something that just doesn’t is beyond me.

Brian T Smith is being a good sports writer unlike Pancakes and has been calling Billy O on the carpet for his terrible clock management skills. The rest of the media needs to roast this fool. His answers were completely unacceptable and the sports media in Philly, NY, Boston and Chicago wouldn’t let him get away with it like he has here

It was Watson’s rookie year. He was scared his offense was too much for the rookie so he got creative and even implemented some of Clemson’s playbook to make Watson comfortable. It was beautiful. There was a lot of motion and misdirection and it had defenses off balance. Now why you would discard something that worked so well and continue to keep trying something that just doesn’t is beyond me.

I can understand why he went back to the normal playbook because that was a bunch of made up plays and stuff the rest of the team hadn't really learned so yeah I can see why he went back to it the next season. That's why you would go back to it, now why you would stick with it when its not working that I'm not sure of. The only thing I can think of is he believes that it hasn't worked because he hasn't had the players to make it work. That's a dangerous line of thinking because you are never going to have all the pieces and you go to war with the army you have.

I'm worried that BoB sees it all as a jigsaw puzzle, you get all the pieces, put them together and they make a beautiful picture of a championship but if one piece is missing the whole picture is ruined. Its not a jigsaw puzzle its a box of random Legos. You get a vision of what you want to build, pour everything on the floor, adjust your vision based on the pieces you have and start building to get it as good as you possibly can.

I can understand why he went back to the normal playbook because that was a bunch of made up plays and stuff the rest of the team hadn't really learned so yeah I can see why he went back to it the next season. That's why you would go back to it, now why you would stick with it when its not working that I'm not sure of. The only thing I can think of is he believes that it hasn't worked because he hasn't had the players to make it work. That's a dangerous line of thinking because you are never going to have all the pieces and you go to war with the army you have.

I'm worried that BoB sees it all as a jigsaw puzzle, you get all the pieces, put them together and they make a beautiful picture of a championship but if one piece is missing the whole picture is ruined. Its not a jigsaw puzzle its a box of random Legos. You get a vision of what you want to build, pour everything on the floor, adjust your vision based on the pieces you have and start building to get it as good as you possibly can.

Stick with what works. Cater to the strength of your players. Get out of your own freaking way. These things your boy has to learn. If he doesn't, we will continue to see this boring crap. And Watson will continue to get beat the F up out there.

Last edited:
Stick with what works. Cater to the strength of your players. Get out of your own freaking way. These things your boy has to learn. If he doesn't, we will continue to see this boring crap. And Watson will continue to get beat the F upnout there.

If Bill O'Brien was "my boy" I'd have him give me a job working for the Texans and make some easy money. :banana:

On one of the ESPN shows they broke down a play the 49ers used that led to a huge TD catch & run. It was a play they showed the Chiefs run the week before & they were talking about it being a copy cat league & we should expect every team would incorporate it into their playbook.

I was like, "I know one team that won't."

WHAT???

I ain't never defended O'Brien. You must be out to ever loving mind...

:thinking:

You're talking about someone else who thinks he's smarter than everyone else aren't you.

18. HOUSTON TEXANS
Last Week: 16th

The Texans escaped with a victory last week against the Jaguars after having a win snatched away at the last moment the prior week against the Saints. Where does that leave this Texans team? They’re roughly where they started the year. Deshaun Watson has lived up to his end of the bargain with a top-10 passing grade (79.6), but the defense has shown signs of weakness. In particular, J.J. Watt has shown signs of decline. The Hall-of-Fame edge defender’s grade has fallen to an okay-but-not-studly 67.8 this year from closer to 90.0 previously in healthy seasons.

http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/fire-bill-obrien-now.113502/page-304

By dvoa, the offense and defense are both ranked #17 after week 2.

Crennel has had a top ten defense almost every year here, bailing out OBriens terrible offense which is always ranked below 20.

I don't think that will happen this year. The defense will just be average and the offense will continue to suck

I'm not exactly sure who you're talking about, but one would suspect their initials begin with, steelbtexan?

I point out plenty of BOB's flaws, so it isn't me he's referring too.

I think he's referring to Mr. Tex.

I know you cant stand me and would like to apologize for whatever issues you have with me, or the truth for that matter.

More like the defense struggles to close out games against top tier QB's.

I believe it's a little of both.

A lot of those games Bill O'Brien went Conservative, trusting in RAC top 5 defense to close out those games. Or we just couldn't get the offense going.

Some of those games O'brien's offense put us in position to win and the defense couldn't get the job done.

I believe it's a little of both.

A lot of those games Bill O'Brien went Conservative, trusting in RAC top 5 defense to close out those games. Or we just couldn't get the offense going.

Some of those games O'brien's offense put us in position to win and the defense couldn't get the job done.

It's true that crennels defense can't stop good QBs as good as it stops bad QBs.

But that's true of any defense. That's why they are elite QBs. They score more points no matter the defense.

At some point OBrien is going to have to build a better offense and average more than 21-22 points per game, or we have to pray the defense somehow becomes the 85 bears

It's true that crennels defense can't stop good QBs as good as it stops bad QBs.

But that's true of any defense. That's why they are elite QBs. They score more points no matter the defense.

At some point OBrien is going to have to build a better offense and average more than 21-22 points per game, or we have to pray the defense somehow becomes the 85 bears

He really need to go back to the offense he ran during Watson's rookie season. That offense was scoring 35 a game in which was leading the league. I understand he wants to set his own offensive course. But he really need to set his pride aside for the betterment of this team.

Hopkins, Fuller, Coutee, Stills, Hyde, Duke, and #4...that talent should be able to roll out of bed and score 22 points without breaking a sweat.
But OB just isn’t smart enough to create an offense to utilize this talent.

Hopkins, Fuller, Coutee, Stills, Hyde, Duke, and #4...that talent should be able to roll out of bed and score 22 points without breaking a sweat.

Yeah. 13 points at home against a jags team missing two top defenders is a big red flag. And the only reason they scored more than 21 last week is because of Watson's miracle throws. Shouldn't come down to that.

Yeah. 13 points at home against a jags team missing two top defenders is a big red flag. And the only reason they scored more than 21 last week is because of Watson's miracle throws. Shouldn't come down to that.
Chargers have a good pass rush but the secondary is decimated. Let’s see how OB “game plans” this one.

Bill O'Brian is the head coach. He's ultimately responsible for everything the Texans do on the field.

This in my opinion was Kubiak's biggest problem. Great offense. No Defense. We spent a lot to make the defense better. Finally we got Wade as DC & the defense turned around.

When we brought O'Brian in he inherited a pretty good defense. He fumble f***** around with the offense for years until our defense is not near as good as it was. Now people want to give him a pass & say "defense lost the game". I repeat that I think O'Brian is responsible for offense, defense & special teams period.

Bill O'Brian is the head coach. He's ultimately responsible for everything the Texans do on the field.

This in my opinion was Kubiak's biggest problem. Great offense. No Defense. We spent a lot to make the defense better. Finally we got Wade as DC & the defense turned around.

When we brought O'Brian in he inherited a pretty good defense. He fumble f***** around with the offense for years until our defense is not near as good as it was. Now people want to give him a pass & say "defense lost the game". I repeat that I think O'Brian is responsible for offense, defense & special teams period.

And the offense still isn't good.

I'm dropping this on two threads.

https://houston.sportsmap.com/a-sho...oaching-record-against-top-level-quarterbacks

A shocking look at Bill O'Brien's coaching record against top-level quarterbacks

Thomas Patrizi
Sep 18, 2019, 5:54 am
It’s good to see the numbers that matches what I’ve been thinking and writing lately. BoB’s teams have had zero “signature” wins against tough competition.
It’s predictable, just like his play calls and misuse of the game clock.

If it doesn't bother you why are you the only one complaining. I did it for a reason.

Who said I was complaining? I asked a simple question. Sensitive much?

I don't give a **** if you post that **** in every thread

Your reasoning sucks if you think others aren't capable or reading or retaining what has been read. If I would have known it was going to upset you so goddamned much, I would have duplicated my post in the other thread also!

Who said I was complaining? I asked a simple question. Sensitive much?

I don't give a **** if you post that **** in every thread

Trust me this **** doesn't bother me one bit. And you are complaining.

Clearly you do or you would've followed suite and chimed in on O'brien's record against top notch quarterbacks.

Hopkins, Fuller, Coutee, & Ron Dayne should be able to score 22 points on a bad day with Watson under Center.

Just gotta keep the big three healthy... & find a talented playcaller.

Let’s see how OB “game plans” this one.
:spit:

Whatever they do you can almost guarantee that OB won’t adjust to take advantage of it. He will just forge ahead with his head down like a bull in a china shop. But hey it’s tough out there and you just wouldn’t understand if your not in football.

OB has sucked the joy out of watching this team. I’m trying to stay positive but even when we win it’s just not a good brand of football. Every aspect of the game is run poorly, From clock management to play design and execution to play calling to game management to making adjustments is just lacking. This isn’t a well run team on the field. Take away Watson’s incredible plays where he made something positive happen off shear talent and this offense wouldn’t be competitive. I know that has a lot to do with the offensive line but the person calling the plays should too. So you can blame the OL all you want but what adjustments has the play caller made to make up for the “lack of cohesion” on the OL? Has he thrown any quick passes to the TEs? Has he put our slot in motion and taken advantage of him on quick plays? Has he strung together a group of plays with short high completion rates to get Watson in a rhythm? Seriously has his game plan ever consisted of anything that resembles a strategy put together specially to take advantage of his opponents weaknesses?

Just once I would like to see him call a play that takes advantage of a specific player that gets up limping or something that shows he's really in tune with what’s going on out on the field. Last week after Tunsil gingerly limped off the field on his first play back OB calls a run right up his back. He didn’t get any push at all. The run stuffed.

Last edited:

Clearly you do or you would've followed suite and chimed in on O'brien's record against top notch quarterbacks.

So asking a simple question about why you feel the need to post the exact same post in two different threads is complaining? Why should I repeat & regurgitate basic info everyone knows? I don't feel the need to build either post count or number of likes, unlike some

So asking a simple question about why you feel the need to post the exact same post in two different threads is complaining? Why should I repeat & regurgitate basic info everyone knows? I don't feel the need to build either post count or number of likes, unlike some
Please use the private conversation feature of this message board for this drivel.

Just rewatched the condensed game of the Seahawks against the Steelers. It’s depressing seeing that Seahawk offense do so good with a bunch of scrubs (except for Lockett) while our loaded WR group, with good Tight Ends look so horrid! Hell, the Steelers offense also looked better than our offense.

Can Cal please fire this clown of a HC already? He’s wasting everyone’s talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back