Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dejavu thought I had the answer; I didn't.
I only had looked at it briefly some time in the past.
I have a few drinks today, so please verify these interesting numbers.

All the numbers can be found by looking up this page.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/

Last year, the Texans scored 402 points, but 28 were by other means (I automatically count the extra point here - this could make a difference, as we shall see).
13 points were in OT, so the net is 361

We all probably think that 2012 was by far, the best offensive output.
It wasn't
416 total points, but 35 were by other means
12 points were in OT, so the net is 369 points, ranked second.

It was 2010 that the offense produced the most points.
390 total, 3 in OT for a net of 387.

Based on this, last year's offense ranked third in franchise history in point scored.

The interesting thing is both 2009 and 2011 saw a net of 360, just a point short of last year offensive scoring output.
(That's why I said that one point may make a difference.)

Given that the Defense under Kubiak were only good in 2011, and 2012 and the fact that the Texans don't invest heavily in offense under Kubiak (arguably less than under O'Brien), it's more than clear that Kubiak's offense was much more consistent.

And Kubiak started from scratch; not so O'Brien.

Now, I may be a little bit off, but it was clear that the best offensive output under O'Brien only ranks third in franchise history.
And only by 1 over two other years, or thereabout. (This needs verification).

Lol, so 1 stat doesn't confirm what you wanted it to so u went with another. Kubiak's offenses were "far superior" by a grand total of............8 pts........ in terms of total pts scored that is. Lol, for all intents and purposes that's damn near neglible.

Dvoa is a metric that takes into account those factors to evaluate defense, offense and special teams. PFF also does a ranking based on grading each play I believe.

Not perfect but those are the best publicly available at this point.

I don't know that kubiak offense counts as a juggernaut, but I agree with Andre and foster that the 2011 team was gonna win the super bowl. I don't think the team collapses with the schaub foot injury and Rick forcing a terrible schaub extension on kubiak

The 2011 team was not winning the SB....& LoL Schaub by definition was a "collapser" & proved as much throughout his tenure here. With extremely rare exception, If the game was on him to win, he was damn near guaranteed to make a mistake that would cost you.

2011 saints game...pick in the middle of the field...
playoff game in NE...crucial pick in the middle of the field just before half
Baltimore Monday nighter...int in the back of the end zone.
Seattle game in 2013...OT pick to Sherman

Just too many to name.

I will agree that Kubiak was better at building a team but not so sure he was better once the season started. That Denver SB win was done off the back of a brick wall defense and a HoF QB that knew his job was just to manage the game and he was happy to do his job for one last ring.

BoB has this weird habit where he puts himself in a hole by crappy talent choices, particularly at QB, but then once he’s in that hole he actually turns it into a nice little place with some carpet and a chair or two and cable TV.

Lol, so 1 stat doesn't confirm what you wanted it to so u went with another. Kubiak's offenses were "far superior" by a grand total of............8 pts........ in terms of total pts scored that is. Lol, for all intents and purposes that's damn near neglible.
Better than by a total of 1, twice.:ahhaha:

And yes, you conveniently forgot that it was still third, not second like steelb had claimed.

That's the central argument, isn't it?

The 2011 team was not winning the SB....& LoL Schaub by definition was a "collapser" & proved as much throughout his tenure here. With extremely rare exception, If the game was on him to win, he was damn near guaranteed to make a mistake that would cost you.

2011 saints game...pick in the middle of the field...
playoff game in NE...crucial pick in the middle of the field just before half
Baltimore Monday nighter...int in the back of the end zone.
Seattle game in 2013...OT pick to Sherman

Just too many to name.
But that also meant that Kubiak had done more with what he had.

OB had Watson, and the Texans were never in the game against the Colts.

I will agree that Kubiak was better at building a team but not so sure he was better once the season started. That Denver SB win was done off the back of a brick wall defense and a HoF QB that knew his job was just to manage the game and he was happy to do his job for one last ring.

BoB has this weird habit where he puts himself in a hole by crappy talent choices, particularly at QB, but then once he’s in that hole he actually turns it into a nice little place with some carpet and a chair or two and cable TV.
Well, O'Brien had the luxury of a great defense throughout his tenure here, maybe except for one year.

I think it is shaping up to be a huge mistake to ignore the 800# gorilla in the room...Cal McNair. Looking at his involvement to date this appears to be an owner that won’t accept the past. I have this feeling that we will see some moves that will surprise. I’m actually interested in the org for the first time in a long time given his Dad’s reluctance to quickly confront problems and failures.

But that also meant that Kubiak had done more with what he had.

OB had Watson, and the Texans were never in the game against the Colts.

Not really.

Bob had a young qb getting his 1st taste of playoff football.

Kubiak’s had a vet qb in Schaub at his absolute zenith, prime AJ & Arian Foster and a stout defense with a young JJ. still couldn’t do much of anything against NE in the playoffs until it didn’t matter.

Not really. We saw Ryan Fitzpatrick look like the best QB in the league for about 4 games last year before he turned back into a pumpkin. Same can be said for other marginal qbs like Blake Bortles, Josh Freeman & Kyle Orton. It is not uncommon for offenses to go on runs like what we saw with DW4 & the offense for 7 games in his rookie year.
Fitz looked so good O'Brien benched him?
Now, that's a novel concept.

Not really.

Bob had a young qb getting his 1st taste of playoff football.

Kubiak’s had a vet qb in Schaub at his absolute zenith, prime AJ & Arian Foster and a stout defense with a young JJ. still couldn’t do much of anything against NE in the playoffs until it didn’t matter.
We can discuss this later.

The fact remains that last year's scoring output was third, not second as steelb had claimed.

Can we agree to that?
Or you want to contest it?

:barman:

Other than that he declined and morphed into throwing legendary “Schaub’s”. Great ol Kubes just couldn’t make adjustments.
OK, we can start a different argument here.
How about that 4th rounder that OB drafted (because he wanted a protypical QB).
How did he adjusted to that?

We can discuss this later.

The fact remains that last year's scoring output was third, not second as steelb had claimed.

Can we agree to that?
Or you want to contest it?

:barman:

If what he was claiming was total points for the season, sure. Not sure that’s what he meant though.

Hey if you always talk to yourself you always get the right answer. You and steel would be perfect roommates, lol. QB fourth rounder is as much a crapshoot as an NBA draftee after about the first ten picks.
And please remember to look into the mirror.
I don’t make personal judgment, as much as I hope to try.

Have a good argument.
Try not to get personal.
Thank you.

Other than that he declined and morphed into throwing legendary “Schaub’s”. Great ol Kubes just couldn’t make adjustments.
We went through this before on this forum.

Just go back and look at Schaub + Keenum vs. Watson + Savage.

It’s not a novel concept.

Same place TJ Yates is...actually no that’s not correct. TJ is out of football. I believe Savage is still hanging on somewhere....on his way out.

Where’s the Keenum that OB discarded for all the QBs that amounted to nothing?

You mean the Keemun that Kubiak couldn’t win not 1 game with in 8 tries? The same guy that BoB pulled out of a deer blind and won 2 games with and subsequently helped him extend his career? That Keemun?

You mean the Keemun that Kubiak couldn’t win not 1 game with in 8 tries? The same guy that BoB pulled out of a deer blind and won 2 games with and subsequently helped him extend his career? That Keemun?
Compare him with Savage that OB spent a draft pick on to begin with.
And by the way, thank you.

So you mean Savage with all his 9 games was ever better than Keenum?
Not a chance .

I meant the Keenum that kept Foles from reclaiming his starting spot with the Rams.
The Keenum that went 4-5 while Golf endured O-fer.
The Keenum that took the Vikings further than any QB in the Houston franchise history ever did.
The Keenum that is still in conversation as a starting QB, and likely will.

Come on, give the guy the credit he deserves.

And i honestly don’t take this personal with OB .
But he didn’t get anything better than the one that was already right in front of him, for CHEAP.

No eye for talent.
Can’t hardly develop any talent.
That’s my beef with him besides the non-existent system that doesn’t help the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back