Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

Watt can shoot the gap and still draw a double team as the system is designed to do. He will be used in many ways, adding another layer of unpredictability. Crennel is salivating at this opportunity.

But there's no way a coach reassigns Watt to OLB. The interior pressure he imposes is of premium value in the league. The Texans attempted to obtain it through two 1st round picks (Okoye, Travis Johnson) before striking gold with Watt.

I might be wrong - but doesn`t 2 gap mean, Watt is not supposed to shoot the gap, but basically "block" 2 linemen? The way I undersgtand it, he isn`t supposed to win a double team, he is supposed to make sure, that the LBs have a clear path to the QB.

In Wades system, every player is supposed to "win" - in a classic 2 gap, the D-Line is not supposed to win, they are supposed to block the O-Line so the LBs can "win".

That`s why people are worried about Watt - and that`s where Crennels job gets interesting, because there is no way he is using the best defensive player in the league like that.

I might be wrong - but doesn`t 2 gap mean, Watt is not supposed to shoot the gap, but basically "block" 2 linemen? The way I undersgtand it, he isn`t supposed to win a double team, he is supposed to make sure, that the LBs have a clear path to the QB.

In Wades system, every player is supposed to "win" - in a classic 2 gap, the D-Line is not supposed to win, they are supposed to block the O-Line so the LBs can "win".

That`s why people are worried about Watt - and that`s where Crennels job gets interesting, because there is no way he is using the best defensive player in the league like that.

Didnt BOB say he dont care about players personal stats, but instead about the team.....If that is the case though you can expect Watt to not stay around after his contract is up.

I'm guessing Rac is going to run a hybrid and maximize our best players. The days of running one D all the time are long gone.

Also, was Watt double teamed all year or just chipped?

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
Good chance that Romeo Crennel becomes #Texans DC. But not yet. Just texted me, “Still unemployed.” Will coach East-West game in 2 weeks

Thread title wrong

Didn't we do something similar with hiring Wade after the East-West Shrine game so that he could get a better knowledge of the prospects from the inside? Active NFL coaches can't participate in it right?

790 (or 610) not sure which station but anyways, one of the commentators made a valid point for sticking with Wade.

A.) He knows the team well enough and keeping him would make it easier for Bill O'Brien as far as dealing with player issues as well as understanding what we have as far as talent is concerned. B.) As a former HC, he can give O'Brien good insight as to how to handle certain challenges that come with being a HC since this is O'Brien's first gig.

Romeo is also a solid hire and I think he would make an excellent coordinator. He had a solid 10-6 season with the Browns who lacked talent and he did an OK job at KC and I would argue he laid the foundation for them to be successful down the road.

A.) He knows the team well enough and keeping him would make it easier for Bill O'Brien as far as dealing with player issues as well as understanding what we have as far as talent is concerned. B.) As a former HC, he can give O'Brien good insight as to how to handle certain challenges that come with being a HC since this is O'Brien's first gig.

A) If Wade knows the team so well then why oh why is Brice McCain still playing man coverage on every single play? Why is Sharpton/Tarpinian in man coverage on Gronkowski? Maybe Wade can deal with player issues (timeouts may be involved) but it's pretty clear that his understanding of the available talent is somewhat flawed. If that's not the case then his stubbornness to adapt his scheme to apparent flaws in talent should get him fired regardless.

B) Doesn't Crennel have that same experience as a (failed) Head Coach?

I'm not sure how I feel about Crennel's scheme, but I'm pretty confident that he will be a more successful DC than Wade. Under Wade, the numbers looked great, but what we saw on the field didn't match what we saw on the stat sheet. He was consistently run over by competent QB's and in the red zone by pretty much everybody.

Well hopefully BoB doesn't listen to the media, because this move isn't well received. I'll hold off judgement but I was hoping BoB would distance himself from the pats failed coaching tree.

A) If Wade knows the team so well then why oh why is Brice McCain still playing man coverage on every single play? Why is Sharpton/Tarpinian in man coverage on Gronkowski? Maybe Wade can deal with player issues (timeouts may be involved) but it's pretty clear that his understanding of the available talent is somewhat flawed. If that's not the case then his stubbornness to adapt his scheme to apparent flaws in talent should get him fired regardless.

B) Doesn't Crennel have that same experience as a (failed) Head Coach?

I'm not sure how I feel about Crennel's scheme, but I'm pretty confident that he will be a more successful DC than Wade. Under Wade, the numbers looked great, but what we saw on the field didn't match what we saw on the stat sheet. He was consistently run over by competent QB's and in the red zone by pretty much everybody.

The "bend but don't break monicker" is not really the intention/goal of the 2-Gap defense... The nature of the defense lends itself to zones or man under with zone deep coverage, which tend to prevent quick strikes... not to mention that it is not a system that requires each gap of the line to be penetrated by a defender... Therefore, it is not as easily attacked with screens and draws as one-gap attack defenses... Generally, there is less "gambling" at the line of scrimmage but that is a function of discipline and design rather than an attitude of caution.

Also, Romeo's defenses have always been good in the red zone... Because it is designed to react to the offense as a single entity, seldom will you see LBs chasing receivers across the field in man coverage. How many red zone passing TDs did the Texans give up because the offense was able to use formation or motion to get a favorable matchup isolated in man coverage? Next year, that should be the exception rather than the rule.

Wait, didn't thunderkyss say this would never happen?

Great hire, peace out Wade!

Reverse prophecy. You can thank me latter.

I'm stoked. Imagine the guys who wanted Cowher as their next head coach, how happy they would be if that were to happen. That's how happy I am right now.

I didn't think O'Brien could pull in Crennel (I think that much of him) even with their New England connection. They weren't there at the same time. I didn't believe they knew each other very well, if at all.

Well hopefully BoB doesn't listen to the media, because this move isn't well received. I'll hold off judgement but I was hoping BoB would distance himself from the pats failed coaching tree.

He might of failed as a head coach but he has always been a good DC

If you can cut Manning and find a suitable FA replacement for cheaper then fine, but I doubt a draft pick would come in and be a better player. I think we're stuck with his contract for now. Same with Joseph.

First.... let's remember it's been quite some time since Manning actually played well.

Second.... cutting Manning adds about $6M to our cap. Cutting Joseph adds about $7M. I don't suggest cutting Jjo, but I'd get over it rather quickly if they were to cut Manning.

Third... Quinten Demps only started 6 games for KC, but he got a lot of snaps & played well.

4th... I'd like to see how this FA class shakes out. Might see Byrd, Bethea, Ihedigbo, plus some lesser known talents. oh yeah & Ed Reed

Somebody needs to change the thread title!

Agreed. Has there been confirmation? This is all I got. We may be jumping the gun here.

The Texans are expected to give Romeo Crennel a strong look as possibly their next defensive coordinator. Wade Phillips' chances of sticking with the team are very small to none, according to Rapoport.

First.... let's remember it's been quite some time since Manning actually played well.

Second.... cutting Manning adds about $6M to our cap. Cutting Joseph adds about $7M. I don't suggest cutting Jjo, but I'd get over it rather quickly if they were to cut Manning.

Third... Quinten Demps only started 6 games for KC, but he got a lot of snaps & played well.

4th... I'd like to see how this FA class shakes out. Might see Byrd, Bethea, Ihedigbo, plus some lesser known talents. oh yeah & Ed Reed

If I understand the cap situation correctly, cutting JoJo would save you 3.75 million and Manning would save you 4.5 million - the rest would stay as dead money on the salary cap. That`s something people need to consider when suggesting cutting our players (cutting Schaub only saves us 4 million next season, but of course that move will come).

Manning and JoJo have been beasts when they came here and then declined and got injured. I´d like to give them a chance in training camp with the new coaching staff.

If I understand the cap situation correctly, cutting JoJo would save you 3.75 million and Manning would save you 4.5 million - the rest would stay as dead money on the salary cap. That`s something people need to consider when suggesting cutting our players

You're right. I read the dead money wrong.

(cutting Schaub only saves us 4 million next season, but of course that move will come).

You're right, unless we designate him as a June 1st cut. We'll gain $11M from cutting Schaub & $7M by designating Jjo a June 1st cut as well.... I believe we're allowed 2. Though I don't suggest we cut Jjo, just renegotiate his compensation freeing up as much as $7M.

You're right, unless we designate him as a June 1st cut. We'll gain $11M from cutting Schaub & $7M by designating Jjo a June 1st cut as well.... I believe we're allowed 2. Though I don't suggest we cut Jjo, just renegotiate his compensation freeing up as much as $7M.

Why push dead money off to clog up future years?

There is no limit on June 1st cuts. There is a 2 player limit on cutting them before June 1st and designating them as June 1st cuts.,

It's just another option available to us. If it makes sense, do it. If not, don't. But if we're talking about maximizing our free cap space for the 2014 season, we make Schaub a June 1st cut. He's due $17M in 2015. Making him a June 1st cut would save us $10M against the 2015 cap.

If you haven't done it, go to OTC As it stands we are $8.7M under the cap for 2014, $18.8M under for 2015.

If we make Schaub a June 1st cut (in the drop down box) we'll be $19.2M under in 2014 & $28.7M under in 2015.

There is no limit on June 1st cuts. There is a 2 player limit on cutting them before June 1st and designating them as June 1st cuts.,

In effect though you don't get to use that money in FA if you don't designate them beforehand.

Slightly surprised at Dalemurphy's assertion that suddenly Mercilus is going to be a force at OLB, and Reed suddenly moves to ILB to a similar effect. Just don't expect a big turnaround like that. I think we may be stuck with them both starting at OLB next season, maybe Trev takes over one of their spots, but I just think there's too much else to get done early in the draft to address that unless we take a ransom for trading back.

This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, but this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.

This! This move really worries me.

Well, they spend a lot of time double-teaming Watt already and he beats it often enough so I don't think they would want him to stop doing that. If the guy demands a double-team and then beats it that's a win-win for everyone right? You still have LB's coming in without having to get around OL bodies right?

The "bend but don't break monicker" is not really the intention/goal of the 2-Gap defense... The nature of the defense lends itself to zones or man under with zone deep coverage, which tend to prevent quick strikes... not to mention that it is not a system that requires each gap of the line to be penetrated by a defender... Therefore, it is not as easily attacked with screens and draws as one-gap attack defenses... Generally, there is less "gambling" at the line of scrimmage but that is a function of discipline and design rather than an attitude of caution.

Also, Romeo's defenses have always been good in the red zone... Because it is designed to react to the offense as a single entity, seldom will you see LBs chasing receivers across the field in man coverage. How many red zone passing TDs did the Texans give up because the offense was able to use formation or motion to get a favorable matchup isolated in man coverage? Next year, that should be the exception rather than the rule.

I understand the scheme just fine. What I'm talking about when I say I'm not sure how I feel about the scheme I'm talking about how it fits with our personnel.

We have one DL capable of two-gaping and that's J.J. Watt. Of course, that would mean that our best player is now reduced to two-gaping. I realize that adjustments will be made, but on the surface I just don't see how this move works with our best player or with how our front seven is currently constructed.

When Belichick was hired, he was Parcells 2.0, hiring a bunch of his friends from his days on Parcells' staff.

Pretty much anyone you hire is going to have connections with previous coaching trees and they're going to hire people they know and have worked with in the past. The team gets its own identity when its coaching staff wins consistently and people stop associating the coach and staff with their previous assignments.

Yeah, that pee-pee and moan line kinda slays me. That's just the way it works in the league every time there's a HCing change. What's Obie supposed to do? Scour the Pop Warner league for the brightest candles? Geeze. I have every confidence that this man is his own man and when this thing is done and in place it will have his own stamp on it.

The Patriots won three Super Bowls with Crennel as their DC. I have no problem with the Texans hiring him.

Forgot Shannahan's Broncos = SF 2.0

Gruden's Raiders and Bucs = SF 2.0

OR it could go the way of McDaniel's Broncos = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Haley's Chiefs = Cardnials/Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Crennel's Browns = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

In any case, what's the point of being Patriots 2.0 unless you you you can find Brady 2.0? Don't remember their system being quite so lauded under drew Bledsoe.

In any case, what's the point of being Patriots 2.0 unless you you you can find Brady 2.0? Don't remember their system being quite so lauded under drew Bledsoe.

Well, that's the system that got the Patriots to the Superbowl early in Bledsoe's career. It's also the system that led to Superbowl wins with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler... also the system that got the Jets to the AFC Championship game with Vinny Testeverde and an 11 win season with Matt Cassel. Oh, and let's not forget that Tom Brady wasn't exactly the player he is now when they won their first Superbowl.

But, okay... Reject that system! What do you suggest?

Well, that's the system that got the Patriots to the Superbowl early in Bledsoe's career. It's also the system that led to Superbowl wins with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler... also the system that got the Jets to the AFC Championship game with Vinny Testeverde and an 11 win season with Matt Cassel. Oh, and let's not forget that Tom Brady wasn't exactly the player he is now when they won their first Superbowl.

Yeah haha amazing how flawed that system is huh :whip:

I suggest that the Patriots are perennial contenders because of Brady, not their system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

I suggest that the Patriots are perennial contenders because of Brady, not their system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

You are the one that initiated the criticism... What system is it that you would like, given we do not have Tom Brady?

You are the one that initiated the criticism... What system is it that you would like, given we do not have Tom Brady?

I wasn't initiating a criticism, merely making my observation that the system is unimportant if you have e.g. Brady/Manning/Brees running it. Stick Brady or Manning in the Texans 2011 WC offense and we're instant Superbowl contenders.

Belichick and Brady -- can't separate, imo. Brady was developed by Belichick. He didn't come out of college all polished up & pretty.

When Brady went down, Matt Cassel led them to 11-5 season in 2008.

I wasn't initiating a criticism, merely making my observation that the system is unimportant if you have e.g. Brady/Manning/Brees running it. Stick Brady or Manning in the Texans 2011 WC offense and we're instant Superbowl contenders.

trust me, it matters. Only one team wins each year and it isn't usually the team with the best Qb.

I dont get all of the skepticism. When we hired Wade, he was a failed HC with a reputation as a great DC who built historically good defenses...and we were optimistic (for good reason). Crennel is the exact same story, except he has three SB rings. Whats wrong with that?

I was a little disappointed we didn't keep Vance Joseph. I'm fine with BOB bringing in his own, but I feel like Vance Joseph is going to be a really good DC somewhere.

Brett Kollmann ‏@BrettKollmann

I really like Seymore and think he was a hell of a player - but in NE his best season was 8 sacks, 34 tackles, 1 FF and 8 passes deflected. Watt is capable of so much more and a defense should be designed to play to our best players strengths.

So in short: I don`t want him to play the Seymore role. If Crennel comes here, he better makes sure to design his defense around our players and to make best use of Watt.

I really like Seymore and think he was a hell of a player - but in NE his best season was 8 sacks, 34 tackles, 1 FF and 8 passes deflected. Watt is capable of so much more and a defense should be designed to play to our best players strengths.

So in short: I don`t want him to play the Seymore role. If Crennel comes here, he better makes sure to design his defense around our players and to make best use of Watt.

watt just makes plays. i don't think you need to develop a system around him. if anything build a system which helps other players shine and just sit back and watch watt do his thing

JJ Watt will have plenty of chances to be JJ Watt.
Right. Watt will get plenty of opportunities to rush the passer. Especially if the Texans can stop the run (and the offense can put points on the board). It's not as if the Texans will be in a base 3-4 during passing downs.
I liked Seymour, also. But on his best day, he was never as good as JJ Watt. What Watt can accomplish isn't restricted by what Seymour accomplished.

Here's the thing though...it's about the TEAM not just Watt. I want the Texans to make plays. Watt will get his but what we need is for the team to have success. I don't really care who gets the sacks as long as they are done. That is what you saw in those Patriots defenses back then. It wasn't about just one player but all as one unit. And from seeing Watt's comments he would want nothing less than team success.

Back