Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

Richard Seymour did pretty well with Crennel.

Check out the starting lineups at pro-football-reference and they have the Pats in a base 4-3 for three of Crennel's 4 years.

Surprise, you didn't read the other reference which as stated lists Crennel as HC of the Browns 2005-8 - Link

I would look for him to be used more like Seymour than McGinest.

Link

Surprised you didn't read the rest of my post stating that exact fact.

He may not get his sack numbers but he really was never supposed to have those anyways.

In turn the OLB's will be getting them. That's the way it should work!

Not to mention watt has been double teamed damn near all season long and he still managed to rack up 10.5 sacks. I think he will still manage to be an impact player for us. Just a hunch.

If you you read the article I posted about what O'brien expects out of his D, it's the DL first and foremost stopping the run........something we couldn't do for beans, especially when it counted. No, in this scheme, the DL will "clog" the middle.......more as fire plugs.........while the LBs go for the throat.

For those who didn't see my post on O'brien's D philosophy: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2278487&postcount=69

That`s cold blooded by O`Brien. First saying he will talk to all coaches here - then spending 5 minutes to just fire them all...

That being said, I like Crennel. He is a way better DC than HC. But I am also a little worried about Watt. He is too good to just use to occupy blockers. And he can`t be turned into an OLB. I don`t know much about defensive schemes, but maybe let the NT (probably has to be a new one) and the other DE (probably not Smith, maybe Crick) be 2 gaps, and Watt be a 1 gap player?

Man, this upcoming season will be exciting. All new coaches - new offense, new defense, probably new QB - number 1 pick in every round. Probably some FAs with the cap savings we get from Schaub and Smith...

Quit worrying about watt. He is the number one guy on this team and no coach would be hired not to utilize him correctly. B'OB specifically said he will adapt all schemes to his players strengths. Not the other way around. Watt will be the one man wrecking crew he is meant to be

B'OB also said he plans to play 70% of snaps in nickel or dime. So who cares about where or Watt is doing in the 3-4 if it will barely be used. Listen to his Q@A before getting anxious about our best player

Quit worrying about watt. He is the number one guy on this team and no coach would be hired not to utilize him correctly. B'OB specifically said he will adapt all schemes to his players strengths. Not the other way around. Watt will be the one man wrecking crew he is meant to be

Exactly. Who cares what that (nice) description of Romeo's defense says, Watt will beast in it because he is a beast. Doesn't matter what system or scheme you put that guy in, he will get his no matter what.

If you you read the article I posted about what O'brien expects out of his D, it's the DL first and foremost stopping the run........something we couldn't do for beans, especially when it counted. No, in this scheme, the DL will "clog" the middle.......more as fire plugs.........while the LBs go for the throat.

For those who didn't see my post on O'brien's D philosophy: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2278487&postcount=69

No I read it and understood it. I just find it hard to believe that if watt somehow manages to bust through a double team, which he did numerous times this season, that he will stop his pursuit of the QB just to stay put "clogging the hole".

I'm not sideways with you bro, I'm just saying that just because he is meant to be double teamed doesn't mean he won't post decent sack numbers as a 3-4 DE. He's proved to be able to do it time in and time out this season and last.

Double teaming watt seems to have been a gameplan for many OC's around the league and it still didn't work 100% of the time. Watt continues to beat them and penetrate even when there is two fat boys on him. He's just that good.

Until RC says that he doesn't want watt to pursue the QB IF he happens to beat a double team, I will still continue not much should change with him.

He is a one of a kind Manimal.

I still would prefer a "younger" guy like Horton and his style of defense, but it looks like he'll be getting a few HC interviews so good on him. Crennel would have been my second choice, so I'm pretty happy about the hire.

Yes, how best to utilize Watt is probably his first thought after being hired. No worries about sacrifising JJ for the "system" here.

OK drafniks, who's the bus that we get to play nose? The name I been hearing is Nix and he's already damaged goods. There's nobody on the roster now that comes even close.

Ninja: Gone. Mitchell: Gone. Sharpton: Gone. That barely scratches the surface. This is looking more and more to be a full blown rebuild much more than a tweak/tune.

Off base?

This change means we pretty much have to bring back Joseph and Manning. No way we can go into next season with Swearinger/Keo. It also means we will probably draft a NT and sign one in FA. We will also address DE in draft or FA. We also need a stud OLB across from Mercilus and a rangy ILB inside with Cushing.

Yea, we stayed in the 3-4, but this hire pretty much changes everything on defense. Would have rather gone to an attacking 4-3 like Seattle.

No doubt that there will significant personnel changes needed. Still, I don't think it means keeping Manning is more important than it would be otherwise... In no system would I be remotely interested in Keo as a starting safety. Manning is an option but there are others available in free agency if we cut Manning for salary relief.

The DL will need a huge makeover. I think Crick will fit nicely as DE depth. Jamison could be servicable as depth at DE or shed 10 lbs and play a role as OLB.... There are no natural fits at DL signed for next season...

Mercilus and Reed both become LBs... I'm quite interested in how Reed looks under Crennel. So, with Mercilus, Cushing, and Reed, you have three assets to place in the four positions... Beyond that, don't forget about Trevardo Williams! This defense is designed for a guy just like Williams- Wade's system was designed to create a one on one matchup between the rushing OLB and offensive tackle... Romeo's 3-4 is designed to have Williams running free untouched or picked up by a TE or RB. Based on our current roster, those 4 guys should all fit into the defense quite well.

In the secondary, KJ, JJo, and Swearinger should all fit very well and probably look like better players than they have under Wade. Beyond that, I'll be interested in how the assess guys like Harris, Buoye, Pleasant, etc...

NT: **
DE: Crick, Jamison
DE:

Let's assume Watt converts to some type of OLB

OLB:Watt,
OLB:Mercilus, T. Williams
ILB:Cushing
ILB:B. Reed

CB: KJ, B.Harris
CB: JJo, McCain (should be fine not constantly exposed in man coverage from slot
S: Manning
S: Swearinger, Pleasant?

So, certainly there are some decisions to be made at DL/OLB (who converts to what best)...

Otherwise, the obvious roster holes are on the DL- especially if Watt doesn't play on the DL... Otherwise, I don't think it complicates our off-season needs... LB depth and Safety was going to be an issue to address regardless of the system.

This! I'm not quite sure why people are in such a panic. Crennel isn't a dumb guy. He mixes up his schemes well and no doubt he'll find ways for Watt to make plays. Will there be times he may be asked to take on blocks to free people up? Sure, but its not going to be nearly as much as some here are thinking. JJ will still be the playmaking beast he's been since day 1.

Richard Seymour did pretty well with Crennel.

Check out the starting lineups at pro-football-reference and they have the Pats in a base 4-3 for three of Crennel's 4 years.

Surprise, you didn't read the other reference which as stated lists Crennel as HC of the Browns 2005-8 - Link

I would look for him to be used more like Seymour than McGinest.

Link

Yes! thank you. Seymour!

I like this! We need to see what Crennel can do! He also has a long history of being a great DC! I still remember those Pats D when he ran it!:swatter:

What I love about his Defensive Coordinating history is that his defenses create turnovers and are always very good in the red zone. Every year as a DC, his teams have ranked higher in points allowed than in yards allowed. Ahh, yes, I am looking forward to being near the top in statistics that actually matter!

It will be interesting to see how they use JJ Watt. I'm trying to think of any Crennel defense with a defensive lineman with Watt's talent... I'm fairly certain that he usually has three large DLs always assigned with 2-gap responsibilities... The rest of the defense is very flexible and morphs into all kinds of alignments and responsibilities (using LBs, Safeties, and/or CBs to play as "jokers"- given assigned freedoms to make plays). The defense is built to free up the jokers to make plays and disguise where where they will be.

I'm not sure how Watt can be an effective play maker in this defense. It will be interesting... I imagine Watt's agent is already in panic mode, realizing how damaging this transition could be for Watt's upcoming contract if he is used in the traditional manner by Romeo.

Richard Seymour

OK drafniks, who's the bus that we get to play nose? The name I been hearing is Nix and he's already damaged goods. There's nobody on the roster now that comes even close.

Ninja: Gone. Mitchell: Gone. Sharpton: Gone. That barely scratches the surface. This is looking more and more to be a full blown rebuild much more than a tweak/tune.

Off base?

I guess Mitchell will move over to DE - I think he would actually excell as a 3-4 DE in Crennells system. Why is Sharpton gone? He should be just fine as an ILB as long as he can stay healthy.

Right now, the line seems like the only area with a massive change. And still we have Watt, Mitchell and Crick as pretty suitable DEs. We are very thin at DT, that`s true. But a FA and a draftpick should suffice to fix that (Mitchell or Crick can play inside in case of emergency).

I´d say it is safe to say that NT will be either a big FA signing or a high draft pick. Other than that, most of our players can stay. Mercilus will love the new system. Perhaps get another pass rushing OLB, maybe some more depth at ILB and we are set. 4-6 new players through FA and draft picks with only 1-2 needing to be real impact players. That`s not a rebuild.

Quickly running through some 2Gap free agent names:

R.Starks
Solial
A. Franklin
L. Joseph
T. Cody
Ratliff
Pickett
J. Powe
Tyson Jackson
Raji
Kiesel
J.Jolly

among others...

BOB said he wanted everyone to play as a "team".. and I believe that's something JJ believes in, I don't think he would wine about not getting as many sacks, if the team is winning.. but to be Honest... its JJ Watt!! He's still gonna have double digit sacks

Off base?

Sign Linval Joseph in FA and draft Ryan Carrethers.

If they dont draft Clowney I could see Mitchell re-signed and moved to DE to compete with Crick.

I still would prefer a "younger" guy like Horton and his style of defense, but it looks like he'll be getting a few HC interviews so good on him. Crennel would have been my second choice, so I'm pretty happy about the hire.

I like an old coot that the entire league knows is not a good HC. He can be great as a DC and be here for years because he won't get hired away like Horton would. Therefore my second choice was ... Thorn.

B'OB also said he plans to play 70% of snaps in nickel or dime. So who cares about where or Watt is doing in the 3-4 if it will barely be used. Listen to his Q@A before getting anxious about our best player

yeah, I really don't care about 3-4 v 4-3 probably as much as I should for this reason. the fat NT plays less than 3rd corner and some games less than 6th DB.

JJ Watt will have plenty of chances to be JJ Watt.

Anyway, Romeo is a good hire also since it does give O'Brien a former NFL head coach as a resource for little things we that we as fans may not know or even care about that may be a part of the job.

So now all Billy Boy needs to do is hire the fat guy out of Kansas as the OC and the Texans go from Denver 2.0 to Patriots 2.0...

Will this team ever have it's own identity...

So now all Billy Boy needs to do is hire the fat guy out of Kansas as the OC and the Texans go from Denver 2.0 to Patriots 2.0...

Crawl , walk , run . :jogger:

I think we made it to a fast walk and failed . Would you rather have Kubiak and Richard Smith ?

DE:

CB: JJo, McCain (should be fine not constantly exposed in man coverage from slot

So, certainly there are some decisions to be made at DL/OLB (who converts to what best)...

Otherwise, the obvious roster holes are on the DL- especially if Watt doesn't play on the DL... Otherwise, I don't think it complicates our off-season needs... LB depth and Safety was going to be an issue to address regardless of the system.
I still want to draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. While I was thinking he'd be better suited at right end in a 4-3, he's so freakishly athletic I think he can still perform at full beast mode and dominate at right end in a 3-4 with J.J. Watt on the other side. We would simply need to find a legitimate nose tackle - perhaps draft one in round three if we go with a quarterback with the first pick in round two. I'd definitely target one of those big 330-pound nose tackles in the early rounds. If Daniel McCullers (6'8 and 351) out of Tennessee falls to round two, I'd snag him at 33. And then draft a quarterback with the first pick in round three.

Crawl , walk , run . :jogger:

I think we made it to a fast walk and failed . Would you rather have Kubiak and Richard Smith ?

No that is what I am saying, Kubiak comes in and tries to make the Texans look like the Denver Broncos and failed for the most part. Now O'Brien comes in, has started hiring former Patriot coaches, and now the Texans will look like the Patriots...

I just would like the Texans to look like the Texans and stand apart on their own...

I still want to draft Jadeveon Clowney number one overall. While I was thinking he'd be better suited at right end in a 4-3, he's so freakishly athletic I think he can still perform at full beast mode and dominate at right end in a 3-4 with J.J. Watt on the other side. We would simply need to find a legitimate nose tackle - perhaps draft one in round three if we go with a quarterback with the first pick in round two. I'd definitely target one of those big 330-pound nose tackles in the early rounds. If Daniel McCullers (6'8 and 351) out of Tennessee falls to round two, I'd snag him at 33. And then draft a quarterback with the first pick in round three.

Well, if Crennel wants to keep his system, we don`t need Clowney. He will need to be creative with Watt - if he also wants to use Clowney to his strengths he will either only be a situational pass rusher or change the whole 2 gap philosophy. Basically in that system, the D-Line plays like the O-Line. They block the O-Line players so that the LBs have a gap they can shoot. They are not looking to win the battle, they are looking to keep the linemen off the LBs.

You mean like:

New England= Cleveland Browns 2.0

or
Holmgren's Packers= SF 2.0

or
Reid's Eagles= Holmgren's Packers 2.0

When Belichick was hired, he was Parcells 2.0, hiring a bunch of his friends from his days on Parcells' staff.

Pretty much anyone you hire is going to have connections with previous coaching trees and they're going to hire people they know and have worked with in the past. The team gets its own identity when its coaching staff wins consistently and people stop associating the coach and staff with their previous assignments.

You mean like:

New England= Cleveland Browns 2.0

or
Holmgren's Packers= SF 2.0

or
Reid's Eagles= Holmgren's Packers 2.0

Forgot Shannahan's Broncos = SF 2.0

Gruden's Raiders and Bucs = SF 2.0

OR it could go the way of McDaniel's Broncos = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Haley's Chiefs = Cardnials/Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

OR Crennel's Browns = Patriots 2.0/ FAIL

When Belichick was hired, he was Parcells 2.0, hiring a bunch of his friends from his days on Parcells' staff.

Pretty much anyone you hire is going to have connections with previous coaching trees and they're going to hire people they know and have worked with in the past. The team gets its own identity when its coaching staff wins consistently and people stop associating the coach and staff with their previous assignments.

Yeah I get that, just don't want to hear that the Texans are the Patriot's 2.0 like we heard the Texans were Denver 2.0...

but if the Texans have 3 SB wins, guess being like the Patriots wouldn't be a bad thing...

No doubt that there will significant personnel changes needed. Still, I don't think it means keeping Manning is more important than it would be otherwise... In no system would I be remotely interested in Keo as a starting safety. Manning is an option but there are others available in free agency if we cut Manning for salary relief.

The DL will need a huge makeover. I think Crick will fit nicely as DE depth. Jamison could be servicable as depth at DE or shed 10 lbs and play a role as OLB.... There are no natural fits at DL signed for next season...

Mercilus and Reed both become LBs... I'm quite interested in how Reed looks under Crennel. So, with Mercilus, Cushing, and Reed, you have three assets to place in the four positions... Beyond that, don't forget about Trevardo Williams! This defense is designed for a guy just like Williams- Wade's system was designed to create a one on one matchup between the rushing OLB and offensive tackle... Romeo's 3-4 is designed to have Williams running free untouched or picked up by a TE or RB. Based on our current roster, those 4 guys should all fit into the defense quite well.

In the secondary, KJ, JJo, and Swearinger should all fit very well and probably look like better players than they have under Wade. Beyond that, I'll be interested in how the assess guys like Harris, Buoye, Pleasant, etc...

DE:

If you can cut Manning and find a suitable FA replacement for cheaper then fine, but I doubt a draft pick would come in and be a better player. I think we're stuck with his contract for now. Same with Joseph.

As for Watt, he's not an OLB. He will play DE. Mitchell is not suitable at DE in a two-gap system. He can't fight double teams. That's been the knock on him by every guy on this board for 2 years. The jury is still out on Crick although I don't think he'll ever be more than a depth player. Ninja is gone. No way he stays around to play true 3-4 DE. That's the reason he left Arizona. We have no NT. Huge holes on the D-Line starting right now.

At LB, Cushing fits right in at MLB, but we still need another guy at ILB. Sharpton is a FA and I wouldn't bring him back regardless. Maybe Joe Mays? Mercilus will be a great fit at OLB, but I'm not sold on Reed. I like him, but he's not a fit as a pass rusher. He's a run defender like Barwin in Philly. We may end up starting Trevardo Williams at OLB and Reed finally gets that shot at ILB.

Great hire. Now maybe we get our fat boy in the middle of the dl. All we need now is Charlie Weiss (just kidding) as oc. If we hire the oc from Louisville then we all know who the first pick of the draft will be. I'm more for drafting Clowney and going with a veteran qb. Trading down would be alright with me also and grabbing one of the top 2 linebackers.

If you can cut Manning and find a suitable FA replacement for cheaper then fine, but I doubt a draft pick would come in and be a better player. I think we're stuck with his contract for now. Same with Joseph.

As for Watt, he's not an OLB. He will play DE. Mitchell is not suitable at DE in a two-gap system. He can't fight double teams. That's been the knock on him by every guy on this board for 2 years. The jury is still out on Crick although I don't think he'll ever be more than a depth player. Ninja is gone. No way he stays around to play true 3-4 DE. That's the reason he left Arizona. We have no NT. Huge holes on the D-Line starting right now.

At LB, Cushing fits right in at MLB, but we still need another guy at ILB. Sharpton is a FA and I wouldn't bring him back regardless. Maybe Joe Mays? Mercilus will be a great fit at OLB, but I'm not sold on Reed. I like him, but he's not a fit as a pass rusher. He's a run defender like Barwin in Philly. We may end up starting Trevardo Williams at OLB and Reed finally gets that shot at ILB.

Crennel likes big guys at NT and OLB IIRC .

Can we hire the camera crew from NE ?

I don't see where Clowney fits in the defense. I hear people say he can play OLB, but I don't see it. He's not a 3-4 DE either. He could be, but he doesn't want to be. He said last year that he wanted no part of playing 3-4 DE (sorry, couldn't find link) because he wants to rush the passer. The guy wants sacks. How long does he two-gap and play the run before he gives up because he isn't getting to the QB?

We need a big guy with length, who can beat single blocking and disrupt in the backfield, but who can also hold down to a double team and keep the LB's clean.

Watt can shoot the gap and still draw a double team as the system is designed to do. He will be used in many ways, adding another layer of unpredictability. Crennel is salivating at this opportunity.

But there's no way a coach reassigns Watt to OLB. The interior pressure he imposes is of premium value in the league. The Texans attempted to obtain it through two 1st round picks (Okoye, Travis Johnson) before striking gold with Watt.

Is there any chance Seymore gets cut by the Raiders this year before June 1st?

Seymour didn't play last yr.

The Bears tied to sign him after Melton got hurt. He wanted 5 mil for half a season. So that's not happening. Although it would be great if it did.

Back