Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ed Reed may miss games now

How about the Texans pulled another Boselli? No one is blaming Reed so calm down. The Texans made yet another mistake on an old player in the FA market. Why do they refuse to get legit serviceable non choir boy players as FAs? It sure would be nice if they ever decided to get a REAL #2 FA WR opposite AJ but they'll do that once AJ is gone and we need a #1 WR.

If Reed plays 5 games this year I will be shocked. Which would be 5x as many as Boselli.

Calm down? Go smoke some more of your friend........ It can't be determined whether or not the Texans made a mistake because a game hasn't been played yet. Reed's value won't be able to be determined until the end of the year. Boseli didn't play for a full season before the Texans drafted him. To me these are completely different situations.

Calm down? Go smoke some more of your friend........ It can't be determined whether or not the Texans made a mistake because a game hasn't been played yet. Reed's value won't be able to be determined until the end of the year. Boseli didn't play for a full season before the Texans drafted him. To me these are completely different situations.

I think the Texans smoked some when they signed that contract. Reed is old and had major hip surgery. I hope when he plays he's effective because just playing is irrelevant if he sucks.

I guess this is Ed being Ed :rollseyes:

I think the Texans smoked some when they signed that contract. Reed is old and had major hip surgery. I hope when he plays he's effective because just playing is irrelevant if he sucks.

I guess this is Ed being Ed :rollseyes:

Dude, Reed came off a season where he just had an INT in the Super Bowl that his team won. Boseli was injury riddle for a few years and didn't even play a game the season before the Texans drafted him. You can't even compare the 2 situations.

It's so easy to be drastically negative about this whole Ed Reed thing.

Reed has a bad season, you look good for predicting something that doesn't take a football genius to figure out.

Reed has a productive season, you get to enjoy the success of being a Texan fan.

Win-win scenario.

And when you factor in the contract, losing Quinn, and there really not being any other options, and people just look silly for having such strong negative opinions towards this all.

And when you factor in the contract, losing Quinn, and there really not being any other options, and people just look silly for having such strong negative opinions towards this all.

It wasn't about options. Plain & simple, Ed Reed expressed interest to Andre about wanting to be a Texan right after they won the Super Bowl. Andre relayed the information to Gary & Rick.

Gary & Rick decided Ed Reed had something to offer this team. They then formulated a plan that made sense to them. With the situation we were in, it made more sense, to them, to let Quin go. It had nothing to do with the money, we gave Ed Reed more or less the same money Detroit gave Quin. They decided they preferred Reed to Quin.

If Ed Reeds ability to play in week 1 is a major concern for someone, or if someone thinks this is Ahman Green/Tony Bosselli part 2 (or 3 depending how you're counting) then they simply do not understand the purpose Ed Reed is here.

Adam Schefter @ AdamSchefter

Texans S Ed Reed, recovering from off-
season hip surgery, is not expected to
play tonight vs. San Diego, per sources.

It wasn't about options. Plain & simple, Ed Reed expressed interest to Andre about wanting to be a Texan right after they won the Super Bowl. Andre relayed the information to Gary & Rick.

Gary & Rick decided Ed Reed had something to offer this team. They then formulated a plan that made sense to them. With the situation we were in, it made more sense, to them, to let Quin go. It had nothing to do with the money, we gave Ed Reed more or less the same money Detroit gave Quin. They decided they preferred Reed to Quin.

If Ed Reeds ability to play in week 1 is a major concern for someone, or if someone thinks this is Ahman Green/Tony Bosselli part 2 (or 3 depending how you're counting) then they simply do not understand the purpose Ed Reed is here.

if you want him to coach, let him retire and give him a whistle. Otherwise he is wasting a roster spot sitting on the bench. Until he gets full reps in practice, it is part 3. Seriously, they did not give the man a physical before signing him?

I keep reading a lot of battered spouse syndrome here. Ed isn't Boselli. He isn't Green. He isn't Moulds. Until he misses significant time I think some people are putting the cart before the horse.

My 2¢.

I keep reading a lot of battered spouse syndrome here. Ed isn't Boselli. He isn't Green. He isn't Moulds. Until he misses significant time I think some people are putting the cart before the horse.

My 2¢.

You're probably right, but it's so much more fun to be overly dramatic.

if you want him to coach, let him retire and give him a whistle. Otherwise he is wasting a roster spot sitting on the bench. Until he gets full reps in practice, it is part 3. Seriously, they did not give the man a physical before signing him?

It's not about him coaching either & if you're asking about a physical, you need to use the search feature because we covered that several times long ago.

Playing in the game is irrelevant if he plays and isn't effective. I hope he can play and be effective. I keep hearing Ed is being Ed and will play the first game. Hopefully that's the case.

Ed Reed not playing today should surprise no one. The cortisone injection and four plasma rich platelet injections he received a couple of weeks ago would not have been necessary if his labrum repair was healing as anticipated and if there was no significant inflammation in the area of the hip joint. Saying that the platelet injections would kick in after a week or two is demonstrating a total ignorance of how these injections are supposed to work. Even though at this time, studies have not been shown to demonstrate any consistency that these injections are effective, those that do claim some success, assess their progress at 6 months and 12 months. Thus whatever improvement may be appreciated may be strictly a reflection of what would have happened over time anyway given this additional natural healing time. It wouldn't surprise me a bit, if Reed is played in the Ravens game, in that it would be more of Reed trying to "sock it to" the team that released him after years of loyalty, and the Texans trying to save face for mis-assessing his hip health status and taking on a player with potential "dead weight." It also wouldn't surprise me if when he does eventually see the field again for a game or two, it may result in him disappearing for an indeterminate number of subsequent games, if he is fortunate enough to return at all. And with the way this recovery has gone to this point, what his performance when he does return is, will likely be one big crapshoot.

They did not release him. But still it's Ed being Ed, right? He'll be back next week and dominate the rest of the year

I don't know. I'm thinking if the Texans had to do it all over again, they'd probably shy away from him. Ed was great in his day, but it is beginning to look like the Ravens made the right move.

I don't know. I'm thinking if the Texans had to do it all over again, they'd probably shy away from him. Ed was great in his day, but it is beginning to look like the Ravens made the right move.

Keep your negative/second thought feelings out of this thread or else you'll wake the nut huggers.

It is but they took a shot. If it doesn't work out then you move on and try something else next year.

Ed Reed calls return to Baltimore just 'another away game'

By Jeff Zrebiec, The Baltimore Sun

7:58 p.m. EDT, September 19, 2013

Ed Reed insisted that it won't be an emotional day for him. His return to the place where he played for 11 seasons to face an organization that he won a Super Bowl with seven months ago is just "another away game right now."

But as Reed continued to talk, he offered a glimpse of the emotional tug that he will probably experience Sunday when he returns to Baltimore to face the Ravens as a member of the Houston Texans.

He admits to thinking about the short drive to M&T Bank Stadium from a downtown hotel and the familiar walk past security guards that he's shaken hands with on game days for years now. But that's where things get fuzzy because his destination has never been the visitor's locker room.
Ed Reed calls return to Baltimore just 'another away game'

"I still got a lot of thinking to do," Reed said Thursday in a conference call with local reporters. "My time in Baltimore was awesome, every bit of it. I have no regrets from when [general manager Ozzie Newsome] called me on draft day, to being in the old facility, practicing in the snow with [head coach Brian Billick] and just everything we went through with Coach [John Harbaugh] and growing. Iron sharpening iron. I have a lot of great memories, a lot of great friends.

"I always will be a Raven. That's where I was kind of raised in the NFL. I did a lot of growing and we did a lot of special things. That's something that can never be taken away and it never will. There's a lot of love there."

Reed, the ball-hawking safety who has built a future Hall of Fame career on surprising quarterbacks, seems intent on keeping everybody guessing until the very end. Signed by the Texans in late March, Reed has yet to suit up for a game with his new team because he's still recovering from surgery that he had in April to repair a torn labrum in his hip. He says that he's still dealing with tightness and soreness and he has a "lot of work to do" before he returns to game action.

"I'm not confident about nothing but going day-to-day, the way I've been," Reed said when asked if he's confident that he'll play Sunday. "You can't be confident if you haven't been on the field."

Never mind that none of his former teammates actually believe that he'd miss an opportunity to play again in front of fans, who for more than a decade, cheered him loudly every time he got his hands near the football. Never mind that former Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, his long-time teammate and close friend, will be at M&T Bank Stadium to be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor during a halftime ceremony. Never mind that Reed has been practicing for several weeks and his current coach, Gary Kubiak, said Wednesday that the nine-time Pro Bowl selection is as close to playing as he has been.

In the 10-plus minute conference call, Reed was at his mercurial best, talking more about "coaching" against the Ravens than playing against them — for whatever that's worth.

"Just looking at the whole team, it just looks a little different for me, especially being on this side of things," Reed said. "I was looking at it last night like, 'Wow, this is something that I'm really coaching against my boys.'"

Asked if he anticipated being emotional around 1 p.m. Sunday, Reed said "not at all," comparing it to all the games that he played against the Indianapolis Colts and their standout wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who was his former roommate at the University of Miami.

"It's like playing against your brothers again, while I'm out there coaching," Reed said. "I've been having this feeling for a long time. It's different being here and coming to see my guys, who I've been fighting with for a long time."

But his pending return certainly has stirred up plenty of emotions from his former teammates. Both quarterback Joe Flacco and wide receiver Torrey Smith, who compared Reed to a big brother, admitted that it will be weird to see him, potentially wearing the No.20 jersey of another team.
THE REST OF THE STORY

I can very well understand his statement. And no one here should fault him for it. Must be a difficult situation for any player in his position.....and certainly one that would carry with it many mixed feelings.

Good read. I certainly can understand his position and would be surprised if it were any different.

The only thing that would surprise me, though, is if it were just another away game for Reed. Sometimes you can't say it enough times to make it so.

We should understand. Thats their Andre Johnson, no matter where Ed Reed goes, he will be seen as a Raven. If Dre (god forbid) were to play for another team Im sure he would say and feel the same.

I am mulling whether the Ravens are being chicken crap honoring Ray Lewis this week. It is awkward for Lewis and Reed. Don't see the reason for doing it this week other than making things awkward for Reed. Last week was their home opener.

Last night on Ch 11 News at 6 they had a soundbite from reed saying if he does play it would only be a limited snap count and not starting according to Kubiaks wishes but if it was up to Wade he would be out there the entire game.

Now today Kubiak says when Reed returns it will only be a as a starter.

Like I have been saying for months: Ed will play when Ed wants to play. Ed being Ed.

I am mulling whether the Ravens are being chicken crap honoring Ray Lewis this week. It is awkward for Lewis and Reed. Don't see the reason for doing it this week other than making things awkward for Reed. Last week was their home opener.

I read this and saw it as a huge dick move by the Ravens.

When I hear about Andre Johnson possibly missing games, I get a sense that the man wants to be back in the game. He does NOT want to sit on the bench while his teammates are out there playing.

Ed Reed, on the other hand, seems almost complacent. He appears satisfied just collecting a paycheck and sitting on the sidelines.

I read this and saw it as a huge dick move by the Ravens.

Reeds split up with the Ravens wasn't as nice as people have lead on. Great reason for him to do his thing. Don't think for a minute he doesn't want to go out there and humiliate Flacco

The Ravens had to work around Ray's ESPN schedule and his son's football schedule- this game worked out the best for all parties.

had nothing to do with Ed Reed.

Back