Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ed Reed may miss games now

I was watching the last game against the Colts last night and must say, Quin had a rough game. I've re-watched a few games from last season and have come to the conclusion that we might've overrated Quin. I love the way he tackles, but his coverage is average to below average. That said, I was wary on the Reed signing and am still kinda meh until I see him on the field. Hopefully DJ is as good as the early reports are saying.

*Schaub's poorly thrown ball to Casey that was picked angrified me all over again. As well as settling for FGs and crappy STs

I do think Quin was overrated by some as well.

He was a good player, but I don't think he's worth $4-5M a year.

Edit:
Nope... this conversation doesn't belong here...
back to football

Last edited:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2222/ed-reed

According to the Houston Chronicle, "nobody has any clue" when new Texans FS Ed Reed (hip surgery) will be healthy and ready to play.
Despite optimism from Houston's front office, pretty much all signs point toward Reed being damaged goods. It appears the Texans were #Ozzied. Reed himself has been wholly noncommittal on his return timetable. Turning 35 in September, there's a legitimate chance Reed is the Texans' next version of Ahman Green. Jul 20 - 10:52 PM

Defense looks like it'll be pretty bad except for JJ Watt. Question marks all around with the linebacker situation, Earl Mitchell at the NT is an issue for me, and Ed Reed's health is a big concern.

I'm not convinced that the defense will be "pretty bad", but I believe it will take a big step back from last year.

Positives - Watt and Smith can hold their own. The corners are solid with KJ and JJ. And Manning is strong.

Negatives - Mitchell at NG in a 3/4. Cushing's actual recovery. Reed, Mercilus and Sharpton as the rest of the LB corps. Replacing Quin.

Double team Watt and average teams will be able to run against us.

I'm not convinced that the defense will be "pretty bad", but I believe it will take a big step back from last year.

Positives - Watt and Smith can hold their own. The corners are solid with KJ and JJ. And Manning is strong.

Negatives - Mitchell at NG in a 3/4. Cushing's actual recovery. Reed, Mercilus and Sharpton as the rest of the LB corps. Replacing Quin.

MSR

:texan:

Really?! JJ was doubled, tripled, chipped and schemed against all season and was still the DPOY as well as being in the conversation as overall POY. So, now all the opposition has to do is double team him for "average teams" to run against us?

Where is your logic here? I'm not seeing it.

Really?! JJ was doubled, tripled, chipped and schemed against all season and was still the DPOY as well as being in the conversation as overall POY. So, now all the opposition has to do is double team him for "average teams" to run against us?

Where is your logic here? I'm not seeing it.

My implication was that if our opponents do what they can to contain Watt as best as possible like they did last year with minimal success, the remaining 10 players on our defense this season don't look as good as the remaining 10 did last year. They ran on us last year fairly well despite Watt so I expect more of the same.

My implication was that if our opponents do what they can to contain Watt as best as possible like they did last year with minimal success, the remaining 10 players on our defense this season don't look as good as the remaining 10 did last year. They ran on us last year fairly well despite Watt so I expect more of the same.

Mainly without Cushing that is, other than that what did Barwin really do last season ? He wasnt that good, Merciuls in his limited time actually played better than barwin. So we get Cush back, Mercilus will be in a lot more. We have Manning and DJ, i actually see our D being just as good if not better.

Mainly without Cushing that is, other than that what did Barwin really do last season ? He wasnt that good, Merciuls in his limited time actually played better than barwin. So we get Cush back, Mercilus will be in a lot more. We have Manning and DJ, i actually see our D being just as good if not better.

The good news is that the season is close, so we will soon find out. I hope you are right.

old, injured player past his prime....kinda what I said when the deal went down. How much vet leadership did Ahman Green give that overcame his lack of ability to get on the field as a difference maker?

First off, we were 7th against the run last year, 10th if you want to look at ypc. So most teams did not run on us "fairly well" last year. We had some issues with our OLBs, ILBs, and NT last year not playing up to what we would have liked. I think we're going to see improved play from both the NT and ILB spots this year and I think our OLB rotation got more athletic.

I don't know if we're going to improve much from last year but I don't expect to get a lot worse, either.

The Packers & Patriots found a way to minimize Jj Watt. The Patriots did it twice. The blue print is out there, I agree with you, that more teams will copy that blue print.....

It's the same for Kaepernick, Wilson, & RG3. Teams will figure them out.

It's possible that Watt can be like Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Ronnie Lot, Deion Sanders..... & he finds a way to produce at an elite level regardless. But those guys are rare & I haven't seen one on the defense side of the ball in a long, long time.

Ray Lewis & Brian Urlacher...... maybe?

old, injured player past his prime....kinda what I said when the deal went down. How much vet leadership did Ahman Green give that overcame his lack of ability to get on the field as a difference maker?

So you & John McClain think alike? You should be proud.

The Packers & Patriots found a way to minimize Jj Watt. The Patriots did it twice. The blue print is out there, I agree with you, that more teams will copy that blue print.....

It's possible that Watt can be like Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Ronnie Lot, Deion Sanders..... & he finds a way to produce at an elite level regardless. But those guys are rare & I haven't seen one on the defense side of the ball in a long, long time.

Just to be clear, I do believe that Watt is special, and will be one of those guys who can personally make a difference despite being double-teamed or strategically planned for. Definitely one of the best football players in the NFL.

I just don't believe that his 10 remaining defensive teammates are going to be any better than just OK. Not bad, but not great. So I think that decent offenses will have a chance to score 17-24 points on us. Our offense just has to deliver.

Not every team has the tools, talent and QB to follow that blue print. And Didnt Watt get to Rogers twice ? and he hit brady like 5 times in the first meeting, would be more worried about the LBs and CBs in coverage than the ability of JJ Watt in those games.

Why does Blitz keep saying "us"? I'm confused.

People think he's a Colts fan. I'm unsure. I think he's a Texans fan who just really hates Schaub. He likes the Colts as opposed to the Texans because they had Peyton, then got Luck.. "looks" like they are doing everything right, while we waste our time with Schaub.

At least they took out insurance in DJ. TBH as long as he mentors DJ and could potentially help us in the PLAYOFFS, I would be fine with it.

At least they took out insurance in DJ. TBH as long as he mentors DJ and could potentially help us in the PLAYOFFS, I would be fine with it.

This is my mind set as well. I realize its PreSeason but DJ looks legit! Will he make mistakes? No doubt. What he will need to know to decipher what he sees and react to it. That is taught in the film room.

Hmm, the Packers minimized him to 2 sacks, 5 tackles and 1 assist. The Patriots did a better job on him, holding him to .5 sacks, 3 tackles, 5 assists and 1 forced fumble.

Can't say it's much of a blueprint, but if teams want to use it...go for it.

Just to be clear, I do believe that Watt is special, and will be one of those guys who can personally make a difference despite being double-teamed or strategically planned for. Definitely one of the best football players in the NFL.

I just don't believe that his 10 remaining defensive teammates are going to be any better than just OK. Not bad, but not great. So I think that decent offenses will have a chance to score 17-24 points on us. Our offense just has to deliver.

Just to give some context to this...

17 points per game over an entire season comes to 272 points total. Last year, only 1 defense did better than that: the Seahawks who gave up 15 points per game. We gave up 20 points per game and we were ranked 10th in the league.

24 points per game over an entire season comes to 384 points total. Last year, that would have been good enough for 20th and better than the Colts, Cowboys, Redskins, Jaguars, and Titans... among others.

Our defense was doing pretty good, keeping most opponents under 20 points, until the last several games of the season. I think our issues at ILB were just too much by that point and people started taking advantage of us. If we can keep Cush upright and playing fierce, I think we can improve our points allowed per game.

If we can do that, we're going to be tough to beat.

Just to give some context to this...

17 points per game over an entire season comes to 272 points total. Last year, only 1 defense did better than that: the Seahawks who gave up 15 points per game. We gave up 20 points per game and we were ranked 10th in the league.

24 points per game over an entire season comes to 384 points total. Last year, that would have been good enough for 20th and better than the Colts, Cowboys, Redskins, Jaguars, and Titans... among others.

Our defense was doing pretty good, keeping most opponents under 20 points, until the last several games of the season. I think our issues at ILB were just too much by that point and people started taking advantage of us. If we can keep Cush upright and playing fierce, I think we can improve our points allowed per game.

If we can do that, we're going to be tough to beat.

Especially the Pats. Our ILBs were getting abused in the passing game. They knew it was our weakest link and attacked the heck out of it.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6h

Ed Reed’s contract has $1 million worth of per-game incentives, meaning for each game he plays, Reed collects $62,500.

Interesting in that incentives are categorized as either "Likely to be Earned" (LTBE) or "Not Likely to be Earned" (NLTBE). Their names are pretty self explanatory. LTBE incentives count towards the cap while NLTBE incentives do not. But the way it goes is that if the player achieves those NLTBE incentives then they count toward the following year's cap. So how would you really categorize Reed's incentive??:thinking:

I'd catagorize his incentives as very doubtful, just like his chances of seeing the field in the first half of the season. This FA signing is backfiring on us so far, we'll see what happens for the season but it's not looking good.

I'd catagorize his incentives as very doubtful, just like his chances of seeing the field in the first half of the season. This FA signing is backfiring on us so far, we'll see what happens for the season but it's not looking good.

Like Reed already said, if the Super Bowl were today he'd be playing. If Reed plays second half/playoffs for us that is a BIG win for me, especially as Swearinger gets better as the season goes on and it all comes together in time for stretch run.

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Reed missed the pre season last year too.

Interesting in that incentives are categorized as either "Likely to be Earned" (LTBE) or "Not Likely to be Earned" (NLTBE). Their names are pretty self explanatory. LTBE incentives count towards the cap while NLTBE incentives do not. But the way it goes is that if the player achieves those NLTBE incentives then they count toward the following year's cap. So how would you really categorize Reed's incentive??:thinking:

Here's the CBA language on incentives being "Likely" or "Not Likely":
Any and all incentive amounts, including but not limited to performance bonuses, shall be included in Team Salary if they are “likely to be earned” during such League Year based upon the player’s and/or Team’s performance during the prior year.

The bolded part is what drives the determination. Ed Reed played all 16 regular season games for the Ravens last season, therefore, the entire $1 Million is considered "Likely to be earned". Should he miss any games in the 2013 regular season, the Texans will be credited $62,500 against the 2014 salary cap for each game missed (Assuming of course that Schefter's info is correct).

Last edited:

It's backfiring because he hasn't played in the Preseason?

I'm not concerned at all. My gut says he's starting week 3 but hypothetically if he's PUP'd and returns for the KC game I'm still cool with that. The games in Dec-Feb are what we brought him in for.

I think Ed will be there week one. I've heard too many people that know him say they think he'll be there week one so that'll be my guess.

I think Ed will be there week one. I've heard too many people that know him say they think he'll be there week one so that'll be my guess.

Me too.

Billick was on MAD Radio yesterday and definitively, without hesitation said Reed will be there week 1 (unless there is something he doesn't know).

Said Reed's a veteran who takes care of his body, etc, etc; essentially, Reed is sitting out all of the unnecessary (for him) training camp/preseason stuff to get healthy to play the season.

Who gives a ****. We didnt sign Ed Reed to help us beat Rivers and Locker. We got Ed Reed to help us beat Brady and Manning. We need him to play the last 8 games, not the first 8. And even if he is done for his career worst case scenario is that he gets his 6 million this year and is on his merry way.

Said Reed's a veteran who takes care of his body, etc, etc; essentially, Reed is sitting out all of the unnecessary (for him) training camp/preseason stuff to get healthy to play the season.

I believe this is what accomplished vets do, so I'm not too worried about it.

At the same time, this is the same thing I said about Ahman Green. His body's a temple, yadda, yadda, yadda. What I did not expect was for his game performance to have dropped so much. I'm not expecting Ed Reed to be All-Pro form, but if he turns out to be a liability..... damn.

If Ed Reed were with the team, joking around on the sidelines, and participating in all ways that don't involve hitting, I might be inclined to agree with some of you. As it is, he's off visiting docs and showing no real signs of improvement. Hell, we got a statement the other day that he might be "just ahead of schedule", but there was no schedule established.

You people believe that this is Ed being Ed all you want. Father Time waits for no man. Reed's old, he's seriously injured, and old bodies don't heal like young bodies. It was a bad signing. Would rather have paid Glover Quin the same damn money and be sitting with Manning and Quin as starters at safety right now than be thinking about Keo or Pleasant as starters.

What a mess this is.

For some reason, I just can't shake the feeling that this
guy tried to pull a fast one and knowingly hid a serious
injury..

TJ

There's no way I'd have paid glover instead of picking up reed.

I'd rather have Swearinger learning whatever he can from Ed and Ed will play.

Agreed. I liked Glover. Seemed like a solid player back there, but not a game changer. I firmly believe that Swearinger can come up and play the run as good or better than Glover right now. Not to mention that Glover would be on the books for another 4 years while we are trying to find money for Cushing and Watt while Reed can be wiped from the books.

If you want to hire Ed Reed as a coach, do it. Hiring him as a player was a bad move.

Agreed. I liked Glover. Seemed like a solid player back there, but not a game changer. I firmly believe that Swearinger can come up and play the run as good or better than Glover right now. Not to mention that Glover would be on the books for another 4 years while we are trying to find money for Cushing and Watt while Reed can be wiped from the books.

You keep the best players. At this stage of their respective careers, Quin is better than Reed. He was marginally better than him last year and he's way better than an injured Ed Reed that never suits up. Swapping Quin for Reed did not make the football team better. I'm a fan of Swearinger, wanted him on draft day, but Manning, Quin, and Swearinger looks a helluva lot better to me than Manning, Keo, and Swearinger, with Reed sitting on IR.

I dunno, I guess I'm crazy like that.

If Ed Reed were with the team, joking around on the sidelines, and participating in all ways that don't involve hitting, I might be inclined to agree with some of you. As it is, he's off visiting docs and showing no real signs of improvement.
Hmm. I certainly saw him at training camp and he came out of the tunnel w/ Andre against the Fins. "Off visiting docs" isn't always a bad thing. I don't expect him week one and won't be worried until after week 4.

If you want to hire Ed Reed as a coach, do it. Hiring him as a player was a bad move.

You keep the best players. At this stage of their respective careers, Quin is better than Reed. He was marginally better than him last year and he's way better than an injured Ed Reed that never suits up. Swapping Quin for Reed did not make the football team better. I'm a fan of Swearinger, wanted him on draft day, but Manning, Quin, and Swearinger looks a helluva lot better to me than Manning, Keo, and Swearinger, with Reed sitting on IR.

Yeah you and your crazy ideas about keeping the best players! You loco!:kitten:

What are your thoghts on keeping money available for next year and Cushing/Watt signings? Reed can be off the books after this year. Quin would be on for another 4 years at a vets 2nd contract price.

If Ed Reed were with the team, joking around on the sidelines, and participating in all ways that don't involve hitting, I might be inclined to agree with some of you. As it is, he's off visiting docs and showing no real signs of improvement. Hell, we got a statement the other day that he might be "just ahead of schedule", but there was no schedule established.

What upsets me more than anything, is that wherever he is, I bet he's wearing purple.

You people believe that this is Ed being Ed all you want. Father Time waits for no man. Reed's old, he's seriously injured, and old bodies don't heal like young bodies. It was a bad signing. Would rather have paid Glover Quin the same damn money and be sitting with Manning and Quin as starters at safety right now than be thinking about Keo or Pleasant as starters.

6 in one hand.....

If we didn't make this move, we wouldn't have picked up Dj Swearinger & I like Reed, Manning, Swearinger, Keo, better than I like Manning, Quin, Keo, Pleasant on game day.

Yeah, if you truly believe that, you're crazy.

If it turns out that Reed doesn't play for us, then yeah, the FO should have listened to you. But where we are right now, the back half is better off the way it is now.

& I love Quin. He'll most likely be voted to the pro bowl this year, imo. But he's a different player. Quin, Manning, & Swearinger are all the same player, we needed to get away from that & add a player like Reed.

Yeah you and your crazy ideas about keeping the best players! You loco!:kitten:

What are your thoghts on keeping money available for next year and Cushing/Watt signings? Reed can be off the books after this year. Quin would be on for another 4 years at a vets 2nd contract price.

This is silly. Has nothing to do with nothing. If they wanted to keep Quin, they could have & sign Cushing & sign Watt. If they want to, they'll find a way, they always do.

They've got someone who knows how to manage the cap.

You just got done telling me that the Texans could sign Quin, Watt and Cushing if they wanted to. Then that they have someone who knows how to manage the cap when sometimes managing the cap means not signing a Glover Quin for 5 years 23 million.

I am not saying they HAD to pass on Quin to get Cushing and Watt, but that it might be a good idea when you are going after guys that are going to command alot of money. But I guess that is "silly" to you.

Back