Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

If we play it safe I think it takes us longer to get to where we want to be I like this gamble I have a feeling we overpay but not in a ridiculous sense.

If you say so. I don't claim to be a capologist. Is that number updated after yesterday's contract?

Brady's cap hit will average about $14.1M per yr going forward, and if he gets injured, the Pats eat ALL of it as every penny is guaranteed.

Haha well GP accoring to BOP we will be signing Winston, Reed and pollard haha. He says we would all be surprised at what he does. LOL although i would love to sign reed and get Winston back.

Let's say we have Reed....

....And then one more player gets introduced during the same presser.

Which player would you guys prefer it to be, of only one can be signed (and your reason why?):

Pollard?

or Winston?

Would make a good poll, actually. Something to kill time Ray Lewis style.

If reed comes here, strangely I'd feel a little better about schaub. Reed has played against him quite a few times. He also just won a sb with Flacco. I can't imagine that he'd come here knowing the qb sucked.

Doesnt mean I'll have complete faith in schaub, but it's nice to be reminded he's not completely useless I guess.

Brady's cap hit will average about $14.1M per yr going forward, and if he gets injured, the Pats eat ALL of it as every penny is guaranteed.

*pulls out calculator*

$27M divided by 3 ... carry the one ...

I hate cap calculations.

26212.strip.gif

If you say so. I don't claim to be a capologist. Is that number updated after yesterday's contract?

Yesterday? - the deal was done back in February. It also isn't close to a $27 mil deal. Those are the base salaries for the three extension years. He also received a $30 mil bonus. Link But yes, the number is updated to the new contract.

Yep. But what I'm curious about is if you have that QB that you've locked up 10% or more of your salary cap, how many more players can you afford to assign that high a cap number? I think two is even too high, but having four players chewing up 40% of your cap? That's a recipe for failure, IMO.

As a fan, I have gotten used to dead cap issues. When they signed those guys to those deals I was happy. Now that cap issues based on current players, had I known then what I've learned about the cap I would not have been as excited.

An overpay isn't a big deal as long as the contract is short, or structured so that he can be cut with no cap penalty after 2 years. Watt, Cushing, and KJax are the future of this defense, so as long as Reed's contract doesn't get in the way of signing those players to extensions then I'm not overly worried about the specific dollar amount.

This could be a move that helps us get better in the short-term, while allowing us the financial flexibility to sign the guys of the future. I'm not completely convinced of Reed's abilities, but I'd like to see us get this done.

I just know that I done watching the wild card game, the divisional game and half of the CC game, and Reed looked pretty good.
He did miss a tackle, but Pollard was supposed to cut off the outside, and he didn't.

I would say I take Reed over Quin.

Obviously, you'd like to look at the whole body of work; however, with veteran players like Reed, all that matters (to me at least) is money time... What with all the fishy things going in the NFL.

I'd rather have a one-two year deal for less than $6M per.
I might go for 3 if he insists, but not much money up front, and some incentives in the contract (like AJ).

You've got to take a risk sometimes, just don't over-extend yourself, than I would be cool with it.

I'm going to say $6.5 million-per for two years with some form of escalator, likr maybe $500k, contingent upon us making the playoffs.

Has to be a meet in the middle salary (if he wanted $7 and we wanted $6, being speculative) with a bonus $500k-per-yr for us making the playoffs and him actively playing those two years' of playoffs.

That shows him respect but gives us a $500k "out" if this thing implodes. Incentives should be reasonable, but lofty...able to be achieved.

Thoughts?

Ok they have to be cooking up something big. Why else wait this long, its not like we have much money to negotiate with anyways haha

I'm going to say $6.5 million-per for two years with some form of escalator, likr maybe $500k, contingent upon us making the playoffs.

Has to be a meet in the middle salary (if he wanted $7 and we wanted $6, being speculative) with a bonus $500k-per-yr for us making the playoffs and him actively playing those two years' of playoffs.

That shows him respect but gives us a $500k "out" if this thing implodes. Incentives should be reasonable, but lofty...able to be achieved.

Thoughts?

I'm OK with that but they must draft his replacement so by the time his deal is up the replacement is ready to play at a high level

Thoughts?
I think the Texans are known to be reasonable.
I mean, if AJ is good with the incentive clause, why shouldn't Reed?

I don't think we should over pay for him...

It would be nice to see what the board thinks is overpaying. We may not have a hard number, because I think most of us don't have a good feel for what players are worth & the intricacies of the cap.

However, I think at this point in his career, he's worth an easy $2M, but I'd be willing to go as high as $6M (that would have been the cost to franchise GQ, & he signed for $5.7M). That's overpaying, but I don't think it's unreasonable.

I think they may have felt GQ was as good as he was going to get possibly.

I don't think so. I think they are sick for having to let Quin go. They had high expectations for GQ when they drafted him & Wade recognized when he got here. GQ is going to be the kind of player we need & they know it.

But I think they also believe this team is better with Reed & Manning than it is with Quin (right now) & Manning. It would cost way too much to cut Manning right now, cost them nothing to let Quin go. It sucks & it's the product of some assumptions regarding the cap that turned out wrong for them, but if Dutch is right, we'll be right as rain soon & hopefully overpaying $4M/yr for Reed (if they get him for $6M) won't hurt that.

Sorry, I was joking around. The addition of the comic will add the necessary context. :)

Don't worry. I understand your concern; it's legit to have such a concern.

BTW, both Spotrac and OverTheCap track salaries and cap space; they have the same figure reported.

Well, there ARE some 35-year olds I'd take the time to woo...
MV5BODg3MzYwMjE4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU5NzAzNw@@._V1._SY209_CR15,0,140,209_.jpg

Referral Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODg3MzYwMjE4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU5NzAzNw@@._V1._SY209_CR15,0,140,209_.jpg" on this server.
Reference #24.467608d1.1363369793.1dd22ed8 :foottap:

I'm OK with that but they must draft his replacement so by the time his deal is up the replacement is ready to play at a high level

100% absolutely agree with your thoughts.

I think this means we can try for a future S in round 1 or 2, depending on how the picks go down leading up to our own picks. Or, try for one in next year's draft (which would be unwise, IMO). We'd need a future S...especially since Manning's contract will be up in two years from now.

I think the Texans are known to be reasonable.
I mean, if AJ is good with the incentive clause, why shouldn't Reed?

Ed Reed marches to the beat of his drummer, or at least that's the book on him by someone who stated that in this thread. THAT could be a problem convincing a guy like that to take a contract laced with any type of non-guarantee. Ed might be wanting to play some more, but he won't settle for anything less than what he or his advisors say he's worth.

That's the risky part. IMO.

I don't think so. I think they are sick for having to let Quin go. They had high expectations for GQ when they drafted him & Wade recognized when he got here. GQ is going to be the kind of player we need & they know it.

But I think they also believe this team is better with Reed & Manning than it is with Quin (right now) & Manning. It would cost way too much to cut Manning right now, cost them nothing to let Quin go. It sucks & it's the product of some assumptions regarding the cap that turned out wrong for them, but if Dutch is right, we'll be right as rain soon & hopefully overpaying $4M/yr for Reed (if they get him for $6M) won't hurt that.

I disagree with you here. If the team wanted to re-sign him then they would have made every effort. Add in Andre's comments last night that he put the bug in the team's ear after he talked to Reed after the Super Bowl, then I truly believe the Texans felt like they could get better with Reed instead of Quin. They said all the right things about Quin, but chose to pursue ER when free agency started instead of GQ.

Burn %: Quin - 48.4%, Reed 55.6%
Yds allwed rec.: Quin - 334, Reed - 457

Game changing plays Reed>Quin and I wanted to re-sign Quin.

Games missed the last 2 yrs Reed/Quin = 0. This is the most important stat to me. Both Quin and Reed were very good players last yr and will probably be very good players next yr.

Reed sure didn't look too old/slow in the playoffs/SB last yr, or the yr before, or the yr before etc...

In fact I seem to remember Reed stealing Yates lunch $$$ in the playoffs 2 yrs ago. Didn't look slow then?

There seem to be a lot of legit people on Twitter saying its done now (within the last 10 minutes).

So that probably means he's actually on a plane to New England.

I think an instinctive ballhawk like Reed thrives on our defense even if past his prime. Our defense is too talented. Especially with KJ's progression under Wade.

Whatever, guy just told me it's a done deal. Don't believe me then.

So, your source either works for the Texans in some capacity or he's a media member connected to the whole scene there.

You said he's at Reliant, he told you it's a done deal, which narrows your source's identity down to someone who has pretty fresh, quick information. And the only way is for that source to be there for more than just a coincidental visit to Reliant.

Right? I will take you ignoring and failing to post anything in response to my questions as it being a "Yes" to my questions.

:bravo: , GP, :bravo:

He probably took home his leftover steak and that often reserved skin part of the baked potato that still has some sour cream and bacon bits on it.

"Thanks for the wine & dine, Houston! You guys know how to treat people!"

Ha ha. That would be insanely epic. The U of Miami grads strikes again, keeping it classy as usual. LOL.

I really do think there's a chance he's been hosing us all along. Duane Brown and Chris Myers tweets about him having dinner last night felt awkward and a bit sarcastic to me. Ya' know? Could be nothing, but ya' never know.

He probably took home his leftover steak and that often reserved skin part of the baked potato that still has some sour cream and bacon bits on it.

"Thanks for the wine & dine, Houston! You guys know how to treat people!"

Ha ha. That would be insanely epic. The U of Miami grads strikes again, keeping it classy as usual. LOL.

I really do think there's a chance he's been hosing us all along. Duane Brown and Chris Myers tweets about him having dinner last night felt awkward and a bit sarcastic to me. Ya' know? Could be nothing, but ya' never know.

I think you're reading too much into those tweets. People were tweeting & re-tweeting that they were having dinner last night. Brown was asked why he wasn't attending the dinner, at which he responded with a "I didn't attend the U".

I think you're right. He's just sticking around for another free meal. He's unemployed now, got his hand out & all that.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Andre Johnson said today he thinks the Texans "will get a deal done" with Ed Reed. "it's all positive," he said.

Johnson: "I'm on the edge of my seat like you guys are." He met media after appearance at Health Museum.

Johnson had dinner with Reed Thursday night before parting at Pub Fiction, popular midtown club.

Johnson said Texans have never pursued FA like Reed. He said Reed can be "missing link."

Johnson said he called Reed to congratulate him on Super Bowl. "Ed said, 'Get me to Houston,'" Johnson said.

Asked bout complaints Reed too old, Johnson said, "They said that bout me. Just watch him play."

So AJ an Ed Reed did go to Pub Fiction last night. I remember someone earlier saying Reed announced he was a Texans their last night.

Back