Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Early impressions - 2022 Texans.

We sometimes forget that Watson only started 6 games his rookie year. With Mills starting 11 games his rookie year, at the same point in their careers, Mills has started more NFL games (13) than Watson (8).

With that in mind, you were off the Watson train by the middle of his 3rd year and after the loss to the Panthers. So, technically, your QB evaluation is based on starting 26 to 28 NFL games and not three full NFL seasons (48 games) or middle of three NFL seasons (40 games).
To be clear about 30-40 games depends on the players around the QB. There isn't a Foster/Hopkins/WFV around Mills. I'm wanting to see what.Mills can do after skill position players are added. So in other words after the 2023 season. Which coincides with the QB class that I like.

Last edited:
To be clear about 30-40 games depends on the players around the QB. There isn't a Foster/Hopkins/WFV around Mills. I'm wanting to see what.ills can do after skill position players are added. So in other words after the 2023 season. Which coincides with the QB class that I like.
Foster didn't play with Watson and Fuller was absent alot. Yes, he had Hopkins, but his ol was way worse.

You're right, Miller.

Point is Derrick had much better weapons to work with.

Lots of speed.
Hoyer, Mallet,and Fitzgerald had those same weapons with a better line and they still sucked. Watson had 1 weapon, 1 part time weapon, and a misused rb. His last year without Hopkins, just cooks and whomever, he threw for a bunch of yards, bunch of tds, limited to's and a defense that couldn't stop a nosebleed

Hoyer, Mallet,and Fitzgerald had those same weapons with a better line and they still sucked. Watson had 1 weapon, 1 part time weapon, and a misused rb. His last year without Hopkins, just cooks and whomever, he threw for a bunch of yards, bunch of tds, limited to's and a defense that couldn't stop a nosebleed
Ok, I'm not going to convince the Derrick apologists anything.So I'm moving on.

Derrick has a much better cast to work with than Mills has. Who on the current roster has rushed for anywhere near 1,000 yds? A misused 1,000 yd rusher?

Ok, I'm not going to convince the Derrick apologists anything.So I'm moving on.

Derrick has a much better cast to work with than Mills has. Who on the current roster has rushed for anywhere near 1,000 yds? A misused 1,000 yd rusher?

Did he? I would probably agree in 2017. But all the other years... 2018-2021? Uhhhhh... maybe at best?

To say Watson had a "much better cast" is a far stretch. Unless you think Brandin Cooks is alot worse than DHop.

Oh Boy! Another way too ******* early draft thread!

These early draft threads would be so much easier to avoid if the Texans could finally put a competitive and winning team on the field. Then we'd be discussing how to retain the talent and mock draft threads would probably happen after the season. Anyhow, until the Texans figure out their winning formula....let the early mock draft discussions flow at full strength.

These early draft threads would be so much easier to avoid if the Texans could finally put a competitive and winning team on the field. Then we'd be discussing how to retain the talent and mock draft threads would probably happen after the season. Anyhow, until the Texans figure out their winning formula....let the early mock draft discussions flow at full strength.
OR, the mock draft discussions could be kept in the proper forum instead of corrupting everything

Did he? I would probably agree in 2017. But all the other years... 2018-2021? Uhhhhh... maybe at best?

To say Watson had a "much better cast" is a far stretch. Unless you think Brandin Cooks is alot worse than DHop.
I think Cooks and a mostly healthy WFV is much better than what Mills has to throw too. Teams feared the speed at wr. Not so much now. The fear of the speed helped open up the run game. Not so much now.

Oh here we go again. Watson had by far the worst offensive line in NFL history. And you’re talking about much better weapons. Too funny
That's your opinion.

Sounds like more excuses to me.

BTW, Mills is on pace to be sacked 57 times guess what all of those sacks aren't the ol's fault, just like with Derrick. The difference is Mills isn't getting the ball out to the right people or in some cases fast enough. Derrick was running into sacks making the ol look bad. Neither one of these things are good.

That's your opinion.

Sounds like more excuses to me.

BTW, Mills is on pace to be sacked 57 times guess what all of those sacks aren't the ol's fault, just like with Derrick. The difference is Mills isn't getting the ball out to the right people or in some cases fast enough. Derrick was running into sacks making the ol look bad. Neither one of these things are good.
So you can use an excuse and everybody can’t. Gotcha

SB is never going to move off his position so get used to lame excuses. We know - The OL had 5 all-pros, the receivers were Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, the TE was Gronk, and the RB's were Jim Brown and Gale Sayers.

Meanwhile, Mills is playing with the Little Sisters of the Poor, senior division. Poor guy. He has no chance to sit back there like a statue for more than 15 seconds, while Watson ran into every one of his sacks on purpose.

What happened when Jimmy G lead his team 90 yds to a TD in less than 2 mins so the 49ers could make the playoffs and eventually a SB? Fact is the vaunted 49ers defense let the team down in the 4th qtr of the SB vs the Chiefs. The 49ers would've made another SB last yr if Tartt would've caught a lollypop ball that was thrown directly to him.
Sounds like excuses to me. Isn't that like saying if the 2020 defense didn't let the team down, the 2020 Texans could have easily gone from 4-12 to winning 4-5 more games?

Fact is if it wasn't for that vaunted 49ers defense, Jimmy G would not have even sniffed a SB. He went 6-8 for 77 yards in a NFCCG and his team scored 37 points. Name another QB who can get away with completing 6 passes in a championship game.

Jimmy G has played for arguably the greatest HC in NFL history, sat behind and learned from the greatest QB in NFL history and then gets traded to one of the best offensive minds in the NFL today. In the seasons when the 49ers made a deep playoff run, they had a top 10 defense and running game. When discussing Jimmy G, you never bring up the talent and coaching he has been fortunate to play with. It's all about Jimmy G being a winner. Do you really think the Texans would win a game with a QB completing 6 passes?

Last edited:
It's laughable the way SteelB keeps all of you spiraling down his rabbit hole. Will you never learn? There's no use trying to reason with him, he has no reasoning in him. There's no sense arguing with him, he has no common sense and will not change his mind for you. Might as well try to change sand to bourbon

It's laughable the way SteelB keeps all of you spiraling down his rabbit hole. Will you never learn? There's no use trying to reason with him, he has no reasoning in him. There's no sense arguing with him, he has no common sense and will not change his mind for you. Might as well try to change sand to bourbon
Yeah, I tend to fall for the old banana in the tailpipe. Sometimes, we have great exchanges and I can see some of his points, but when it comes to Watson, Jimmy G, Mills, its really a waste of keystrokes.

Great post. Thanks for PSA type reminder. I should have this post as a popup whenever I visit this forum.

I keep telling myself... don't respond, don't respond. But his takes are so way off base that it's just hard not too.

Helped open up the run gamemson Cooks & Fuller played together, the Texans had the 2nd fewest rushing yards in the league.
That's my point BOB turned the offense over to Derrick and while he put up great numbers they amounted to a 4 win season. Same as the 4 win season that a rookie QB put up, just as I predicted.

I'm sorry cif I hurt posters feeling but I know a loser when I see one.

I don’t think he meant it literally.
Quoted for truth, but hey, Derrick had a great season with BOB throwing the ball around the yard. Good luck Brownies with that cap killing contract. But hey, at least Derrick dot paid

I'm hoping Lovie puts a 0 blitz on his azz on his 1st game back and he leaves the game on a stretcher. Score doesn't really matter.

Sounds like excuses to me. Isn't that like saying if the 2020 defense didn't let the team down, the 2020 Texans could have easily gone from 4-12 to winning 4-5 more games?

Fact is if it wasn't for that vaunted 49ers defense, Jimmy G would not have even sniffed a SB. He went 6-8 for 77 yards in a NFCCG and his team scored 37 points. Name another QB who can get away with completing 6 passes in a championship game.

Jimmy G has played for arguably the greatest HC in NFL history, sat behind and learned from the greatest QB in NFL history and then gets traded to one of the best offensive minds in the NFL today. In the seasons when the 49ers made a deep playoff run, they had a top 10 defense and running game. When discussing Jimmy G, you never bring up the talent and coaching he has been fortunate to play with. It's all about Jimmy G being a winner. Do you really think the Texans would win a game with a QB completing 6 passes?
TldrsTldrd with out him leading his team on the 90 yrs drive, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Oh here we go again. Watson had by far the worst offensive line in NFL history. And you’re talking about much better weapons. Too funny
You will see when the Browns are the Browns are. the browns. 3rd best QB in his division.

Truth hurts

I'm not giving excuses, just giving you reality.
You are giving excuses to fit your personal vendetta/ agenda. Like I said which is a quote for the Truth. Mills is performing like crap right now. That man can’t even throw accurate to left to save his life. 1-5 going past 20 yards is freaking terrible. But typical he gets a past from you. Why because you want to use the no weapons excuse. This man is flat out missing his targets and that has nothing to do with the lack of talent. Over throwing his receivers, skipping passes and not going through his progressions is all on him.

An early impression of the 2022 Texans is they are struggling on 3rd downs and their passing game is not explosive.

Also, here is a good article from Brooks Kubena regarding the 3rd down passing:
  1. Mills has also struggled throwing beyond 10 yards toward the sideline. He’s 1-of-10 passing for 20 yards in those situations, according to Pro Football Focus​
  2. The Texans have the third-lowest third-down conversion rate in the NFL (25 percent) through two games​
  3. They’ve failed to convert on any of the 10 times they faced a third-and-long situation (7+ yards to go). Every attempt was a Mills pass​
  4. The Texans have converted 50 percent of third downs in short-yardage situations (3 yards or fewer), and Mills converted on 2-of-4 passing attempts​
  5. Mills is 8-of-19 passing for 41 yards on third downs​

12ft | Houston Texans: Breaking down Davis Mills' third-down passing problems

Man I don’t give two bleeps about Watson and the Browns. But if we don’t get our crap together the Browns and Watson will blow the Texans out of reliant stadium. And the entire league will be laughing at the Texans and praising that sellout Watson.
Which is fine with me as long as he leaves the field on a stretcher I dont care what the score is.

You are giving excuses to fit your personal vendetta/ agenda. Like I said which is a quote for the Truth. Mills is performing like crap right now. That man can’t even throw accurate to left to save his life. 1-5 going past 20 yards is freaking terrible. But typical he gets a past from you. Why because you want to use the no weapons excuse. This man is flat out missing his targets and that has nothing to do with the lack of talent. Over throwing his receivers, skipping passes and not going through his progressions is all on him.

I've been disappointed in Mills play too. But I would like to see him with multiple weapons. Right now the Texans have the worst set of skill position players in the NFL.

An early impression of the 2022 Texans is they are struggling on 3rd downs and their passing game is not explosive.

Also, here is a good article from Brooks Kubena regarding the 3rd down passing:
  1. Mills has also struggled throwing beyond 10 yards toward the sideline. He’s 1-of-10 passing for 20 yards in those situations, according to Pro Football Focus​
  2. The Texans have the third-lowest third-down conversion rate in the NFL (25 percent) through two games​
  3. They’ve failed to convert on any of the 10 times they faced a third-and-long situation (7+ yards to go). Every attempt was a Mills pass​
  4. The Texans have converted 50 percent of third downs in short-yardage situations (3 yards or fewer), and Mills converted on 2-of-4 passing attempts​
  5. Mills is 8-of-19 passing for 41 yards on third downs​

12ft | Houston Texans: Breaking down Davis Mills' third-down passing problems
Brother Earl this is horrible. You’re not going to win many games with these type of stats. Pep and Mills better figure this crap out ASAP!

I've been disappointed in Mills play too. But I would like to see him with multiple weapons. Right now the Texans have the worst set of skill position players in the NFL.
Again having weapons is not the issue here. It’s Mills and his accuracy issues. You can have all the weapons in the world. If your quarterback can’t get them the ball, then those weapons are pointless.

True, but my mind will be changed when he stops winning, which isn't likely to happen soon. I guess Ican understand being a Texan fan and not seeing what winning QB play looks like. This post isn't directed at you.

Again having weapons is not the issue here. It’s Mills and his accuracy issues. You can have all the weapons in the world. If your quarterback can’t get them the ball, then those weapons are pointless.

True and I would like to find out if accuracy would improve with better weapons. Hopefully we find this out next season.

Back