Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Early impressions - 2022 Texans.

Doesn’t matter. We have quarterbacks who were drafted in the later rounds aka Tom the G.O.A.T Brady right. Then we have the JaMarcus Russell’s busted number 2 overall pick right? It’s all about holding the players to the same standards versus using your personal feelings about a player or where they played in college to sway your opinions/judgment to that point of calling them stupid. Watson on the field talent was top notch. Mills on the field talent is meh as of right now. He looks lost and scared out there. Like I said the other day, one of my homies was at the game and he said once Denver’s crowd got into the game Mills choked up.

Did I judge Derrick harshly after 15 starts? Nope, in fact I thought I was wrong in my draft eval. I only started being critical of Derrick in yr 3. BTW, I called him stupid in the heat of the moment in a gameday thread after he made a dumb throw. Little did I know how dumb he really is. We disagree about his talent level.

Last edited:
Another thing I pointed out last season he out performed them as well. But right now he looks like he regressed big time.

Yes he has, but he's working with a bunch of backups as skill position players. I dont start being really critical of QB's in until the middle of yr 3. Growing pains are rough.

Reactions: JB
Yes he has, but he's working with a bunch of backups as skill position players. I dont start being really critical of QB's in until the middle of yr 3. Growing pains are rough.
They’re not back ups here. That’s an excuse. The way he’s missing his receivers has nothing to do with him playing with what you call back ups. He’s locking in on one freaking receiver and that was Cooks. Something you clowned another quarterback for. He’s not even trying to go through any type of progression.

Did I judge Derrick harshly after 15 starts? Nope, in fact I thought I was wrong in my draft eval. I only started being critical of Derrick in yr 3. BTW, I called him stupid in the heat of the moment in a gameday thread after he madea dumb throw. Little did I know how dumb he really is. We disagree about his talent level.
Yes you did, we had some intense heated conversation on here about Derrick. The paper trail will back me up 2000%.

Remember in college when you spent the first couple months of the semester getting drunk with buddies and chasing tail, meanwhile you skipped 8 am classes and failed miserably on the first couple tests? You eventually were hit with the realization that you'd have to somehow avg a 98 on the last two tests just to average out to a passing grade of a C. This is exactly how I feel about Mills and this offense. It will take an extraordinary amount of improvement just to get back to the baseline of what I expected out of this team this year, which wasn't much to begin with. Bottom line: we all had a guttural instinct that told us Mills wasn't the guy, and now we have the proof. Get through this season and move on - grab a QB with a pulse and one ounce of the clutch gene in him, and find a head coach who would rather lose trying than to give up and tie.

It’s not as personal as y’all make it seem. Me and Steelb went at it several times over Watson vs X QB, but at the end of the day it wasn’t about him not liking Watson. He doesn’t hold Clemson players in such high regard as most of y’all do. He wasn’t completely wrong about Watson at the end of the day.

@leebigeztx and @Texansballer74 and @steelbtexan

I am willing to wager that if the Texans draft an Ohio St. QB that steel will have similar opinions for the Ohio St. QB as he did for a Clemson QB. It may not be as severe because of the Clemson Trash perception.

I am just giving y’all advance notice so be prepared. After a while you can just expect certain things. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Everyone can have an opinion.

If I am wrong steel, please correct me.

@leebigeztx and @Texansballer74 and @steelbtexan

I am willing to wager that if the Texans draft an Ohio St. QB that steel will have similar opinions for the Ohio St. QB as he did for a Clemson QB. It may not be as severe because of the Clemson Trash perception.

I am just giving y’all advance notice so be prepared. After a while you can just expect certain things. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Everyone can have an opinion.

If I am wrong steel, please correct me.
It wasn't Clemson trash until DW4 became the most hated and that along with rumours of Hopkins teaching him and the failures of the other pics from Clemson. Ohio State Qb's are already doomed because of lack of success from them. And I don't totally disagree with the perception of OSU QB's...

And I hate that damn THE they have to state all the time, it's as bad as Miami's the U

Lovie was the lesser of several evils. No decent HC candidate was taking this job with all of the restrictions. Like you can't pick your coordinators.

Yep. I don't hold anything against Lovie. I'm rooting for him. But rooting for a guy and listening to my gut are often at odds with each other (such is the nature of being a houston pro football fan for five decades! lol)

No, the problem goes back to the fundamental flaw in the foundation of this organization: the owners.

Remember in college when you spent the first couple months of the semester getting drunk with buddies and chasing tail, meanwhile you skipped 8 am classes and failed miserably on the first couple tests? You eventually were hit with the realization that you'd have to somehow avg a 98 on the last two tests just to average out to a passing grade of a C. This is exactly how I feel about Mills and this offense.
You’re going to need to grade on a curve with this bunch. They consist of freshmen and sophomores and transfers with questionable credits. Several semesters from becoming Magna Cum Laude.

It wasn't Clemson trash until DW4 became the most hated and that along with rumours of Hopkins teaching him and the failures of the other pics from Clemson. Ohio State Qb's are already doomed because of lack of success from them. And I don't totally disagree with the perception of OSU QB's...

And I hate that damn THE they have to state all the time, it's as bad as Miami's the U
You obviously aren’t a graduate of “The University of Texas” like some of us, lol. Back in the days I even had the The decal on my pick up truck back window. Went for a long while with just an orange “THE” decal.

Last edited:
Remember in college when you spent the first couple months of the semester getting drunk with buddies and chasing tail, meanwhile you skipped 8 am classes and failed miserably on the first couple tests? You eventually were hit with the realization that you'd have to somehow avg a 98 on the last two tests just to average out to a passing grade of a C. This is exactly how I feel about Mills and this offense. It will take an extraordinary amount of improvement just to get back to the baseline of what I expected out of this team this year, which wasn't much to begin with. Bottom line: we all had a guttural instinct that told us Mills wasn't the guy, and now we have the proof. Get through this season and move on - grab a QB with a pulse and one ounce of the clutch gene in him, and find a head coach who would rather lose trying than to give up and tie.

Love this. Good post. To basically hop onto your last sentence - give me a HC who will lose trying to win, rather then one trying not to lose who wins. Football is for grown ass men, not weenies hiding under the covers afraid they might see a ghost. Lovie has been a huge disappointment so far and in multiple ways not just the 4th down call. But if his balls haven't distended by now, I don't think they are going to - so he needs to go pronto.

We need to clean house here and that includes Car Stereo. I mean the guy is such a control freak that no legit HC wants anything to do with this job. You're never getting a good young HC with NC at the helm.

He can take the preacher man with him on the way out the door. We need (for once) a real GM, a badass up and comer as HC that brings some innovation and motivation, and a new star QB that can be a play maker and not a sitting duck that looks like a deer caught in the head lights on every drop back.

Of course, thinking Cal will grab this bull by it's horns and quit being a doormat and run over by Mommie dearest is asking far too much.

Said it once, said it a million times - the tree can't grow when the roots are rotten. This train will never leave the station until the McNair's sell and have to buy a ticket like everyone else. It's starts and ends with Cal and Mama. Dumb and dumber run this team.

It’s not as personal as y’all make it seem. Me and Steelb went at it several times over Watson vs X QB, but at the end of the day it wasn’t about him not liking Watson. He doesn’t hold Clemson players in such high regard as most of y’all do. He wasn’t completely wrong about Watson at the end of the day.
Who is yall? Yes he was completely wrong about on field performance. I mean do we remember the offensive line Watson had that was never ever ranked even average? He had Hopkins, Miller, and a coach who tried to fit a square peg in a round hole vs designing the offense around such player. That's what they did in KC,Buffalo,Philly,Baltimore and any other offensive minded coach. In terms of Mills, he just needs to let it go. Let the ball fly, don't be scared to make mistakes. That's the absolute worse way to play qb in the nfl. I mean, they didn't bring any competition in for his position, which I thought was a mistake and Driskell is the backup on game days, which makes no sense. He has nothing to lose.

Quoted for truth.

I'm waiting to see weapons put around Mills before I judge him too harshly. However I will say that Mills 2 games this yr has disappointed me. In short Mills hasn't played enough football to be properly judged yet. We knew coming out of the draft he was extremely green and so far that's been the case. There have been growing pains, but guess what, with any drafted QB there will be growing pains.
Why would you draft someone with limited experience and limited physical traits at the same time. Lance has limited snaps as well, but he has huge physical traits. Thats why the moved up to get him. In my opinion, either you draft a qb who has next level traits or you don't especially if they're inexperienced. What are we really doing?

Why would you draft someone with limited experience and limited physical traits at the same time. Lance has limited snaps as well, but he has huge physical traits. Thats why the moved up to get him. In my opinion, either you draft a qb who has next level traits or you don't especially if they're inexperienced. What are we really doing?
I’m sure it was because Caserio had no 1st or 2nd round picks to work with. 3rd round QBs are normally developmental guys, unless you luck out and find that needle in the haystack. The boy was supposed to sit and lean from Tyrod, but was ultimately forced to start. Comparing The two (Mills & Watson) and their situations is not even fair. Also, I’m sure Caserio would have used a 1st on a different QB if he had it then.

So right now, after everything you’ve seen since the draft, you would still draft Lance over Mills?

Serious question. Hindsight & all.

I personally think Mills is the better of the two. I’m saying trade up to get Mills, that’s stupid I agree.

But I’d have passed on QB in the 1st & targeted Mills.

Except that is just what his boss is telling him not to do. Ball security counts more than positive results in Lovie's mind. He's turnover phobic

I agree. Especially given what the Texans saw last season on the road. No INTs against Denver was a very good sign.

imo

You had a way different experience as did I. LOL

I worked 4:00 to midnight in a grocery store stocking groceries and then half an hour to drive home. Shoved some thing to eat and was in bed after a shower by 1 but not so soon to sleep. Up at 630 no breakfast and drove have hour to junior college for first class at 7 a. Then to my car to try and snooze until second class at 9:00 a.m..

Booze? Ha. Chasing tail? If I did it was in my dreams. I do get your point.
Here is a question, if we do decide to draft a quarterback in 2023 and he is a Davis Mills, do we go after a quarterback again in 2024? At what point do we decide that it might be coaching rather than player?

They will pay the price for this attitude. By the time Lance is good enough to win a championship (if he ever is) the 49ers championship window will have passed.

I'm a build the team guy and find out if Mills is the guy over the next 2 seasons (it's not looking good) add talent to the roster then go get your QB if Mills isn't the guy. Just my philosophy and the Texans have the picks to go get their guy in 2024.

there. Like I said the other day, one of my homies was at the game and he said once Denver’s crowd got into the game Mills choked up.
That crowd was very mellow. I was there too. Pretty sure the crowd didn’t mess him up any. I think Mills just had a bad day.

Reactions: JB
I thought Davis Mills was going to be the first quarterback drafted if he had came out in 2022?

They will pay the price for this attitude. By the time Lance is good enough to win a championship (if he ever is) the 49ers championship window will have passed.

I'm a build the team guy and find out if Mills is the guy over the next 2 seasons (it's not looking good) add talent to the roster then go get your QB if Mills isn't the guy. Just my philosophy and the Texans have the picks to go get their guy in 2024.

They sure could use those picks they gave up for Lance to help the team they have get over the hump.

You can't 401k your way to wealth, period. They, 49ers wanted someone who wasn't as limited on the field. They gambled and so far, they look wrong. Look at Titans and Colts who have ready made teams but couldn't get over the hump with marginal qbs. Thats not going to work in the afc and the arms they have. People talk about them missing on Lance, look at them missing on Solomon Thomas when both Mahomes and Watson were on the board. When you miss high, it doesn't matter. Even if you miss with a qb, they're not cap killers like they did before the rookie wage scale.

You can't 401k your way to wealth, period. They, 49ers wanted someone who wasn't as limited on the field. They gambled and so far, they look wrong. Look at Titans and Colts who have ready made teams but couldn't get over the hump with marginal qbs. Thats not going to work in the afc and the arms they have. People talk about them missing on Lance, look at them missing on Solomon Thomas when both Mahomes and Watson were on the board. When you miss high, it doesn't matter. Even if you miss with a qb, they're not cap killers like they did before the rookie wage scale.

Making aNFCCG/SB isn't 401k'ing your way to wealth. It's wealth in itself.

So when Rogers keep making nfc championship games but losing, you bring up the qb %, but when Jimmy G does it, its an accomplishment? What happened, game on the line, 2 to's and Jimmy H has the ball vs Rams

What happened when Jimmy G lead his team 90 yds to a TD in less than 2 mins so the 49ers could make the playoffs and eventually a SB? Fact is the vaunted 49ers defense let the team down in the 4th qtr of the SB vs the Chiefs. The 49ers would've made another SB last yr if Tartt would've caught a lollypop ball that was thrown directly to him.

I've never heard anyone from Texas stress THE like all OSU graduates do unless they are mocking OSU

you don’t have a clue what UT and Austin was like in the mid seventies. Just go and listen to the Austin City Limits performances then. The whole place was mystical. LOL I still hear people thinking the show was filmed outdoors because of the backdrop. **** I’d wait for hours in line to get a ticket for Merle Haggard performing in Studio 6 A in the Communications Bldg on the campus of THE. later that eve Soap Creek Saloon, Broken Spoke, Texas Chili Parlor, Stubbs BBQ, Maggie May’s, Liberty Lunch, on and on. Then the drives in the hills looking down at the city at night with accoutrements that only Thorn would love.

None of your latest post addresses my comment at all. Didn't mean to upset you old timer. I am very familiar with Austin and 6th street and the surrounding hill country

What happened when Jimmy G lead his team 90 yds to a TD in less than 2 mins so the 49ers could make the playoffs and eventually a SB? Fact is the vaunted 49ers defense let the team down in the 4th qtr of the SB vs the Chiefs. The 49ers would've made another SB last yr if Tartt would've caught a lollypop ball that was thrown directly to him.
4 tds 6 ints, 60% and 137 ypg and you say the defense let him down. That team wins despite Jimmy, not because of Jimmy. I mean in todays NFL, who doesn't have a 2:1 td to int ratio? Oh, Jimmy G. C'mon man. I guess I need to get used to it because he's going to be the qb in Houston next year.

4 tds 6 ints, 60% and 137 ypg and you say the defense let him down. That team wins despite Jimmy, not because of Jimmy. I mean in todays NFL, who doesn't have a 2:1 td to int ratio? Oh, Jimmy G. C'mon man. I guess I need to get used to it because he's going to be the qb in Houston next year.
You're determined to fall down the rabbit hole

Yep get used to winning.

Who did you tell that to? I don't remember that post unless you told your homies. Even if you did, it doesn't surprise anyone because you think he's a subpar/average qb. I don't see Buffalo trading away Diggs who had the most targets and recepts the 1st year in buffalo. I don't see them trotting out rbs nobody else wants either. Buffalo from a organization is 10 times better than Houston. Allen has had luxuries. What they do after losing to KC because the defense couldn't get off the field? The sign Von Miller. The texans rewarded Merci with a new contract even though he was washed. Theyve continued to draft dynamic dual threat running backs. There is no comparison of between the 2 even before we knew about the off the field bs. Of course you know this but won't admit it, but carry on.
They were 2 equal teams before that playoff game. One org had leadership at the top. The other had BOB/Pervert.

Brother I can’t believe how terrible that line looks right now.

It makes me think they have to rebuild from C to RT in the next draft. I'd have to trust that at some point Tunsil and Green will gel on the left side, but I'd like to add the following players via the draft in 2023: RT- Darnell Wright (Tennessee / 6-6 @ 325 lbs), C- Ricky Stromberg (Arkansas / 6-4 @ 320 lbs), RG- Sataoa Laumea (Utah / 6-4 @ 310 lbs), and TE- Darnell Washington (Georgia / 6-7 @ 270 lbs).

What does this group have in common? They're big strong guys who play their positions with a nasty but controlled demeanor. TE, Washington not only blocks but he's an effective receiver that's hard to bring down as a runner. Again, these players should be within reach for the Texans projected picks.....at the moment.

Last edited:
It makes me think they have to rebuild from C to RT in the next draft. I'd have to trust that at some point Tunsil and Green will gel on the left side, but I'd like to add the following players via the draft in 2023: RT- Darnell Wright (Tennessee / 6-6 @ 325 lbs), C- Ricky Stromberg (Arkansas / 6-4 @ 320 lbs), RG- Sataoa Laumea (Utah / 6-4 @ 310 lbs), and TE- Darnell Washington (Georgia / 6-7 @ 270 lbs).

What does this group have in common? They're big strong guys who play their positions with a nasty but controlled demeanor. TE, Washington not only blocks but he's an effective receiver that's hard to bring down as a runner. Again, these players should be within reach for the Texans projected picks.....at the moment.
Add a vet wr to go with these guys and the offense would look a lot better.

I would probably just stick with Cann for another year and draft an og in rd 3-4.

The early impression of the 2022 Texans:
1. Similar to the BOB seasons, the offense continues to start slow
2. In two games, Mills has completed one pass over 20 yards. He is 1-5.
3. Cooks has as many targets (22) as all the other WRs combined: Nico (12), Moore (7), Conley (2), Dorsett (1)
4. Cooks has as many receptions (11) as all the other WRs combined: Nico (6), Moore (5), Conley (0), Dorsett (0)
5. Excluding Cooks, Burkhead has more catches (7) than any other WR or TE
6. Similar to the BOB seasons, the OL continues to be a problem
7. Unlike the BOB offense, the center now makes the OL and protection calls. The game should be easier for the Stanford graduate
8. I've been pleasantly surprised by the DBs
9. The run defense is weak and a concern

The defense is the only reason the Texans have been competitive in both games. I'm still willing to give Mills more time. However, I have concerns. Even though he doesn't have to make the OL and protection calls and the game should be easier, it seems he has regressed or over thinking or trying too hard not to make mistakes.

Last edited:
We sometimes forget that Watson only started 6 games his rookie year. With Mills starting 11 games his rookie year, at the same point in their careers, Mills has started more NFL games (13) than Watson (8).

With that in mind, you were off the Watson train by the middle of his 3rd year and after the loss to the Panthers. So, technically, your QB evaluation is based on starting 26 to 28 NFL games and not three full NFL seasons (48 games) or middle of three NFL seasons (40 games).

Last edited:
Back