Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

The more I think about it, the happier I am with this draft pick. Brown is super athletic and super intelligent. He played tight end and had the highest GPA on his team. Gibbs knows that he can mold Brown into the LT that our zone blocking system needs. Im glad the Texans have finally filled that big hole at left tackle.

after 2 years of nothing but solid picks from this regime, i cant believe people would be upset about one of their draft picks before they even get to camp. un-freaking believable. just go back and look at some of the post's from the last 2 years after the draft and see how stupid some of those coments were.
you might wanna think twice before critizing the guys who have put together a couple of drafts that rival anyones in the league.

Add to that, OL isn't a "sexy" pick like a RB or CB (two positions of need you could say, and players were available at 18). Oh well. Move along. Hope Brown can become a stud.

The more I think about it, the happier I am with this draft pick. Brown is super athletic and super intelligent. He played tight end and had the highest GPA on his team. Gibbs knows that he can mold Brown into the LT that our zone blocking system needs. Im glad the Texans have finally filled that big hole at left tackle.

I like the trade/pick alot, but I'm still glad to see the comment on his GPA. Throughout this entire thread, just about the only comment that bothered me a little bit was one questioning his intellect. I will also admit the the Va-Tech NFL track record isn't one I admire when it comes to character (I have a very good friend who's a Falcon fan and I've heard his viewpoint numerous times in the last several months).

Welcome to the Texans Mr. Brown - here's wishing you a long and successful career!

Add to that, OL isn't a "sexy" pick like a RB or CB (two positions of need you could say, and players were available at 18). Oh well. Move along. Hope Brown can become a stud.

Well one thing was for cetain, Mr. McNair couldn't keep going through QB contracts like M-n-Ms. they had to do something. And when ever they pulled the trigger on one...it was going to hurt. Either we tanked a season to get with in range for an elite guy...package picks to move up, or this. Look on the bright side I have to shut up about the OLT slot for a couple of years. I knew there'd be a run on tackles...but nothing like this though. There is no gaurentee he would of been there at the 79. None what so ever. By my count there are still six teams looking for them. And the pickens are getting prety slim. The only reach here is people believing Eric or Pitts was going to kick out there in pinch. Butler ?

Well one thing was for cetain, Mr. McNair couldn't keep going through QB contracts like M-n-Ms. they had to do something. And when ever they pulled the trigger on one...it was going to hurt. Either we tanked a season to get with in range for an elite guy...package picks to move up, or this. Look on the bright side I have to shut up about the OLT slot for a couple of years. I knew there'd be a run on tackles...but nothing like this though. There is no gaurentee he would of been there at the 79. None what so ever. By my count there are still six teams looking for them. And the pickens are getting prety slim. The only reach here is people believing Eric or Pitts was going to kick out there in pinch. Butler ?

thanks for putting me in your sig...
...but don't be like the media and just use a "soundbite" ... remember that statement was in reference to the #18 pick.

you wear it well. Well the moral of this little story is they did take one in the first. And....he was their target all along...I don't have to chage squat....you threw it up there.

yeah but mario williams brings us sacks, tackles, fumbles, possibly an interception

What does a lineman bring? a pancake?

I refuse to believe that anyone who watched the Texans over the last six years could ask what a lineman brings to a football team.

you wear it well. Well the moral of this little story is they did take one in the first. And....he was their target all along...I don't have to chage squat....you threw it up there.

I'm just glad you think I'm worthy of quoting.
:D

and at the risk of repeating myself'
- We got the OT that our new OL coach targeted
- We get to pay him #26 money instead of #18 money
- We got two extra picks in the process

It ain't the "sexy" Mendenhall pick that some of us were thinking might happen at #18 but there's no downside that I can see.
...quote away

I know that I've flipped flopped, and right now, I think that if this was their guy from the get-go, and they get extra picks and him, then it should be a plus.

Finally Houston draft an OL in the 1st. Whilst I'm not overly sure about this guy, I think it will be a solid pick - he definitely looks like an NFL LT to me. Quite athletic.

I haven't been contributing much to the boards lately but I couldn't help myself at this time. I am one of those people who has been harping, and even angry that OLT hadn't really been addressed in any draft since that first year with the Boselli/Young debacle. I have voiced the opinion that a position as important to the safety and development of young QB's as the OLT spot is should not be relagated to late round picks and 6 FA's named Joe. Today, I waited with baited breath for our pick at #18. I just knew that one of the premier OT's that I had heard so much about would fall to us. I was really pissed when we traded out of Otah and only got a third and a sixth round pick for once again missing out on a sure OLT starter. I have always believed and still do to some extent that there are backfield busts and injured retirees whose carreers might have been saved and extended with a truely good OL. I was livid. I have gone through several hours of wondering if Smith/Kubiak have a clue. So I am not thrilled with who we wound up with. BUT!!!! we did finally address that first round OLT that I have been whining about. I will wait and see, and hope he works out. About the part where he was the guy actually targetted by Gibbs... I think that is the kind of BS coaches say when they wind up with the guy they got.... even if he truely wasn't the first choice. But at least he is an OT. I pray he is the guy that saves Shaub's backside and allows him to be the QB we have wanted. I hope my anxiety is unfounded. I hope.

For pure comedic value, this thread rocks.

Put me down right now as someone who supports this pick. So there.
tongue.gif

When this pick was turned in my first thought was "who'?, Huh?, what?.

After reading the posts on Brown's bio he sounds like a legitimate good pick for the Texans. Couple that with extra picks. Whats not to like? He seems to fit the mold for ZBS with lots of upside.

All picks have risks, this guy seems to have the potential to be a much needed addition. Glad to see the Texans finally go OT.

As time goes by, this could very well be a positive turning point for the Texans.

couldn't sleep, restless night thinking about this draft who the Texans add today should be a lot more exciting from a Texans fans viewpoint after having only the one pick yesterday :headhurts:

anyways yanked out ourlads draft guide (noticed everyone seemed to have a copy @ the draft tables) & looked up Duane Browns rating 7.07 sorry to say that does project to a late 2nd rd. grade. if the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick I think they would have been able to wait til then but he was an ascending prospect & tackle position along with DE has become the flavour of this draft.

last year for instance the Texans used a late 5th rd. pick #163 on a LT from the same school named Brandon Frye. he too was an ascending prospect with exceptional speed, athletic, tough & agile given a draft grade of 6.89. the only difference, he was a former DE instead of a TE. I just don't see the huge gap between picks on paper, either the Texans got a steal in last years draft, or they got fleeced this year, just hope the former is true :gun:

Texans made this move to gain more picks (late 3rd & early 6th) but was it enough? the Eagles picking just one spot behind us @ #19 traded their pick (Carolina wanted OT Jeff Otah) giving them 2nd & 4th round picks this year, plus next year’s first-round pick

At first when hearing about this pick I have to say I didn't want to comment too much as I did not know much about this guy, but I pulled out a few game tapes of VT that I had around and watched this guy, I am very pleased with this pick.

The guy is athletic with very quick feet, and the one thing that impresses me so much is how he gets up to that second level, a lot of the plays I have seen you see him handle his guy in the trench then get straight up to that second level and seal off the hole.

We have needed to get a first round caliber lineman for 6 years now and we finally have it, I am never going to second guess our front office with the great job they have done of recent. Good job I am pleased.

couldn't sleep, restless night thinking about this draft who the Texans add today should be a lot more exciting from a Texans fans viewpoint after having only the one pick yesterday :headhurts:

anyways yanked out ourlads draft guide (noticed everyone seemed to have a copy @ the draft tables) & looked up Duane Browns rating 7.07 sorry to say that does project to a late 2nd rd. grade. if the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick I think they would have been able to wait til then but he was an ascending prospect & tackle position along with DE has become the flavour of this draft.

last year for instance the Texans used a late 5th rd. pick #163 on a LT from the same school named Brandon Frye. he too was an ascending prospect with exceptional speed, athletic, tough & agile given a draft grade of 6.89. the only difference, he was a former DE instead of a TE. I just don't see the huge gap between picks on paper, either the Texans got a steal in last years draft, or they got fleeced this year, just hope the former is true :gun:

well if a draft magazine says it :rolleyes:

i truly believe if we had a 2nd rd pick, we'd have taken him @#26 still. they had a possible trade down option that they didnt take because they were afraid somebody would steal him from us.

from the sounds of kubiak and co. they liked this guy alot more than the draft writers and believed others did too. heck they were reluctanct to trade down to #26 even. thank god they did because i couldn't take the crap they would've taken from everyone for taking him at #18 over rashard and jenkins..

LOL @ fans. We need oline. You build from the trenches out. We need oline. We need oline. We need oline!

WHAT WE DRAFTED OLINE ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!!!! LOL:fans:

Either Kubiak and co are great actors or they truly targeted this guy from the get go and he isn't a compromise with what was available.

I'm excited.

Well, I’m off to bed, nearly 1am here, looking forward to seeing who we got in the 3rd when I wake up.

I wish we could have traded down again, but this is not a bad pick. The Texans need Oline help, and they got it. Not a dynomite pick by any means, but soild.

From ESPN chat predraft:

Scoot (Syracuse): Duane, why should you get drafted?

Duane Brown: First of all, I think my work ethic and desire are my best attributes. I work hard all day, every day. I have great athleticism for my position. I think I can bring that to the team, being able to stretch guys. I'm also a good teammate, I try to motivate guys and not cause trouble in the locker room.

Howie (Los Angeles): What was your favorite moment from college?

Duane Brown: I'd have to say my first start at right tackle, going against Mario Williams. I'd only been in the position for a couple weeks and was anxious to see where I stood. I held my own and got the ball rolling out there.

Just go look at his combine and game clips on the Texans web site. THe kid can flat out move. Absolutely gorgeous kick sliding.

Mike Mayock (NFLN) is an *****. He said Houston should have waited until the 2nd round to pick up Brown. This boy is like the rest, jackin his jaw without engaging his brain.

I don't know why it matter where he was projected then, because in the end he was moving up draft boards. If we weren't going to make the "reach" in the 1st round, another team would have.

Our big three wanted him, they had a chance to move back some more with a trade from Seattle(I don't know what pick, but heard of an extra 4th), but felt dangered of losing Duane Brown in the process

I don't know why it matter where he was projected then, because in the end he was moving up draft boards. If we weren't going to make the "reach" in the 1st round, another team would have.

Our big three wanted him, they had a chance to move back some more with a trade from Seattle(I don't know what pick, but heard of an extra 4th), but felt dangered of losing Duane Brown in the process

here is anaology:

first day as it happened - disbelief idonno: latter as the trade down & selection settles in take the company line :logo: the morning after :headhurts: & the realization who just slept with your best friends wife :hide: you just have to say no even if the desire/need is great the consequences outweigh the risk :bat:

seriously Duane Brown was never on our radar because we didn't have a 2nd rd. pick. should have been nervous I guess as soon as the Texans traded down. I can actually see the difference between Frye & Brown one is a mauler (Frye) the other is finesse (Brown). I wonder if Frye doesn't get a shot @ RT move Winston inside to RG next to Meyers with Pitts the only remaining linemen staying put. in this scenero that would answear my questions about the future & this pick. but as for now all we (draft geeks) have at our disposel are opinions, draft guides, draft sites & expert analysts feedback.

I found this good analysis on Brown...

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report
Few players increased their value more than Duane Brown at the Combine. In a couple of days Brown pretty much went from a mid-round selection to a possible second round pick. He is still a little raw since he moved to offensive tackle from tight end just three years ago, but he quickly proved at Virginia Tech that he is a formidable lineman. During his senior season he started to improve his form and that swiftly turned into much better production.

The buzz started during Senior Week when Brown had a good showing at the East-West Shrine game. The buzz grew fast at the Combine when Brown ranked among the leaders in the 40-yard dash, vertical jump, 3-cone drill and 20-yard shuffle for offensive tackles. Brown will still need some work on his technique and to get a little stronger at the point of attack, but once that is taken care of many expect that he can be a great lineman for years to come. He will be just as quick as most ends and you cannot teach that speed or athleticism.

The second round might be a bit of a stretch, but he will be in the top ten offensive tackles on a lot of draft boards and just about everybody wants a tackle sooner or later (that could push him into the late second round). If he falls much further than that, he will be a steal as long as he can fine tune his technique and eventually live up to his Combine numbers

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1522

WEAK.

Does not matter where in the first round. There are plenty of studs (or guys who can ignite a fanbase from the start like I said) going all over the place in the first round.

You guys gotta be kidding me!!!!!!!

See the bolded is the problem, You guys want someone to get happy about whereas Kubes & company are trying to build a contender; you do that from the line out. I personally didn't even know who the guy was but with Gibbs on board & his track record, plus the nasty streak that this kid looks like he has, I think we'll finally see an offensive line we can be comfortable with for years.

Threetoedpete must be ecstatic that we took an Offensive lineman in the 1st, reach or not. what's his favorite line every time the texans don't get help on the O-line: " I can take it as long as you guys can.."

29. SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS (f/IND)
DUANE BROWN OT | Virginia Tech | Scouting Report
My surprise pick of round one. The Niners have a ton of needs but they are going to be looking for an offensive lineman very early and I've been told that Brown is a strong possibility for them, either here or at #39. If they don't grab him in round one I don't think he'd make it to their next pick and they probably realize that too, which is why they pull the trigger here. A former tight end, Brown is a fantastic athlete with experience at both left and right tackle and in the last month before the draft he has been flying up draft boards all around the league. I am out on a limb with this one...
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft2.html
FWIW: maybe this is why Smith-Kubiak moved at 26 with the 49ers sitting a
couple notchs back at 29 ? And nfldraftcountdown is a Draft site with some cred.

What did he say? Please, someone help.

1. Anna Megan Riley first asks if he's surprised about being picked in the first round. He says not really, he knew it would be a possibility. He said some teams had him rated among the top 5 tackles. He's honored to selected in the first round.

2. She asks if there will be any difficulty he sees to adjusting to the LT in the NFL after only one year of LT experience in college. He says he doesn't think so, he's very committed and he thinks this is the perfect scheme for him and brings out his athleticism.

3. Shes asks about Eprhaim Salaam but he doesn't know much about him.

4. How will being reunited with Brandon Frye (former VT teammate) help? He says he will be able to help by helping him with the down times and hard times, having someone to talk to who's been through the rookie campaign.

5. She asks if there's something specific that he'll be working on. He says his hand usage is something that he really needs to work on, along with run blocking and rolling with his hips and being more explosive with his hips.

1. Anna Megan Riley first asks if he's surprised about being picked in the first round. He says not really, he knew it would be a possibility. He said some teams had him rated among the top 5 tackles. He's honored to selected in the first round.

2. She asks if there will be any difficulty he sees to adjusting to the LT in the NFL after only one year of LT experience in college. He says he doesn't think so, he's very committed and he thinks this is the perfect scheme for him and brings out his athleticism.

3. Shes asks about Eprhaim Salaam but he doesn't know much about him.

4. How will being reunited with Brandon Frye (former VT teammate) help? He says he will be able to help by helping him with the down times and hard times, having someone to talk to who's been through the rookie campaign.

5. She asks if there's something specific that he'll be working on. He says his hand usage is something that he really needs to work on, along with run blocking and rolling with his hips and being more explosive with his hips.
THANK YOU! Would rep but have to spread.

No problem man. He seems like a down to earth type of guy from what I could tell from the interview.
He really does but he also has the look of a fellow who has a learning disability. I'm sure I'm wrong but that's what I saw out of the interview.

Thanks Pencil. Also have to spread so couldn't rep you.

I hope he has a sense of humor. And I hope Salaam stays here as long as possible along with Pitts that way we can have a comedy trio!

i hate this. I want to cry. Pathetic. Pathetic. An utter failure. No. Damnit NO.

Now this is a perfect example of why I say we have some of the most pitiful fans in the NFL..lol. This guy has to be one of the people that was against the Mario pick...lol I guess football was gone away from Houston for so long that the fans forgot how to be real fans...man back that pick up. :aggressive:

Back