Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Leahmic223

Veteran
I am going to give the guy time before I judge the pick any how.

So I really had no reactoin. The only time I get disappointed in a pick is if we draft a position we don't need. We needed a LT, we got one, and who knows he might ancor this spot a long time from now.

I will say this...a lot of people dissed the Mario Williams pick and looked how that worked out.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
Wow. Help me understand what you are trying to say here. We use our first rounder on a fourth round pick?
I was being slightly sarcastic.

I respect Harris' opinion, but I think he's the only guy who I've seen who has said Duane Brown was a 4th rounder. Somebody posted a link that showed he was a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. Other's called him a sleeper pick. I respect their opinion as well.

I don't really give a damn what all the media thinks about our pick though. I like the pick. Was he a reach? Depends on who you ask. But he's a Texan now so that's all that really matters.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Wow. Help me understand what you are trying to say here. We use our first rounder on a fourth round pick?
Dude. It was like a joke.

But seriously, some guy thought he was a 4th round talent. So what. Several of the guys that went today were considered 3rd/4th round talen by many of the experts.

This is the guy that Kubiak and Gibbs wanted. What if we had waited to the third and he was gone? We don't know where he was placed on other teams' boards.

TEXANRED

Texan-American
:elle:

We got a 1st, a 3rd, and a 6th for trading back :P.

We got the same value that everyone else got. Complaining about what we got for trading back is just whining...we could not have gotten more.
Its not whinning when its a crap pick. And this is a crap pick. He won't even be a starter when the season begins. We passed on Mendenhall and Jenkins and either of them would have have been an immediate impact. Now we have yet another developmental player that just needs "time" to adapt to the system.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
This comment bothers me on his scouting report...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/duane-brown?id=808
But from that same report:

Compares To: JASON PETERS-Buffalo...Some might be scared off by the negatives in Brown's scouting report. But Brown has the same qualities as an athlete that Peters showed coming out of college. Both are former tight ends with minimal playing time at offensive tackle. The only thing that worries scouts about Brown is his learning ability, which could be an issue at the pro level. A coach that will both light his fire but bring him along slowly while revamping his technique might find gold with Brown. Buffalo more than got by taking that approach with Peters.
Sounds like he was made for Alex Gibbs.

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
Its not whinning when its a crap pick. And this is a crap pick. He won't even be a starter when the season begins. We passed on Mendenhall and Jenkins and either of them would have have been an immediate impact. Now we have yet another developmental player that just needs "time" to adapt to the system.
yup, that's how the draft works.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
And we all know what makes a first round pick is that he has to start from day one right.

It doesn't bother me if he needs time to develop, because if the Texans think he'll develop as well as he does, then it's a damn good pick.

kbourda

Veteran
Statistically speaking, OLmen are usually the safest pick in the first round. I'll remain hopeful regarding the pick.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Hell, we could have had Chris Johnson, who is pretty damn good. Would have loved Mendenhall or Jenkins at 18.

Leahmic223

Veteran
And we all know what makes a first round pick is that he has to start from day one right.

It doesn't bother me if he needs time to develop, because if the Texans think he'll develop as well as he does, then it's a damn good pick.
Exactly.

Everyone talked and trashed Mario his first year. Now we see he has been getting better. It is rare that guys just jump in the league and blow it up like Joe Thomas, Peterson, DeMeco, P-Willis.

Can't expect it out of everyone, I think the kid will do just fine. We need a LT to hold down that spot, I am happy we got one.

TEXANRED

Texan-American

If your team is making the playoffs, winning divisions, or winning championships, no.

If your best season is 8-8 and you have finished last 5 out of 6 seasons, then yes, our 1st round pick should be able to make an instant impact.

******disclaimer******** QB's excluded from that statement.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
They have to say those things......

lol.. you make it sound like somebody made the pick for them and they were just sent out to defend it

lets look at the evidence:
-they speak about him more glowingly than either mario or amobi imo
-they 'reach' to take him in the late 1st rd
-they're so worried about not getting him they wont even move down 2 spots in case somebody takes him

you right, they dont really like him that much

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
If your team is making the playoffs, winning divisions, or winning championships, no.

If your best season is 8-8 and you have finished last 5 out of 6 seasons, then yes, our 1st round pick should be able to make an instant impact.
I would have to disagree with this. I don't expect the Texans to draft a player who will start from day one just because we've finished 8-8 and last in our division 5 out of 6 years. Would it be nice to have a corner or RB who would start immediately and do well? Absolutely. But if the Texans think that Duane Brown will in time be a better LT than Jenkins will be a CB, even if Jenkins would immediately start and Brown won't then you have to draft Duane.

In all fairness to Brown, Spencer wasn't expected to win the starting job so early his rookie season. I would like to see him compete in camp, but it will be interesting if he lines up across from Groves of Jacksonville now. I seriously have doubts about how quickly Brown will pick up our system. He struggled when facing complex defenses, and the NFL does not feature "cake" systems. I think he will have to be eased into a role, and we should completely expect Salam to start the season at LT. Hopefully, this allows us to put Spencer at RG where I've been screaming for him to play since he was a prospect.

J-Russ

Veteran
First off, he was drafted by Rick Smith. Second, we have the best o-line coach here. 3rd, Kubiak knows offense. All three guys have an eye for talent.Therefore....

Kubiak/Smith/Gibbs >>>> everyone here.

J-Russ

Veteran
Oh btw, I bet SWT have never ever seen him play before. Not saying I have, but of course the people who drafted him had.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
They like him for the people he has played against and being successful in doing so. He also apparently has nice athletic ability. Hey if he produces I am all for the pick.

Leahmic223

Veteran
They like him for the people he has played against and being successful in doing so. He also apparently has nice athletic ability. Hey if he produces I am all for the pick.
Yeah Kubes mentioned he played against Chris Long, does any one know how he did? I think if he did well against Long, a guy that has no quit and is a hell of a DE prospect, then he probably will be a good LT for us.

J-Russ

Veteran
Strengths:

Good size and bulk with long arms...Excellent athleticism...Light on his feet...Very quick and moves well....Has terrific balance and agility...Able to get to the second level...Does a nice job in pass pro...Offers some versatility...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:

Is not real strong or physical...May be a bit of a 'tweener...Plays too tall and does not bend his knees well...Raw and not a great technician...Isn't stout at the point of attack...Gets a marginal push..Lacks a killer instinct...Not a fit for every scheme.

Notes:

Began his Hokie career at tight end...Played right and left tackle during his college career and could also project inside to guard at the pro level..Finesse type whose best fit will likely come in a zone blocking scheme...Developmental prospect and a Workout Warrior with some very intriguing physical tools...Similar to Brandon Frye.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/duanebrown.html

Not trying to bash or be a buzz-kill, but he gave up 8.5 sacks in a system that was not a pass oriented system.

I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it. We will see how this all turns out. I am hoping for the best. Would have liked Mike Jenkins in the back. He was not a reach at 18. The dropoff in CB's is pretty big, too (especially when you don't even have a second).
So a franchise best record does not ignite the fan base? Winning is the goal here. If we wanted to "ignite the fan base" they would have taken VY or Reggie. Obviously, we are trying to build a complete team, not a Fantasy Football one.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
they had 8 OT's going in the 1st? i missed that
Almost.
We picked the number 7 OT.
Jake Long - #1 - Dolphins
Ryan Clady - #12 - Broncos
Chris Williams - #14 - Bears
Brandon Albert - #15 - Chiefs (I'm not counting him)
Gosder Cherilus - #17 - Lions
Jeff Otah - #19 - Steelers
Sam Baker - #21 - Falcons
Duane Brown - #28 - Texans

im sick of fans thinking they know more than the coaches.. SWT and others haven't even seen the guy play and hes saying its a bad pick. thats retarded.

reggie had the hype.. we took mario
winston had the hype at #33.. we took demeco ryans

etc

hype means sh1t when it comes to the draft
Excellent points. If Gibbs handpicked the guy, he must have something on the ball.

For about five years now I've been begging for the Texans to take a LT in the first round. It may have been a reach and by no means a sexy pick, but I'll take an o-line anchor in the first round...about time they finally came around to it.

It will be interesting to see him start for the Texans. I expect Salaam to be working with him throughout training camps and bringing him up to speed. As much as the talk is of him as a project, I don't think he'll ride the pine.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
So a franchise best record does not ignite the fan base? Winning is the goal here. If we wanted to "ignite the fan base" they would have taken VY or Reggie. Obviously, we are trying to build a complete team, not a Fantasy Football one.
Mario Williams ignited the fanbase. That was a good pick from the beginning. He was on the radar. A guy like Brown is going to take time to build up and the Texas MUST be successful.

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
btw, if this was really Gibbs' guy, then they probably zeroed in on him. now would you rather have them take him at 18 or try and move down and get some picks AND get the guy they want. to Gibbs, Smith, etc, they just pulled a helluva deal.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Quote:
Strengths:

Good size and bulk with long arms...Excellent athleticism...Light on his feet...Very quick and moves well....Has terrific balance and agility...Able to get to the second level...Does a nice job in pass pro...Offers some versatility...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:

Is not real strong or physical...May be a bit of a 'tweener...Plays too tall and does not bend his knees well...Raw and not a great technician...Isn't stout at the point of attack...Gets a marginal push..Lacks a killer instinct...Not a fit for every scheme.

Notes:

Began his Hokie career at tight end...Played right and left tackle during his college career and could also project inside to guard at the pro level..Finesse type whose best fit will likely come in a zone blocking scheme...Developmental prospect and a Workout Warrior with some very intriguing physical tools...Similar to Brandon Frye.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/duanebrown.html
There's your answer to why he was picked right there!
'Nuff said!

I hope this was not already posted but I have read so much my damn eyes are starting to cross!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/5535.html

BIOGRAPHY: Former tight end who moved to offensive tackle as a sophomore then started the next three seasons. All-Conference selection after his junior and senior campaigns. Used on both the left and right side.

POSITIVES: Athletic college tackle who's at his best in confined quarters. Blocks with a wide base, shows good knee-bend, and effective with his hands. Jolts opponents with a violent hand-punch, stays square, and seals the edge with good body positioning. Gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers. Patient in pass protection, can adjust to opponents, and keeps his feet moving. Does enough to ride defenders from their angle of attack.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top lateral blocking range. At times lazy with his hands.

ANALYSIS: Brown is a well-built blocker who has displayed a variety of skills the past three years. He offers potential in a zone blocking scheme, yet he could also thrive in a power-running offense when he physically matures.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I hope this was not already posted but I have read so much my damn eyes are starting to cross!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/5535.html

BIOGRAPHY: Former tight end who moved to offensive tackle as a sophomore then started the next three seasons. All-Conference selection after his junior and senior campaigns. Used on both the left and right side.

POSITIVES: Athletic college tackle who's at his best in confined quarters. Blocks with a wide base, shows good knee-bend, and effective with his hands. Jolts opponents with a violent hand-punch, stays square, and seals the edge with good body positioning. Gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers. Patient in pass protection, can adjust to opponents, and keeps his feet moving. Does enough to ride defenders from their angle of attack.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top lateral blocking range. At times lazy with his hands.

ANALYSIS: Brown is a well-built blocker who has displayed a variety of skills the past three years. He offers potential in a zone blocking scheme, yet he could also thrive in a power-running offense when he physically matures.
his slide step is excellent which flies in the face of lacking lateral range, cause thats excatly what a slide step accomplishes is lateral recovery range.

Mario Williams ignited the fanbase. That was a good pick from the beginning. He was on the radar. A guy like Brown is going to take time to build up and the Texas MUST be successful.

Thats revisionist history! Iginited the fan base, more like tha fan base wanted to ignite reliant stadium in protest. Sure there were fans that support the drafting of Mario but tha majority claimed they knew better than Kubiak et al just like this year.

1st rounder (Brown) - Pitts - Meyers - Weary(?) - Winston

Nice lineup. I'm curious about that right guard spot.

Note: both starting tackles used to play tight end.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
btw, if this was really Gibbs' guy, then they probably zeroed in on him. now would you rather have them take him at 18 or try and move down and get some picks AND get the guy they want. to Gibbs, Smith, etc, they just pulled a helluva deal.
I'm sure they did the best they could but as irrational fans of course we want more :shades:

edo783

Hall of Fame
Football Futures write-up

Duane Brown OT 6’5 308 Virginia Tech
By: Robert Davis
Brown signed on with the Hokies as a tight end. He redshirted his first year in the program, then caught three passes for 64 yards and a touchdown in his first season on the field. He was moved to offensive tackle before the 2005 season, and moved into the starting lineup at right tackle. He’s been a starter at tackle since.

Brown is a very good athlete, and has a lot of upside because of his natural ability. He was a tight end just two years ago, so he has the natural athleticism, quickness, and lateral agility to be a quality pass protector in the NFL. Brown has been a solid performer on the field, but it is the upside that entices teams.

This is just his third season on the offensive line, so he is definitely a work in progress. He is relying on his talent and intensity right now because of his inexperience. He lacks consistency on the field, and may need time to develop before he steps on to the field. Brown will also need to continue to get stronger in the NFL to develop a more well rounded game.

Duane Brown has a lot of upside, and that may cause him to be taken earlier than his on field performance has shown to date. The natural gifts he has project very well to the left side in the NFL, and everyone is looking for a left tackle that can keep the quarterback standing.

Just highlighted a couple of key points.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Thats revisionist history! Iginited the fan base, more like tha fan base wanted to ignite reliant stadium in protest. Sure there were fans that support the drafting of Mario but tha majority claimed they knew better than Kubiak et al just like this year.
I didn't. I liked the Mario pick. This pick...I don't like, but will give it a try. I'm not as upset as I was earlier when it was made.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Poor draft value management on Smith, this guy could have been taken lower as he is not a fit for most NFL offenses.

We know he can coach, but I don't know how many O-lineman Gibbs has drafted?

I guess we'll never know, but I hate the idea of Arkansas Jerry & the Arlington County Criminals stepping in ahead of us on CB Jenkins.

We'll see if Brown works out....I'm fairly optimistic at this point he won't bust. Also, didn't McClain highlight Brown a while back as the pick?

An aside: getting tired of hearing Charlie Casserly taking full credit for Mario when we know Mr. McNair took Bush's name off the table (character) and Kubiak nixed Vince.

J-Russ

Veteran
Read earlier in this thread that he was one of three linemen targeted by Smith. Glad he made this trade, considering the situation we were in; williams and albert being off the board. We needed a talented LT and we got it.

GP

Go Texans!
Being a guy who bashes Schaub for being anointed as "the man," it's interesting to see so many doing the same thing: Bitching about someone they think is a "reach."

LOL. Whatsa' matter fellas? This is KUBIAK'S guy. He's the man. Deal with it.

One Olineman does not a team make. I think he'll fit in well with the other linemen, and Gibbs (to me) ties it all together.

Kubiak drafts well in the 3rd round. Wait for it....

Hey, LT has been the big problem of the offense since Bocelli. Nice to see it finally given the attention it deserves. Like others are saying, there were three tackles the Texans could take and fit their scheme. The other two were gone (and they probably had a good idea they'd be gone, too), so taking the best LT they can get for that position is great.

I understand why people are piffed. He's not bpa at #18 or #26. This was a need selection. Unfortunately, as the team gets shored up, needs will time-to-time override bpa's. I hope they look more at bpa though when they get to select again.